Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

Wakefield was 38-28 from 2007-9. Lousy run support through much of it.
    Better WHIP than ERA. But still 17-12 in '07. 10-11 in 2008, with 154 H in 181 IP,
    4.13 ERA and 1.182 WHIP. 11-5 in 2009, missing much of the 2nd half.

Wake has 4 times as many wins as Dice at a fraction of the total cost. Aren't you always talking about cost vs. performance?

Overall, he has better ERA numbers than Dice or Josh against the same inner-divisional competition. If you feel he should be hammered for lousy performances, then Dice/Josh are more guilty. It's not about bigotry. Not at all. There are plenty of posters on this board who admit not liking Wake but also admit to his contributions this year...and in years past. If Wake was ineffective this year, these posters would be all over him. You are the only one bashing him, and it's groundless.

I can understand the frustration of him or Beckett or Dice of last year, but that was then - this is now. And the facts are:
    Dice is blown out after 622 M.L. frames.
    Beckett is healthy and performing.
    Wake is again effective now that he has a steady role.
    And his age or the size of his gut is not a deterrent. Ask the hitters he faces...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Harness, knock off the pontificating moral poster nonsense!

Wake has 4 times as many wins as Dice

Not since DiceK came in 2007. He has 3 less, including this year. Pretty pitiful to take decade ago and pretend that it's this great value over DiceK. Wastefield was a loser in every post season, but you want to ignore that because it makes the fat favorite look bad. He is bad!

2004 ALCS 8.59 ERA
    2004 WS 12.27 ERA
    2005 ALD 6.75 ERA
    2007 ALCS 9.64 ERA
    2008 ALCS 16.88 ERA

Career post season ERA 6.75 Won 1 Loss 4

DiceK 

2007 ALDS 5.79 ERA
    2007 ALCS 5.59 ERA    1-1
    2007 WS 3.38   ERA 1-0
    2008 ALDS 5.40 ERA
    2008 ALCS 4.09 ERA 1-0

Career post season ERA 4.79  Won 3 Lost 1 

Wakefield stinks! Yes, DiceK has had a better career that includes WBC and professional baseball in Japan. DiceK was a better pitcher than Wakefield since joining the team in 2007.

Your bigotry towards DiceK is obvious.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wake will surpass Dice in wins over the last 3 seasons...at far less $$$.
    What on earth does the post season have to do with #5 pitchers?

Your bigotry toward Wake is blatantly obvious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Do Wake       get   200 wins and all time Sox  wins   ..  No complaints  with your hanging around for that...  if not this year then next -- then go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wake will be remembered fondly by RedSox fans for his loyalty.
    He will be remembered for breaking the all-time RedSox win record held by CY Young and Clemens.

Dice will be remembered for being a pain in the a-s-s.
    He will be remembered as a money pit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2007 and 2008 isn't "way back". Been a long time since Wakefield has had a good full season.

The absurdity is getting to be comical.

Wake was 17-12 in 2007.
    Wake was 5th in WHIP in 2008 and could easily have won 19-20 games with any decent run support.
    Wake in 2009 pitched like an allstar and was co-ace "by the numbers" before his injury.

The clown is showing is total disregard for history and logic. Wake's numbers from 2007-mid2009 are the best of any 2.5 year span of his entire career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wastefield will surpass DiceK in "wasteiline" and gopher balls.

Wastefield will be remembered as the loser he was giving up the Aaron Boone walk off!

Wastefield will be remembered as the fat old man who had to be kicked out of MLB.

DiceK will be remembered as one of the top pitchers on the 2007 regular and post season WS title team and the 2008 regular season and post season ALCS team. 

Ortiz is the face of the Red Sox winning. Wastefield is the loser face of the many losing Red Sox teams he was on. 

Don't be so sure Wastefield breaks the meaningless wheelchair record. He's about ready for his first cardiac attack, right before his first hip replacement and disc fusion surgery. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.:
    [QUOTE]2007 and 2008 isn't "way back". Been a long time since Wakefield has had a good full season. The absurdity is getting to be comical. Wake was 17-12 in 2007. Wake was 5th in WHIP in 2008 and could easily have won 19-20 games with any decent run support. Wake in 2009 pitched like an allstar and was co-ace "by the numbers" before his injury. The clown is showing is total disregard for history and logic. Wake's numbers from 2007-mid2009 are the best of any 2.5 year span of his entire career.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

And I'm thoroughly enjoying it!
    Now, stop trying to jinx the club with UR personal attendance to these games.
    The team record with you going to games the last two+ years is dreadful.

You must sacrifice for the team's sake and go hiking/fishing over the next week.
    I'll handle Softy with both hands tied...and absurdity to spare!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield was 38-28 from 2007-9. Lousy run support through much of it. Better WHIP than ERA. But still 17-12 in '07. 10-11 in 2008, with 154 H in 181 IP, 4.13 ERA and 1.182 WHIP. 11-5 in 2009, missing much of the 2nd half. Wake has 4 times as many wins as Dice at a fraction of the total cost. Aren't you always talking about cost vs. performance? Overall, he has better ERA numbers than Dice or Josh against the same inner-divisional competition. If you feel he should be hammered for lousy performances, then Dice/Josh are more guilty. It's not about bigotry. Not at all. There are plenty of posters on this board who admit not liking Wake but also admit to his contributions this year...and in years past. If Wake was ineffective this year, these posters would be all over him. You are the only one bashing him, and it's groundless. I can understand the frustration of him or Beckett or Dice of last year, but that was then - this is now. And the facts are: Dice is blown out after 622 M.L. frames. Beckett is healthy and performing. Wake is again effective now that he has a steady role . And his age or the size of his gut is not a deterrent. Ask the hitters he faces...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I guess Softy likes 'em tall, dark, and handsome. Oh; and thin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield will surpass DiceK in "wasteiline" and gopher balls. Wastefield will be remembered as the loser he was giving up the Aaron Boone walk off! Wastefield will be remembered as the fat old man who had to be kicked out of MLB. DiceK will be remembered as one of the top pitchers on the 2007 regular and post season WS title team and the 2008 regular season and post season ALCS team.  Ortiz is the face of the Red Sox winning. Wastefield is the loser face of the many losing Red Sox teams he was on.  Don't be so sure Wastefield breaks the meaningless wheelchair record. He's about ready for his first cardiac attack, right before his first hip replacement and disc fusion surgery. 
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Try again: Since Wake joined Boston, they have had their best win-loss run in their long history.

History will not bow to your bias. Obama will be remembered for cleaning up yet another Bush mess.
    Reagan will be remembered for Contra and diapers.
    Clinton will be remembered for having the strongest peace-time economy in history...and giving his staff a personal touch:)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Wake will surpass Dice in wins over the last 3 seasons...at far less $$$. What on earth does the post season have to do with #5 pitchers? Your bigotry toward Wake is blatantly obvious.

Autumn weather patterns/wind currents are not conducive to knuckleballs. In Wake's best yr, he had a microscopic 1.66 ERA going into Sep, then blew up. He blamed it on the cooler weather.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Don't worry, Softy will keep him steamin'.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield will surpass DiceK in "wasteiline" and gopher balls. Wastefield will be remembered as the loser he was giving up the Aaron Boone walk off! Wastefield will be remembered as the fat old man who had to be kicked out of MLB. DiceK will be remembered as one of the top pitchers on the 2007 regular and post season WS title team and the 2008 regular season and post season ALCS team.  Ortiz is the face of the Red Sox winning. Wastefield is the loser face of the many losing Red Sox teams he was on.  Don't be so sure Wastefield breaks the meaningless wheelchair record. He's about ready for his first cardiac attack, right before his first hip replacement and disc fusion surgery. 

Sorry guys, but he's funny; that's about it. I'll try a pun: His grinding axes are Wasted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here's another: He's overdue to be axed... by BDC.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How's this...

"Axe" him about how his projections are going this year and prepare to be axed.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

All funny! Thanks for brightening up my Sun AM.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to see him eclipse Clemens. It would be a tall order to do it this year, but possible. He's a great guy and has meant so much to this team over the years. He's filled every role ever asked of him, and pitched below market value for so many years. He's pitching well this year and is third on the team in WHIP behind Bard and Beckett. Surprisingly he only has two stolen bases against him this year throwing that knuckleball with it's low speed and movement, compared with 10 against Beckett and 15 against Lackey. How anyone could not give him the credit he is due for his services over the years to this team, including this year, is beyond me. His main detractor has as little credibility, when he bashes Wake, as he does when he tries to bash Ellsbury.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE] just my two coppers, if he's still on the team, and in position to get it done and the Sox are still good/winning, why not just embrace it?.everyone knows why the Sox didn't make the postseason the past year..pushing Wake(and Ells) out in front of that is a copout, we as fans constantly complain about the rich, spoiled, selfish players..justified in some cases..while i understand some Sox fans want a often competitive team, imo they've pretty much gotten that the past 6-7 seasons...take from me every season can't be perfect it takes a lot of factors one being players who understand the teams needs and does their job, which he does more times than not....imo this game will have been better for having Tim Wakefield in it..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's Saturday!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It's Saturday!

Sorry. BTW, I'm going to Sunday's game as well, as an excuse for getting a suntan (or visa versa), which is why for day games I try to sit near LF.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away. : just my two coppers, if he's still on the team, and in position to get it done and the Sox are still good/winning, why not just embrace it?.everyone knows why the Sox didn't make the postseason the past year..pushing Wake(and Ells) out in front of that is a copout, we as fans constantly complain about the rich, spoiled, selfish players..justified in some cases..while i understand some Sox fans want a often competitive team, imo they've pretty much gotten that the past 6-7 seasons...take from me every season can't be perfect it takes a lot of factors one being players who understand the teams needs and does their job, which he does more times than not....imo this game will have been better for having Tim Wakefield in it..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Don't expect to get invited to Softy's Inaugural Ball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's interesting. I don't really care about the "record." Never have thought about it. My mantra has been what did Wakefield do to deserve getting pulled out of the 5-man rotation in the first place. Basicallly a year and a month of being yo-yoed, and that's given nobetterthanamoron and others their constant Wake rips. The guy has/was/is performing as good as other starters who throw conventional pitches. Aceves and Lackey both have had recent implosions that I believe had Tim done would have been met with a ton of anti-Wake posts. While I appreciate the fans on this thread who root for Wakefield and have been for a long time, the roys, the harnesses, moons, alibi, and few others, I'm not so sure if some of the others on this thread were trying to tell me he was a "6th starter." It's an insult to Wakefield, but one created by the Sox FO/Manager when Lackey was signed to now what many believe is the worst contract in possibly Sox history (Renteria certainly another). I still believe Tito lost faith in him, but he should never have lost faith in him. Wake's track record is consistent. He is as good of a starter in a No. 4 or No. 5 role as there is out there. And this is after his "demotion."

But I wonder who will be defending Wake in his next bad start. I bet you will see all those guys who can't wait to use his age and pitch against him to come out in droves here....and of course, betternotwastemytime, who can't stand Wakes throwing 3-hitters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just watch, danny. Tito will lose confidence after just 2 bad starts. He's part of the anti-Wake gang. Wake is starting now out of necessity not by Tito's choice. Any slight excuse and he'll be back in mop up duty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Just watch, danny. Tito will lose confidence after just 2 bad starts. He's part of the anti-Wake gang. Wake is starting now out of necessity not by Tito's choice. Any slight excuse and he'll be back in mop up duty.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Any rumor you went to the game last night? I did, and shall be back Sunday. Want to say hi?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]The only reason Wastefield was resigned in 2009 was "the record", which is meaningless in import. And for those claiming that he'd have been put in spots to get wins, or started the entire time to get wins, remember that we are talking about Wastefield. Epstein is simply using a roster spot to try and mop and mulch. It reminds me of the circus, where you pay a dollar to see the fattest lady in the world. It's the sideshow act that has nothing to do with the main act.

Perhaps the reason he was resigned in 2009 is the same reason he's been here since.....a comparatively low cost insurance policy.  Dice-K on the shelf for the season, Buch on the DL, and Beckett pooping his brains out (literally I'd imagine), he's filling a need.  He'll generally eat up innings, will give up runs in bunches on some days, very few on others.  Softie, what exactly do you expect for a 5th, or in Wake's case, emergency starter?  You're obession with Wake being on this team at one time was slightly amusing, then kinda' silly, now very sad.  He's on the team, he's fulfilling his role (even if he gets shelled tonight) and he'll probably be here next season for the same reasons.  I recommend you resign yourself to that fact.  BTW - would you prefer Lackey over Wake?  Didn't think so.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

Tim the cockroach Wakefield will right the ship tonight.