Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

Truth isn't comedy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.:
    [QUOTE]Truth isn't comedy.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

You mean like Wakefield getting the final strikeout in a game played 48 yrs before he was born? Did he make enough money from his homerun service to buy a time machine? If one exists, they're pretty expensive, even with his income. And travelling in the past would make a liar out of Einstein, but there's a way around it; they'll be another purple doppler phase in 30 Billion yrs, where history gets repeated. This means you & harness can do this again, and you'll be right. You then won't be a comedian, but a sports historian. Maybe Wake can stop Harry Frazee from breaking up the team too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I have a 31 inch waist and a full head of hair. What you see in the mirror, daily, is a paunched and balding man who is living off of the property of other people. The real Tim Wastefield is the home run service for the Red Sox, pitching batting practice to the opposing team.

31 inches! I am jealous! I don't mean to upset UR ancestry, but people do retire/semi-retire long before it's mandatory without living off other taxpayers. Ever hear of residuals? Investments?

You remind me of my 17 years living in the bible belt - of a horseless carriage going backwards. Oh, how I miss the gun tottin' bible thumpers who claim the earth is 8000 years old...thought patters of circular suffocation and secular scope.

Where the true foreign language is truth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Yes, I've heard of investments and residuals and retirement being confused with a SS check subsidy.

The bible belt is a bigoted slur. You remind me of the many hedonist death bed converts who suddenly reach for the Bible and claim to regret a lifelong practice of worshiping people and things. Death bed regrets aren't contrition, they are attempted deal making.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I hardly worship people/things. Never have. Never will. A wise man once said:
    God has nothing to do with religion.
    I doubt you'd ever understand.

SS subsidy has age restrictions, Sherlock. Those who reach that age have
    earned it - literally. I hope to get there one day, but dealing with idiocy and narrow minded individuals may compromise my chances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away. : Interesting fact: You are dead from the neck up.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Awe a threat is it?  Finally stooped low enough to make threats, death ones at that.  

At least that is how I will report it to fellow man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You never heard of dead from the neck up?
    What is the proper terminology for braindead in Cambodia?
    Or is such a phenomenon common-place out there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am certain anyone still alive from 1994 in Pittsburgh and who were at the game spent most of the first five innings scratching their head and asking "hey isn't that the young fella we released, that goofy pitching kid ?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm confused. You said earlier nobody at the game was alive when Wake first pitched.  Foot - meet Burrito's big mouth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

Last 56 games played by tim ( i pitched during the potato famine ) wakefield... Boston Red Sox Team Record... 16 WINS... 40 LOSSES... INCLUDING 35 STARTS!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wastefield's being given 6 days or more between his few starts. I want him to take the ball every 5 days, for several starts in a row.

Good to see you finally bothered to read a post or look at the numbers. You lowered your lies from 10 days off between starts to 6. Wake joined the "regular roation" on May 22nd.

For the record:
    Sox starts since May 22nd (35 days):
    Dice-K:  0
    Aceves: 3 - 6.19 ERA  (16IP/11 ER)
    Lackey:  4 - 6.26 ERA  (23IP/16ER)
    Buch:      5 - 3.60 ERA  (30 IP/12 ER)
    Beck:      5 - 2.08 ERA (34.2/8 ER)
    Lester:   6  - 3.63 ERA (39.2/16 ER)
    Wake:     7  - 4.17 ERA (45.1/21 ER)

Time to move the goalposts and find another stat (like HR/9) to bash Wake with.

Wake has more starts and more IP than any other Sox starter since May 22nd.  Bash his 4.17 ERA all you want, go back to mid 2009, neglect his great WHIP, whatever it takes: keep bashing those who prove you wrong again and again. This is comical.

Typical for a clown.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Wastefield's being given 6 days or more between his few starts. I want him to take the ball every 5 days, for several starts in a row. Good to see you finally bothered to read a post or look at the numbers. You lowered your lies from 10 days off between starts to 6. Wake joined the "regular roation" on May 22nd. For the record: Sox starts since May 22nd (35 days): Dice-K:  0 Aceves: 3 - 6.19 ERA  (16IP/11 ER) Lackey:  4 - 6.26 ERA  (23IP/16ER) Buch:      5 - 3.60 ERA  (30 IP/12 ER) Beck:      5 - 2.08 ERA (34.2/8 ER) Lester:   6  - 3.63 ERA (39.2/16 ER) Wake:     7  - 4.17 ERA (45.1/21 ER) Time to move the goalposts and find another stat (like HR/9) to bash Wake with. Wake has more starts and more IP than any other Sox starter since May 22nd.  Bash his 4.17 ERA all you want, go back to mid 2009, neglect his great WHIP, whatever it takes: keep bashing those who prove you wrong again and again. This is comical. Typical for a clown.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

He did; he called it the Wastefield home run service. Check back a day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, the guy gave up a 3-run homer. I'm trying to think will this be classified as a "bad start" and like you said, if he gives up 5 runs in his next start, you may be right about his standing in the rotation. It's always start-to-start in Tito's mind with Tim. I don't think he pitched great, or well, he pitched ok, but he did get through six innings and during the Sox hitting binge, this would have been a Sox win. Lackey would have been applauded by your favorite antagonist.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

Last 56 games... 250 innings pitched... zero saves.. zero holds.. 36 Homeruns allowed.. 5.47 ERA.. Boston Red Sox Team record 16 wins... 40 losses!     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]Truth isn't comedy.

Must explain your so-silly-they're-funny posts - untrue in most respects.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away. : Must explain your so-silly-they're-funny posts - untrue in most respects.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

Betterdeadthanred posts are mostly fiction-or another words pure BS.  In a former life I heard he earned a living as BOZO the clown.

Hetchinspete.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]moon, the guy gave up a 3-run homer. I'm trying to think will this be classified as a "bad start" and like you said, if he gives up 5 runs in his next start, you may be right about his standing in the rotation. It's always start-to-start in Tito's mind with Tim. I don't think he pitched great, or well, he pitched ok, but he did get through six innings and during the Sox hitting binge, this would have been a Sox win. Lackey would have been applauded by your favorite antagonist.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Boston hit 3 homers to the Pirates one. 3 HRs off a guy with a 2.54 ERA going into the game.
    Yet all we hear about is the HR Wake surrendered. How about the shoddy defense behind him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Miller, Aceves and Doubrant giving up innings for Wastefield is an embarrassment that Theo welcomes because of Wastefield's popularity. Theo should have been fired for not giving Lowell away or releasing him. If you want to do what's popular at the moment, run for office and promise something for nothing and a moral code based upon what feels good to two, not three, consenting adults. 

It's very important to provide youth with experience. Clinging to old washed up players like Lowell, Wakefield and Varitek should be an embarrassment to any believer in logic. 

Varitek is clearly lobbying for 2 or 3 more years, and Wakefield has backed off his retirement talk to state that if his role doesn't change then he will consider playing in Tampa. Red Sox management has been trying to make the Red Sox fit Wakefield. While they were correct in keeping him out of the rotation, they were incorrect in parking him on the pen bench. While some will claim that Miller wasn't ready, isn't proven, Aceves has pitched better in a pen role, Doubrant was on the DL, isn't proven, and Wakefield is simply important depth who has pitched well as a starter; the fact is that he is taking away time from youth and it is highly likely that putting youth in those innings would produce equal or better overall production. 

Once again, with Miller showing that youth, even if inconsistent, has a much higher potential to excel against the younger talent in MLB. Yet, here we are, waiting for Buch to return from the DL, and still no decisive decision making as to what's next. Once again, Wakefield is still there, standing between time and youth. 

I started a thread on this subject, and have waited for all posters to commit on which one of the old veterans they would bring back next year, and why. Any person of logic would understand that the Red Sox need to cement decisons and implement plans that do not include a playing future for Wakefield and Varitek. It is unlikley that two short time veterans, Drew and Cameron will be given even a thought as to a MLBPA cheap one year contract. Though younger and more fit than Wakefield and Varitek, they have a much better case for a 4th OF'er spot for one more year. However, neither has a good case. The Red Sox need to use AAA for OF depth and they need to find a solid young MLB proven RH OF'er. Crawford is going to be a black hole value OF'er, but is obviously here long term. Over the winter, the Red Sox need to subtract the most expensive and highest trade value LH young OF'er, Ellsbury, and add a solid young RH OF'er to Crawford. Reddick or Kalish should take over the remaining starting OF spot, with the other waiting in AAA for injury, etc. Kemp should be one of the top targets. The 4th OF'er should be a younger RH OF veteran profile like Gomes or Ross. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

Harness,
    In case you havn't noticed... the red sox play shoddy defense when wakefield is pitching quite often! Some players are better than others at making the players around them better... wakefield is not one of those players. It probably has something to do with a 5.47 ERA in his last 56 games... 250 innings pitched... 16 wins & 40 losses... and getting a sore neck from having to turn around to watch 36 wakefield meatballs get served & get crushed and land in the seats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wakefield has backed off his retirement talk to state that if his role doesn't change then he will consider playing in Tampa.

Nothing on Drew's talk of retirement, then playing on cruise control for 3 months while collecting "union slug money"?

Red Sox management has been trying to make the Red Sox fit Wakefield. While they were correct in keeping him out of the rotation, they were incorrect in parking him on the pen bench.

Based on what?

The team going 5-4 in his starts (blowing at least 2 of them with poor fielding and bull pen implosions)?

His ERA and WHIP as a starter since joining the regular rotaion?

Oh yes, his HR% is too high. That's the new found stat to bash with.

While some will claim that Miller wasn't ready, isn't proven...

Miller clearly needed time to regain his stuff in the minors.
    He was horrible before his last 25.1 innings in AAA (5 ER/3 BB).
    His first 40.1 IP (13 ER/ 32 BB).

I guess Wake's 9 starts this year is too small to judge by; you need to go to mid 2009 to try and prove your idiocy, but apparnetly you are now judging Miller in 2 starts and 11.2 IP and a 1.457 WHIP (3.09 ERA).

Aceves has pitched better in a pen role

Yes, proven and worse as a starter this year.

Doubrant was on the DL, isn't proven

Being on the DL was easily provable.

...and Wakefield is simply important depth who has pitched well as a starter; the fact is that he is taking away time from youth and it is highly likely that putting youth in those innings would produce equal or better overall production. 

I keep asking: you never answer.

Who is the "young pitcher" Wake is keeping down?

Couldn't you more easily say Lackey is keeping this mirage down?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Aceves, Miller, you obtuse egghead.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Aceves, Miller, you obtuse egghead.
    You've said that Aceves will never be more than a bullpen guy. Now you're ignoring your own previously stated opinions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away. : You've said that Aceves will never be more than a bullpen guy. Now you're ignoring your own previously stated opinions.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

We all make mistakes; even betterdeadthanblue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

The starters are... Lester, Becket, Lackey, Miller, & Bucholtz.. when Bucholtz comes off the DL. Aceves is the spot starter. Whoever gets sent down.. would have a greater value on the roster.. than filling the roster spot with wakefield. wakefield can't enter games with runners on base, he is not the set-up guy, he doesn't close. having wakefield on the roster.. limits the options.. coming out of the bull-pen! If only Scutaro would locate wakefield's baseball glove & put it on the next " shuttle flight " into outer orbit!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

That two years of work with the inconsistent manner in which he is currently (and has been in the past couple hears)  pitching.  It would be a nice accomplishment for a nice guy, but as a practical manner probably won't and, for hte betterment of the team no special effort should be made to allow it to happen.