Tim Wakefield starts on Friday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Tim Wakefield starts on Friday

Francona just made the announcement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield starts on Friday

Wow.  Interesting.  If Wake's up for it, it's hard to blame Francona for doing this, given his last start--almost ruined by the bullpen. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Go, Tim!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

NESN:
    Tim Wakefield will make his second start of the season when the Red Sox open a four-game series against the Minnesota Twins on Friday night.

Manager Terry Francona made the announcement on Thursday afternoon following a series finale with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The move was designed to buy a little more time for Daisuke Matsuzaka, the originally scheduled starter who pitched in relief in the 13th inning of Wednesday's affair, which ended early the next morning.

"Just want to try to put a day in between for Dice, for obvious reasons, because he pitched last night, or this morning," Francona said.

When he finally steps to the mound again, Matsuzaka will have gone eight days between starts. He left his prior outing last Friday after just four-plus innings when he experienced tightness in his elbow.

Wakefield will be followed by Clay Buchholz, Matsuzaka and Jon Lester in the finale of the Twins series on Monday opposite Francisco Liriano. Josh Beckett, whose outing Wednesday night was cut short by a lengthy rain delay, will start the opener of a two-game set in Toronto on Tuesday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

um... so he's starting Wake because Dice just pitched in Wednesday's game.  That's all fine and good, but Wake pitched in that game too (yes he only faced 3 batters, but that was following his own start).

I guess it all works out if Wake hasn't thrown a side session like starters usually do, but some insight into that would have been nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Looks like your are one of the few who are not blaming him cuz they aint winnin.
    I expect wake to get lit up tomorrow. He pitched his one good game in 7. I would not start him again for awhile, but leave it to francona to come up with another way to lose a game. Best guess is 3+ innings 6ER. BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG ON THIS PREDICTION!

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield starts on Friday:
    [QUOTE]Go, Tim!
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like your are one of the few who are not blaming him cuz they aint winnin. I expect wake to get lit up tomorrow. He pitched his one good game in 7 last time out. I would not start him again for awhile, but

Best guess is 3+ innings 6ER. BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG ON THIS PREDICTION! In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield starts on Friday :
    Posted by REDSOX-11[/QUOTE]

Why do you suppose those experts voted Tito 4th place for Mgr of the year??????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope Tito doesn't jerk Wake around like last year when he wentfrom stater to relief and back 10 times with 4 times of 8-11 days rest inbetween.

Wake's recent activity...

Wake...
    started May 1st (5.2 IP/76 pitches)
    3 days rest
    relieved May 4th (0.2 IP/12 pitches)
    2 days rest...
    Gets the start on May 6th.

I guess 12 pitches isn't a lot and it was probably his normal "throwing day" anyways.

I guess  it's one advantage of throwing the knuckleball.

Here' how Tito has it worked out:
    May 1: Wake
    May 2: Buch
    May 3: Lester
    May 4: Beckett (short start)
    May 5: Lackey
    May 6: Wake
    May 7: Buch
    May 8: Dice-K
    May 9: Lester (+1 day rest)
    May10: Beck (+1)
    May 11: Lack (+1)
    Day off
    13 @ NYY Buch
    14 @ NYY Dice-K (+1) or Lester
    15 @ NYY Lester (+1) or Beckett

If Tito had used just one of Wake or Dice-K on May 4th, it may have worked out better. This way Dice-K will pitch in NY or get 2extra days off for hisnext start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like your are one of the few who are not blaming him cuz they aint winnin. I expect wake to get lit up tomorrow. He pitched his one good game in 7 last time out. I would not start him again for awhile, but leave it to francona to come up with another way to lose a game. Best guess is 3+ innings 6ER. BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG ON THIS PREDICTION! In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield starts on Friday :
    Posted by REDSOX-11[/QUOTE]
    Just 1?

May 4th, .2 IP 0H, 1BB, 0ER, 0K's WHIP = 1.50
    May 1st, 5.2 IP, 3H, 1BB, 1ER, 3K's WHIP = 0.705
    April 27th, 1 IP, 0H, 0BB, 0ER, 1K WHIP = 0.00
    April 18th, 1 IP, 1H (a HR), 0BB, 1ER, 0K's WHIP = 1.00
    April 11th, 3.1 IP, 6H, 1BB, 4ER, 0K's WHIP = 2.10
    April 9th, 2 IP, 0H, 0BB, 0 ER, 1K WHIP = 0.00
    April 6th, 2 IP, 1H (a HR), 0BB, 1 ER, 2K's WHIP = 0.50

Looks like he only has 1 bad outing, and 2 outings where he gave up just 1 baserunner and it ended up being a HR.  He only has 2 outings in his last 7 with a WHIP over 1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Oh, boy, the stopper is going to resume his lights out pre-injury form.........................................

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

Yikes!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They continue to baby their 100 million dollar investment.
    Funny how little time it took Wake to warm up before bailing out Oki.
    Took Dice two innings to get "warm".

Perhaps he should have started warming up during the rain delay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Harness...everyone knows that a knuckleballer has less stress on his arm.  That's why so many of them pitch well into their 40's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Exactly! Which is why Wake's so versatile - and has such value.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Funny how little time it took Wake to warm up before bailing out Oki.
    Took Dice two innings to get "warm".

Who cares how long it takes to warm up, and what a joke with the "bailing out Oki" garbage. Oki, unlike Wakefield, pitched in 3 separate innings, giving up one run. Wakefield came in and did about zilch, walking a guy and then giving up the Sac fly when a K was needed. He pitching exactly one partial inning, and was his usual goofball self.

Wakefield doesn't warm up, he throws a goofball from his couch.

Although I'm as big a Red Sox fan as any, there is more baseball outside of Boston. Unlike Wakefield, DiceK has had 2 low ERA seasons out of 4, and has a lower ERA so far this year, in addition to being a winning hero in the WBC, as well as a legend in Japan. Wakefield is just an old goofball pitcher who has had nothing but a long and very average and down career. The only reason he's still on the team is because a lot of fans identify with him because he shares more characterstics with them. DiceK comes from a country that most Red Sox fans don't care for it's people. That's a fact. The bigotry towards DiceK and Oki is embarrassing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pity you don't appreciate the art of throwing the knuckle-ball: The single hardest pitch to master. Instead of crediting him for this accomplishment, you rip him apart as if he represents something vile and appalling to you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

[QUOTE]Yikes!
    Posted by DEBeardsr[/QUOTE]

Can anyone understand why I posted "YIKES" earlier on this forum? I have never been a fan of Wakefield and never will be. The only reason he should be on the field is to announce that he is giving it up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Doesn't Minnesota have the worse offense in MLB?  How can Wake give up all these runs?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Yes, Harness, the "art" of throwing the goofball was on full display last night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

And here the last 3 years I thought the Yankees would collapse under the weight of their old age - but looks like Tek and Wake beat them to it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

It is pathetic that Francona continuously runs out a pitcher that essentially thows batting practice. Also blame Theo for putting together this very dissapointing 2011 team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]It is pathetic that Francona continuously runs out a pitcher that essentially thows batting practice. Also blame Theo for putting together this very dissapointing 2011 team.
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

Do you always post the exact same thing in multiple threads?  Do you have anything more to offer?  We get it.  You don't like Wake.   Please show us you have more in your bag of tricks than this.

Sections
Shortcuts