Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeZ. Show MikeZ's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer

Good night Irene. Tanx for the memories...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wakefield was his own worst enemy...i truly believe that if he didnt try to force the sox's hand by stating that the fans owe it to themselves to see him go for the record, or his agent boasting about winning 15 games with Any TEAM, he wouldvebeen offered some type of contract....given those ill-timed remarks after the demise of the sox in septemeber (which Wake played a big part in), that was dumb

no contract anywhere for Wakie....i think his best option is to wait things out until teams start losing starters and he steps in for a desperate team....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I am one of those fans who would like to see him unseat Clemens, but most of you would still rather have a liar and a roid user, keep it!
    You all are pathetic!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Wakefield will accept a 1 - year deal for $1.5MM and be in spring training.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In our house we call him the company man,he does whatever is good for the team and yes they should offer him a contract. He's a good person and for a guy who's approaching Social Security retirement age he should be allowed to continue in his quest to be the winningest pitcher in Sox history! We surely don't want Clemens sitting on top of the heap!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Yes, it's time to retire.  Wakefield has been a warrior for the Red Sox.  I would only keep him if he agrees to a limited 1 year contract.  Put him in a position that if he doesn't do well he retires.  Wouldn't be hard to develop some goals or else situations.  It makes no sence with the pitchers we have now to sign Wakefield to a multiple year contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

MestFanFromMich, so can we apply that logic with Miller too? If he doesn't pitch 150 innings, he should retire? Or maybe all the Red Sox should retire if they don't do well. Apparently, "doing well" only applies to older veteran pitchers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

is Miller 80? and does Miller own 5 cosecutive loser seasons?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer:
    [QUOTE]I am one of those fans who would like to see him unseat Clemens, but most of you would still rather have a liar and a roid user, keep it! You all are pathetic!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

actually i think clemen's sox record is legit....he mightve gone into the hall of fame if he retired then...not a juicer then...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

He's a good person and for a guy who's approaching Social Security retirement age he should be allowed to continue in his quest to be the winningest pitcher in Sox history!

This is why a beer gut old man keeps being brought back and paid millions. Clearly, the overwhelming majority of posters have had enough of the Tim Wakefield MLB contract active roster "see the fatest old man in baseball in the world pitch" circus act!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

offer him a 1 day contract let him retire as a Red Sox 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

As of this post 41 voters have said 'No contract of any kind for Wake" and 37 want to sign him to either a Major League or Minor League contract. 

41-37 is now an "overwhelming majority"? 

Keep spinning, Softy!  Just remember what someone a lot older and wiser than either of us once told me, "Your saying it doesn't make it true."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

It isn't spin to see that overwhelming majority do not want Wastefield getting a MLB contract offer. S5, Wastefield is a bad circus act and an insult to baseball performance merit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

True enough, but that wasn't the question posed.  The question was whether or not he gets offered a CONTRACT and 37 posters want to offer him a contract, whether it be major league or minor league, as opposed to the 41 who want Wake gone.  That's hardly an overwhelming majority.

Let me be clear about this - I don't want Wake as my #2, 3, or even #4 pitcher although he may have a stretch during mid-summer when he's good enough to be one!  I want him for a #5/6 guy and I want him to be paid like a #5/6 guy. 

It's becoming more and more obvious that BC isn't going to pay big $$$ to sign a first-line pitcher or even mediocre $$ to sign a second-line pitcher.  He's looking for what might be value in the market.  In short, he wants to throw several of pitchers up against the wall and see what sticks. 

While $1.5MM makes a huge stack of $1 bills, it's still chump change in today's market - it's the going price for a pitcher who's on the downside of his career but might have enough left to help a team.  And if he doesn't you say the same thing about him that the Sox have said about several pitchers in that situation, "Oh well.  We tried and it didn't work."

I maintain that for the kind of money they'd pay him he's worth the gamble.

And I seriously doubt that he's, "the fattest old man in baseball in the world".  Have you looked around much??  :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]So, not knowing who would get pushed off the 40 man if he was on the 25 man roster come spring ... I'd like the following scenario to play out. offer him a minor league contract and invite to ST. During ST one of the following happens ... he looks decent and get added to the roster, he gets "tweaked" and goes on extended ST or he realizes he's done and retires a Sox. Given that Cook and Silva can assumingly be stashed in Pawtucket until May / June (and btw, you can criticize Wake as much as you want, but no one can tell me either of these guys has been any better then him these last 2 years) I just think Wake is no worse an answer as long as he's willing to "retire" or be "DL'd" if he struggles.
    Posted by Bunts[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.  Very logical.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

You will see Tim Wakefield in a Red Sox uniform again....probably sometime around the All-Star break.  If there are any injuries to starters, or if there are any major faulters in the bullpen, I think there is a good chance you can see Wakefield take the mound again at Fenway.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

[QUOTE]is Miller 80? and does Miller own 5 cosecutive loser seasons?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes, Miller had 5 consecutive losing years until he went 6-3 with Boston last year. His lifetime stats are 21W-29L, 5.79 ERA, 1.75WHIP, 288K,215BB in 359.1 IP. He is not 80 but pitches like he is. He has never had a successful season (unless you count last year, and I do not. He beat some cream puffs before he blew up). Wake has had success in the past and Miller's highest IP year was 107.1 in 2008. Even last year, Wake had 154.2 IP and has exceeded 150 IP 13 times in his career. Wake has 200 wins over 19 seasons as opposed to Miller who has 21 wins over 6 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The horror, thinking about Wastefield coming back to Red Sox mound, around AS break! The team is toast, if it carts this circus act back out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I thought I would self laudatory and post total bump this thread up, like Slavic moon behind does, year after year after year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer : Actually, yes, Miller had 5 consecutive losing years until he went 6-3 with Boston last year. His lifetime stats are 21W-29L, 5.79 ERA, 1.75WHIP, 288K,215BB in 359.1 IP. He is not 80 but pitches like he is. He has never had a successful season (unless you count last year, and I do not. He beat some cream puffs before he blew up). Wake has had success in the past and Miller's highest IP year was 107.1 in 2008. Even last year, Wake had 154.2 IP and has exceeded 150 IP 13 times in his career. Wake has 200 wins over 19 seasons as opposed to Miller who has 21 wins over 6 years.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

Embarassed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer : Actually, yes, Miller had 5 consecutive losing years until he went 6-3 with Boston last year. His lifetime stats are 21W-29L, 5.79 ERA, 1.75WHIP, 288K,215BB in 359.1 IP. He is not 80 but pitches like he is. He has never had a successful season (unless you count last year, and I do not. He beat some cream puffs before he blew up). Wake has had success in the past and Miller's highest IP year was 107.1 in 2008. Even last year, Wake had 154.2 IP and has exceeded 150 IP 13 times in his career. Wake has 200 wins over 19 seasons as opposed to Miller who has 21 wins over 6 years.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

Brilliant poster who rarely shows up. Too bad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]I think you sign Wake and begin the year with him until/unless one of the questionable singings (Cook, Silva, etc.) prove they are better than Wake. Wake has a demonstrated ability to eat innings and can pitch in the AL East. He has certainly lost a lot of his edge over the years, but he is far more proven than the others currently in the fold. He is a low cost signing that the Sox could release at any time in the season. Of all the chum that the Sox have on board at the moment, Wake appears to be the best place holder until Dice K attemps his comeback.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]
    I agree. With the state of the back end of our rotation being what it is, it would be foolhardy not to even consider offering him something. You lose nothing with a minor league deal, stashing him in Pawtucket until he's needed (if he'd accept that arrangement...if not he can walk).

But some posters' personal dislike for Wake will keep them from ever being objective on this matter. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]is Miller 80? and does Miller own 5 cosecutive loser seasons?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Me, I don't call 38 wins and a 4.48 ERA over 82 starts in 07-09 "loser"...but 5 sounds better than 2, so let's just go with that. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I am one of those fans who would like to see him unseat Clemens, but most of you would still rather have a liar and a roid user, keep it! You all are pathetic!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Here's a simple question: Does anyone on this board really care about the all time Red Sox win record and Wakefield achieving it? Given all of our own responsibilities (jobs, homes, kids, parents, etc) who thinks about Tim Wakefield going after the all time RS win record?

No one.

Sections
Shortcuts