Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield will accept a 1 - year deal for $1.5MM and be in spring training.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Never will they offer him that much. Maybe a $500-750K Minor league deal. Punto will only make $1.75M and he is the backup infielder, and 11 years younger.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ali have you ever heard of Cy Young?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c_id=bos#sectionType=sp&playerType=ALL&statType=pitching&page_type=SortablePlayer&season=&season_type=ALL&sportCode='mlb'&league_code='MLB'&split=&team_id=111&active_sw=&game_type='R'&position='1'&sortOrder='desc'&sortColumn=w&results=&page=1&perPage=50&timeframe=&extended=0&last_x_days=&ts=1326380829725&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitching

Wakefield has hundreds of more earned runs than Young or Clemens. Cy Young also started a lot less games in Boston than Clemens and still had as many innings pitched... Young blows Clemens doors off, and both Young and Clemens crush Wakefield. He does not deserve the record - it is just too bad Clemens did not win one less game in his time here.

Oh there is one record Tim does hold - he is the all*time losses leader in franchise history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer : Hank is like Arod's face and greenwellforpresident is Varitek's glove....someone stop the bleeding...nicely done again Gator
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Ha, thanks I think.  For some reason his inane posts were getting under my skin more than normal yesterday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

These are the Team Pitching Records that Wakefield currently holds:

Most Losses
    Games Started
    Innings Pitched
    Hits Allowed
    Runs Allowed
    Earned Runs
    Home Runs
    Base on Balls

Tim Wakefield owns most of those records by a HUGE-AZZ margin. If he pitches one more year in Boston he may also claim Most Wins, and Total Games; Bob Stanley holds the Total Games record 47 more than Tim.

Honestly the medals Tim owns are for the most part the medals you would never want to win. He does not deserve to claim Cy Young's spot off the top of the Total Wins, especially when each off those wins are so far in between and so painful to watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If you pitch on a team from 1995 to 2011, continuously, and you throw more than 150 innings a year and a slew at 200 IP, you will lead all the categories mentioned in the last post. Few pitchers have a longevity with any team, let alone in today's baseball.  He helped the team win 2 WS titles and allowed Francona to set up his starting staff to win especially in 2004. He has countless moments in which he ended Sox losing streaks as a stopper (a la Tiant) or threw a big game when the team was faltering. He's not a top of the line starter (except for 92, 95), but he's always been good enough to pitch in the rotation, and he won 2 ALCS games in 03, but only gets remembered for allowing the Boone homer. So honestly, I am sick of the bashing for this pitcher in comparison to others over the years who truly should be bashed. Instead, we get these threads. The pitcher isn't even invited back by management, and yet you still keep this thread going...bravo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]If you pitch on a team from 1995 to 2011, continuously, and you throw more than 150 innings a year and a slew at 200 IP, you will lead all the categories mentioned in the last post. Few pitchers have a longevity with any team, let alone in today's baseball.  He helped the team win 2 WS titles and allowed Francona to set up his starting staff to win especially in 2004. He has countless moments in which he ended Sox losing streaks as a stopper (a la Tiant) or threw a big game when the team was faltering. He's not a top of the line starter (except for 92, 95), but he's always been good enough to pitch in the rotation, and he won 2 ALCS games in 03, but only gets remembered for allowing the Boone homer. So honestly, I am sick of the bashing for this pitcher in comparison to others over the years who truly should be bashed. Instead, we get these threads. The pitcher isn't even invited back by management, and yet you still keep this thread going...bravo.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Amen!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes Cy Young, Louis Tiant, and the others in the top 5 should be bashed. u2 need to get on the same plane, the one bound for Nutty Ville

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

These are the Team Pitching Records that Wakefield currently holds:

Most Losses
    Games Started
    Innings Pitched
    Hits Allowed
    Runs Allowed
    Earned Runs
    Home Runs
    Base on Balls

3 out of 4 voters, on a huge sample size for this site, have had enough of Tim Wastefield millions in cost circus. To allow him the remote chance to move ahead of Cy Young would be an insult to the integrity of baseball. Fat 45 year old men with 5 plus ERA's spanning more than 2 seasons have no business on a MLB roster.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i really want to see the ball given to the ytoungsters like bowden, tarzawa, felix...etc over Wake....he really has become counterproductive....even as middle relief he poses prolems because of his passed balls/steals allowed..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]These are the Team Pitching Records that Wakefield currently holds: Most Losses Games Started Innings Pitched Hits Allowed Runs Allowed Earned Runs Home Runs Base on Balls 3 out of 4 voters, on a huge sample size for this site, have had enough of Tim Wastefield millions in cost circus. To allow him the remote chance to move ahead of Cy Young would be an insult to the integrity of baseball. Fat 45 year old men with 5 plus ERA's spanning more than 2 seasons have no business on a MLB roster.  
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

46% of respondents want him to return to the Sox organisation on either a major or minor league contract.  Personally, I'd like to return on a minor league contract and see how things go.  As your daddy Moonslav has pointed out many, many times Wake was a decent 6/7 starter last year, better than most teams' 5.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer:
    [QUOTE]Do you offer him a contract or not? One of the greatest Red Sox citizens since Moses. Pure class act, according to the NYT and other definitive authorities on character.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Master Softlaw still awaiting account that won't eventually be deleted along with all his posings, so I'll kindly preserve this one for him. 

-Daf. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Since this club is being rebuilt it's time to unload aging stars. Wouldn't they probably be worse next year than they have been in recent years? Isn't it reasonable to predict that their aging skills would deteriorate even further in the future? Let the young players have a chance to make their mark. I say no to both Wakefield and Varitek.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE] Since this club is being rebuilt it's time to unload aging stars. Wouldn't they probably be worse next year than they have been in recent years? Isn't it reasonable to predict that their aging skills would deteriorate even further in the future? Let the young players have a chance to make their mark. I say no to both Wakefield and Varitek.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

I'm not a cheerleader for either Wake or Tek, but can you give examples of backup catchers and nbr 6/7 starters that outperformed those two in 2011?

Unlike Haywood Sullivan, I'd drop my kid if he wasn't up to it (or my mum)....but the facts is those two were good value-for-money substitutes in 2011.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Tim Wakefield Still Awaiting Red Sox Contract Offer : Master Softlaw still awaiting account that won't eventually be deleted along with all his posings, so I'll kindly preserve this one for him.  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

Daf - I assume "posings" was a typo but, if so, a Freudian typo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Yes Cy Young, Louis Tiant, and the others in the top 5 should be bashed. u2 need to get on the same plane, the one bound for Nutty Ville
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Obviously you don't have the ability to comprehend that the longevity of Wakefield continiously pitching for the Sox for 17 seasons is what I'm referring to (3006 IP, only Clemens was even close), and I meant bashing other pitchers who have pitched poorly for Sox instead of Wakefield, who has bailed the team out many a time. Of course, your ignorant response only further shows you really have no comprehension. Tiant, Young, are Sox greats, for the record and for those who like twice-grilled, don't comprehend well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Great thanks dcater, you can have Tim Wakefield on your team... I choose not to have him. Wakefield has not received even one offer outside of Boston - but go ahead and insult me a dozen times over my "ignorance" Ignorance is probably the most misused word on the forum.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Burrito, my point is that you really don't understand how much Wakefield has meant to the Sox history and Sox success over the years. His very presence saved many a pitching staff. He just threw a pitch that few understand and I think his failures as a Sox get way over-blown in comparison to how many great games, super efforts and even stretches of down-right brilliance he has shown between 1995-2011. Maybe his time has come, but between you and a few others who continually bash him, it's just a little disturbing to know how little Wakefield was appreciated here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox would never have been in a 7th game v. the 2003 Yankees without Wakefield (2 wins over a monster Yankee lineup). The team would not have won the '95 Pennant without him (top 3 in Cy Young voting). It's pretty apparent that the '04 may never have happened without his own sacrifice for the team by giving up his scheduled start to relieve in a blowout. Then throwing 3 innings of super relief to win one of the final 4 games in the greatest comeback in MLB history.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Give him his day but he is done enough with that embarrassing fasade that occurred last year. He needs to retire gracefully and not embarrass himself any further.

[QUOTE]Burrito, my point is that you really don't understand how much Wakefield has meant to the Sox history and Sox success over the years. His very presence saved many a pitching staff. He just threw a pitch that few understand and I think his failures as a Sox get way over-blown in comparison to how many great games, super efforts and even stretches of down-right brilliance he has shown between 1995-2011. Maybe his time has come, but between you and a few others who continually bash him, it's just a little disturbing to know how little Wakefield was appreciated here.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

46% of respondents want him to return to the Sox organisation on either a major or minor league contract.

3 out of every 4 voters have had it with the Wastefield circus. A minor league contract does not mean a MLB contract and roster spot. Parking Wastefield in AAA, calling him up and then sending his fat act back to AAA is the very best this million dollar wasteland deserves. Not surprised that no other team wants anything to do with a MLB contract for this old parasite.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

I am guilty of losing respect for Wakefield over the record chasing comments.  In my humble opinion, that very painful quest to reach the 200 mark had a role in the Sept collapse.  You can't lay all the blame on Wakefield, though - Tito let it go on until too many games got away.  However, when Wake made the comments about chasing his next personal record in 2012 - it was like rubbing salt in the wound.  Not going to jump up and down and hold my breath til I turn blue if the Sox sign him, but not going to lose sleep if they don't.  Having Valentine instead of Tito should pretty much equalize any downside to keeping Wake.  I don't see Valentine letting him outstay his welcome on the mound to chase a record if its hurting the team win/loss picture.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

cater I know where you stand and you have your reasons to still believe, I am on the opposite side. I guess we will see soon enough as I have suspected for a couple of weeks they will bring him back either as an invite or on another year deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]cater I know where you stand and you have your reasons to still believe, I am on the opposite side. I guess we will see soon enough as I have suspected for a couple of weeks they will bring him back either as an invite or on another year deal.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't think he is coming back, that's part of the reason why I think this thread is also as one fan made a comment about "rubbing salt in a wound." In this case, the absolute over-the-top bashing of one of the greatest citizens in Sox baseball history. Do I think he is capable of still being effective? Yes, and so does Wakefield. However, the club has waited way too long to offer anything in the way of a non-roster invite. I think it will be a NL club that makes him a non-roster invitee, but I don't think Tim would go to the minors first. In other words, if he doesn't make the Big League roster of any team, he will call it quits. Or, I would if I was in his shoes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Someone made the point about having to owe a player something for service. I never have felt that way. I've always looked at is as if the guy is performing well enough, let him continue as a Sox, or if a guy really has been an asset for the team, please keep said player (Jason Bay at the time, Derek Lowe, Johnny Damon, Adrian Beltre, Manny re-upping immediately in offseason following 07 title win which started the Manny nonsense, to name a few).

With that said, that is not the reason I would want him to be a Sox---the team owes him...no, no way. I didn't think he pitched well enough down the stretch, and I gave my reasons, including one of the worst catchers he's ever thrown to--Saltalamacchia, who clearly quit as a defender because of fatigue latter part of year. If you can't rely on your catcher to stop the ball, it leads to 4-out innings and guys running around the bases. If you have a catcher who can catch Tim, it's a different story.

So, don't make assumptions as to how I feel based on how I defend players or support players. I understand the game enough to know where things stand for guys late in their careers. Tim is at his end in Boston, but may have one or two more years if effective in the NL for a team like the Padres or even his old team--the Pirates. That is also not to say, he wouldn't help the 2012 Sox. The decision, to me, has been made on him based on the car-load of clowncar pitchers signed up for ST. I prefer to compliment this Sox hero, rather than throw him under a bus.