Tim Wakefield vs. Derek Jeter: A matchup for the ages

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Tim Wakefield vs. Derek Jeter: A matchup for the ages

NEW YORK — Derek Jeter will dig in against Tim Wakefield in the bottom of the first inning tonight and we should all take a moment and appreciate the little slice of baseball history taking place.

Talk about old friends. Counting the postseason, Wakefield has faced Jeter 127 times in his career. That's the most Wakefield has faced any batter and the most Jeter has faced any pitcher.

Jeter is 33 of 119 with three doubles, a triple, three home runs and seven walks. Wakefield has struck him out 16 times.

Both men are probably satisfied to a degree. Jeter has hit .277 against the mystifying knuckleball, but that is 36 points below his career batting average. So Wake has that going for him.

They first met on July 15, 1996 at Fenway Park. Jeter, batting leadoff, doubled the first time he faced Wakefield. But Wakefield stuck around for five innings and got the win in an 8-6 Red Sox victory. Every other player who got in that game has retired.

The Red Sox lineup
    Jeff Frye 2B
    John Valentin SS
    Mo Vaughn 1B
    Jose Canseco DH
    Tim Naehring 3B
    Reggie Jefferson LF
    Mike Stanley C
    Troy O'Leary RF
    Lee Tinsley CF
    Tim Wakefield RHP

The Yankees lineup
    Derek Jeter SS
    Bernie Williams CF
    Paul O'Neill RF
    Darryl Strawberry DH
    Tino Martinez 1B
    Mariano Duncan 2B
    Jim Leyritz C
    Gerald Williams LF
    Andy Fox 3B
    Ramiro Mendoza RHP

Yankees manager Joe Girardi pinch hit in that game.

Wakefield is 44 now and Jeter 36. You're not supposed to still be pitching at 44 or playing everyday at shortstop at 36. Having been fortunate enough to cover both of them as a beat writer, I can tell you they share the the same pride at showing up every day to do their job.

Whether you are a fan of the Red Sox or the Yankees, I bet you admire the guy on the other team. Wakefield is 2-1 with a 3.20 ERA in is last three starts and has played a huge role in the resurgence of the Red Sox this season and is five wins away from 200 in his career. Meanwhile Jeter is closing in on 3,000 hits and remains a viable presence for the Yankees.

The next time either one of them does something to embarrass the team will be the first time. Both have won the Roberto Clemente Award for their community service

So take a moment to appreciate the history tonight. It'll be a long time before we see the likes of Tim Wakefield and Derek Jeter again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield vs. Derek Jeter: A matchup for the ages

A match for the aged is more like it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The way Wake is pitching this year, they just might both retire at about the same time.

Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

no question about it; they're both class acts.
    a definitely endangered species in pro sports today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They first met in the 1968 playoffs, I think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Here is a post from another poster on another website, which pretty much sums up Tim Wastefield:

rain4wayne (signed in using Yahoo)
    Please tell me why getting the Sox' wins record is considered a significant achievement, when he is already, BY FAR, the team's all-time leader in losses - not to mention runs allowed, hits allowed, doubles allowed, extra-base hits allowed, home runs allowed, walks allowed, wild pitches, hits batsmen, etc.? Longevity statistics are meaningless if they represent mediocrity in one's career. He's a great guy, great teammate, great citizen. On any given day, his results are a crap shoot - hit or miss, sink or swim. I hope he gets the record because that means the Red Sox won those games - and that is all that matters. But stressing the wins record while disregarding the fact that he holds just about every negative pitching record in team history misrepresents his true career accomplishment level.

Very important to note, Peter Abrahack, that Wastefield isn't reporting ready to do his job like he did back in 1996. Wastefield will be getting his normal week or more squat time between starts. The Bulls need to resign Jordan and have come in and play for 5 minutes a quarter, every week or two. What a joke Wastefield has become, hiding behind the booster seat he has on this active roster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Hopefully the Yanks will not be taking a lot of pitches.......just don't trust these umpires behind the plate, especially judging a knuckleball.
    I want to see Wake make Tex, Arod, Cano and Grandy look foolish trying to hit it, and anyone who sit there and say they don't enjoy watching Wake pitch is not a true fan of baseball.
    Knuckleballers rule!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

My gut says Wake gets rocked tonight. No question about his awesome character, but every time he takes the bump nowdays, I cringe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield vs. Derek Jeter: A matchup for the ages:
    My gut says Wake gets rocked tonight. No question about his awesome character, but every time he takes the bump nowdays, I cringe.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

I wonder if the Yankee line-up feels the same way?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Awesome character is a sound basis to award MLB roster spots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

actually it is. ask Milton Bradley.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Actually it isn't, just ask all the great characters who washed out of the games, like Mike Lowell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ah, you're an age nazi...ok.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, I'm a realist who knows that 89 year old men don't play MLB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You said the same thing about a 41-42 year old pitcher who then went on to finish 5th in WHIP one year and make the allstar team the next.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

betteroffdead, time for your nap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Tim Wastefield isn't a matchup for the ages, he is a matchup for the Aged!

I've never ready any poster who said that Wastefield was over the hill at age 41. But, Moonserb, you did say that Wastefield had his best years coming in his early 50's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your lies are getting even more absurd and extreme as ever.

Hard to believe it could be possible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield vs. Derek Jeter: A matchup for the ages:
    Your lies are getting even more absurd and extreme as ever. Hard to believe it could be possible.
    Posted by moonslav59

Hi moon ... perhaps he's taking lessons from a Weiner .....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Being a Repub, I think Larry Craig is more fitting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Hard to top Weiner. Not only did he get caught with his pants down, he got caught lying about it, after about the 100th denial. He now has his ex-wife weighing in, which should really help him. Unless he keeps making a ton of political graft, he will soon have another ex-wife. That's the way of the world, and those that base values upon the cultural values of the time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Each of their teammates of the day these two first met on the playing field have retired?  

Sections
Shortcuts