Tim Wakefield's Selfishness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Tim Wakefield's Selfishness

The day of the last year of the season after a horrible month, Tim Wakefield makes it be known that he wants to come back. In reading the paragraph below:

“I’ve definitely made up my mind that I definitely want to come back next year,’’ Wakefield said. “I have another goal in front of me that I’d like to accomplish, and that’s the all-time record for the Red Sox in wins. I’m only seven away. I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record. We’ll see what happens.’’

I see nothing about helping the team. 

What you can read is:
    "I've definitely made up my mind.."
    "I definitely want to come back"
    "I have another goal.."
    "...that I'd like to accomplish"
    "I'm only seven wins away"
    and last but not least:
    "I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record. "

Not sure about anyone else, but I see nothing in there that says anything about wanting to help the team, etc.

After what happened to the Red Sox this year, and having to watch the Tim Wakefield 'Travelin' 200 Circus", if they bring him back next year, it will be 5 times worse.

Even Secretariat retired at the right tim, and believe me, Tim Wakefield is no Secreteriat

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness

Umm.... wins help the team a lot more than loses.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Nice post ADG --

It struck me the same way.  Wakefield taking a moment to reflect on what's important to him, while the team nosedives into third place.

...especially the line about the fans deserving to see him chase a record?  Wow, his head's bigger than his stomach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

NoooooooooooooooooooooOooooooooooooooo!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wastefied is a bum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares about his records, it cost the Red Sox the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i cant believe he really said that...this is a joke right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness:
    Posted by moonslav59

Moon , what does that mean? youre sounding like some sort of mystic

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I agree, bring back Wake.  What a nice situation he has, as soon as he retires he will be able to start collecting his baseball pension.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

that doesnt sound good, hope he changes his mind and retires

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If they can find another player that can serve as long reliever and spot starter who is better, then they should go after him.

Wakefield on the roster had nothing to do with the team's nose dive in September.  The Sox were so hard up for starters at the end of the season, they were grasping for solutions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If they can find another player that can serve as long reliever and spot starter who is better, then they should go after him. Wakefield on the roster had nothing to do with the team's nose dive in September.  The Sox were so hard up for starters at the end of the season, they were grasping for solutions.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Wake as a spot starter here and there has been fine short term.  Having him pitch every five days is not good for the team, so if we can find a better solution we should.  Wake did surprise me a bit by saying he wanted to come back but never acknowledged he didn't pitch well.

He was part of the problem but due to injuries.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wakefield on the roster had nothing to do with the team's nose dive in September

Wrong! In fact, before Beckett went down and after Bedard was acquried, there was brief 6 man monte to allow Wastefield to pursue a dubious record of longevity. It cost the team at least a game or two.

Wastefield needs to be kicked to the curb. His tired loser act is part of the pitching development problem. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Wakefield on the roster had nothing to do with the team's nose dive in September Wrong! In fact, before Beckett went down and after Bedard was acquried, there was brief 6 man monte to allow Wastefield to pursue a dubious record of longevity. It cost the team at least a game or two. Wastefield needs to be kicked to the curb. His tired loser act is part of the pitching development problem. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Less you are shot on!  He is way over the hill and pitched about 7-8 poor games in a row through Aug and Sept!  He was doing lines of 4 or 5 innings 5 hits 4 or 5 walks consistently.  Not even good enough for a contending competitive team.
    He had a long good run but it is so over!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

wake " failed " gate VVIII
    wakefailed has 11 wins in his last 72 appearances ( including 50 starts ) 1 in relief!
    5.61 ERA
    Boston Red Sox team record in those 72 appearances is 22 wins & 50 losses!
    I posted here in the spring about a comment wakefailed made about when he was quoted about his own personal numbers!
    wakefailed is a selfabsorbed, selfish, player who quieltly manipulates!
    When I make a roster.. I get the best 25 players I can.. I want horses.. young clydesdales sitting in the bullpen everynight! Justin Masterson was a horse.. anyone with half a brain cell could see it!
    The next time wakefailed gestures with his baseball glove.. for someone to throw him the baseball.. I would walk right up into his face and say.. " take the baseball glove off & go home "!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

"dirtywaterlover" anyone that is as shortsighted as you.. must be a republican!

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The Boston Red Sox have 22 wins in " wakefailed's " last 72 games!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Watching Wakefield against the Yanks and all dude needs to call it a career. He should be playing catch in the park somewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

n Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness:
    Posted by moonslav59

Moon , what does that mean? youre sounding like some sort of mystic.

Wake said he wants to come back and get some wins. The thread starter said that was selfish and was not about the "team". Last I checked, wins were a team stat and a goal of every team and player.

If Wake had said he wanted to come back and win the WHIP title or most Ks or something, then I'd say that was selfish. 

Wanting wins is what everyone wants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

n Response to  Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : Umm.... wins help the team a lot more than loses. Posted by moonslav59 Moon , what does that mean? youre sounding like some sort of mystic. Wake said he wants to come back and get some wins. The thread starter said that was selfish and was not about the "team". Last I checked, wins were a team stat and a goal of every team and player. If Wake had said he wanted to come back and win the WHIP title or most Ks or something, then I'd say that was selfish.  Wanting wins is what everyone wants.
    Posted by moonslav59

The problwem is he has 167 Losses as a Sox. And that'll go up quicker than his wins if they are stupid enough to bring a guy back who can hardly walk, let alone pitch. Hes pathetic. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

In Response to Tim Wakefield's Selfishness:
    The day of the last year of the season after a horrible month, Tim Wakefield makes it be known that he wants to come back. In reading the paragraph below: “I’ve definitely made up my mind that I definitely want to come back next year,’’ Wakefield said. “I have another goal in front of me that I’d like to accomplish, and that’s the all-time record for the Red Sox in wins. I’m only seven away. I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record. We’ll see what happens.’’ I see nothing about helping the team.  What you can read is: "I've definitely made up my mind.." "I definitely want to come back" "I have another goal.." "...that I'd like to accomplish" "I'm only seven wins away" and last but not least: " I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record. " Not sure about anyone else, but I see nothing in there that says anything about wanting to help the team, etc. After what happened to the Red Sox this year, and having to watch the Tim Wakefield 'Travelin' 200 Circus", if they bring him back next year, it will be 5 times worse. Even Secretariat retired at the right tim, and believe me, Tim Wakefield is no Secreteriat
    Posted by ADG

There's one indication of what's wrong with our team - an individual player who thinks an individual accomplishment rises above what is best for the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : The problwem is he has 167 Losses as a Sox. And that'll go up quicker than his wins if they are stupid enough to bring a guy back who can hardly walk, let alone pitch. Hes pathetic. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

He's still a better fielder than at least 1/3 of MLb pitchers today.

He can beat Papi and AGon in any race...maybe more.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joemanc. Show joemanc's posts

Lots of blame to go around. I put a alot of blame on the whole wakefield 200 win thing that cost us the playoffs.  the management allowed him 9 tries to get that win, and it cost the playoffs.  dont blame wakefield for wanting to pitch and return, but he is a huge liability on this team now.  please cut the ties and be done with this scentimentalism.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : He's still a better fielder than at least 1/3 of MLb pitchers today. He can beat Papi and AGon in any race...maybe more.
    Posted by moonslav59

Prepostorous.
    Worse, it's a mind-numbing statement
    Wakefield's not even better than 1/3 of the #5 staters in baseball.
    And for a guy you claim can run he looked pathetic coming off the mound for bunts and squibbers this year; the only running he really needs to do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : He's still a better fielder than at least 1/3 of MLb pitchers today. He can beat Papi and AGon in any race...maybe more.
    Posted by moonslav59

the only race Wake is going to win is to the after game buffet - your'e pushing it Moon with these crazy statements.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Nice post ADG -- It struck me the same way.  Wakefield taking a moment to reflect on what's important to him, while the team nosedives into third place. ...especially the line about the fans deserving to see him chase a record?  Wow, his head's bigger than his stomach.
    Posted by Ergoetal

Agree that this was definitely bad timing by him.  I really hope that he retires. I don't want to see him return to the Red Sox since once we have an injury, he will be pitching every five days and become ineffective very quickly.  To have him start an occasional game or long relief would be fine.  Unfortunately, this usually never happens.  

Sections
Shortcuts