Tim Wakefield's Selfishness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness

Wakefield seems mor interested in individual goals and not team goals.  Yes, wins are nice but if getting his seven wins requires a dozen losses, why should any fans sign up for it?  Definitely a selfish attitude in his statements.  May be he meant well but doe not come across that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Nice to see most Red Sox fans are finally seeing how pitiful and pathetic Wakefield has been for over 2.5 years. This year's ceremonial tour cost the Red Sox at least 2 or 3 wins.

Remember this, if Red Sox fans want Wakefield back they will bring this joke back for PR purposes and record PR purposes. But, if you make it known that you want the bumb gone and signed to nothing more than a minor league contract then ownership and management will finally shoot the dead horse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gopats1976. Show gopats1976's posts

Hope he wins 12 games next season and that team wins more than 90.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gopats1976. Show gopats1976's posts

Jose Reyes was also selfish yesterday and I hope they don't sign or trade for his speed. We got Crawford already and once had Otis Nixon, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

" Wow, his head's bigger than his stomach."

I like that!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I say we resign him. Let him get shis 7 wins then tel him to either retire or the Sox will release him. Its a win win situation for both parties.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I hope wakefield never becomes the sox all time win leader. he doesn't deserve to be one bit. and i am willing to bet the vast majority done care either. what the fans want more than anything is a pitcher who can actually win some games. not some 46 yr old 1 pitch wonder who can barely move on the mound. what an arrogant sob.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

wakefailed's last 11 starts... 6.18 ERA... Boston Red Sox team record 3 wins...

8 losses! Boston Red Sox have 22 wins in wakfaild's last 72 games!

wakefaild should have been ripping tickets at Patriot Cinemas in Hanover, Mass.

3 years ago!

look it up! I had the Boston Red Sox winning 89 games and finishing third the

first week in the season! its dysfunctional to put a players' stats ahead of

team goals!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Someone in the press today expressed the same comments about the selfishness of Wake's comments on the second to last day of the season. It may have been Cafardo I believe.

moon - Are you Wakefield because your comments are just absurd about his fielding ability, etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Good for him  --  he's  cheap and he can eat up some innings  ... If they want him  on their terms    --  long  reeief and spot starts   great    ..

BUT  REMEMBER IT TOOK 7 TRIES  TO WIN  # 200..

AT that pace  Wake will set the all time record near the end of the 2012  or early in the 2013  season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness:
    Good for him  --  he's  cheap and he can eat up some innings  ... If they want him  on their terms    --  long  reeief and spot starts   great    .. BUT  REMEMBER IT TOOK 7 TRIES  TO WIN  # 200.. AT that pace  Wake will set the all time record near the end of the 2012  or early in the 2013  season.
    Posted by jackyldo

Is it good to have an 'innings eater' when he has an ERA over 5 and that who knows how much extra unearned runs are given up due to his Bugs Bunny knuckleball garbage, which is hard to catch just creates issues.

Release him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : Prepostorous. Worse, it's a mind-numbing statement Wakefield's not even better than 1/3 of the #5 staters in baseball. And for a guy you claim can run he looked pathetic coming off the mound for bunts and squibbers this year; the only running he really needs to do.
    Posted by OscarGamble

He was bad in the field last year after his back surgery, but he was much better this year. I stick by my statement. Some of you guys went off on Wake after he had to field a bunt 3 feet in fron of the plate. Where was VTek? The fact that Wake got to the spot and still almost made the play should have shown you guys the opposite of what you concluded. I've heard several announcers say the same thing, basically, that Wake is still a "good fielder" even as he has aged. 

Besides, it's not one pitcher's fielding that lost this season. It's not the fact that our #6/7 starter led the team to a 12-10 record that lost the season. It's not Wake's fault he happened to be going for #200. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think he was out there just to get to #200. We had nobody better. Miller and Weiland were never the answers. Wake has a pretty solid first 15 starts. He earned the right to stay out there. He pitched better and stayed healthier than most of the other guys out there not named Beckett and Lester, yet he was continuously singled out as the reason for our demise. He got more grief than Lackey for God's sake! At about 1/10th the salary!

You guys are right. Wake should go. You guys don't deserve it.

By the way, have a look at the leagues 5th starters and get it through your thick skulls that Wake was our 6th starter tuned to 7th after Bedard joined the club. Your expectations for 6/7 guy are totally unrealistic. Have a look for yourselves at some of the other teams top 5 starters (not top 6 or 7, but TOP FIVE!):
    2 teamers: Zach Stewert  2-6  6.00 (63 IP)/J Reyes 7-11  5.66 (134 IP)
    Angels (big home park): Pineiro  7-7  5.10/Chatwood 6-11  4.81
    Astros (NL no DH): Happ  6-15  5.35/Lyles  2-7  5.02
    Athletics (big park): Harden  4-4  5.12
    Blue Jays: Villanueva 5-3  5.15/Drabek  4-5  5.70
    Braves (NL & big park): Lowe  9-17  5.05 (some of you wanted him!)
    Brewers (NL):  Narveson  11-8  4.54
    Cards (NL): Westbrook  12-9  4.66
    Cubs (NL): Coleman 3-9 6.18/Wells 7-6  4.99/Zamb 9-7 4.82/Dempster 10-14  4,80/ Lopez 6-5  4.50
    DBacks (NL): No 5th starter with over 60 IP.
    LAD (NL): No 5th starter with over 60 IP.
    Giants (NL): Sanchez 4-7  4.26
    Indians: Talbot  2-6  6.64/Carmona 7-15  5.25/Carrasco  8-9  4.62
    Mariners (huge park): No 5th starter with over 60 IP.
    Marlins (NL): Volstad  5-13  4.89
    Mets (NL): Pelfrey  7-13  4.70
    Nats (NL): Hernandez  8-13  4.47
    O's: Bergeson 2-7 5.78/Tillman 3-5 5.52/Arrieta 10-8 5.05/Hunter 3-3 5.00/Simon  3-8  4.96
    Padres (NL & huge park): LeBlanc  5-6  4.63
    Phillies (NL): Oswalt 9-10  3.69
    Pirates (NL): Correia  12-11  4.82
    Rangers:  Lewis 14-10 4.40
    Rays:  Davis  11-10  4.45
    Red Sox: Wakefield 7-8  5.31/Lackey 12-12  6.41
    Reds (NL):Volquez 5-7 5.71/Wood 5-6  5.08/Arroyo 9-12 5.07/Willis 1-6 5.08.
    Rockies (NL): Rogers 5-6  6.28/Cook 3-10  5.81/Hammel 7-12 4.95 
    Royals: Davies  1-9  6.75/Duffy 4-8  5.64/Francis 6-16 4.82
    Tigers: Penny  11-11  5.30/P. Coke 1-7  4.82
    Twins: Duensing 9-13  5.24/Liriano 9-9 4.84
    CWS: Peavy 6-7  5.10
    NYY: Hughes 5-4  5.90/Burnett 11-11 5.16

If you go beyond ERA and W-Ls, you'll see that Wake compares favorably to many of these guys and others not even on this list in IP per GS (over 6) and WHIP (1.358).

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : He was bad in the field last year after his back surgery, but he was much better this year. I stick by my statement. Some of you guys went off on Wake after he had to field a bunt 3 feet in fron of the plate. Where was VTek? The fact that Wake got to the spot and still almost made the play should have shown you guys the opposite of what you concluded. I've heard several announcers say the same thing, basically, that Wake is still a "good fielder" even as he has aged.  Besides, it's not one pitcher's fielding that lost this season. It's not the fact that our #6/7 starter led the team to a 12-10 record that lost the season. It's not Wake's fault he happened to be going for #200. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think he was out there just to get to #200. We had nobody better. Miller and Weiland were never the answers. Wake has a pretty solid first 15 starts. He earned the right to stay out there. He pitched better and stayed healthier than most of the other guys out there not named Beckett and Lester, yet he was continuously singled out as the reason for our demise. He got more grief than Lackey for God's sake! At about 1/10th the salary! You guys are right. Wake should go. You guys don't deserve it. By the way, have a look at the leagues 5th starters and get it through your thick skulls that Wake was our 6th starter tuned to 7th after Bedard joined the club. Your expectations for 6/7 guy are totally unrealistic. Have a look for yourselves at some of the other teams top 5 starters (not top 6 or 7, but TOP FIVE!): 2 teamers: Zach Stewert  2-6  6.00 (63 IP)/J Reyes 7-11  5.66 (134 IP) Angels (big home park): Pineiro  7-7  5.10/Chatwood 6-11  4.81 Astros (NL no DH): Happ  6-15  5.35/Lyles  2-7  5.02 Athletics (big park): Harden  4-4  5.12 Blue Jays: Villanueva 5-3  5.15/Drabek  4-5  5.70 Braves (NL & big park): Lowe  9-17  5.05 (some of you wanted him!) Brewers (NL):  Narveson  11-8  4.54 Cards (NL): Westbrook  12-9  4.66 Cubs (NL): Coleman 3-9 6.18/Wells 7-6  4.99/Zamb 9-7 4.82/Dempster 10-14  4,80/ Lopez 6-5  4.50 DBacks (NL): No 5th starter with over 60 IP. LAD (NL): No 5th starter with over 60 IP. Giants (NL): Sanchez 4-7  4.26 Indians: Talbot  2-6  6.64/Carmona 7-15  5.25/Carrasco  8-9  4.62 Mariners (huge park): No 5th starter with over 60 IP. Marlins (NL): Volstad  5-13  4.89 Mets (NL): Pelfrey  7-13  4.70 Nats (NL): Hernandez  8-13  4.47 O's: Bergeson 2-7 5.78/Tillman 3-5 5.52/Arrieta 10-8 5.05/Hunter 3-3 5.00/Simon  3-8  4.96 Padres (NL & huge park): LeBlanc  5-6  4.63 Phillies (NL): Oswalt 9-10  3.69 Pirates (NL): Correia  12-11  4.82 Rangers:  Lewis 14-10 4.40 Rays:  Davis  11-10  4.45 Red Sox: Wakefield 7-8  5.31 /Lackey 12-12  6.41 Reds (NL):Volquez 5-7 5.71/Wood 5-6  5.08/Arroyo 9-12 5.07/Willis 1-6 5.08. Rockies (NL): Rogers 5-6  6.28/Cook 3-10  5.81/Hammel 7-12 4.95  Royals: Davies  1-9  6.75/Duffy 4-8  5.64/Francis 6-16 4.82 Tigers: Penny  11-11  5.30/P. Coke 1-7  4.82 Twins: Duensing 9-13  5.24/Liriano 9-9 4.84 CWS: Peavy 6-7  5.10 NYY: Hughes 5-4  5.90/Burnett 11-11 5.16 If you go beyond ERA and W-Ls, you'll see that Wake compares favorably to many of these guys and others not even on this list in IP per GS (over 6) and WHIP (1.358).
    Posted by moonslav59

i agreed with you that wake was better than lackey, miller, weiland...but this is about next year and what he said...i thought it was joke just to rile folks up...i still want to see the link of him stating what was said because if it is true, it is darn selfish and borderline delusional (i could care less about watching wake pitch for any reason, let alone individual accomplishments). 

plus my blood pressure is up enough already, i dont need to google it and get it higher if it is true

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is every pitcher's individual and team goal to win. They are not mutaully exclusive. It's not selfish to want to win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : i agreed with you that wake was better than lackey, miller, weiland...but this is about next year and what he said...i thought it was joke just to rile folks up...i still want to see the link of him stating what was said because if it is true, it is darn selfish and borderline delusional (i could care less about watching wake pitch for any reason, let alone individual accomplishments).  plus my blood pressure is up enough already, i dont need to google it and get it higher if it is true
    Posted by georom4

He did say it georom....  Joe Castiglione interviwed him. they were talking about his 200th win and Castiglione said i hear you want to return next year. he said yes he needed 7 more wins to become the red sox all time leader, he owed it to the fans. said he was upset David Cone said he was going to retire during the YES broadcast over the weekend because it wasnt true.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Thanks JBAY for the confirmation - excuse me while i take my moexipril with some wine

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Wakefield has had a wonderful and unimaginable ride in his time with the Red Sox.  Many memories of dazzling performances.  That said, his time has come to a end imo as keeping a roster spot open for a starting pitcher with an ERA consistently in the 5 range is just plain stupid given what we just witnessed in Sept.  Sox need starting pitching that is durable, accountable, and have ERA's below 4.  Anything less than that is simple unacceptable for a team with playoff aspirations.

Love you Wake, thanks for all the memories, but I for one am ready for a new direction.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

So it took him 10 chances to get 1 win so it will take 70 to get 7 wins - hmmmm

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wakefield has had a wonderful and unimaginable ride in his time with the Red Sox.  Many memories of dazzling performances.  That said, his time has come to a end imo as keeping a roster spot open for a starting pitcher with an ERA consistently in the 5 range is just plain stupid given what we just witnessed in Sept.  Sox need starting pitching that is durable, accountable, and have ERA's below 4.  Anything less than that is simple unacceptable for a team with playoff aspirations. Love you Wake, thanks for all the memories, but I for one am ready for a new direction.
    Posted by LB34

Nobody is saying keep the 5 slot open for Wake. 
    We have no MLb ready prospects. 
    Pitchers do not grow on trees.
    We don't have the cash to sign 3 good starters.
    This year proved we need 7-8 starters.
    A 7/8 slotted starter with an ERA of 5  for only about $1M is not bad.
    In fact, it is better than most team's #4-5-6 slot pitchers.

I don't get why such a fuss is being made about who we have as next year's #7 starter. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHDieHard. Show NHDieHard's posts

Jeesum crow, are you people kidding me? 

First of all, Wakie's push for 200 wasn't selfish; and it didn't cost us the playoffs. You think it was Wake's decision? HE WAS IN THE ROTATION; of course he was put on the mound every five days. Maybe Aceves deserved a start; but Aceves was the MVP of the bullpen and not stretched out for starts. So who would you have put in? Weiland? Miller? They got their starts. There's only so many starting pitchers on a staff. 

Tim Wakefield has always done what was asked of him--he went to the bullpen; he closed; he volunteered to give up his start in the 19-8 debacle of the 2004 Game 3 in the ALCS. For people to accuse him of selfishness is further proof that we live in Bizzaro World.  

Second, it seems to me that Wakie did better--or just as good--in those nine attempts than any of the other starters. One start was a compete game loss. He went deeper than anyone else. In those 9 losses games leading up to win 200, he went 7 innings three times, 6.1 innings, 8 innings ... and two of those games were Red Sox wins.  

Third, he seems to be one of the most stand-up guys in baseball, doing a ton of charity work. But, you're right, he's probably doing that out of selfishness, too. 

I'll say it again. Jeesum crow. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

FAT Wakefield needs to take his crummy knuckler and fat pitch fastball and ride into the sunset for good....no chances for him to screw the team again trying to get those 7 lousy wins..... he's one of the problems with this team, and hasn't been a decent reliable pitcher for this team in 3 years...he SVCKS, and actually, can't SVCK enough....truly

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well said!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

BTW...just because your era in september games was the same or lower than the slugs that "pitched" the other games is NOT an endorsement for FAT Wakefield to come back...it's an indictment of other FAT, most likely DRUNK slobs who were on the mound....this team needs pitching BADLY, but the useless FAT Wakefield is not any answer at all...

Look at it this way...he'll have plenty of time for him to continue his non-selfish charity work!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield's Selfishness : i agreed with you that wake was better than lackey, miller, weiland...but this is about next year and what he said...i thought it was joke just to rile folks up...i still want to see the link of him stating what was said because if it is true, it is darn selfish and borderline delusional (i could care less about watching wake pitch for any reason, let alone individual accomplishments).  plus my blood pressure is up enough already, i dont need to google it and get it higher if it is true
    Posted by georom4

georom4 - Here's a link. Enjoy.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/28/tim-wakefield-i-definitely-want-to-come-back-next-year/

Sections
Shortcuts