Tim Wastefield - The Old Paul Byrd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Tim Wastefield - The Old Paul Byrd

One vapid LosLoco thread deserves another.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

Re: Tim Wastefield - The Old Paul Byrd

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Tim Wastefield - The Old Paul Byrd:
    [QUOTE]One vapid LosLoco thread deserves another.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

I cannot figure out why you need to be so harsh in your stand toward a Sox player. 

I know you are supposedly "trying to get our goat" but you have got to be one unhappy person ....   

If it walks like a duck, quacks lik a duck, even argues like a duck ...

I apologize that life has treated you so harshly that it is the only form of response you can share.  Poor guy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Paul Byrd won 11 games with the Red Sox and had a 4.60 ERA.  What's your point?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

His point is that Tim is just what Boston needs for a back-up starter and that he does enough for the team to win more often than not.  The reference to Byrd is a compliment that he probably doesn't even realize.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wastefield - The Old Paul Byrd:
    [QUOTE]Paul Byrd won 11 games with the Red Sox and had a 4.60 ERA.  What's your point?
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Byrd like Wake this year was huge.  Bashing sox players is just plain stupid!  Where would we be without Wake?  I'll tell ya where, NOT in first place!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He doesn't bother to consult history and data, and hence, absurd comments abound.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Excellent post by Red.

Way too many people like Softlaw don't understand the value of guys like Wake, Byrd, Colon, Miller, etc., that can come in and win a few in an emergency at a reasonable cost.  He's 3-1 and has outpitched Dice and Lackey.  Wish we had another guy like this in the minors.

Good call Red.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Untrue... I would be so happy if I could turn back time and allow for Tim Wakefield to have been 100% healthy the last five years and gotten at least 4 runs support per start.  I have no doubt he would have won 15+ games 4 out of the last 6 seasons...

but my gosh people he is not much of an asset now...  Paul Byrd might be a good analogy.  Tim has been left off play-off rosters for heavens sake...  and that is when he was good.

I find it funny that some posters stand by 100% of the players on the roster.... blinded like Homer.

Enough already... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Hi name is Tim Wakefield you better dead than red clown. WAKEFIELD! note wastefield. why don't you get on your tricycle and ride into a brick wall.

for cripes sake, the guy has done nothing but perform and all you do is sit in your highchair and complain.

go take a freakin nap!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

If Wakefield is given enough starts his stats will level out to a 5+ ERA so look for some beatings in his future and if your truthful your always hopeing the offense is hot on the days he pitches. He is like  Jed Lowrie the more he plays the more he is exposed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Gee, softlaw dogging Wake?  Never saw that coming.  Gee, could he dog Els and Lawrie soon?  Consistency is an admirable trait.  Continuing the beating of a dead horse?  Well, kind of sad actually.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When you hate and bash 40% of the team you supposedly love, it's easy to find one, at any given moment, to pick on for playing "poorly", especially when you specialize in 1 game and even one play sample sizes.

Here's the softy list of hatred (in approximate order of hatred):

1) Jake (crickets lately)
    2) Wake (forget he's 3rd in WHIP/4th in IP)
    3) Jed (no pop)
    4) VTek
    5) Slackey
    6) Salty
    7) Jenks
    8) "Fat" Beckett
    9) Scutaro
    10) Hill ("left a mess")

Then, there is Theo and Tito.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Do we perhaps overappreciate what Wake brings to the table?  Sure!  BUT........
    Wake certainly has done a very good job for us this year!  Are his skills on the decline??  Sure!  Whose wouldn't be at his age!  Given what Wake has meant to this team over the past 15 years, the overappreciation is well deserved!  The guy IS the Red Sox!!!  If you're not pulling for the guy, given the FACT that the Red Sox want him on the team, you're not much of a fan (fanatic Red Sox fan).

Is there a legitimate argument that someone else could be of more value for the money?????  Sure!  BUT.... He's on the team!!!!!!  I stand with the team, & I do so happily!!!!  I love this guy!  & he is going to be sorely missed when he is finally gone in the next year or so........  I'm gonna root like hell for the guy while he is here!!!!!!  Sure....  Sometimes I do so while holding my breath, but I still love it!!!!

Keep rollin Timmy!!!!!  :)   :)   :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]When you hate and bash 40% of the team you supposedly love, it's easy to find one, at any given moment, to pick on for playing "poorly", especially when you specialize in 1 game and even one play sample sizes. Here's the softy list of hatred (in approximate order of hatred): 1) Jake (crickets lately) 2) Wake (forget he's 3rd in WHIP/4th in IP) 3) Jed (no pop) 4) VTek 5) Slackey 6) Salty 7) Jenks 8) "Fat" Beckett 9) Scutaro 10) Hill ("left a mess") Then, there is Theo and Tito.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

What, no JD?  I'm shocked.  Then again he looks to have alot on his plate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]When you hate and bash 40% of the team you supposedly love, it's easy to find one, at any given moment, to pick on for playing "poorly", especially when you specialize in 1 game and even one play sample sizes. Here's the softy list of hatred (in approximate order of hatred): 1) Jake (crickets lately) 2) Wake (forget he's 3rd in WHIP/4th in IP) 3) Jed (no pop) 4) VTek 5) Slackey 6) Salty 7) Jenks 8) "Fat" Beckett 9) Scutaro 10) Hill ("left a mess") Then, there is Theo and Tito.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I know it is a lot to keep track of but you forgot Carl Crawford.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This Wakefield thing says more about you than it does about Wakefield...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon lest we forget Carl no OBP Crawford on this list!  Oh right he's performing as well lately!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Untrue... I would be so happy if I could turn back time and allow for Tim Wakefield to have been 100% healthy the last five years and gotten at least 4 runs support per start.  I have no doubt he would have won 15+ games 4 out of the last 6 seasons... but my gosh people he is not much of an asset now...  Paul Byrd might be a good analogy.  Tim has been left off play-off rosters for heavens sake...  and that is when he was good. I find it funny that some posters stand by 100% of the players on the roster.... blinded like Homer. Enough already... 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, I know you are smarter than this.  Of course he is left off the playoff roster.  You don't need a guy who can step in and give you a spot start in the playoffs.  The rotations are set and the relievers know their roles.  Wake helps you get through the season and TO the playoffs.  The value to a team for 162 games can't be measured in whether he is on the playoff roster or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]  If Wakefield is given enough starts his stats will level out to a 5+ ERA so look for some beatings in his future and if your truthful your always hopeing the offense is hot on the days he pitches. He is like  Jed Lowrie the more he plays the more he is exposed
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

About right on Wake, though I'd expect it to be slightly under 5.00.  That should make him about .500, which is more than adequate for #5/6.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Where would we be without Wake?  I'll tell ya where, NOT in first place!

Red Sox would most certinaly be in 1st place without Wakefield's near 5 ERA, and would have at least one or two more wins because of Aceves being left off the active roster during the 2-10 start when Wastefield was carrying a mop bucket and the team had a 6 man pen that was a man short over the 12 game start to the season.

Not hard for a farm hand or dumpster profile to handle a few spots starts with a week or more off between most of the starts, with a near 5 ERA.

Since 2010, the defenders of Wakefield's active roster spot become more pitiful. Aceves is in his 20's and pitching much better than Wakefield, yet is treated like the blue haired step-child of the Red Sox. Very sad. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

We should give back his 3 wins & couple other quality starts / long mid relief!

Any true RS hater can clearly see that!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Where would we be without Wake?  I'll tell ya where, NOT in first place! Red Sox would most certinaly be in 1st place without Wakefield's near 5 ERA, and would have at least one or two more wins because of Aceves being left off the active roster during the 2-10 start when Wastefield was carrying a mop bucket and the team had a 6 man pen that was a man short over the 12 game start to the season. Not hard for a farm hand or dumpster profile to handle a few spots starts with a week or more off between most of the starts, with a near 5 ERA. Since 2010, the defenders of Wakefield's active roster spot become more pitiful. Aceves is in his 20's and pitching much better than Wakefield, yet is treated like the blue haired step-child of the Red Sox. Very sad. 
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Oh I see so a guy with a 3-1 record makes no difference in a 2 game advantage in the standings?  And to think all my life I thought THIS was how math worked!  Thanks for "schooling me"!

I really find it hard to understand how you can seriously continue to write such inane posts and expect anyone to take you seriously!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness-envy. Show harness-envy's posts

Wakefield and Tek are great.
    The sox are on fire.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Like Paul Byrd before him, Wake is only in the rotation because there's a need. He's not exactly Felix Hernandez out there, but I'm not seeing what's so horrible about a 3-1 record, 4.80 ERA, and 1.20 WHIP from your #6 starter.