Time for a change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouV. Show LouV's posts

Time for a change

Three weeks ago I said this team was cooked. But you RS fanatic fans, in a
    state of denial,& still are could not accept reality. Constructive moves could
    have been made 3 monthe ago, when "Management" knew the problems they
    had with Buchhlotz & Drew. Epstein & his Lackey Francoma sat on it, & hoped
    that things would get better. Lackey can't pitch & Lester has been disappointing.
    All you heard from Epstein is we don't want to give our FARM system away!!!
    Well where the h..l is your farm system? They can't get the job done, Reddick,
    Gathright,Anderson,Laverbway & McDONALD!! Are you kinning me? A AAA ballclub
    fighting for a pennant?? It's Pathetic. That's the difference between the Yankees
    & Red Sox. They know how to win, & will do anything to immerge victorious! We
    don't. We stay within a mentality which is doomed for failure. I hope they don't
    make the playoff's, so that Henry can finally get rid of these morons!!!   LouV

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

Re: Time for a change

but lou, those two mopes gave sox fans 2 WS. that's  the defense of sox fans in denial. i, not only agree with you 100%, but have been preaching these same thoughts for a long time under different monikers.

fire theo and tito!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

No later than twenty five minutes after their season physically ends (mentally it ended six weeks ago) the followers of this team will be disrespected if Epstein and Francoma are not fired.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So they should have made changes absolutely.They tried to get Ubaldo but the D backs went with another team.
    They tried to get other pitchers but the owner of those players went to another team.
    They tried for Hunter Pence and the other team went another way.

Folks it takes two to tango and I honestly believe few teams if any want to or even think about the RS and NYY any more.
    I believe they are staying away from making deals with the RS and NYY because they are sick of getting screwed by them in all ways. Look the RS and NYY made NO signficant moves to bolster their teams this August. During the off season they got the best they could find.
    Seriously look at where teams sent guys and for whom. Then add in that where players were available the RS and NYY already had good starters.
    I believe the other teams just won't deal with the RS and NYY unless they have to or they can screw them over. It is not colusion I'm saying just what I see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Let's hear your specifics, Lou.  I'll bet your constructive move was to sell the farm for Ubaldo Jimenez.  How did that work out for Cleveland?  Is he carrying them to the playoffs?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

Its called Team Depth. Theo put together a team that is very top heavy. The starting lineup on this team is great. But when injuries happen, this team falls apart. This team has no bench. They have three really good starters, but after that, garbage. They have three options in the bullpen who are worth anything.

That rests on Theo. Very rarely does a team make it through the season using only 5 starters. Theo failed to account for that. The fact the Lowrie is the best option for a utility player and Darnell Mcdonald is the fouth outfielder says all you need to know.

Contrast that with the Yankees have amazing depth at all positions. They have four players who can play CF, granted only two can probably play it well, they have solid infield depth as well. Chavez has filled in for Arod and performed well. When he was hurt Nunez filled in well, Nunez has flamed out towards the end of the season though. They Yankees have deep bullpen. Their second best starter (Nova) was sent to minors at one point because they had to much SP. They have a two very good defensive catchers and currently have their two best prospects who also catchers on the roster.

Make no mistake, injuries happen. It is Theo Epstein's job to anticipate this(especially with an older team) and build accordingly.

I am willing to cut Francona Some slack. Its tough to win, when your 6,7,8 and 9th choices are pitching in the rotation and the bullpen has bigger holes then the Titanic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Time for a change:
    [QUOTE]So they should have made changes absolutely.They tried to get Ubaldo but the D backs went with another team. They tried to get other pitchers but the owner of those players went to another team. They tried for Hunter Pence and the other team went another way. Folks it takes two to tango and I honestly believe few teams if any want to or even think about the RS and NYY any more. I believe they are staying away from making deals with the RS and NYY because they are sick of getting screwed by them in all ways. Look the RS and NYY made NO signficant moves to bolster their teams this August. During the off season they got the best they could find. Seriously look at where teams sent guys and for whom. Then add in that where players were available the RS and NYY already had good starters. I believe the other teams just won't deal with the RS and NYY unless they have to or they can screw them over. It is not colusion I'm saying just what I see.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Great points.  You may be right about other teams not wanting to deal with the Red Sox and Yankees.  I had never thought of this as a possibility, but could definitely be true. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Here is the change:

1. Crawford (LF) - This is where he has produced the most in his career
    2. Pedroia (2B)
    3. Gonzalez(1B)
    4. Ortiz(DH)
    5. Jacoby(CF) - The man is a machine put his 30 HR further down lineup
    6. Youk(3B)
    7. Reddick(RF)
    8. Salty/Tek
    9. Scutaro

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Time for a change for Lou V.  He is leaving this board to become a yankee fan at the same time to join the Yankee forum!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Simply put,the job of the leadoff hitter is to get on base and cause some havoc when he gets there. Crawford's on-base % has hovered around .285---one of the worst in the league. How's that gonna help the team out?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Drew wouldn't be of any help of he was playing.  They knew buch was hurt and that's why they got Bedard.

No argument about Lackey being extremely bad.

You're wrong about Lester - he had a bad game in his last outing and back on Aug 10, but in the 5 games in between he gave up only 4 earned runs.

The Sox have had 2 bad injuries to the rotation (Dice-k and Buch) and Lackey's poor pitching are finally showing up.  They had guys pitch out of their mind for a while, but that's over.

They are no longer getting the production from Redding, plus youk, pedroia, Big Papi, and Scut have been hurt at different times over the past couple of weeks.  Even Agon took a couple of days off because he was beat up.

Albers and Bard seemed to have hit the wall and it's caost them a few games.  Right now, the are losing games in every possible way.  Either the lose because of a lack of offense, bad starting pitching, or bad relief pitching - pretty much the exact same same they were winning games in June and July.

The team played out of their minds in June and July and they are physically spent.  Hopefully they play well enough to make the post season and give guys the rest they need and have them ready for the post season.

if the GM and Tito deserve blame, then the GM deserves it for siging Lackey and Crawford (one being bad could be overcome, but both stunking up the joint really hurts) and Tito deserves it for not getting players more rest earlier i the season.

But, they've had a tough, tough season.  Games going late into the night because of rain, short road series, etc.  The hurricane weekend by itself was horrendous.  There was that losing streak they went on earlier in the season after a long extra inning or rain delayed game. Recently, they arrived in Boston at 6am on the day they had a game at 7pm. 

The travel prevents them from getting the rest they need and, more importantly, the treatment they need.

I know how they can turn the ship around - hire the Yankees' trainer and make sure he brings his medicine bag.  Not only will the sox recover, but the Colon and Garcia will suddenly hit walls of their own.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely time for a change, but what? 

Tonight Beckett needs to pitch great and the team needs to score some runs.  So far the Rays are absolutely killing the Sox and could finish them off (almost) this weekend. 

Tonight's lineup puts Aviles in for Youk, which makes sense to me.  Everyone else is about the same as last night, except of course Tek is catching Beckett. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

[QUOTE] Simply put,the job of the leadoff hitter is to get on base and cause some havoc when he gets there. Crawford's on-base % has hovered around .285---one of the worst in the league. How's that gonna help the team out?
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

crawful at lead-off; wonderful, then he can make 5 outs a game instead of his usual 4. the only way crawful should lead off is when the league changes the rule to allow batters to steal 1st base.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I hope they don't
    make the playoff's, so that Henry can finally get rid of these morons!!! LouV

Red Sox will make playoffs. But if they continue to play AA ball, one of the fringe benefits would be if it lead to a pink slip for the idiot who had Ellsbury and Reddick and Kalish but signed Crawford for 142M. Add Lackey contract and you have the postal service.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Definitely time for a change, but what?  Tonight Beckett needs to pitch great and the team needs to score some runs.  So far the Rays are absolutely killing the Sox and could finish them off (almost) this weekend.  Tonight's lineup puts Aviles in for Youk, which makes sense to me.  Everyone else is about the same as last night, except of course Tek is catching Beckett. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Right now all the pressure is on Jon and Josh to pitch well and I'm sure it doesn't make for a comfortable feeling.  Weiland, Lackey and Wake suck the life out of our offense.  Tampa has five good pitchers "we have two" but our offense makes them look even better because they are usually forced to come from behind with our other starters.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

My biggest concerns about the team heading into the season were as follows:

1--the lineup was going to be too lefthanded (and Ortiz and Drew were both coming off 2010 seasons where they didn't hit lefties at all).

2--given the questions at shortstop, with the "old" lefties Ortiz and Drew, and at catcher coming into the season, the lineup wasn't "deep" enough for an American League lineup (you need 7 quality bats out there every game in the AL, unless you've got pitching like the Rays).

3--the bullpen leading up to Bard and Papelbon

I never in a million years thought in September that the rotation would be down to Lester, Lackey and a bunch of "other" guys (allowing for Beckett's injury, too). And I never imagined that Wakefield, at about age 59, would still be taking a regular turn in the rotation. I also thought that Lackey would be better this year. I really did. He wasn't a dominant pitcher in Anaheim but he wasn't a 6+ ERA pitcher either!

My fears in points 1 and 2 above have been realized, despite Ortiz's great comeback season, though I must admit that I also never imagined that Crawford would underperform like he has this year. Even if he stunk out the joint against lefties every night I still thought he'd give them .300-15-80 numbers, with 30+ steals.

Point 3 was going well until Albers started getting clocked frequently after the All Star break. And now that Bard is in a major slump (which has cost them 3 games in the last 3 weeks), the bullpen is once again a huge question mark for them.

I'll defend their lack of a move for another bat at the trade deadline if only because Buchholz's injury forced them to go out and get Bedard. Had Buchholz not been hurt, and they still didn't go out and get a quality major league right-handed hitter, I would have been extremely annoyed.

My biggest concern now is not the 2011 season. It appears to be over either way you slice it. Without a healthy Youk and a healthy Buchholz, the chances of them even getting out of the ALDS are below-average, if they make the playoffs.

No, my biggest concern now is the salary structure going forward. They owe the disappointing Crawford six years and $120M--totally untradeable, so they're stuck there. They owe the very disappointing Lackey three years and about $50M--nearly untradeable, too.

A-Gone's contract extension kicks in next season, and that's another what, 7 years and $140M? At least he should be worth most of that.

Then there's the Ortiz question. Do they pony up for two more years with him given the season he's had (no guarantees he'll ever recreate this kind of production again)? Or do they roll the dice and let him walk and risk him tearing them apart every time he visits Fenway for the next 2 or 3 years? Tough call.

Oh, and they also have to deal with Papelbon now, because it's starting to look like Bard won't be able to handle the closer job. He's never done it at the MLB level and his recent struggles in "big" games lead one to jump to the conclusion that he doesn't have the "closer's mentality" that's so necessary for that job.

It's good ballclub, but it's flawed. And unfortunately, I'm not so sure they're going to have the payroll flexibility to correct those flaws in any meaningful way next offseason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Crawford was never interested in being used as a leadoff hitter during his time with the Rays.    For most of his career he's been a No. 2 hitter.
    This year he's been up and down the lineup and hasn't hit much regardless of where he was put in the lineup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

When you are paid millions, it doesnt matter what lineup spot you are interested in. You play where it best fits the team. Either Crawford or Ellsbury has to go, and Epstein set a 142M welcome mat for Crawford.

Sections
Shortcuts