Time for a "stupid" question.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Time for a "stupid" question.

Pitcher throws ball and it is a ground ball down the left field line bouncing in the dirt at least three times. Next pitch it is a single to right that hits the dirt again. This ball stays in the game..

Pitcher throws the ball in the dirt catcher gives ball to ump and it is thrown out of the game>

Why???????? One and not the other?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Re: Time for a

It appears to me, watching games on TV and at the stadium, that whenever a ball hits the dirt or is hit by the bat, it is tossed.  Sometimes you don't see the ball get exchanged on camera, but it happens.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

It appears to me, watching games on TV and at the stadium, that whenever a ball hits the dirt or is hit by the bat, it is tossed.  Sometimes you don't see the ball get exchanged on camera, but it happens.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

I asked the question because I have seen it happen many many times. Also balls off the wall are continued to be used all the time.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think it's matter of balls being dead and in play.  If balls are hit and stay in play, then the balls stay, and balls are hit and went foul or on the dirt for called ball then considered dead and balls can get changed.  Just my guess.  But interesting point though.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's also an arbitrary process.....Why it is exchanged sometimes and not others can simply be when/when not a pitcher or catcher wants a new ball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE    Why ask, why worry? Why not just 'enjoy the ride' ?

[/QUOTE]

I do but Like I said a stupid question but one I have wondered about

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

good question Jim.  i think Sean's answer seems logical.  plus i believe the average life expetancy for a major league baseball is 3 or 4 pitches.  so although it is used after a single or in-play out....it wont be used much longer as it will inevitably be fouled into the stands or swapped out by the ump.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Pitcher throws ball and it is a ground ball down the left field line bouncing in the dirt at least three times. Next pitch it is a single to right that hits the dirt again. This ball stays in the game..

Pitcher throws the ball in the dirt catcher gives ball to ump and it is thrown out of the game>

Never ,Ever, Seen a ball hit down the line be put back in play.The ball may come back ,but will be taken out of game. Maybe given to fan ,or thrown into dugout and rolled back to fan. Just never seen ball hit down line and given back to umpire.I've seen new ball given to pitcher tossed back because it was slippery.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Hey Jim, 

Brings back memories of sandlot ball when we were kids. We usually came to the field with one ball, maybe two and if one or both were lost for some reason, hit into the woods, etc we had to go home. A new baseball at the local store wasn't cheap !!

Cheers, Hetch 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hey Jim, 

Brings back memories of sandlot ball when we were kids. We usually came to the field with one ball, maybe two and if one or both were lost for some reason, hit into the woods, etc we had to go home. A new baseball at the local store wasn't cheap !!

Cheers, Hetch 

Yup.

If we didn't lose it, we used it until the cover came off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Never ,Ever, Seen a ball hit down the line be put back in play.The ball may come back ,but will be taken out of game. Maybe given to fan ,or thrown into dugout and rolled back to fan. Just never seen ball hit down line and given back to umpire.I've seen new ball given to pitcher tossed back because it was slippery.

I do not agree with this....ball gets hit down the line and the Outfielder throws to second base....I can't say that I always see that ball taken out of Play....its gets thrown back to the pitcher who may throw it to the Ump for a new ball, but that is the pitchers choice.....this was the situation the other day with the hidden ball play in the Padre Giant game....Everth cabrera took a throw from the OF and held on to the ball....Sean O'Sullivan acted like he had it as he approached the mound.....and then Cabrera tagged our Sandoval....he wasnt out becuase the Ump neeeds to motion to the pithcer that play is back in an d the ball is no longer a dead ball, but if all balls to the OF were taken out of play, this could never have even been tried.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Hey Jim, 

Cheers, Hetch 

My dad was a kid during the depression.  He and his friends would stand outside of fenway during a game to collect home run balls.  They would play sandlot ball with broom handles and those baseballs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey Jim, 

Cheers, Hetch 

Yup.

If we didn't lose it, we used it until the cover came off.

[/QUOTE]

Seems to me we played with a few balls like you say with the cover ready to fall off. My bat was a Louisville Slugger, I think and was a 36 or 38oz which for me at 145lbs at 5'10" was a bit much but I was never much of a ball player. Guess that's why I gravitated to long distance running. Wasn't much good a football or Basketball either. My eye hand coordination was awful, but long distance running was a blast. Nobody to keep up with except myself.

Hetch 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Hey Jim, 

Cheers, Hetch 

I can remember playing at dusk with a ball taped with black electrical tape.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i was listening to a met game a few weeks ago at work and they mentioned this (or something similar at least). It's the duty of the umpire to change out baseballs. that said, Balls that get scuffed or dirty that make their way back to the pitcher to be used in a live AB are changed out at the pitchers discretion. The play-by-play guy (an ex-pitcher i presume) said that he would covet a ball like that being exposed to an era where almost every baseball was doctored. He said that most pitchers nowadays are the opposite of that. they are sticklers about ball cleanliness because they never threw or watched someone throw the baseball with extra mass/roughness on part of it. They would have no idea how it affects the movement and definitely wouldnt be able to control it. That's what he said anyway, which makes sense.

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Great question, Jim.

I've asked myself that same question many times.

If there's a grounder to short, for example, with a a few bounces and the play is made, the ball gets tossed around the infield and tossed back to the pitcher...no change...go figure.

On another subject, it pleased me the other day that while watching a game, the umpire on more than one occasion clapped his hands telling the pitcher to speed it up.  I wish I knew the umps name so I could send him a 'good job' note.

P.S.  How many times have you guys played with a ball so wet that you could wring the water off of it?...Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Great question, Jim.

If there's a grounder to short, for example, with a a few bounces and the play is made, the ball gets tossed around the infield and tossed back to the pitcher...no change...go figure.

On another subject, it pleased me the other day that while watching a game, the umpire on more than one occasion clapped his hands telling the pitcher to speed it up.  I wish I knew the umps name so I could send him a 'good job' note.

P.S.  How many times have you guys played with a ball so wet that you could wring the water off of it?...Laughing

Been there, done that! lol

Nothing slimier than a dirty, beat up, wet baseball.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

Great question, Jim.

Been there, done that! lol

Nothing slimier than a dirty, beat up, wet baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to throw and even harder to hit.

Sections
Shortcuts