Time for either Bradley or WMB to get on the bus to Pawtucket

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Time for either Bradley or WMB to get on the bus to Pawtucket

We have Pedroia, Vic, Ortiz, Nap and AJ----that I feel comfortable will make contact sufficient to get it out of the infield.

Right now Size would be next. That leaves Xander, JBJ and WMB--as non factors in the lineup. If Ross is in there in place of AJ--5 bats and almost 4 guaranteed outs. The pitchers have to maintain a 3 to 3.5 ERA to keep the Sox in games---that's a lot of pressure.

We all know this won't last much longer but at this time no one is running away with the East--I would send down Xander first and bring up Marrero to play SS. I would then send out WMB and bring up Ryan Roberts or Holt while WMB finds his swing. In two weeks if JBJ doesn't start hitting move Size to CF and platoon Carp and Gomes--send JBJ to AAA. It won't hurt to give these three a AAA breather to find their swings and hopefully get the swagger back. 

Yes they beat the Reds 2 of 2--hardly the best in the NL---they can't hit in the clutch either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

That leaves Xander, JBJ and WMB--as non factors in the lineup. If Ross is in there in place of AJ--5 bats and almost 4 guaranteed outs. ....I would send down Xander first and bring up Marrero to play SS. I would then send out WMB and bring up Ryan Roberts or Holt while WMB finds his swing.

I guess I can't tell anymore what is satire around here and what isn't, but

1. With an OBP pushing .380, Xander has hardly been an "automatic out."

2. What makes you think Marrero will be any better than Bogaerts offensively, or Roberts/Holt any better than Middlebrooks?

The Red Sox didn't make the decision to stick with Middy this winter so they could kick him out of the lineup after his first 15 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

NO, Not giving up just yet .....  NEXT 30 DAYS will speak VOLUMES  !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Errors havent cost this team wins so far this season...

Actually, one error by Bogey did allow the winning run to score, but I do agree, no one play or player wins or loses a game (except for maybe Papi).

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Flap you make some good points--who knows what's right and certinly none of us will be consulted. The many contributors to the Board seemed to think it was a good idea for Nava to get his swing back at AAA. Holt was swinging a hot bat both at AAA and in Boston when WMB came off the DL.

If it's good enough for Nava to get more opportunities at AAA why shouldn't it be for these three players. 

WMB, JBJ and Xander are a combined 62 for 263---.236 BA.

X and JBJ have each played in 32 games each have struck out 32 times and walked 17 and 16 respectively.

WMB has been in 15 games--15 K's and 7 BB's--BA .216--11 for 51.

Re. RBI--JBJ--13 in 32 games-----------------------Xander 5 in 32 games. I would like to see the BA's with RISP.

I'm not saying all 3 should get time @ AAA at the same time but staggered. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sorry, but patience with the kids is the motto for 2014.

It's still early.  One little hot streak by WMB, which he has shown himself to be very capable of, and his numbers will look a whole lot better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These guys are useless at the plate. As of right now, Bradley is at .210/.639 and Middlebrooks is at .200/.702. One needs to go tomorrow; the other should follow in about three weeks if there is no improvement. 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Why not give another player from Pawtucket a shot. Can they hit any worst then JBJ. Sox can take care of centerfield or 3b with little effort.  How long do we say it's ok to stink at the plate. 1,2,3,4 Months or more? Who cares what other teams in division are doing? Fix your own problem. Sox will have to face teams with good records ,not the weak division east. Look at the whole picture ,forget saying it's ok to stay around 500 just because .....More offense will help our starters.....or right now any offense will help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

These guys are useless at the plate. As of right now, Bradley is at .210/.639 and Middlebrooks is at .200/.702. One needs to go tomorrow; the other should follow in about three weeks if there is no improvement. 

Totally agree. Why not give another player from Pawtucket a shot. Can they hit any worst then JBJ. Sox can take care of centerfield or 3b with little effort

[/QUOTE]

Little effort?  Oh yeah sure, anybody from Pawtucket can handle centerfield just fine.  Heck, just grab somebody off the street for that matter.  Maybe John Fogerty would like to give it a whirl, he did write that song about it after all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Totally agree. Why not give another player from Pawtucket a shot. Can they hit any worst then JBJ. Sox can take care of centerfield or 3b with little effort

[/QUOTE]

Little effort?  Oh yeah sure, anybody from Pawtucket can handle centerfield just fine.  Heck, just grab somebody off the street for that matter.  Maybe John Fogerty would like to give it a whirl, he did write that song about it after all. 

[/QUOTE]

Is there a problem with Size playing CF while JBJ finds his swing in AAA? I think Size pretty much beat JBJ out in ST. It appears he's ready to play FT in CF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is there a problem with Size playing CF while JBJ finds his swing in AAA? I think Size pretty much beat JBJ out in ST. It appears he's ready to play FT in CF.

[/QUOTE]

Personally i love the OF of:  Size --- JBJ --- Vic

very hard for a flyball to hit grass with those 3 patrolling....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry, but patience with the kids is the motto for 2014.

It's still early.  One little hot streak by WMB, which he has shown himself to be very capable of, and his numbers will look a whole lot better.

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks has not only proved ineffective at the plate for a long time now but has shown that his defensive abilities are also lacking. Where does he provide "value added" to a team if that team wants to contend? If he cannot do the job then its time to give someone else a chance at it while he thinks things over at Pawtucket.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

offensive numbers are down across the board for the Sox thus far this year.  it seems every single player is below (or far below) their statistical "norm".  as fans, we have a terrible time with patience.  but somehow, someway we need to find some.  especially with having the kids play (which many of you wanted to happen). 

JBJ should be given the full year at CF.  he is a ++ defender and anything he gives on offense is a bonus.  and every single AB he has in the bigs this year will help him for next year...and the year after that....and 5 years from now.  it's called growing pains for a reason. 

WMB is a bit different because we have all seen this movie each of the past 2 seasons.  sometimes it was injury, sometimes it was terrible pitch recognition, sometimes it was fishing off the company in-game reporter pier.  right now i am willing to give him another month to sink or (hopefully) swim.

X-bo should be the starting SS for the Boston Red Sox for the next 10+ years.  He boots a ball or two as a 21 year old and now the avalanche has started that he is an atrocious defensive SS?  seems ridiculous to me.  Errors havent cost this team wins so far this season.  cold bats and even colder bats with risp have cost this team.  moving xander to 3b wont fix that.  take a season long Xanax and let the kid play SS.  again, it's called growing pains for a reason.  every play he makes (or muffs) this year will make him a better player next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Oops, his off-line-short-hop throw to 1B allowing opponent's winning run to score was ruled an error.  Or perhaps you missed that game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I get wanting to send JBJ down.  I don't agree.  but I get it.  His offense is suffering and, if he stays up, its hard to imagine him getting better quickly.  My own take is that it is best to keep him up and let him swim.  Yes, he is somewhat of a liability at the plate.  But, a. odds are he improves as the season goes on (if he doesnt improve noticeably by July, fine, then demote him), b. he is better when the lights are glaring a little, we dont have many guys coming through with RISP at the moment, and c. his defense has been nothing short of stellar.  That has to count for something in balancing out his offensive deficiency.  He is a rookie.  I think we gotta stick with him and live with his growing pains.

With Middlebrooks, omg, please, lets get some perspective.  He went 1-3 last night and his avergae jumped 15 points.  Not to mention he won the game.  Lets revisit his batting average when he is at least beyond the point where he can jump double digits in one night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Middlebrooks has not only proved ineffective at the plate for a long time now but has shown that his defensive abilities are also lacking. Where does he provide "value added" to a team if that team wants to contend? If he cannot do the job then its time to give someone else a chance at it while he thinks things over at Pawtucket.

[/QUOTE]

He's only had 61 plate appearances Pumps.  And his OPS+ is 103, so he hasn't been a total washout.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

offensive numbers are down across the board for the Sox thus far this year.  it seems every single player is below (or far below) their statistical "norm".  as fans, we have a terrible time with patience.  but somehow, someway we need to find some.  especially with having the kids play (which many of you wanted to happen). 

JBJ should be given the full year at CF.  he is a ++ defender and anything he gives on offense is a bonus.  and every single AB he has in the bigs this year will help him for next year...and the year after that....and 5 years from now.  it's called growing pains for a reason. 

WMB is a bit different because we have all seen this movie each of the past 2 seasons.  sometimes it was injury, sometimes it was terrible pitch recognition, sometimes it was fishing off the company in-game reporter pier.  right now i am willing to give him another month to sink or (hopefully) swim.

X-bo should be the starting SS for the Boston Red Sox for the next 10+ years.  He boots a ball or two as a 21 year old and now the avalanche has started that he is an atrocious defensive SS?  seems ridiculous to me.  Errors havent cost this team wins so far this season.  cold bats and even colder bats with risp have cost this team.  moving xander to 3b wont fix that.  take a season long Xanax and let the kid play SS.  again, it's called growing pains for a reason.  every play he makes (or muffs) this year will make him a better player next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Oops, his off-line-short-hop throw to 1B allowing opponent's winning run to score was ruled an error.  Or perhaps you missed that game.

[/QUOTE]

i didnt miss it.  i watch every game.  wrong man was playing 1b.  napoli would have scooped that ball.  bad throws are going to happen...it's up to the 1b to get the players off the hook sometimes.  didnt happen this time.  that game was already blown before that play.  dont you remember?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, it's time to be patient and see what these guys can do at this level.  Bradley had an OPS of .842 in 80 games at Pawtucket last year, so we know he can hit AAA pitching.  Now's the time, especially when he is probably the best defensive centerfielder (his DWAR is 2d best and his range factor is the best) in the AL and the Sox have no one remotely as good (or as healthy) for that position, to see if he can learn to hit MLB pitching.  People complain about Bogaerts fielding and ignore Bradley's fielding, which has in fact helped win ball games this year. So maybe that's why Bradley's composite WAR right now is .5 compared to Ellsbury's .7.  He has value.  And he is tied for 4th on the team in rbi's with 13, 3 more than Pedroia who has a lot more at bats. 

MBR hit 15 dingers in 2012 with an OPS of .835 in 267 AB's.  He is the big reason the Sox let Youk go.  Last year, not so good with an OPS of .696, but he still hit 17 dingers.  I think it is way too early--he's played in all of 15 games--to write him off, especially when that means moving Bogaerts to 3B and going after a SS. 

Speaking of Bogaerts, his WAR is .6, which makes him the 6th best overall SS in the AL right now. 

Speaking of Farrell and Cherington, they just brought a WS to Boston when absolutely no one thought that would happen.  Isn't it possible they know what they are doing? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, it's time to be patient and see what these guys can do at this level.  Bradley had an OPS of .842 in 80 games at Pawtucket last year, so we know he can hit AAA pitching.  Now's the time, especially when he is probably the best defensive centerfielder (his DWAR is 2d best and his range factor is the best) in the AL and the Sox have no one remotely as good (or as healthy) for that position, to see if he can learn to hit MLB pitching.  People complain about Bogaerts fielding and ignore Bradley's fielding, which has in fact helped win ball games this year. So maybe that's why Bradley's composite WAR right now is .5 compared to Ellsbury's .7.  He has value.  And he is tied for 4th on the team in rbi's with 13, 3 more than Pedroia who has a lot more at bats. 

MBR hit 15 dingers in 2012 with an OPS of .835 in 267 AB's.  He is the big reason the Sox let Youk go.  Last year, not so good with an OPS of .696, but he still hit 17 dingers.  I think it is way too early--he's played in all of 15 games--to write him off, especially when that means moving Bogaerts to 3B and going after a SS. 

Speaking of Bogaerts, his WAR is .6, which makes him the 6th best overall SS in the AL right now. 

Speaking of Farrell and Cherington, they just brought a WS to Boston when absolutely no one thought that would happen.  Isn't it possible they know what they are doing? 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

This.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Relax guy.  They are not hitting horrible.  Middlebrook won the game last nite.  His glove is better than any guy who played at 3b while Middlebrook was on DL.  Since Shane came back, the team are now 7-5 while he is on the team.  Meaning the defense is a much better defensively than they were in the month of April.

Right now I am a little concern about pitching esp for the bullpen.  They have lost the lead like four to five times in the past seven games.  Not good.  If they need to make a roster move, it is more likely to be for pitching changes.   Breslow could be the first guy to be remove.  But he was on DL for a long time.  Give him few more tiimes to get stronger.  Tawaza could be the next guy to be on the move, but he was like that last year.  He started off cold and got stronger at the end.

Well, it is too early to worry about who need to go and who should be call up.  They are playing well, and have gained like 2 games on the division title race which that is all we care about.  We just need to see team to win games and get into a hot roll no matter who is playing.  

It is all about team work, not individual thing!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's only had 61 plate appearances Pumps.  And his OPS+ is 103, so he hasn't been a total washout.

[/QUOTE]

Last year he had 374 plate appearances and his performance was just as dismal as this year, if not more so. He hit .227/.696 with an OPS+ of 86. Thats not a small sample size. His OPS has been around .700 for over 400 PAs. Time for him to get on the bus. This is NOT the time for patience; its time to improve the team and see if we can get a leg up on the rest of the ALE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year he had 374 plate appearances and his performance was just as dismal as this year, if not more so. He hit .227/.696 with an OPS+ of 86. Thats not a small sample size. His OPS has been around .700 for over 400 PAs. Time for him to get on the bus. This is NOT the time for patience; its time to improve the team and see if we can get a leg up on the rest of the ALE.

[/QUOTE]

The division is going to be tight the whole season.  Middy is most likely going to improve.  How many people replaced him last year when he went down.  This year Ben when out and got Ryan Roberts to replace him when hurt.  Roberts is now playing second for Pawtucket.  Ben has tried to replace Middy but Middy keeps coming back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, ok.  But that is allowing for no context at all.  Middlebrooks came up on fire in 2012, hit a wall as people figure him out.  Pretty normal for a rookie, even a good one.  Now, yes, he was awwwwffuulll for the first 2 months of 2013.  So they sent him down.  He retooled.  And since he has come back up, his obp has been north of .350.  So, really, when we talk about Middlebrooks' overall numbers being poor, we are talking about two terrible growing pains month to start last year.  I just don't see how we can draw conclusions from a young guy's numbers when he hasnt even played two full seasons in the bigs.  And particularly a guy who has been so up and down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Thing is, if the Sox were dismayed enough by his performance last year, they could have moved him (the Marlins have repeatedly been rumored to have interest) or kept him in Triple-A to start the season. They could easily have re-signed Drew and moved Bogaerts to third base, but they did not. Obviously they believe Middlebrooks is capable of being better than he was last year and decided to give him another chance, and I doubt there's enough new data yet (15 games' worth) to sway them from that decision. 

A couple of days ago his OPS was over .800...it then dropped nearly 100 points when he went 0-for-5 on Tuesday. If he goes on one little hot streak, as others have mentioned, his slash numbers will probably look really good again. If he's stinking it up in a few weeks I'll be more inclined to agree with you, but as it stands, we simply don't have enough of a sample size this year to make a judgment on him (which includes declaring that he's the same player he was last year...he hasn't had much of a chance yet to show otherwise).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

And again, I think some people are greatly exaggerating how bad Middlebrooks has been in his 15-game sample so far. While a .736 OPS (today's snapshot) is not exactly great, it is not terrible either...it's not like he's been experiencing Nava-like struggles here and we need to get him out of the lineup ASAP. (For some perspective, Pedey has a .746 OPS in more than twice the plate appearances.)

I disagree with sending Bradley down, but I'd demote him before Middlebrooks at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are so funny? YOU THINK?.... We have two centerfielders... Sizemore and Victorino.  We need more offence and JBJ or John Fogerty won't cut it...And about grabing someone in minors or trade would not be a problem? Question to you is .....Why is there no outfielders ? Maybe your just trying to be funny? Is there a song about that?

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And again, I think some people are greatly exaggerating how bad Middlebrooks has been in his 15-game sample so far. While a .736 OPS (today's snapshot) is not exactly great, it is not terrible either...it's not like he's been experiencing Nava-like struggles here and we need to get him out of the lineup ASAP. (For some perspective, Pedey has a .746 OPS in more than twice the plate appearances.)

I disagree with sending Bradley down, but I'd demote him before Middlebrooks at this point.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Furthermore, Middlebrooks' OBP is .350+.