Time for either Bradley or WMB to get on the bus to Pawtucket

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Time for either Bradley or WMB to get on the bus to Pawtucket

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep telling myself WMB is another Shea Hillbrand... but after looking at the numbers She was a bit better than I remembered.

I would trade WMB right now for a gold glove young short-stop (no not Iggy) and move Xander over to 3rd.

Let's move on... we don't have to love and keep everyone.

[/QUOTE]

Right now WMB is worth a bag of golf balls. Better to send him back down for the rest of the year and give him one last chance in ST.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

I keep telling myself WMB is another Shea Hillbrand... but after looking at the numbers She was a bit better than I remembered.

I would trade WMB right now for a gold glove young short-stop (no not Iggy) and move Xander over to 3rd.

Let's move on... we don't have to love and keep everyone.

[/QUOTE]

If the SOX could get rid of Nomar, they should have no problem getting rid of WMB. I'd love to see a trade package which included WMB and Doubie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

after that catch by JBJ, I think it is safe to say that he isn't going to Pawtucket anytime soon.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. He has about three weeks, if I were GM. I would send Middlebrooks (.204/.698) down tomorrow and tell Bradley he has three weeks to show why he belongs in the starting lineup. If he fails, I move Bogaerts to 3B and sign Drew for the rest of this year.  Bradley is batting even worse than Middlebrooks at .204/.628. That is, simply put, not good enough NO MATTER HOW GOOD HE IS DEFENSIVELY. I would need to see Middlebrooks at about .780 at least (because he is a poor fielder) and Bradley at .730 at least in order to keep them on my team. Its insane not to think about sending both of these guys down at this point.

[/QUOTE]

There aren't a lot of options to replace anyone at fenway, except maybe pitchers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Refresher course on WMB: in over 400 PAs over the last two years his OPS is hanging about .700, and he cannot field well either. FYI.

Are you sure about the fielding?  He's looked pretty good this year in the games I've seen.

[/QUOTE]

His UZR/150 is at a horrendous -7.7 this year; last year was even worse at -8.3. To save you time, here is the link to prove it-and yes, I am sure he is a below average 3B. I would send him down first and keep Bradley on board for a while because he can at least field his position. But if JBJ doesn't start performing offensively I would give him a ticket to Pawtucket as well. Here's the link to fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B#fieldingadvanced" rel="nofollow">http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B#fieldingadvanced

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

IMHO, 3 years is the approximate time fram for using UZR.

For example, Ellsbury went from 23 to -10 to 15.  He was never a -10 in real life, even though he is currently a -26 UZR/150.  Crisp went from from 25 to -5 to 21.  He was never really a -5 even though he is currently a -48.8 for the UZR/150.

Do you really put any reliability on a s/t stat that says Crisp is -48.8?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Bradley is a defensive outfielder at best who makes Coco Crisp look like a power hitter. Middlebrooks is awful and just hits mistakes. Great non moves this year Larry the relic Luchinno.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Middlebrooks is as bad as that other clown we picked up from Atlanta,bAndy Marte in 2006 for Renteria, who was suppose to be a power hitting 3rd baseman who could not hit his weight. Middlebrooks and Jackie Bradley Junior and a pitcher should have been packaged to The Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton. Now you could not get a bag of balls for both of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is as bad as that other clown we picked up from Atlanta,bAndy Marte in 2006 for Renteria, who was suppose to be a power hitting 3rd baseman who could not hit his weight. Middlebrooks and Jackie Bradley Junior and a pitcher should have been packaged to The Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton. Now you could not get a bag of balls for both of them.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, if we had only offered them WMB and JBJ, Stanton would be in a Sox uniform right now!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I was hoping we'd re-sign Drew and put Bogey at third.  But that ship is two-thirds of the way to Britain.

It'll be funny to see what happens with this thread, though, if WMB goes on one of his power surges.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's hard not to keep JBJ w/ his Defense but.......it puts more pressure on you to get more production out of the other positions.  Again, I see a left fielder who can mash as the mid season acquisition this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

IMHO, 3 years is the approximate time fram for using UZR.

For example, Ellsbury went from 23 to -10 to 15. He was never a -10 in real life, even though he is currently a -26 UZR/150. Crisp went from from 25 to -5 to 21. He was never really a -5 even though he is currently a -48.8 for the UZR/150.

Do you really put any reliability on a s/t stat that says Crisp is -48.8?

Defensive metrics are imperfect. However, they are the best indicators we have about how a player is performing defensively. When you look at the various factors used to evaluate Middlebrooks its impossible to conclude that he is even an average fielder. UZR/150 IMO is a good indication of this. His defensive WAR is also below 0. It would be irrational for anyone to conclude that he is even an average defensive 3B when you look at the fangraphs data provided in this link: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B" rel="nofollow">http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B. Add to that his inability to hit the baseball and its certainly not unreasonable to look at alternatives.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally I was hoping we'd re-sign Drew and put Bogey at third.  But that ship is two-thirds of the way to Britain.

It'll be funny to see what happens with this thread, though, if WMB goes on one of his power surges.

[/QUOTE]

I hope get Xander gets his chance to play third on a regular basis.  Then this talk about it being his natural position can be put to rest.  I think most of the talk was to get of Drew and put Xander at short.  Now here and on talk radio, people want him at third and Middy out.  Once at third the talk will be move him to left.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Third base is not Xander's natural position...we have a third baseman who makes plays defensively. What we need is a SS who makes plays defensively and Xander just isn't it. There was at least one ball he should have had last night...not that it makes a difference in the end since our offense is pitiful.

If you are going to have a pitcher like Buchholz on the mound who is going to give up a lot of hits..forget about offense for a while..you need a strong defense. Anyone suggesting that JBJ should go back down needs to re-think that position. He is making the defensive plays and saving runs.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Third base is not Xander's natural position...we have a third baseman who makes plays defensively. What we need is a SS who makes plays defensively and Xander just isn't it. There was at least one ball he should have had last night...not that it makes a difference in the end since our offense is pitiful.

If you are going to have a pitcher like Buchholz on the mound who is going to give up a lot of hits..forget about offense for a while..you need a strong defense. Anyone suggesting that JBJ should go back down needs to re-think that position. He is making the defensive plays and saving runs.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

[/QUOTE]

You are right, it is not his natural position.  He played 35 games at most at it last year between the sox and minors.  The beat writers have even given up on moving him.  He has not had an error lately so lets just keep him at short.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

You are right, it is not his natural position. He played 35 games at most at it last year between the sox and minors. The beat writers have even given up on moving him. He has not had an error lately so lets just keep him at short.

The problem is that if we leave him at short, assuming WMB is demoted, which he should be as of today, who plays 3B? Drew is unemployed and would most likely welcome a job, not that he alone is THE solution to our problems, but its a start. This team just cannot compete with two guys like Middlebrooks and Bradley in the same lineup, and because Bradley is performing defensively, keeping him for now is preferable to keeping the plummeting Wil Middlebrooks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Pumpsie:  I guess if Middy keeps laying an egg, then send him down and bring up Garin. I just don't see Garin being a solution.  JBJ can play all three out field positions and is more valuable because Victor needs a day off and JBJ does not.

But bringing up a AAA player can sometimes add spark.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The problem with that is that Buchholz doesn't give up a lot of hits.  I think is ~ #17 maybe in BAA.  And while he is on the plus side in GB/FB, it is not excessive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pumpsie:  I guess if Middy keeps laying an egg, then send him down and bring up Garin. I just don't see Garin being a solution.  JBJ can play all three out field positions and is more valuable because Victor needs a day off and JBJ does not.

But bringing up a AAA player can sometimes add spark.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, but oddly enough, this thread is about our AAA guys dragging us down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

emailed u joe in case u want to rejoin the league... one opening ....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Okay, let me take a look.  I assume there is a PW and stuff?  never took over a team before.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bradley/WMB undertakers are quieted momentarily.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's a rite of spring for these guys.  Everyone must go, every year.  Of course, they will be right occasionally, in the broen clock tradition, but the lack of fundamental logic can be astounding.  And this year, it seems to be worse than ever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fangraphs has him at -7.7 for 2014. That places him 24th out of the 32 3Bmen with 130+ innings at 3B.

[/QUOTE]

A complete list of the 32 with their UZR/150's would be a lot more useful. Then we could see how significant the differences are.

Here's a sampling...

2013-2014 UZR/150 at 3B (29 with 900+ innings)

1) +31.7 Uribe

2) +31.2 Machado

3) +20.0 Arenado

4) +15.7 Longoria

9) +7.6 Moustakas

12) +0.5 Lawrie

15) -2.6 Seager

18) -4.5 Polanco

21) -5.8 Beltre

22) -6.3 Johnson

23) -6.6 A Ramirez

24) -7.4 Middy

25) -7.5 Chisenhall

26) -14.3 Zimmerman

27) -19.8 Freese

28) -20.2 M Young

29) -20.7 M Cabrera

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

JBJ had a nice night at the plate.  Getting out at home was Butterfield's fault.  Butterfield has been to aggressive all year.  The Book on JBJ is that from first to third he is lightening but should not be sent to home on a close play.  Especially when Ortiz was coming up, Butterfield should have held JBJ.  Butterfield's decision to send JBJ most likely cost Ortiz some RBI's and his RISP average.  I wonder if David can appeal Butterfield's decision?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not even close HFX. Who cares how they did for a single game? Middlebrooks in particular has had 442 PAs over the last two years to show what he can do, and, unfortunately, thats exactly what he has done. We cannot afford both of those guys in our lineup, and since Bradley can play defense, he can stay for a while longer. Middlebrooks' time is up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not even close HFX. Who cares how they did for a single game? Middlebrooks in particular has had 442 PAs over the last two years to show what he can do, and, unfortunately, thats exactly what he has done. We cannot afford both of those guys in our lineup, and since Bradley can play defense, he can stay for a while longer. Middlebrooks' time is up.

Good for you for not being swayed by the results of a single game.  But what if WMB goes on a little tear?  If he has a couple of home runs in today's game his OPS for this year will probably jump about 150 points to 850+

Because it's still that early in the season for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Good for you for not being swayed by the results of a single game. But what if WMB goes on a little tear? If he has a couple of home runs in today's game his OPS for this year will probably jump about 70 points.

I think it would be wonderful if he proved me wrong. I am first and foremost a Red Sox fan. If he manages to suddenly and unexpectedly blossom into a productive player, I think that would be great! I consider it unlikely. I think he will continue to hurt his team with his production both offensively and defensively. What if he goes on one of his prolonged slumps and goes 2 for his next 25? I think thats more likely than him turning it around.