Time for Middlebrooks to go down

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Time for Middlebrooks to go down

Ks will always come with the territory with Middlebrooks.  That's not unacceptable - Mike Schmidt led the league in Ks four times.  But he has to get the OBP relative to AVG up.

Regardless, before last nights game he was 6 for his last 15, so even if you advocated a trip to Pawtucket for him a week ago, now we should all be at least in stand-by mode.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Will Middlebrooks likely will remain with the parent club in part because the Red Sox don't have a great candidate to replace him at third base.

In the 2011-12 offseason, I made comparisons between Middlebrooks and Seattle thirdbase prospect Alex Liddi: two same-age, righthanded power hitters who had been the opposing starting thirdbasemen in the 2011 Futures Game. I looked awfully foolish when Middlebrooks got off to his hot start in 2012 while Liddi floundered.

Nevertheless, I have compared the similarly small 2012 MLB samples of Middlebrooks after the Kevin Youkilis trade and Liddi for the entire 2012 season:

WM 134 PA, .240/.276/.416/.692, 6 BB, 33 K
    AL 126 PA, .224/.278/.353/.631, 9 BB, 49 K

... and Middlebrooks in 2013:

WM 103 PA, .194/.223/.418/.642, 4 BB, 32 K

The Mariners had the luxury of demoting Liddi because of the emergence of young thirdbaseman Kyle Seager. I don't see a Kyle Seager-type replacement for Middlebrooks at thirdbase for the Red Sox in the near future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Middlebrooks still has not played a full MLB season. Some of the excitement over him was overblown due to the struggles that Youk was going through. Middlebrooks is likeable and has a good attitude, but his performance has been spotty at best. At the moment he is more potential than results. He may not be the long term solution at 3b.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Middlebrooks still has not played a full MLB season. Some of the excitement over him was overblown due to the struggles that Youk was going through. Middlebrooks is likeable and has a good attitude, but his performance has been spotty at best. At the moment he is more potential than results. He may not be the long term solution at 3b.

He is a fine long term solution at 3B , but he may not be a middle of the order bat.  For a 3B with as much raw power as he has, a .240 batting average makes him an above average player.

I think that he certainly is the 3B of the future right now; however, I wouldnt be afraid to deal him for the right return.  And Im not 100% convinced that he's ready for clean-up duty.  This is why I was pushing so hard for Napoli.

I'd also be shy to move Middlebrooks to first (unless he makes significant strides with his plate discipline/approach).

But ....Due to his D and raw power, he will be fine as a third baseman.  Just maybe more of a 5/6 hitter than a clean up hitter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

He is a fine long term solution at 3B , but he may not be a middle of the order bat.  For a 3B with as much raw power as he has, a .240 batting average makes him an above average player.

I think that he certainly is the 3B of the future right now; however, I wouldnt be afraid to deal him for the right return.  And Im not 100% convinced that he's ready for clean-up duty.  This is why I was pushing so hard for Napoli.

I'd also be shy to move Middlebrooks to first (unless he makes significant strides with his plate discipline/approach).

But ....Due to his D and raw power, he will be fine as a third baseman.  Just maybe more of a 5/6 hitter than a clean up hitter.

I never saw WMB as a cleanup hitter right now either. maybe in a couple years if he improves, but I always saw him as a good 5-7 hitter.