Time is long overdue to....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Time is long overdue to....

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I've admitted I was wrong more than every poster on this site combined. (That's not an admission that I have been wrong more than others.)

I was certainly wrong about benching Ellsbury vs LHPs and batting him 9th vs righties. He caught on fire almost the second I posted this thread. I'm wondering if I should start posting similar threads about all our struggling players.

BTW, the sample size is still small, but there aren't many better options at leadoff right now.

His recent SBs have helped lead to runs. That must be killing softy... 

You make it sound as if Ellsbury is batting leadoff by default.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've always been a fan of switching around the batting order to ride the trend.  Earlier this season it may have been appropriate to drop Ellsbury in the batting order, now it seems like he's right where he belongs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Time is long overdue to.. . .

. . . . replace Farrell with a manager who knows what he is doing.  Until that happens, the Sox will continue to be mired in first place.  Thank goodness for moonslav and others like him are sharing their insights into how deeply flawed the Sox management is. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to rsinsider's comment:

I've admitted I was wrong more than every poster on this site combined. (That's not an admission that I have been wrong more than others.)

I was certainly wrong about benching Ellsbury vs LHPs and batting him 9th vs righties. He caught on fire almost the second I posted this thread. I'm wondering if I should start posting similar threads about all our struggling players.

BTW, the sample size is still small, but there aren't many better options at leadoff right now.

There is no way you have admitted you are wrong more than every poster combined ..... You should admitt you are wrong about that !!!!!!!!!!!

How many times do you read a poster here admitting a mistake?

Have you read all of my posts since 2005?

It may have been a bit of hyperbole, but I certainly have admitted being wrong more times than any 10 posters here... if not just because of longevity and the fact that I have stated thousands of positions and projections over the year, something some posters don't do very often.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

You make it sound as if Ellsbury is batting leadoff by default.  

It sounds like you would want Ellsbury to lead off even if we had someone better.

Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

. . . . replace Farrell with a manager who knows what he is doing.  Until that happens, the Sox will continue to be mired in first place.  Thank goodness for moonslav and others like him are sharing their insights into how deeply flawed the Sox management is. 

Would you stop the BS?

I have never once faulted Farrell even for one tiny thing he has done.

I have applauded many moves by Ben:

1) Called the Dodger trade "perhaps the best Sox trade in my lifetime".

2) Loved the David Ross signing.

3) Loved the Napoli signing.

4) Loved the Gomes signing (especially as a comparison to C Ross' deal)

5) Loved the Carp deal.

6) Loved the Uehara deal.

7) Loved the Breslow trade and extension.

8) Loved the Bailey deal at the time, and still do (in a minority here, I think).

9) Loved the fact that we kept our major prospects this past winter.

10) Loved the Aviles for farell trade.

11) I was one of the few posters here who was totally content with a Nava/Gomes platoon in LF, and stated that I would not be surprised if they combined for "one of the best OBP's on the team in 2013". (Big Nava supporter, esp against RHPs)

12) Loved the pitching coach change.

I have stated many many times that Ben should not have been judged on last winter, since his hands were tied (see the Bobby V fiasco).

I have been praising Sox ownership since day 1. I have never said one bad word about the owners or Larry L.

I happen to speak up if I disagree with some moves management has made. I don't think my track record on disagreements is either long or all that wrong in hindsight. Of course being as opiniuonated as I am, I am going to be wrong often, and I have been (see the Buch, Ells & Lowrie for J Santana position among many others).

Recently, I have been critical of:

1) Signing Papi to that much money. I siad over and over, I'd make sure he retires in Boston, but I think we could have paiid less or had more of his contract in incentives based on PAs.

2) Was against the Drew signing and playing him over Iggy (I have wanted Iggy as our FT SS since ST 2012- perhaps my single biggest beef with Ben).

3) Was against the Victorino signing and hoped we'd have traded for J Upton or signed A Pagan to the same money as SV but for one more crucial season.

4) Was against the Dempster signing and suggested we sign a guy like B McCarthy for $26M/3 (again a crucial extra season at about the same cost) or A. Sanchez.

5) I was against the Hanrahan deal, since I thought Melancon got a bad rap, but I also said none of the prospects traded seemed to be good enough to make it bigtime.

6) In general, I was upset that we did not continue where the Dodger trade had taken us. I was hoping we would have done 2 things this past winter, and I find it hard to think my ideas are patently wrong:

A) Fill one of our biggest 2 weak links: Top of rotation pitcher and solid RH'd middle of the order hitter.

B) Add players that could have helped us in 2013, but also several years beyond.

Is there something fundementally wrong with those two positions? Is having those two positions being anti-Ben or anti-Sox management? 

I have stated a number of times, that I thought the Dodger trade was when this team became Ben's team, and that counting that trade and beyond, Ben has done a good job rebuilding this team, keeping the farm intact,  and keeping financial flexibility intact from the Dodger deal onwards.

I have suggest trades over the years, but in no way are my suggestions meant to be put downs of the players I suggest trading or the GM not making those deals.

The jury is out on Ben, and he deserves a chance to prove himself. I have said that many times. So far, altahough several of his signings have not looked great on paper, this team has come together beyond my expectations. So far, I have been wrong about this team. I am hoping it continues, and our relatively good luck on the health front continues as well. 

I think Iggy should be playing 90%+ the games. I think we should look to trade certain players for higher value. I guess you disagree, so that makes you a Sox management supporter and me a Sox management hater in your eyes.  Every Sox player we have is exactly the player we need. There is no possible upgrade available. We are perfect. Ben is perfect. Everyone is perfect. Let's not speak one word of criticism. We should never lose another game.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think we should look to trade certain players for higher value.

This is not a complete statement though.  It could mean trade for players who will have higher value this year, or players who will have higher value in the future.  There's a big difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think everyone will have to understand that a lot of high cost FA pitchers havent worked out as good as a lot of teams would have hoped for the money they were paid. whether anyone believes it, we are in the middle of the "bridge years". The difference is that with our payroll, we can overpay to fill in with short term deals and wait for the kids, unlike the other teams that have to play the kids right now and let them develop in the big leagues.

BC is probably, from what Ive seen so far, wanting to develop pitching from within and fill holes in the rotation with guys like Dempster. Thats why Grienke and Sanchez were not options for this team last year. 2014 should be the start of the pitching shuttle to fenway for guys like Ranaudo, Webster, RDLR, Hernandez, Workman, Britton, Wilson, Beato, DeLaTorre, Rowland-Smith(not a prospect, but has been a very effective since converting from a starter), and Martin.

Position guys like JBJ, Brentz, Vasquez, Lavarnway, Bogaerts, Cecchini, Almanzar, Wilkerson, Shaw, will all be possibilities starting next year and the following year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I disagree with moonslav lots of times, including on this thread, but he is still one our best contributors.  He has opinions and marshalls some pretty good numbers to support them. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

There is no way you have admitted you are wrong more than every poster combined ..... You should admitt you are wrong about that !!!!!!!!!!!

It may have been a bit of hyperbole, but I certainly have admitted being wrong more times than any 10 posters here... if not just because of longevity and the fact that I have stated thousands of positions and projections over the year, something some posters don't do very often.

So now it's more than Any 10 posters here .... Way to move the goalposts when it serves you !!!And yes I've read everI one of your posts!!!! Too small off a sample size  if you ask me !!!! Ps I'm just ribbing you !!! Have a great day and keep up the good work !!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I've read a number of times where Moon has admitted to being in error.  To accuse him on this point, I think, I very unfair.

Besides, Ellsbury is hot now and with the contract situation what it is, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get maximum value for him now.

The only problem is that we're in 1st place...such a problem, eh?   Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we should look to trade certain players for higher value.

This is not a complete statement though.  It could mean trade for players who will have higher value this year, or players who will have higher value in the future.  There's a big difference.

I understand there is a big difference between the "here and now" posters, the "build for the futurze" posters, and the somewhere inbetween posters when it comes to trading players.

I am more towards the build for the long run type of person, because I think it will lead to being in it for the "here and now" over a long period of time. I really thought the plans I outlined this winter made us a very good team now, but also provided us with a few core players that would still be with the team, in their prime, for 2015 and beyond, in some cases.

People criticized my wanting to trade Lester for Myers last winter, but that was not the end of my moves. I'm not sure anyone thinks that would be a bad deal right now.

Look, I get the wanting to keep all the players we have now, because we are doing so well, even the players that will likely walk after this year with little or no compensation for their departure. I get the fact that having all 3 of Iggy, Middy and Drew is better for 2013 than having Iggy, Middy and Holt, but by how much? I am not sure what we could get by trading Drew, but if it is not a nice prospect, then I wouldn't trade him. If it is a nice prospect, I would not then be against trading that prospect with another player/prospect or two for a ML player that can help us more than Drew can (actually just more than the differential between Drew and Holt can) in 2013 AND 2014 or beyond. I can't see why this theory is so hard for some posters to handle. It may not be easy to pull off. I get that.

What makes me differ from many here is that I'd also be fine with just holding onto that prospect for Drew and shooting it out with Holt. Maybe make a seperate deal to add strength to the ML roster elsewhere.

We have a lot of nice prospects. We've had some recent drafts that netted us several prospects that have yet to show much, but nonetheless are plenty in number. I really like what Ben has done for our longterm future, and I hope he doesn't use that surplus to roll the dice on a 2 month rental. We will be facing a rule 5 crunch this winter, so I'm fine with Ben determining who is likely going to be taken on rule 5 or DFA'd to make room on the 40 man roster this winter and trying to make a 2 or 3 for one type deal this deadline, but I hope we don't see Boggy, JBJ, Owens, and a few other top prospects dealt away for a short term gain. I can see the point of view of some who see our bright longterm future and think we can balance the here and now a bit more by tapping into some of the future, but that's not my idea of good baseball. Am I OK with trading some good prospects for a young player under team control for several years? Of course! I was fine with trading some for J Upton and then extending him. I was also fine with trading some for young SP'ers like B Anderson or like last year's Gio Gonzalez, but that is not easy to do.

When we get closer to the deadline, I will give some specific trade ideas and comment on other poster's suggestions. The only guy I have mentioned since the season began is gallardo from the Brewers, but I'm not sure he's a good fit. His WHIP concerns me.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I disagree with moonslav lots of times, including on this thread, but he is still one our best contributors.  He has opinions and marshalls some pretty good numbers to support them. 

I agree with you maxbialystock, moonslav59 is one of the best contributors in this site!!!  Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So now it's more than Any 10 posters here .... Way to move the goalposts when it serves you !!!And yes I've read everI one of your posts!!!! Too small off a sample size  if you ask me !!!! Ps I'm just ribbing you !!! Have a great day and keep up the good work !!! 

OK, I made another mistake when I said 10 posters not all...

Undecided

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

LOL, mired in first place, good one!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I've read a number of times where Moon has admitted to being in error.  To accuse him on this point, I think, I very unfair.

Besides, Ellsbury is hot now and with the contract situation what it is, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get maximum value for him now.

The only problem is that we're in 1st place...such a problem, eh?   Smile

It would be silly to get rid of Ells right now. He will be a big part of us going deep into the post season the way he is hitting and stealing bases. Ill take the comp pick.

Im someone who likes to play for the here and now as well as the future. I think we are pretty stacked in the minors right now, so the need to acquire a small piece for the future that might disrupt what we have going now doesnt make sense to me.

We are stacked with rotation possibilities for the next few years. the left side of the IF is covered along with the right side with guys like Bogy, WMB, Cecchihi who could all play either corner. the OF should be set too with nava, Vic, JBJ, Brentz, Carp. we have Vasquez and lavarnway along with Swihart at catcher. Wetre pretty stacked, so I dont see the need to trade Ells if hes doing this well. Hes more valuable to us than a prospect right now. Same with salty. Drew would be the only possibility or even Middy. Middy would bring us back a much more valuable piece than Drew or Ells would. Maybe that pitcher we might need. Have to see how things shake out over the next couple weeks.

With Bogy being promoted there might be another move coming.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Mostly I'm glad Ben stayed away from the big money guys, and didn't dig into the minors.  It seemed like so many of the posters were handing out the pennant to TO, and the moves didn't make sense to me, and LA for providing yet one more massive contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Mostly I'm glad Ben stayed away from the big money guys, and didn't dig into the minors.  It seemed like so many of the posters were handing out the pennant to TO, and the moves didn't make sense to me, and LA for providing yet one more massive contract.

I was not for signing any of the big 3: Hamilton, Greinke or Sanchez, but I did say that Sanchez warranted a look. He had pitched over 190 IP for 3 straight years.

Once I saw all the money being thrown around this winter, I suggested that I'd rather have had Sanchez at $85M/5 or $100M/6 than Drew ($9.5M), Victorino ($39M), Dempster ($26.5M) plus either Papi at a shorter or less expensive deal or trading Lester (Myers?) to make up the difference.

I'm glad we are not saddled with Hamilton or Greinke's contracts, but the Sanchez deal does not look bad, so far.

(I know, I know, we might not have been able to get Sanchez no matter how much we bid for him.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

8) Loved the Bailey deal at the time, and still do (in a minority here, I think).

No, there are still some of us out there that don't necessarily look at s/t results.  I'm fine with the trade.  IRT everything else-

• Ross was good
    • Naps okay
    • Drew I liked a lot
    • Gomes, like everyone else, was overpaid ~ $1M
    • Like Vic
    • Like Dempster
    • Glad he didn't do anything about Doubront
    • Glad he didn't move Iggy like so many posters wanted
    • Glad he didn't move Aceves like so many posters wanted
    • Like Uehara
    • Still don't know how we got Breslow cheap
    • Very glad he didn't sign Ross
    • Had no problem with Hanrahan since I didn't think Melancon is a Fenway pitcher

Maybe the biggest problem I have with Ben was the decision to bring Bard back to the pros when he was walking everyone in sight in AAA.

Sections
Shortcuts