Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

...and people complain about his lack of BBs (23 in 328 PAs), but only Papi has more thyan 32 BBs this year.

Salty's 7.0% BB rate is better than...
    Agon   6.0
    Aviles  4.1
    Midds  4.6
    Sween 5.9

and pretty close to...
    Pedey  7.3
    Ellsb     7.1
    Shopp  7.0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We traded Shoppach today to a noncontender for a PTBNL. Maybe this was why Ben quickly changed the subject about which catcher to trade at the deadline... nobody offered anything significant for Kelly.

I have mentioned that once Papi comes back, Shoppach would be dealt on a waiver deal. I guess I was half right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty:
    OK guys, I'm not here to stick my face up Moon's behind like you expitch. That is number 1. You guys are the ones saying you need to teach me baseball 101. Telling me to please "follow this". Saying I'm ignoring things, ranting...etc. And IF ANYTHING, I'm the guy who projected Salty correctly. Do you hear me. IF ANYTHING, You guys got it wrong and I got it right. Salty has nose dived. Everyone in baseball knows it except you 3 or 4 who apparently just can't accept it. Moon, as you know, there is a huge difference in the data sample needed to judge CERA statistical significance as compared to standard BA and OPS data. You know it is at least 3 years. Expitch might think it is 3 minutes but you know it's 3 years of data. Why are you then harping at me over how Salty has done in CERA when it is about 1/2 year, not 3 years. As if it is a big deal. WOW, in that 1/2 year sample Salty you keep citing, which is not even statistically significant according to fangraphs, Salty is still not even EQUAL to Shoppach. BFD. Even in his best period of CERA success he still isn't all that close to Shoppach's CERA. You have lots of time to find supplementary data to help support your position Moon ( at least you cite some Moon, unlike most people here in this discussion ). But it doesn't outweigh the primary data IMO. We can differ on this but to me -defensive WAR is not good. League worst -8 DRS is really bad ( the net runs he has cost his team so far this year ). 4.64 CERA is really bad, on top of a career of bad CERA numbers. An 18% CS rate really stinks and I don't want to hear that it is always the pitchers causing it as we watch the release being slow and the throws being rarely on the mark and Shoppach nailing runners at a good rate. Those are primary defensive statistics, not supplementary data.  And 4 years of Salty's data is significant. He's not a freaking rookie any more. He's had a chance and he is not cutting it. Maybe he's acceptable for a lot of teams but not the Boston Redsox. We need better. Let's trade him. It's time to move on. We tried. We failed. Move on. Lavarnway has had 20 AB now in 2012. Time to throw him under the bus right expitch. Salty has had 9 weeks of AB and didn't hit much better in that time frame. I like Lavarnway's chances of moving his numbers up a heck of a lot more than Salty's.  The Redsox have to play Salty if they are going to get any value from him in a trade. They recently had Shoppach clear waivers. Shoppach is probably gone soon. Within days probably. And remember, as Cafardo insisted, they didn't even want to trade Shoppach at the break but now they are forced to if they want to give Lavarnway PT. If some contending team loses a RH catcher to injury, the first team they are going to call is Boston.   
    Posted by RedsoxProspects

Moon, I said almost exactly the same thing yesterday. It looks like they didn't have time to diddle around to find a better deal for Shoppach. No contenders biting as there was little need. Looks to me like they wanted to give Lavarnway PT right now. They could have held onto Shoppach and maybe gotten a little more but they wanted Lavarnway to begin his mlb career right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I said almost exactly the same thing yesterday. It looks like they didn't have time to diddle around to find a better deal for Shoppach. No contenders biting as there was little need. Looks to me like they wanted to give Lavarnway PT right now. They could have held onto Shoppach and maybe gotten a little more but they wanted Lavarnway to begin his mlb career right now.

With Papi not here, I thought Lava would DH everyday. I'm still curious if they will play Salty a lot to continue testing his stamina, or if they already feel like they know what they got.

Playing Lava to the end at catcher should give us a glimpse at what he can do, but the sample size will be small. I'm not expecting him to do great with the staff so early in his ML career, and I won't hold it against him. This will be a good learing experience.

I wonder what would have happened had Papi been healthy at the trade deadline. Maybe Salty would have been dealt- maybe not. I'm pretty certain either Salty or Shopp would have. Just my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Salty wouldn't have cleared waivers so it's a moot point. Again, i don't think the Redsox wanted to trade Shoppach but it seems like they were very focused on finding a way to let Lavarnway play. They moved Shoppach quickly for apparently little value. Things do not appear to be going the way they would like but they are committed to giving Lavarnway a shot.

Lavarnway looks like he is pressing to me. I've only seen maybe 5 of his AB since he came up. It looks like at least in those AB he was trying to pull everything. I guess in yesterday's game he got a hit to RF. Hopefully he is now settling down. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty wouldn't have cleared waivers so it's a moot point. 

I said at "the deadline", when waivers are not needed.

Again, i don't think the Redsox wanted to trade Shoppach but it seems like they were very focused on finding a way to let Lavarnway play. They moved Shoppach quickly for apparently little value. Things do not appear to be going the way they would like but they are committed to giving Lavarnway a shot.

I mentioned that one reason Ben perhaps tried to steer the trade conversations from Shoppach to Salty (if that is indeed what happened) was that nobody was really offering anything valuable for Shoppach, and Ben wanted Lava to play, so that left only one other choice: Salty. So, if this was true, it didn't mean he disliked Salty and wanted him out of here, but that it was just the best way to get value in return. Remember, Ben still thought we were in the race back then.

Lavarnway looks like he is pressing to me. I've only seen maybe 5 of his AB since he came up. It looks like at least in those AB he was trying to pull everything. I guess in yesterday's game he got a hit to RF. Hopefully he is now settling down. 

I hope so too, but this is part of bringing up a 24 year old- the learning curve can be painful at times. I think Ben wanted to avoid plunging Lava into the limelight during a playoff run. Look at how the media and fans roast anyobe for just the tiniest of slumps or a couple of missed tags at home plate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Salty wouldn't have cleared waivers so it's a moot point.  I said at "the deadline", when waivers are not needed. Again, i don't think the Redsox wanted to trade Shoppach but it seems like they were very focused on finding a way to let Lavarnway play. They moved Shoppach quickly for apparently little value. Things do not appear to be going the way they would like but they are committed to giving Lavarnway a shot. I mentioned that one reason Ben perhaps tried to steer the trade conversations from Shoppach to Salty (if that is indeed what happened) was that nobody was really offering anything valuable for Shoppach, and Ben wanted Lava to play, so that left only one other choice: Salty. So, if this was true, it didn't mean he disliked Salty and wanted him out of here, but that it was just the best way to get value in return. Remember, Ben still thought we were in the race back then. Lavarnway looks like he is pressing to me. I've only seen maybe 5 of his AB since he came up. It looks like at least in those AB he was trying to pull everything. I guess in yesterday's game he got a hit to RF. Hopefully he is now settling down.  I hope so too, but this is part of bringing up a 24 year old- the learning curve can be painful at times. I think Ben wanted to avoid plunging Lava into the limelight during a playoff run. Look at how the media and fans roast anyobe for just the tiniest of slumps or a couple of missed tags at home plate.
    Posted by moonslav59

i agree moon with your at the deadline statement. I guess i was referring to whether we are going to continue to play Salty or not. We can't trade him now so I guess yes we will be playing him. Probably in a similar manner to the combination with Salty and Shoppach. It is insigtful to me that they quickly traded Shoppach, at the earliest opportunity, for what looks like little return. It seems that their primary driver was wanting to bring Lavarnway up. They seemed to want to move Salty more at the break according to reports and keep Shoppach for whatever reason, as surprising as that seems to some of us. (edit ) But the main driver in this entire decision was possibly just to clear a spot for Lavarnway.

It's possible that the FO just thinks Lavarnway is a better option going forward. He has put up good offensive numbers his entire career. He just won defensive catcher player in the league in the International league. It just might be that the FO flatly considers Lavarnway to be the best option going forward for them, after almost 2 years of the Salty experiment. At minimum I think they want to see what they have got. Maybe Salty still catches for the Redsox next year but not on a strict platoon basis as with Shoppach. Maybe they move Salty and pick up another guy. When the Sox moved Exposito earlier in the year it seemed that they felt Lavarnway was their guy going forward. We will see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lavanway has certainly not impressed anyone. I think his handling of the pitchers and calling the "right" pitch is deemed to be very good. But, and this is worrisome, he needs a lot of work on popups and balls in the dirt. He's going to have the same problem with RH pitchers as Salty does with lefties.

I've seen at least 50 catchers come up to the Red Sox (and the old Braves) from the minors, and it's hard to think this fellow is going to be a Moe Berg or Carleton Fisk. (or even a Shanty Hogan).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

His splits against RH pitcers is fine. If that is what you mean. So far, in his very short mlb career he has saved more runs than cost runs ( a Plus 2 DRS at catcher ).

I didn't see the pop up but it sounds like he blew one yesterday. I doubt if he is as good as most catchers with balls in the dirt. Overall though he has not been a negative defender at least yet in mlb.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I've never seen a guy hit 20 HRs and receive less credit or more hate than Salty. Daubach was hailed a conquering hero as a 20 HR guy and he was a miserable defensive first baseman who struck out a lot too. Salty is playing a far more demanding position. 
    Posted by dannycater

I'd rather have a combined 10 homers out of my CA/SS postions if they were Gold Glove/defensive stallwart  caliber players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i agree moon with your at the deadline statement. I guess i was referring to whether we are going to continue to play Salty or not. We can't trade him now so I guess yes we will be playing him. Probably in a similar manner to the combination with Salty and Shoppach. It is insigtful to me that they quickly traded Shoppach, at the earliest opportunity, for what looks like little return. It seems that their primary driver was wanting to bring Lavarnway up. They seemed to want to move Salty more at the break according to reports and keep Shoppach for whatever reason, as surprising as that seems to some of us. (edit ) But the main driver in this entire decision was possibly just to clear a spot for Lavarnway.

It didn't surprise me that we tried to trade from one of the few areas of strength and depth we have this year. I hope the deadline was not the going to end up being the peak stock value point. (I had thought last winter would be, but after a hot start, and an apparent turning around of the CERA issue, I think it might have reached it's peak in mid-June.) He still had an .801 OPS at the deadline.

It's possible that the FO just thinks Lavarnway is a better option going forward. He has put up good offensive numbers his entire career. He just won defensive catcher player in the league in the International league. It just might be that the FO flatly considers Lavarnway to be the best option going forward for them, after almost 2 years of the Salty experiment. At minimum I think they want to see what they have got. Maybe Salty still catches for the Redsox next year but not on a strict platoon basis as with Shoppach. Maybe they move Salty and pick up another guy. When the Sox moved Exposito earlier in the year it seemed that they felt Lavarnway was their guy going forward. We will see.

If Lava is to be the 60-65% catcher next year, I can't see us keeping Salty around. He'll be too expensive as a 33% catcher, and he doesn't hit well enough to be a DH. I still say Salty will be traded this winter, unless Papi walks or Lava bombs. 

His splits against RH pitcers is fine. If that is what you mean. So far, in his very short mlb career he has saved more runs than cost runs ( a Plus 2 DRS at catcher ).

He's done fine vs RHPs in the minors, and is only been a little better vs LHPs, so it would be nice to have a FT catcher that is balanced.

I didn't see the pop up but it sounds like he blew one yesterday. I doubt if he is as good as most catchers with balls in the dirt. Overall though he has not been a negative defender at least yet in mlb.

I'm not going to make any judgements on so few games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : I'd rather have a combined 10 homers out of my CA/SS postions if they were Gold Glove/defensive stallwart  caliber players.
    Posted by EnchiladaT

I'd rather not have Josh Beckett in my rotation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hear you danny, and agree, but...

Is Lackey an improvement?

If soneone gets hurt...

How much will we have to pay of his contract?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tough loss tonight. The big error by Cook seemed to really open the floodgates. 

No Lava. No Ciriaco starting.

Hmmm...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Salty has hit well under .180 in his last 100 AB.

Hmmm...

The only reason they are platooning Salty and Lavarnway is because they couldn't trade Salty at the break, can't get him through waivers now and they can't play Lavarnway all the time.

IMHO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

Update on Salty's CERA.            CERA  IP     ER 2010:  4.33   44     21 2011:  4.62  856  439  2012 />4/25 7.24   97     48 4/25> 4.10  573  261                                   CERA  IP   ER 2010 to 4/25/2012:  4.86  997  538 From 4/26-8/12/12: 4.10  573  262 Shoppach > 4/25  4.14 4/26>   3.92 Lava:     5.00 (9 Ip 5 ER) After 4/25/12 Shoppach improved with the staff by 0.22 in CERA. After 4/25/12 Salty improved with the Sox staff by 3.14 in CERA. Salty in other areas of defense:                2011   2012 PB/inn    .030    .008 WP/inn   .048    .032 PB+WP   .078    .040 He's almost cut his PB/WP per inning in half. He's also better than the league average of .044. Salty's Fldg%  .992 MLB catchers  .992 DPs per inning: Salty  .003 MLB   .001 CS% Salty  18% MLB   26% (If Salty had a 26% rate, he'd have just 6 more CS'ings so far.) WAR Value on Fielding Salty  -1.5  (21st out of 30 MLB catchers) Yes, baseball reference has him -15 in Rdrs/yr (or 1200 innings). Salty might get 800-900 innings this year, so his net might be minus 10-11. I'm skeptical about this catcher metric, but it is what it is. I've seen improvement in Salty over 2010-2011 and up to April 25th of this year. At age 27, I think writing this off in the interest of his overall career or Sox numbers is not taking into consideration the learning curve of a catcher. How come Josh Reddick's offensive improvement is noteworthy, but Salty's behind the plate is not?
    Posted by moonslav59

I do believe that Salty was showcasing for the All Star Team. I remember how disappointed he was that he did not make the team. After that the hitting went downhill fast.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...kinda like Oil Can Boyd...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If Salty tanks all series it's time to increase Lavarnway's PT significantly. He's LH, in Yankee stadium playing against RH pitching, coming off a .180 average for the past 2 and 1/2 months. We can't wait for him forever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Time to Bench Salty:
    I imagine the brass is getting tired of Salty's strike outs. I can't remember anyone this bad who kept his job this long. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. Time to hand the job over to Lavanway. Nothing to lose at this point.
    Posted by bosoxmal

We can go on all day about Salty but the bottom line is a .282 OBP and 226 BA is not helping our cause.  I wouldn't bench him but at least play Lav every other day or a bit more if the plan is to use him as our catcher.  He needs to learn the staff ASAP

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We can go on all day about Salty but the bottom line is a .282 OBP and 226 BA is not helping our cause.  I wouldn't bench him but at least play Lav every other day or a bit more if the plan is to use him as our catcher.  He needs to learn the staff ASAP

I understand this point and do not necessarily disagree at this point. However, I see two conflicting things going on here besides the "are we in it or not" angle.

1) Lava needs to be playing as a catcher to grow and progress. He needs to begin to get a feel for playing on the Red Sox (park, media, fans...). He needs to learn our staff as quickly as possible.

2) Salty basically collapsed last year (.221 in Aug & .162 in Sept), and that was a big concern going into this year. It is a question that management probably wants to be answered to some extent this year. It plays into their plans for 2013. I'd say if Salty collapses again this year, he would not be a big part of their plans for 2013 or beyond (via an extension or re-signing him as a FA). If he comes to life over the next few weeks, they'd still know he a streaky hitter, but that maybe his stamina or durability is not "the" issue. The other "big issue" with Salty was his defense, and particularly his handling of the staff. Salty has shown great strides in this area as evidenced by his 4.05 CERA since April 25, 2012. Maybe management wants to further test this aspect of Salty's skillset as well. Maybe management still thinks we have a chance and wants to continue playing the catcher they think has a better chance of getting the most out of our pitching staff. Lord knows our staff needs every tiny boost they can get.

I've also mentioned this several times already: although Salty's .282 OBP and .226 BA are not helpful, we do need to look at those numbers in the context of the catching position in MLB today.

6 teams have a catcher OBP below .282. (10 teams below .291)
    10 teams have a catcher BA below .226. (18 teams below .242)

To be fair, we should also point out that ...
    25 teams have a worse SLG% than Salty's .462.
    20 teams have a worse OPS than Salty's .743.

Salty's OPS is actually slightly higher than his 2011's .737.

I am very troubled by Salty's 0 HRs and 1 RBI in August. It's not a slamdunk call as to who should be starting more games. I am a bit surprised Lava hasn't DH'd more often since being called up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

We can go on all day about Salty but the bottom line is a .282 OBP and 226 BA is not helping our cause.  I wouldn't bench him but at least play Lav every other day or a bit more if the plan is to use him as our catcher.  He needs to learn the staff ASAP I understand this point and do not necessarily disagree at this point. However, I see two conflicting   things going on here besides the "are we in it or not" angle. 1) Lava needs to be playing as a catcher to grow and progress. He needs to begin to get a feel for playing on the Red Sox (park, media, fans...). He needs to learn our staff as quickly as possible. 2) Salty basically collapsed last year (.221 in Aug & .162 in Sept), and that was a big concern going into this year. It is a question that management probably wants to be answered to some extent this year. It plays into their plans for 2013. I'd say if Salty collapses again this year, he would not be a big part of their plans for 2013 or beyond (via an extension or re-signing him as a FA). If he comes to life over the next few weeks, they'd still know he a streaky hitter, but that maybe his stamina or durability is not "the" issue. The other "big issue" with Salty was his defense, and particularly his handling of the staff. Salty has shown great strides in this area as evidenced by his 4.05 CERA since April 25, 2012. Maybe management wants to further test this aspect of Salty's skillset as well. Maybe management still thinks we have a chance and wants to continue playing the catcher they think has a better chance of getting the most out of our pitching staff. Lord knows our staff needs every tiny boost they can get. I've also mentioned this several times already: although Salty's .282 OBP and .226 BA are not helpful, we do need to look at those numbers in the context of the catching position in MLB today. 6 teams have a catcher OBP below .282. (10 teams below .291) 10 teams have a catcher BA below .226. (18 teams below .242) To be fair, we should also point out that ... 25 teams have a worse SLG% than Salty's .462. 20 teams have a worse OPS than Salty's .743. Salty's OPS is actually slightly higher than his 2011's .737. I am very troubled by Salty's 0 HRs and 1 RBI in August. It's not a slamdunk call as to who should be starting more games. I am a bit surprised Lava hasn't DH'd more often since being called up.
    Posted by moonslav59

As usual moon you make good points. I realize other teams also have poor catching stats and recognize Salty's improvement defensively.   Our present team we both know can't carry this kind of bat unless everyone is healthy and playing up to potential.  We have one big disfunctional family so every player and manager assessment we make is crucial.

It's a very tough decision but lets at least keep Lav in the lineup for the remainder of the games as much as possible.  One hot streak from Salty won't save this season for us, or make him much better. The biggest concern I have with Salty is the fact he has been catching long enough and should be showing signs of improvement defensively so how important are these stats when looking at the big picture?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As usual moon you make good points. I realize other teams also have poor catching stats and recognize Salty's improvement defensively.   Our present team we both know can't carry this kind of bat unless everyone is healthy and playing up to potential.  We have one big disfunctional family so every player and manager assessment we make is crucial.

It's a very tough decision but lets at least keep Lav in the lineup for the remainder of the games as much as possible.  One hot streak from Salty won't save this season for us, or make him much better. The biggest concern I have with Salty is the fact he has been catching long enough and should be showing signs of improvement defensively so how important are these stats?

I count handling the staff as the biggest part of catcher defense, so I see Salty's "defense" as improving immensly from 2011, but I also have seen improvement in blocking bad pitches(less WPs)  and less passed balls. We can agree to disagree here, but Lava should be in the line-up at least until and if Papi returns. I don't get it.

As to Salty "catching long enough", many catchers don't "get it" until age 30 (like VTek) of maybe 28 or 29. Salty just turned 27. He spent many "development years" sitting on the bench in the majors, as Lava is now doing this month. He only became a FT catcher last year and still only started 96 games (856 innings). The most before that was 82 games way back in 2009. He is not as "experienced" as many feel he is or should be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

More on Salty's catching experience:

I can see how the argument can be made that he has been catching in professional baseball for 10 years (2003-2012), and he should have "gotten it" by now. That position has merit. However, he started at age 18.  He was called up at age 22 and actually played more games at 1B than Catcher that year. Here are the total games Salty has played at catcher over his career- minors and majors:

minors Majors Total

03  36  0   36
    04  50  0   50
    05  93  0   93
    06  81  0   81
    07  20 19  39 (35 IB)
    08  15 52  67
    09  2   82  84
    10  61  6   67
    11   0  96  96
    12   0  76  76+

Never over 96 games as a catcher.
    5 of 10 years under 67 games as a catcher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

More on Salty's catching experience: I can see how the argument can be made that he has been catching in professional baseball for 10 years (2003-2012), and he should have "gotten it" by now. That position has merit. However, he started at age 18.  He was called up at age 22 and actually played more games at 1B than Catcher that year. Here are the total games Salty has played at catcher over his career- minors and majors:   minors Majors Total 03  36  0   36 04  50  0   50 05  93  0   93 06  81  0   81 07  20 19  39 (35 IB) 08  15 52  67 09  2   82  84 10  61  6   67 11   0  96  96 12   0  76  76+ Never over 96 games as a catcher. 5 of 10 years under 67 games as a catcher.
    Posted by moonslav59

Its going to take him more than a year or 2 to build that stamina...This is what Ive been preaching Moon, but all everyone want to see is how many years hes been playing, not how many games in a year he has actually been behind the dish. Theres a HUGE difference between the two.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

More on Salty's catching experience: I can see how the argument can be made that he has been catching in professional baseball for 10 years (2003-2012), and he should have "gotten it" by now. That position has merit. However, he started at age 18.  He was called up at age 22 and actually played more games at 1B than Catcher that year. Here are the total games Salty has played at catcher over his career- minors and majors:   minors Majors Total 03  36  0   36 04  50  0   50 05  93  0   93 06  81  0   81 07  20 19  39 (35 IB) 08  15 52  67 09  2   82  84 10  61  6   67 11   0  96  96 12   0  76  76+ Never over 96 games as a catcher. 5 of 10 years under 67 games as a catcher.
    Posted by moonslav59
    There you go with the factual record again. Apparently nothing can be done to break you of that annoying habit. Sigh. I guess we'll just have to tolerate you -- and your tolerance for and patience with ballplayers, especially ones trying to learn the most demanding defensive position in the game, all things considered.

Sections
Shortcuts