Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am near certain that either Salty or Lava will be dealt. If it is Lava, I think we will try to extend Salty.

[/QUOTE]

for sure, i think salty will continue to improve so i am hesisitant to deal him. plus, i think lava would get us a better return than salty

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Probably, unless we are trading with a team that wants to win in 2013 and has a rotten catching position right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If salty stays and continues to improve, a 3-4 year extension would be possible. Vasquez is still 2-3 years away and Swihart a little longer...Makes perfect sense if he shows more improvement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the title of this thread could be called, "Time to Trade Salty".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What are the White Sox options at catcher this year?

I gotta think a Salty and another player (Breslow? Miller? Melancon?) for Gavin Floyd is something that may be in the works.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

What are the White Sox options at catcher this year?

I gotta think a Salty and another player (Breslow? Miller? Melancon?) for Gavin Floyd is something that may be in the works.

[/QUOTE]

They like the Flowers kid, thats why AJ is still out there...Maybe though. I think Salty and one more player is plenty for Floyd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I think you've seen the best of Salty.  There isn't much that is going to change the way he handles his at bats.  Coaching may cut down a little on his errant swings but he is always going to stike out.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think you've seen the best of Salty.  There isn't much that is going to change the way he handles his at bats.  Coaching may cut down a little on his errant swings but he is always going to stike out.  

[/QUOTE]

hes gotten better every year. not outside the realm of possibility to think he will get better again this year (in a contract year no less)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hes gotten better every year. not outside the realm of possibility to think he will get better again this year (in a contract year no less)

[/QUOTE]

He improved his defense by leaps and bounds. That was the area in most need of advancement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston has three catchers right now. 

How about Cherington trading Salty, Iglesias, and a prospect to Oakland for Brett Anderson?

Oakland needs a SS, Salty would be an upgrade (especially offensively) over their current catcher, and a prospect to sweeten the deal. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boston has three catchers right now. 

How about Cherington trading Salty, Iglesias, and a prospect to Oakland for Brett Anderson?

Oakland needs a SS, Salty would be an upgrade (especially offensively) over their current catcher, and a prospect to sweeten the deal. 

[/QUOTE]

maybe salty and Jacoby could get the job done. I think oakland values B Anderson and we would have to give up a bit. but good news is that Oakland is a contender nowadays and may view salty/jacoby as the push they need to win it all.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oak doesn't want one year players with higher salaries than Anderson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Keep Salty! At least 1 more year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's a FA after 2013. I think trading him makes most sense.

Option 2: extend him now, before he improves even more and wants a huge paycheck, and then trade Lava.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if Beane thinks they can win it all in 2013 by supplementing his team with 1 year guys (great 1 year guys no less) then i could see it. but we do not know the mindset of BB really. and we have enough slack in our payroll that we could send cash along with them to ease their impact on oaklands checkbook

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if Beane thinks they can win it all in 2013 by supplementing his team with 1 year guys (great 1 year guys no less) then i could see it. but we do not know the mindset of BB really. and we have enough slack in our payroll that we could send cash along with them to ease their impact on oaklands checkbook

[/QUOTE]

I guess it could happen, but it would be a totally new philosophy by BB.

Personally, I think BB would want Lava not Salty. Lava is likely better than what he has right now for 2013, but would give him 5 more years of team control than Salty. I suggested Tazawa to perhaps help the A's Asian marketing and their pen. We could also give them a SS prospect, but I think they are looking for something more immediate. They wanted Aviles last summer, but he's gone now.

I'd love to get Anderson for Ells, Salty and a prospect, but I doubt it will happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think BB would want Lava not Salty. Lava is likely better than what he has right now for 2013, but would give him 5 more years of team control than Salty. I suggested Tazawa to perhaps help the A's Asian marketing and their pen. We could also give them a SS prospect, but I think they are looking for something more immediate. They wanted Aviles last summer, but he's gone now.

I'd love to get Anderson for Ells, Salty and a prospect, but I doubt it will happen.

[/QUOTE]

regardless of what the pieces are we certainly have them to get a deal for BA done..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

regardless of what the pieces are we certainly have them to get a deal for BA done..

[/QUOTE]

Now that B McCarthy is gone, the list is shrinking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I bet somehow Salty ends up in CWS and we get Floyd.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Other needs aside, my preference would still be to keep both Salty and Lav.  Both are still developing, and it would be nice to give each of them at least one more year to see what kind of progress they make.  I'd hate to trade one away only to have him have a breakout year.  That said, I'm sure one of them will be dealt soon.

If the Sox deal Lavarnway, I don't think they should sign Salty to an extension right now.   While I agree that he's improved, I am not sold on his defense yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Other needs aside, my preference would still be to keep both Salty and Lav.  Both are still developing, and it would be nice to give each of them at least one more year to see what kind of progress they make.  I'd hate to trade one away only to have him have a breakout year.  That said, I'm sure one of them will be dealt soon.

If the Sox deal Lavarnway, I don't think they should sign Salty to an extension right now.   While I agree that he's improved, I am not sold on his defense yet.

[/QUOTE]

If Salty improves with the CWS we can sign him as a FA next winter anyways.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While none of our 3 catchers are top 10, my guess is there are teams who feel one of ours is an upgrade over what they have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I doubt Oakland needs an outfielder because they already have Cespedes, Reddick, Young (via a recent trade with Arizona) and Coco (who I think Oakland will trade).

Oakland has a surplus of good starting pichers.  I think Beane would be willing to trade Anderson for the right players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt Oakland needs an outfielder because they already have Cespedes, Reddick, Young (via a recent trade with Arizona) and Coco (who I think Oakland will trade).

Oakland has a surplus of good starting pichers.  I think Beane would be willing to trade Anderson for the right players.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but they might not be in their usual rebuild mode for 2013. They would want some offense or a big upgrade at a position of weakness. We can give them some, but we may need to involve a 3rd team to get the deal done.

Maybe Ellsbury to the 3rd team and that team gives Oakland someone they need for 2013, then we give them Salty or Lava, a pitcher from Tazawa, Aceves or Morales, and a 3Bman for the future in Cecchini. (We may get Coco as part of the deal to take Ells slot and bridge to Bradley.)