Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I tend to agree moon and don't consider Salty much below average. 

He's, at worst, about the 15th best starting catcher in MLB overall.

When I was comparing him to VTek, I was talking more about the defense. They are too different to compare offensively. As you might know, VTek led the majors in PBs at age 27 & 28 while his CS rate was mid 20's. He had less PBs in the 5 year stretch from 2003-2007 than he had in 1999 alone. (Granted, he caught Wake back then, but still...)

Unfortunately our team isn't gifted with a lot of great players, or potentially solid OBP's so Salty's numbers stand out a lot more.  

True, but who's out there to get that is much better? And, at what cost?

Tek's career was similar after 07 with a much less effective supporting cast. 

Supporting cast?

Comparing Tek to Salty may not be the best example but he was the last person we considered a long term asset for the position.  Teks defensive was probably similar early on and his SLG percentage lower but his OBP's continued to rise making him much more valuable to the club.

Tek   

Age 26 ".309" OBP/SLG .407, Salty .288 

Age 27 ".330" OBP/SLG .482, Salty .288

Age 28 ".342" OBP/SLG .388 

Age 29 ".371" OBP/S

Why did you stop at age 29?

Age 30 ".332" OBP 

Age 39 ".300" OBP, no longer our starter and still better in almost every area than Salty

I think Salty needs to turn that corner before we even begin to consider him as our long term starter, otherwise we need to give Lav or another youngster the same opportunity. 

I agree that Salty needs to turn that corner this year. Hes looked good so far in ST and hopefully he can carry that into the regular season. Then we can start talking about a possible extension...

i would like that. Lava is not future catcher and our other catching options are either "meh" or a few years off. Ross is only signed for 2 more years and i'm not sure he will be very effective after thsoe 2 years.

Vasquez could very well be ready come 2015. Maybe even next year...Have to see how he handles a full year at AA. I really like this kid. Worked with the Molinas in their home country. Couldnt ask for much better teachers to show him how to play the position.

I would love to see Salty improve to the point we could extend him but he seems to be taking longer than "even Tek" to turn the offensive corner.  Others deserve the same opportunity so I truly believe this will be Salty's last chance to show improvement offensively and remain in Boston.  If Teks numbers couldn't cut it anymore as our starter there is no reason Salty's should.   

As far as Lav and Vasquez I think it's still too early to call, remember names like Wagner, Exposito, Ibarra and others people raved about? 

I do remember those names, but theres something different about Vasquez...Not saying its a sure thing. Not by a long shot. I just see something different about him than the others you mentioned. Plus, I never raved about any other Sox catcher in years...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Age 39 ".300" OBP, no longer our starter and still better in almost every area than Salty

VTek:  CS% last 3 seasons: 13%, 21%, 14%

Salty his last 2: 31% & 18%

There's one area, Salty is better.

VTek: Last season at 39: 17 WP and 6 PB in 575 Innings

Salty in 2012: 23 WPs and 6 PBs in 852 Innings.

Advantage Salty.

VTek: BA/OBP his last 4 years:

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

Advantage VTek on OBP/Advanbtage Salty on BA (slight).

VTek: SLG%: .359, .390, .473, .423 (Last 2 seasons in a reduced role)

Salty: .450 and .454 in a more significant sample size. One more to Salty.

VTek: RBI: 52 in his last 373 PAs and 103 in his last 798 PAs (146 in his last 1223)

Salty: RBI 115 in his last 834 PAs. Call this about even.

VTek blew Salty away on CERA, but he was not always great in this area until he was about 30-31 years old. VTek led the league in PBs at ages 27 and 28, and his CS% was about the same as Salty's with Boston.

I'm not trying to say Salty is or will be as good as Vtek in his prime. Comparing him to the 36-39 year old Vtek is not fair to either one of them, but since you brought it up, I thought I had to set the record straight in a few areas.

Salty's CERA greatly improved after 4/25/12. He compared very closely to Shoppach after that date. He killed Lava in pitcher by pitcher CERA numbers, but the sample sizes were very small.

Extending Salty would be a risk for sure, and I am not saying it's a slam dunk, but if he has a fine season, (and I think he will)  he will cost much more than he will if we extend him now.

Remember, I was all over trading him away last winter, but 2012 showede me a strong enough turn-around to be a believer. I do not see Lava ever approaching VTek's defense either, but from what I hear of Vazquez, he might make a good tandem with Salty over the next 2-4 years.

It won't upset me if Salty is not extended, but if we don't plan on keeping him around, then we should deal him before we get nothing in return.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Advantage Salty.

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

VTek: RBI: 52 in his last 373 PAs and 103 in his last 798 PAs (146 in his last 1223)

VTek blew Salty away on CERA, but he was not always great in this area until he was about 30-31 years old. VTek led the league in PBs at ages 27 and 28, and his CS% was about the same as Salty's with Boston.

I'm not trying to say Salty is or will be as good as Vtek in his prime. Comparing him to the 36-39 year old Vtek is not fair to either one of them, but since you brought it up, I thought I had to set the record straight in a few areas.

Salty's CERA greatly improved after 4/25/12. He compared very closely to Shoppach after that date. He killed Lava in pitcher by pitcher CERA numbers, but the sample sizes were very small.

Extending Salty would be a risk for sure, and I am not saying it's a slam dunk, but if he has a fine season, (and I think he will)  he will cost much more than he will if we extend him now.

Remember, I was all over trading him away last winter, but 2012 showede me a strong enough turn-around to be a believer. I do not see Lava ever approaching VTek's defense either, but from what I hear of Vazquez, he might make a good tandem with Salty over the next 2-4 years.

It won't upset me if Salty is not extended, but if we don't plan on keeping him around, then we should deal him before we get nothing in return.

If salty truly is making strides behind the plate, then it could be wise to sign him.  The offensive bar is set very low at that position (unless of course you think every catcher sould hit like Piazza). With that in mind, he may be easily tradeale over the next several years.  Depending on what you are willing to take from a back pmcatching bat Vazquez will be ready to take Saltys place in 2-3 years.  And depending on how long he takes to develop Swihart could be ready to take over full time catching duties in 2-4 years.  He may be more of a long lead player at that position, and could move off of it......but that also could be a plausible and optimal scenario.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Advantage Salty.

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

If salty truly is making strides behind the plate, then it could be wise to sign him.  The offensive bar is set very low at that position (unless of course you think every catcher sould hit like Piazza). With that in mind, he may be easily tradeale over the next several years.  Depending on what you are willing to take from a back pmcatching bat Vazquez will be ready to take Saltys place in 2-3 years.  And depending on how long he takes to develop Swihart could be ready to take over full time catching duties in 2-4 years.  He may be more of a long lead player at that position, and could move off of it......but that also could be a plausible and optimal scenario.

i would like us to get him extended..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Advantage Salty.

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

If he does do good Moon, how much do you think the market would dictate? Say he hits something like .240AVG .305 OBP .480SLG. 21 HR...Whats that worth you think?

Remember, although he would obviously cost more, I dont think he will be get double digits per year with those stats, which I think are close to what he will produce. That, and the Sox only have like 85M committed for 2014 (plus the possible 4M if Ortiz is on the DL for more than 20 days), so a bit of a raise for that production at the catcher position for 3-4 years wont strap the team in any way IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Advantage Salty.

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

If he does do good Moon, how much do you think the market would dictate? Say he hits something like .240AVG .305 OBP .480SLG. 21 HR...Whats that worth you think?

Remember, although he would obviously cost more, I dont think he will be get double digits per year with those stats, which I think are close to what he will produce. That, and the Sox only have like 85M committed for 2014 (plus the possible 4M if Ortiz is on the DL for more than 20 days), so a bit of a raise for that production at the catcher position for 3-4 years wont strap the team in any way IMO.

i think 3/15-21. 5-7 mil Per seems like a fair deal for both sides.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Advantage Salty.

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

See, thats what I was thinking so I dont think its a big deal to wait to see how he performs before talking extension. Its not like he could possibly command 10-12M per...More in the 6-8 range I would think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Advantage Salty.

.220/.313

.209/.313

.232/.293

.221/.300

Salty his last 2:

.235/.288

.222/.288

See, thats what I was thinking so I dont think its a big deal to wait to see how he performs before talking extension. Its not like he could possibly command 10-12M per...More in the 6-8 range I would think.

Hey, whatever works best for the teams future.  I like Salty but the bottom line is not over spending on a long term contract if you have kids like Lav and Vasquez under control and in the mix.  If Salty can raise his OBP this season enough to make his overall skill set an advantage by all means bring him back if the price is right.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's not really better than 2012, unless his defense and CERA related skills keep improving.

If he does all that, I think he might get $25M/3 as a FA next winter. If his defense stays the same, maybe $20M/3 or $25M/4.

I'd offer him an extension right now. I know it's risky, but he could be traded and partially paid for, if he never gets any better. I'd give him a $2M signing bonus plus $17M/3 or $22M/4. Good catchers are hard to find.

Here's what some catchers got this winter:

Russell Martin  $17M/2

Old Man AJ Pierzynski  $7.5M/1 (Talk about clubhouse wonders)

Back-up David Ross $6.2M/2

I'd say Salty is worth more than $6M/yr for 3 years, but it could be a mistake.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Salt will start out hitting homers and everyone will think he has finally arrived, that he has become the great player Theo Epstein envisioned.  After a couple of months making believers of everyone, he'll spend the next few months strking out more and more until it seems like that's all he ever does, throwing balls intended for infielders to outfielders, and allowing perfect throws home to somehow sail through his body to the backstop.  Please Ben, trade this mediocrity in the early going when he's looking good, and play Ross Lava Vasquez, all far better options. 

do you have any facts to back up your claims? especially ones about his defensive ability..

Just the evidence of my eyes from watching him in all the games for a couple of years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Salt will start out hitting homers and everyone will think he has finally arrived, that he has become the great player Theo Epstein envisioned.  After a couple of months making believers of everyone, he'll spend the next few months strking out more and more until it seems like that's all he ever does, throwing balls intended for infielders to outfielders, and allowing perfect throws home to somehow sail through his body to the backstop.  Please Ben, trade this mediocrity in the early going when he's looking good, and play Ross Lava Vasquez, all far better options. 

do you have any facts to back up your claims? especially ones about his defensive ability..

Just the evidence of my eyes from watching him in all the games for a couple of years.

well then you'll forgive me if i disagree..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

well then you'll forgive me if i disagree..

Nothing to forgive.  Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, absolutely.    Sometimes I'm wrong and sometimes I'm right.  When it's obvious that I'm wrong about someone, I admit it, say it out loud, "Boy, was I wrong about that guy!"  If I'm right, well, that's a nice change of pace. :)  Enjoy hearing everyone's point of view, and learn a lot on this forum.  Ignore the name-calling.  Hope Salt excels, just prefer one of the other guys as our main catcher.  Anyway, feeling more optimistic about the Sox now than I was this winter.  That may be delusional, but it's spring.  Love when the real games start, can't wait!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, spring is about here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

bump

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Salty's done been talked out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

at least until the season starts and we can start picking apart his defense :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm sure the first passed ball or SB will get a post from softy. He loves the 1 game sample size definitive judgements.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'm sure the first passed ball or SB will get a post from softy. He loves the 1 game sample size definitive judgements.

there will also be a thread started by Bill stating that Salty should be traded and Ryan "fisk" lavarnway should be brought up in his palce...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

there will also be a thread started by Bill stating that Salty should be traded and Ryan "fisk" lavarnway should be brought up in his palce...

Funny how we haven't heard from BILL on "Fisk" Lavarnway much recently.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Funny how we haven't heard from BILL on "Fisk" Lavarnway much recently.

and also didn't hear him talk about Iggy while he was slumping in the middle of ST. but as soon as he hit a triple the other day Bill is back on the bandwagon.

as soon as lava hits a HR in AAA we will hear all about him again...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Actually didn't he already start one of those the first week of ST?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm still not giving up on Lava, but I still think his best position will be DH. I'm wondering if him focusing so much on learning how to catch might derail him from becoming a success at his natural position.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'm still not giving up on Lava, but I still think his best position will be DH. I'm wondering if him focusing so much on learning how to catch might derail him from becoming a success at his natural position.

i've been wondering the same thing. look at his numbers when he was catching and DHing at the same time in 2011. Then in 2012 when he is made a FT catcher his offense suffered. I think he should be given a 1Bmans glove and work first base as well as DH. Him and Gomez could swap duties.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i've been wondering the same thing. look at his numbers when he was catching and DHing at the same time in 2011. Then in 2012 when he is made a FT catcher his offense suffered. I think he should be given a 1Bmans glove and work first base as well as DH. Him and Gomez could swap duties.

It might be worth a try, and it's always nice to have a player that can act as a capable emergency 3rd catcher, or who can be used as the 3rd catcher if you need to PH for both catchers during one game.