Re: Time to Bench Salty
posted at 5/28/2013 7:46 PM EDT
I dont think that Ross will perform as good as he can playing full time. I also dont think lavarnway is as good as Salty right now. Salty isnt going to bring a huge return anyway and I think his value to this team this year is greater than the return we would get. IMO, It most certainly would disrupt things. The catching position is doing good the way it is, why mess with it.
I wouldn't mess with it, unless I thought the gain we make elsewhere outweighs the loss here. Here are some factors to consider:
1) We will get nothing if Salty walks after this year.
2) Salty has a history of slumping badly after July.
3) Ross actually hits slightly better vs RHPs than LHPs over the last 3-4 years combined.
4) I do not consider a player who starts only vs RHPs a full-timer. I'd try and play Ross in most of the games vs RHPs and none vs LHPs: maybe 60% of the games after July 31st. That should not overtax him. It's not like his body is as bad as many catchers his age who played much more often.
5) Being on the big club may help Lava learn more about ML hitetrs, our staff as well as boost his confidence.
6) I happen to think Salty, especially if packaged with other players would net us a very nice return. I also think a packaged deal would solve some rule 5 issues we may have this winter (not really related to salty).
If were out of it then fine. Not sure what your getting antsy about. They are in a good position, now and for the future. You cant just get rid of someone just so you can get something. Thats not always the better decision.
I know this is just speaking in theory at this point in the year, but what I had in mind was that we could get a player that is under team control for more than 2013 in retrun for Salty. Even if the player is not as good, if the player is at a position of high need, the extra year(s) can outweigh what Salty gives us for 2 months- in it or not.
I think Lavarnway would be a better piece to trade and would bring back much more. With vasquez in the fold, lavarnway is nothing but a BU catcher/DH. I say trade the piece that will bring you a better return.
If we are trading to win a ring in 2013, I'd agree, but I see us looking more to 2014 and beyond, so trading our future DH is not what I have in mind, but Ben may see things differently.