Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In light of this big deal coming down, I think it makes it more likely that Salty is dealt this winter, since he's a FA after 2013.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty:
    [QUOTE]In light of this big deal coming down, I think it makes it more likely that Salty is dealt this winter, since he's a FA after 2013.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    You may be right if the part of the rebuilding is to give Lavarnway the job and to see how he progresses.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Then again, they may use Salty at 1B or Lava at DH when Papi walks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Do you think Papi walks or do you think, now that there a little extra $$ they sign him for 2yrs so he can retire in a sox uni? He can still rake and would be a good veteran presence in the clubhouse that will peobably have a lot of younger players now...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think Papi walks or do you think, now that there a little extra $$ they sign him for 2yrs so he can retire in a sox uni? He can still rake and would be a good veteran presence in the clubhouse that will peobably have a lot of younger players now...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Tough call.

1) He may not want to play here anyway.
    2) If we are looking at 2014 and beyond, then keeping Papi makes no sense unless we think he sells tickets or as a service for past deeds.
    3) If we try to make a run at 2013 by making some winter deals and signings, then keeping Papi for another year or two might happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would re-sign the big guy personally...Hes won 2 rings already and I truly believe with a couple more moves this winter we can be contenders in 2013-14...Go ahead and call me crazy, but i think they can do it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I would re-sign the big guy personally...Hes won 2 rings already and I truly believe with a couple more moves this winter we can be contenders in 2013-14...Go ahead and call me crazy, but i think they can do it...
    With all the paper scraps swirling around, Ortiz is one of the few who seems to have kept his balance. He has supported his manager and honored Pesky. His whining about contracts aside, when it comes to personal relations he has a knack for doing the right thing. 
    Until he stops hitting, he can still hit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Contrary to what some posters say, Papi's OPS has improved for 3 straight years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade Padilla on waivers if possible. Trade Ross as well. Stockpile prospects.

I'd use the rest of the season to gain knowledge on these players:

C Salty (test his endurance)
    DH/C Lava (see if he can hit and worry about his defense later)
    1B Gomez (can he be in the 2013 mix?)
    2B Pedey  (give Ciriaco a few games here)
    3B Ciriaco (give Aviles some time here to ready him for a '13 utility role.)
    SS Iggy (time to give him a 6 week look)
    LF Nava & Linares (September call-up)
    CF Ellsbury (Find his groove or prove he is still good to maybe trade him.)
    RF Pods & Linares or Kalish

SP Buchholtz (keep the groove)
    SP Lester (find the groove)
    SP Morales (can he be a quality starter?)
    SP Mortensen
    SP Tazawa or Stewart

CL Bailey
    RP Breslow
    RP Aceves
    RP Doubront (he's started enough and needs to limit his IP to 135ish)
    RP Miller
    RP Melancon
    RP Beato/Carpenter/Bard/Wilson

Maybe have a look at Bradley, Bogaerts, Brentz and Travis Shaw.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After Salty's single tonight, he is now 7 for his last 21 (.333) with 2 HRs.

Maybe the whole "endurance" issue might have to be re-examined soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think they deal Salty...I think they will go with a Lav/Salty combo, at least for one year to see if Salty's progression continues and to give Lav a bigger sample size in MLB to eveluate his progress...
    Papi and Ross should be re-signed for 2 yrs each and give Ross a 3rd yr option and maybe make Papi's 2nd year a vesting year based on games played...
    Salty goes deep again tonight...Letsjust hope he can get that OBP up by theend of the year and next year, if hes still in Boston...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he hits 25+ Hrs every year, I'm Ok with a .300 OBP going forward, as long as his defense keeps improving.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]If he hits 25+ Hrs every year, I'm Ok with a .300 OBP going forward, as long as his defense keeps improving.

Agree...Just need to see his OBP begin with a 3 instead of a 2...Ill take that and 25 dingers at the bottom half of the line-up...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

These guys are playiong some good ball against a good Angels team tonight...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That was a nice reaction by Lav on Hunters bunt attempt...This catcher situation is def going to get interesting. Personally, Id love to have to possibility of 40+HR from both sides of the plate from the catchers position and solid D.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]That was a nice reaction by Lav on Hunters bunt attempt...This catcher situation is def going to get interesting. Personally, Id love to have to possibility of 40+HR from both sides of the plate from the catchers position and solid D.

I'm not sure about "solid D" from Lava by 2013, but I like the 40 HR part.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : I'm not sure about "solid D" from Lava by 2013, but I like the 40 HR part.
    Do you mean, probably, 25 from Salty and 15 from Lava? Or some other breakdown.
    In any case, let's hold off until we know that both will be with the club.
    Lava made a great play on the bunt, but he still has a ways to go on defense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : Do you mean, probably, 25 from Salty and 15 from Lava? Or some other breakdown. In any case, let's hold off until we know that both will be with the club. Lava made a great play on the bunt, but he still has a ways to go on defense. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Agreed. By saying "I like the 40 HR part", I wasn't saying I expect it just yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think Lavarnway has to actually get some basehits first. On Salty, instead of trying to deal him, how bout putting faith in him. Obviously, some guys in the FO have done that. For all my venom toward BV, I do think he is a Salty fan too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I think Lavarnway has to actually get some basehits first. On Salty, instead of trying to deal him, how bout putting faith in him. Obviously, some guys in the FO have done that. For all my venom toward BV, I do think he is a Salty fan too.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    I think that Salty is BV's kind of player. He's rock solid personally among other things. He seems to have a touch with his pitchers. He must work very hard to have improved to the point where he is a good defensive catcher. And he's always dangerous at the plate. A little more discipline -- which I've noticed recently -- and he'd be even more dangerous. 
    Not that it's strictly relevant, but kudos to the man for attending Pesky's funeral. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think the pressure came off of him when Shoppach left. You almost get the feeling Kelly probably let everyone know he should be catching more than this youngster, and who knows, maybe Salty put pressure on himself to hit HRs during his slump. One Shoppach was gone, Salty relaxed at the plate. Or at least it appears that way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Salty's hard to figure, but last night he did look comfortable at the plate and against Weaver the Great One.  Huge dinger in the 2d because the Sox were already down 2 against a guy who mowed them down last time.  Then Salty got another big single in the 4th inning rally that should have won the game.

Jury's still out in my mind.  But you can see why he gets to play. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Almost every Salty HR has been one that keeps the Sox in a game, ahead, tied, or was important at the time of the dinger. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Almost every Salty HR has been one that keeps the Sox in a game, ahead, tied, or was important at the time of the dinger. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

This is an often ignored fact, danny. He really has seemed to be the guy that gets to a tough pitcher when everyone else is having a hard time scratching out even a base hit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Time to Bench Salty:

I think the pressure came off of him when Shoppach left. You almost get the feeling Kelly probably let everyone know he should be catching more than this youngster, and who knows, maybe Salty put pressure on himself to hiit HRs during his slump. One Shoppach was gone, Salty relaxed at the plate. Or at least it appears that way.

Or, he just had a long slump.