Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

bump beyond smelly

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Thanks for the legwork. I didn't mean to imply anything with my list, but just wanted to show that the variables are different. I am certain Shppach has a better arm than Salty.

I am in complete agreement with you about what is most important in a catcher's defense.  While it would obviously be nice to have a catcher who can gun down baserunners, in the overall scheme of a catcher's defense, CS% ranks near the bottom.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I doubt VTek could have added 3mph to Beckett's fastball.
    I doubt he could have helped Bard and Aceves in their new roles, although he had an excellent history with both.
    I am certain he'd have done better than Salty, and perhaps much better, but my whole point has been that Salty has improved from pre-April 25 to post April 25.

I see a 27 year old catcher improving with the staff, imroving greatly on reducing PBs and WPs, and improving on his OPS, and then I see fans saying it is time to pull the plug.

No, Varitek could not have added 3 mph to Beckett's fastball, but I do think he could have helped Beckett adjust to the loss of that velocity.  I also think he could have helped Bard and Aceves adjust to their new roles.   Varitek had the ability to get more out of his pitchers than other catchers did.  He knew the pitchers better than they sometimes knew themselves.  I'm not saying the improvement would have made a difference in our season, just that the staff and Salty would have been better with him on the team.

FTR, I have never once asked for Salty to be replaced this season (although I did at the beginning of last season).  I agree, he is improving, and I agree, he deserves a chance to continue in his development.  I have also never complained about his offense being an issue, although it would be nice to see an improvement in OBP.   I actually like the guy.

The only disagreements I've had in this thread is with the claims  that Salty is a good or above average defensive catcher, and with the disregarding of the defensive stats that don't support those opinions.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I doubt VTek could have added 3mph to Beckett's fastball.
    I doubt he could have helped Bard and Aceves in their new roles, although he had an excellent history with both.
    I am certain he'd have done better than Salty, and perhaps much better, but my whole point has been that Salty has improved from pre-April 25 to post April 25.

I see a 27 year old catcher improving with the staff, imroving greatly on reducing PBs and WPs, and improving on his OPS, and then I see fans saying it is time to pull the plug.

No, Varitek could not have added 3 mph to Beckett's fastball, but I do think he could have helped Beckett adjust to the loss of that velocity.  I also think he could have helped Bard and Aceves adjust to their new roles.   Varitek had the ability to get more out of his pitchers than other catchers did.  He knew the pitchers better than they sometimes knew themselves.  I'm not saying the improvement would have made a difference in our season, just that the staff and Salty would have been better with him on the team.

FTR, I have never once asked for Salty to be replaced this season (although I did at the beginning of last season).  I agree, he is improving, and I agree, he deserves a chance to continue in his development.  I have also never complained about his offense being an issue, although it would be nice to see an improvement in OBP.   I actually like the guy.

The only disagreements I've had in this thread is with the claims  that Salty is a good or above average defensive catcher, and with the disregarding of the defensive stats that don't support those opinions.    

I was for Lava as the starter this past winter and into April, but my views changed when Salty turned around his game and started improving right before my eyes (with a gentle nudge from ex).

I agree with everything you said here, except that I'm not sure I've seen anybody say unequivicably that Salty is "above average" on defense at this point. I have said that some of the major numbers show he has been about average since April 25th, but I know he has a ways to go. The main point is that, as you said, he is improving, and we shouldn't interrupt that until we know just how good he can and will get.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

oh for three, waiting for the ax posts to start up again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good to see Lava get a couple walks.  Wait for the right picth Ryan.

I don't blame Lava or any catcher for what happens when Dice-K is on the mound.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lavarnway should really finish the year with a higher OBP than Salty, even though he is still way behind. It's not a very high bar to reach but Lavarnway has certainly not been helping his cause since the call up. Historically though he has been a solid OBP guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

No they don't, and in a perfect world they wouldn't, but this team has so many weaknesses going forward, and there are 15-20 teams looking to upgrade at the catcher position. Since we have 2 that many teams would want at least one of them, I think we will trade Salty, get a good vet back-up on a 1-2 year deal, and hope Lava is ready for the 2014 push.

If we get a good vet BU and trade salty, then whos going to be the starting catcher? Not lavarnway, hes not ready...And why waste his time as a BU in MLB when he could use that time to develop more in AAA? If Lavarnway finishes the year the way hes playing right now, he should probably get another year in AAA (probably should anyway) to get the time behind the plate that he obviously needs. Also, if salty keeps improving like myself, you, and ex believe he could, then his value will go up for a possible deadline trade or to give him an extension to stay in Boston. My whole point about keeping both of them for 2013 is it will give this team a better idea what they have going forward.
    I just dont trust Lav behind the plate in Boston in 2013. Hes NOT ready. I still believe he can be a good catcher, despite what the scouts say, hes just not ready yet and his value is low right now due to his poor performance since his call-up. Im sure GM's would want to see more out of Lav as a catcher before giving up anything worth of value, especially consideringthat scouts see him as a BU catcher/DH type ala Jesus Montero...IMO it would be best to just get a solid RHH low-cost BU catcher for 2013, go with salty for 2013 and let Ryan develop more in Pawtucket. We have a number of prospects that we could use in a trade. It just doesnt make sense to me to give up on either one of these guys yet when weve seen one improve greatly since the end of April and the other has given no reason for me to believe he can handle the starting cathers job at the MLB level in 2013.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

No they don't, and in a perfect world they wouldn't, but this team has so many weaknesses going forward, and there are 15-20 teams looking to upgrade at the catcher position. Since we have 2 that many teams would want at least one of them, I think we will trade Salty, get a good vet back-up on a 1-2 year deal, and hope Lava is ready for the 2014 push.

If we get a good vet BU and trade salty, then whos going to be the starting catcher? Not lavarnway, hes not ready...And why waste his time as a BU in MLB when he could use that time to develop more in AAA? If Lavarnway finishes the year the way hes playing right now, he should probably get another year in AAA (probably should anyway) to get the time behind the plate that he obviously needs. Also, if salty keeps improving like myself, you, and ex believe he could, then his value will go up for a possible deadline trade or to give him an extension to stay in Boston. My whole point about keeping both of them for 2013 is it will give this team a better idea what they have going forward.

Because Salty will be a FA after 2013, a year where we will not seriously compete. If Salty has a great 2013 season, we still would have to sign him as a FA. We could sign him after he has a great year with another team in 2013 as well.

If we do trade Salty, thgen it would only be to hand the FT catcher job to Lava. Ready or not. Since 2013 will likely not be a ring year, they can afford to absorb some learning curve negative results as Lava learns or doesn't.

It's not an ideal situation, but unless Papi walks and opens up the DH role for Lava, I don't see us keeping 2 desirable catchers on a roster with big gaps at other positions.

I just dont trust Lav behind the plate in Boston in 2013. Hes NOT ready.

I agree, and if we were going to compete, I'd keep Lava in AAA for most of 2013, or make him the DH vs RHPs and C vs LHPs if Papi walks.

I still believe he can be a good catcher, despite what the scouts say, hes just not ready yet and his value is low right now due to his poor performance since his call-up.

I don't think a player's value rises or sinks that much over this short a sample size. Teams still would like Lava on their team. Take a look at what 10-15 teams have for a catcher right now. I'd say there is also a chance we trade Lava, keep Salty and try to extend him before he walks.

It's great to have 2 catchers with so much potential. I can see the point of keeping both. It is an important position- too important to risk choosing the wrong one and having him fail while the other floiurishes elswhere.

Im sure GM's would want to see more out of Lav as a catcher before giving up anything worth of value, especially consideringthat scouts see him as a BU catcher/DH type ala Jesus Montero...

The Yanks got a nice return for their DH/BU-C. I think Lava as part of a package of prospects or with Aviles, Sweeney and/or Atchison could net us a quality player with a surer ML future.

IMO it would be best to just get a solid RHH low-cost BU catcher for 2013, go with salty for 2013 and let Ryan develop more in Pawtucket. We have a number of prospects that we could use in a trade. It just doesnt make sense to me to give up on either one of these guys yet when weve seen one improve greatly since the end of April and the other has given no reason for me to believe he can handle the starting cathers job at the MLB level in 2013.

Certainly I position of high merit.  And, since we are no hurry to win in 2013, waiting another year has some reason, however, I keep looking at Salty's impending free agency and think, why not trade him for a player with longer team control to bolster our roster for 2014 and beyond. We can always sign Salty as a FA before 2014 anyways and keep the player or prospect  we get for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Because Salty will be a FA after 2013, a year where we will not seriously compete. If Salty has a great 2013 season, we still would have to sign him as a FA. We could sign him after he has a great year with another team in 2013 as well.

If we do trade Salty, thgen it would only be to hand the FT catcher job to Lava. Ready or not. Since 2013 will likely not be a ring year, they can afford to absorb some learning curve negative results as Lava learns or doesn't.

It's not an ideal situation, but unless Papi walks and opens up the DH role for Lava, I don't see us keeping 2 desirable catchers on a roster with big gaps at other positions.

I agree, and if we were going to compete, I'd keep Lava in AAA for most of 2013, or make him the DH vs RHPs and C vs LHPs if Papi walks.

I still believe he can be a good catcher, despite what the scouts say, hes just not ready yet and his value is low right now due to his poor performance since his call-up.

I don't think a player's value rises or sinks that much over this short a sample size. Teams still would like Lava on their team. Take a look at what 10-15 teams have for a catcher right now. I'd say there is also a chance we trade Lava, keep Salty and try to extend him before he walks.

It's great to have 2 catchers with so much potential. I can see the point of keeping both. It is an important position- too important to risk choosing the wrong one and having him fail while the other floiurishes elswhere.

Im sure GM's would want to see more out of Lav as a catcher before giving up anything worth of value, especially consideringthat scouts see him as a BU catcher/DH type ala Jesus Montero...

The Yanks got a nice return for their DH/BU-C. I think Lava as part of a package of prospects or with Aviles, Sweeney and/or Atchison could net us a quality player with a surer ML future.

IMO it would be best to just get a solid RHH low-cost BU catcher for 2013, go with salty for 2013 and let Ryan develop more in Pawtucket. We have a number of prospects that we could use in a trade. It just doesnt make sense to me to give up on either one of these guys yet when weve seen one improve greatly since the end of April and the other has given no reason for me to believe he can handle the starting cathers job at the MLB level in 2013.

Certainly I position of high merit.  And, since we are no hurry to win in 2013, waiting another year has some reason, however, I keep looking at Salty's impending free agency and think, why not trade him for a player with longer team control to bolster our roster for 2014 and beyond. We can always sign Salty as a FA before 2014 anyways and keep the player or prospect  we get for him.

All very good points you make Moon. Its a tough, but good situation to be in. As Ive always said, If the trade makes sense and is going to, without question, make this team better then Im all for it. Its def going to be one of the most eventful winters that the Sox and us fans will go through this year. Im sure there will be a few surprises...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

All very good points you make Moon. Its a tough, but good situation to be in. As Ive always said, If the trade makes sense and is going to, without question, make this team better then Im all for it. Its def going to be one of the most eventful winters that the Sox and us fans will go through this year. Im sure there will be a few surprises...

It should be a very interesting winter indeed.

I'm not sure about setting a standard of "...
    If the trade makes sense and is going to, without question, make this team better then Im all for it ..." is all that realistic. It is more likely that we trade one question mark for another equal player, but from another position or a lesser player but with longer team control.  My guess is that Salty or Lava will be traded (my money's on Salty) as part of a larger package to get a higher quality player under team control beyond 2013 and hopefully beyond 2014 as well.

Here's how I look at it: there are several contending teams with a very bad catching situation. They could improve by getting either Salty or Lava, yes, even a Lava that may not be fully ready for MLB catching. Here are the worst catcher by WAR teams in MLb right now:
    1) NYM
    2) Cubs
    3) TBR
    4) OAK
    5) PITT
    6) COL
    7) TEX
    8) HOU
    9) SD
    10) WSH
    11) NYY
    13) LAA
    16) SEA

As you can see, many of these teams might trade nice prospects for a package of some of these players who will be FAs after 2013 or too old to count on for 2014 and beyond:

Ellsbury, Salty, Aviles (FA after 2014), Sweeney, Breslow, Atchison, Hill, and even perhaps Aceves who seems to be wearing out his welcome here very quickly.

None of these guys are in our plans for 2014, unless we extend them soon, so we could look to deal most or all of them to set ourselves up better for 2014 and beyond.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lavarnway has had a tough year so far in MLB but that is not at all unusual for rookies. Look at Pedroia and many others. Look at Middlebrook's numbers when he was first brought up to AAA ball last year ( .161 in 56 AB ). Guys have such issues quite often and go on to be solid players.

Lavarnway has performed at the AAA level with almost 550 AB now, a .295 average with 26 HR and he was the defensive catcher choice in the International League as chosen by the managers. I'm giving him a long rope before sending him back down. And now is the perfect time to do it. I'd play him almost every game for the remainder of the year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boom, just curious, if Lava hits .200 the rest of the way, does it change anything?

(It doesn't to me.)

Is anything learned?

Or is it just to get his feet wet?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lava should at least be showing signs of his AAA offensive numbers (of 2011) before the end of the season. I give the kid a long rope too, just as I do most prospects when they first arrive in MLB. I hope he can also show why he got defensive catcher of the year before the end of the year too.
    Moon,
    when you said
    It is more likely that we trade one question mark for another equal player, but from another position or a lesser player but with longer team control.

Thats also what I meant by making us better. If were not going to resign these guys, we try and get something that will be part of the future. That is also improvement in my eyes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I'd rather have him bat .200 now than .200 all summer next year. He needs to be here now to "get his feet wet."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

boom, just curious, if Lava hits .200 the rest of the way, does it change anything?

(It doesn't to me.)

Is anything learned?

I think the sample size and performance so far are significant, just not definitive. I'm not digging the performance at all yet, from the numbers. I haven't seen more than parts of 2-3 games in the past month. I'm disapointed so far but I really do have faith that Lavarnway makes the adjustments needed and he has been somewhat streaky in his career. The bottom line is he was a top hitter in college and at every single level in the minors. I still have faith he turns this around. He has had more contact than his average has shown and he is walking some but the off speed stuff is killing him. He is not going to get a lot of mistake pitches to hit or see a lot of fastballs. He is in a new world now. From what little I've seen he is going to have to take the ball more up the middle and to RF. I think he can do that when he tries to do that. He also has been known to go on a tear sometimes. It also has been a long year for him with catching more games than ever. He, like Salty and Tek and many others may just really falter by year end. I don't think we are seeing his best by any means.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

(It doesn't to me.)

Is anything learned?

I think the sample size and performance so far are significant, just not definitive. I'm not digging the performance at all yet, from the numbers. I haven't seen more than parts of 2-3 games in the past month. I'm disapointed so far but I really do have faith that Lavarnway makes the adjustments needed and he has been somewhat streaky in his career. The bottom line is he was a top hitter in college and at every single level in the minors. I still have faith he turns this around. He has had more contact than his average has shown and he is walking some but the off speed stuff is killing him. He is not going to get a lot of mistake pitches to hit or see a lot of fastballs. He is in a new world now. From what little I've seen he is going to have to take the ball more up the middle and to RF. I think he can do that when he tries to do that. He also has been known to go on a tear sometimes. It also has been a long year for him with catching more games than ever. He, like Salty and Tek and many others may just really falter by year end. I don't think we are seeing his best by any means.

I totally agree, but my question remains unanswered. If we play Lava FT the rest of the way, what will we learn. and what good will it do him?

My position has been that no matter hw well or poorly he does, we learn very little, because it is a small sample size, and because he is in unchartered territory with the longest catching season of hs career. Maybe it might help him build endurance, and that, to me, might be the only real plus.

Conversely, what can we learn if Salty plays FT the rest of the way (and LAva DHs)? A lot more, in my opinion. His stamina issue is still unresolved. His team control is just 1.1 years now, and we need know as much as possible about him before we decide to keep him, extend him, trade him, or whatever. The issue of urgency has changed now that we are out of it, and to me, putting off the Lava decision make more sense than deciding that "we know who Salty is: he is what he is" position.

I'd still play Salty vs all RHPs, Lava vs all LHPs and DH Lava vs RHP. It won't burn out Lava, and if Salty has a resurrgence with the bat, maybe we can know a little more about his endurance questions. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump past the idiot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Salty could be a great player if he only played 85-90 games instead of 100+.

Maybe if he wasn't worn out by being a catcher, could he be a great HR hitter as a DH or 1Bman?

Here's how Salty has done after a day off:

1-3 2B

1-4 HR

0-3

2-4 HR

1-4

0-3

1-4

0-1

1-3 2B (BB)

2-4 2B

0-2 (2BB) Had played 8 straight days before 2 days off.

2-4 HR

3-4 HR

0-4

0-4

2-4 HR (BB)

0-4

1-3 (BB)

0-3 (BB)

1-5 HR (3 RBI vs Yanks)

1-3 (BB) after All Star break

0-1

1-4 HR

0-2 (2BB)

1-3 BB

1-4

0-3

1-4

1-3

1-2 HR (2BB)

2-5

0-3

0-3 (BB)

0-4

0-3

3-3 (HR, 3B)

Total 30- 120 .250 

9 HRs  in 120 ABs

He has 16 HRs in 238 ABs in games without the day before off.

50 for 238 or .210

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It looks to me as if both are worn down from a long year. The best thing Boston could do for the TEAM is platoon these guys and then we could possibly see 40-50 HR from the catchers position. Salty had a brilliant night tonight. Not very good judgement on the Nava shot to center, but still scored eventually. It was funny to see Nava look over at 3rd base after the hit and much to his surprise see Salty sitting there...You could see him mouth the word "Wow".

Bottom line, I think this move will be best for the team in 2013 and after that you can go with the one you want. Or possibly keep the platoon if it works out good...But for 2013, this is what I would do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bottom line, I think this move will be best for the team in 2013 and after that you can go with the one you want. Or possibly keep the platoon if it works out good...But for 2013, this is what I would do.

Salty can become a FA after 2013, if he chooses. This is the main reason I wanted him to play pretty much FT (sit vs LHPs) all season, so we could get a better gauge on his durabiltiy/stamina issue or question. Of course, 2 seasons do not prove anything substantially, but it does appear that Salty may need to sit a few games here and there vs RHPs as well, unless he can work on his conditioning and become a 110+ game catcher.

If Salty has a better 2013 season in most areas of his game, he might command a pretty hefty raise. 

As for 2013, as I have mentioned before, if Papi walks, there is room for Salty and Lava to both get plenty of PAs as catchers & DHs, maybe sharing the DH slot with Gomez, Sands, Nava, or an outside acquisition (1B or LF).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty is now 12th out of 30 in catcher OPS at .773.

He's 8th out of catchers with 390+ PAs.

Only 3 catchers have more PAs and a higher SLG% (.480): Posey, AJ P and Y Molina.

Only 1 has more HRs (24): AJ P at 26 in 67 more PAs.

Only 7 teams have a higher catcher OPS than Salty.

Only 3 teams have a higher catcher SLG% than Salty.

7 teams have a worse catcher OBP than Salty's .293.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like hes doing pretty good as far as the rest of the league goes...Tek has said good things about him and also Tuck. work ethic, baseball smarts, willingness too learn, and we have seen that big defensive improvement this year. Although some would rather stick to  career numbers than the numbers hes put up since the end of April.

Salty and Lav will both need to work on their stamina. If Salty can get that OBP around .320 next year, I re-sign him. I still think that you have a Salty/Lav combo even if Papi stays another year. We have 2 solid catchers from either side of the plate. No need to trade them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like hes doing pretty good as far as the rest of the league goes...Tek has said good things about him and also Tuck. work ethic, baseball smarts, willingness too learn, and we have seen that big defensive improvement this year. Although some would rather stick to  career numbers than the numbers hes put up since the end of April.

Salty and Lav will both need to work on their stamina. If Salty can get that OBP around .320 next year, I re-sign him. I still think that you have a Salty/Lav combo even if Papi stays another year. We have 2 solid catchers from either side of the plate. No need to trade them.

The problem is that with Papi on the team, neither will "work on their stamina", since Lava may be lucky to start 60 games, and Salty will likely stick to the RH'd starter only starts.

I'm Ok with a Salty-Lava tandem, but think Lava would be better served starting 100 games in AAA and MLB in Sept. Maybe Lava can DH a few games, but it would be hard to sit Papi vs RHPs so Lava could DH instead.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The problem is that with Papi on the team, neither will "work on their stamina", since Lava may be lucky to start 60 games, and Salty will likely stick to the RH'd starter only starts.

I'm Ok with a Salty-Lava tandem, but think Lava would be better served starting 100 games in AAA and MLB in Sept. Maybe Lava can DH a few games, but it would be hard to sit Papi vs RHPs so Lava could DH instead.

Another possibility I mentioned in an earlier post...I would be OK with Lav in AAA for 2013. We NEED to see what Salty can give us right now as this will be his last year of arb, and Im sure getting a RHH BU catcher shouldnt be an issue.

Sections
Shortcuts