Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that he is a year removed and there is no chance that he will want to return as a player, why not hire Varitek to coach Lavarnway? I would do it immediately after the season ends and have them work together all winter. One area where Varitek excelled was in preparing for games, knowing the opposing batters. I still think that Lavarnway will hit in the bigs.

[/QUOTE]

Remy thinks Lavarnway has been so focused on his defense to prove and improve, it's taken away from his offense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always thought VTek might make a good pitching coach as well, but he could certainly help our young catchers instead or as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Time to Bench Lavarnway....oh sorry, wrong thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not Lava's bat that is worrying me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that he is a year removed and there is no chance that he will want to return as a player, why not hire Varitek to coach Lavarnway? I would do it immediately after the season ends and have them work together all winter. One area where Varitek excelled was in preparing for games, knowing the opposing batters. I still think that Lavarnway will hit in the bigs.

[/QUOTE]

Remy thinks Lavarnway has been so focused on his defense to prove and improve, it's taken away from his offense.

[/QUOTE]

Ive been saying this for the last month. I said it about Salty too.

As I said before about Salty, I think this offseason is more about batting approach with him since hes been so focused on improving his defense, working with the pitchers, and came-calling, which he has. If he does put it all together we/he  could realize next year the potential all the scouts were seeing when he was 20yrs old.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a bit concerning that if Lava has been concentrating on his defense and has been looking like this, he needs to concentrate and work a bit harder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Last 30 days- out of all 33 catchers with 50+ innings caught:

WAR fielding value from fangraphs:

#13 Shoppach  0

#17 Salty        -0.1

#31 Kottaras  -1.2

#32 Lava        -1.5

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lava is now quickly approaching the same number of PAs for the Sox as Shoppach had.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like Lava is the FT catcher now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

They could just be giving Lava a lot of looks Moon. I'm still confident he makes the adjustments and produces next year but given existing numbers we have to go with Salty still don't you think. Especially as primarily a LH hitter. 

I'm certainly hopeful Lavarnway finishes strong and has a good spring training next year. You know he gets my vote.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Probably the best assessment I've seen regarding Lavarnway's current situation is here:

http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/9/18/3348622/ryan-lavarnway-a-september-failure?ref=fangraphs

If a few of those flyballs start reaching or going over the wall we have something. Maybe he is overswinging?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

They could just be giving Lava a lot of looks Moon. I'm still confident he makes the adjustments and produces next year but given existing numbers we have to go with Salty still don't you think. Especially as primarily a LH hitter. 

I'm sure you are right.

I'm certainly hopeful Lavarnway finishes strong and has a good spring training next year. You know he gets my vote.

It would help his confidence to finish strong.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I kind of like Salty , but I have to say that I do have a problem with the strikeouts.  To a somewhat lesser extent , I would say the same about Cody Ross. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've never been one to care much about how a batter makes his outs. It's his OBP that troubles me the most, but for a catcher, it's not as bad as it looks, and his SLG% makes up for a lot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've never been one to care much about how a batter makes his outs. It's his OBP that troubles me the most, but for a catcher, it's not as bad as it looks, and his SLG% makes up for a lot.

[/QUOTE]

If you put the ball in play , anything can happen.  Nothing good can happen with a strikeout.   To say that you don't care how a batter makes his outs makes no sense. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

If you put the ball in play , anything can happen.  Nothing good can happen with a strikeout.   To say that you don't care how a batter makes his outs makes no sense. 

As long as a guy gets on base and/or hits for power enough to offset a poor OBP, I really don't care if he strikes out 300 times. Yes, if you put the ball in play, you have a better chance of something good happening, but as long as enough good happens when you do make contact, K's don't bother me in the least. At least they aren't DPs.

Moving the runners over is a great thing, but realistically, how many times does a high contact hitter with the same BA and OBP as a low contact hitter actually do that more in a season? Then, how many times does that actually lead to a run that means anything? I'm not trying to belittle the value, but I think it is sometimes overblown.

Another thing to consider is the amount of pitches Salty forces the opps to make. He helps wear down the starter and get the weaker middle relief guys in sooner....

Of our top 6 PA guys, here are the pitches per PA:

Ross  4.16

Salty  4.01

Pedey 3.98

Ortiz  3.94

AGon  3.65

Aviles 3.61

Surely there is some value here to offset not moving runners over as often as other players, right?

His ball in play% is 6% lower than the league average, so over 427 PAs so far this year, thats about 25 less balls put in play as compared to the average ML player. I bet if you compare that to the average ML catcher, it would not be that much.

He leads the team in extra base hite per hit %, so when he does get a hit, it is more often a good one.

He's 3rd in extra base hit%.

He's last in GB/FB, so even if he did put the ball in play more often, they'd likely be pop ups or fly outs that rarely move runners over.

Sorry, but I think my position makes a lot of sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Update: Salty's .756 OPS is better than the team catcher OPS of 25 MLB teams and is .002 from it being 26 teams.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Update: Salty's .756 OPS is better than the team catcher OPS of 25 MLB teams and is .002 from it being 26 teams.

I like a platoon of Salty and Lavarnaway just fine for next year. We could be getting the best production in baseball out of the C position with those guys. Plus if Salty's still with the team it would give me a chance to drag out this on game threads.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

“This is really my second full year of playing,” Saltalamacchia said. “I feel like I’m going to get better. I think I can hit for a better average, especially in RBI situations.

“With everything that has gone on, I’ve been more worried about the pitching and catching aspect of it than the hitting. I really had to focus on the catching.”

Saltalamacchia started 32 more games behind the plate than Jason Varitek in 2011. But Varitek’s retirement before this season changed the dynamics of how the Red Sox prepared their pitchers for games.

Varitek kept detailed records of opposing hitters and had a big influence on strategy. With Varitek gone, Saltalamacchia and the starting pitchers had to take a more active role in developing game plans.

At the same time, the Sox were getting adjusted to their third pitching coach in three years in Bob McClure, who took a largely hands-off approach. When McClure was fired in August, Randy Niemann took over.

The Sox have gone through 25 pitchers this season and used nine starters.

“Strenuous, to say the least,” Valentine said. “He’s put in all the extra work pregame. He works trying to get to know the idiosyncrasies of the pitchers. It’s a challenge. But I think he’s met the challenge more often than not.”

Said Saltalamacchia: “It has been tough. You have guys who are struggling and you try and figure it out for them and you want to keep the guys who are going well on track. There are a lot of nights I lay my head down and I can’t sleep because I’m thinking about it. It’s always something different.”

The challenge lately has been getting used to decreased playing time. With the Sox out of contention, the front office took the opportunity to see more of Lavarnway, a 25-year-old organizational favorite. He has started 33 of the last 49 games including 10 of the last 15.

“It’s not hard to get used to it,” Saltalamacchia said. “I understand it. It’s more difficult to get on the field and perform. Going back to catching once or twice a week is hard and I’m not a big fan of being the DH. But at least they want my bat in the lineup.”

Saltalamacchia is arbitration eligible for a second year. After making $2.5 million this season, he remains economical and provides better production than most catchers.

“I think his defense is fine. On par with the league, he’s fine,” Valentine said. “There are a lot of stolen bases on this team that Johnny Bench isn’t doing anything about.”

Saltalamacchia could return as the primary catcher, split time with Lavarnway, or be used as a trade chip. His hope is to return. -Globe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I read that article. he knows what he has to do and I believe he can do it. Im pulling for him to succeed here in Boston and be our catcher for many years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I read that article. he knows what he has to do and I believe he can do it. Im pulling for him to succeed here in Boston and be our catcher for many years.

[/QUOTE]

I hope he meant what he said about wanting to stay in Boston, because if he has a better 2013, he will be worth a lot on the FA market,

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope he meant what he said about wanting to stay in Boston, because if he has a better 2013, he will be worth a lot on the FA market,

[/QUOTE]

He seems very appreciative for how the sox treated him, unlike Atlanta and Texas. They gave him the proper guidance and coaching he needed and also trusted him with the keys to the starting catching position. I honestly dont think he would try and break the bank if he did re-sign. obviously he would be paid well, but wouldnt try and bleed every last cent like Ells would do. As long as the Sox offer him a fair deal, I think he would take it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He seems very appreciative for how the sox treated him, unlike Atlanta and Texas. They gave him the proper guidance and coaching he needed and also trusted him with the keys to the starting catching position. I honestly dont think he would try and break the bank if he did re-sign. obviously he would be paid well, but wouldnt try and bleed every last cent like Ells would do. As long as the Sox offer him a fair deal, I think he would take it.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say. Even the loyalist of players jump at an extra million.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Salty's next FA contract will be by far his biggest. When you have an opportunity to cash in in baseball you do it. Ortiz was an exception. Virtually none of these guys do team friendly deals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Never know. Pedey could have, and didnt...maybe he looks at 30-40mm over 4-5 years and says the same thing... "What can i do with 100mm that I cant do with 40mm?" Like Pedey said. We'll see...