Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

Longoria could have too...Lots of guys could, but would rather not be greedy and know that their families are now set up for life. 30mm its a boatload of cash...If they choose to go through the arb process and they get injured , It could be all over.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never know. Pedey could have, and didnt...maybe he looks at 30-40mm over 4-5 years and says the same thing... "What can i do with 100mm that I cant do with 40mm?" Like Pedey said. We'll see...

[/QUOTE]

It's different when a player signs before his arb years are over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to see Lava end the season with a couple big games. I think he may need a confidence boost for the winter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Never know. Pedey could have, and didnt...maybe he looks at 30-40mm over 4-5 years and says the same thing... "What can i do with 100mm that I cant do with 40mm?" Like Pedey said. We'll see...

[/QUOTE]

It's different when a player signs before his arb years are over.

[/QUOTE]

True, but those guys also signed past their arb years...Couldve done what Ells is doing and made more $$ during their arb years and cashed in in their 1st year of FA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd like to see Lava end the season with a couple big games. I think he may need a confidence boost for the winter.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so too Moon...Working on defense, like I suggested a few weeks back, has def taken away from his offense...That, and playing the most games behind the plate this year than he has his whole career...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

True, but those guys also signed past their arb years...Couldve done what Ells is doing and made more $$ during their arb years and cashed in in their 1st year of FA.

Perhaps, but early in their careers the future is not so sure. Signing early give security and sometimes a little more money up front and less on the back-end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope so too Moon...Working on defense, like I suggested a few weeks back, has def taken away from his offense...That, and playing the most games behind the plate this year than he has his whole career...

[/QUOTE]

When you figure he was not even catching his first years at Yale, needing a little more time should not be held against him.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When you figure he was not even catching his first years at Yale, needing a little more time should not be held against him.

[/QUOTE]

Of course not...I would expect around age 27, similar to salty, he could start to put it all together...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course not...I would expect around age 27, similar to salty, he could start to put it all together...

[/QUOTE]

Remember, it took VTek until 29-31 to get it "all together".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Here is what the Sox have to instill confidence that the team will be a playoff contender next year:

1. Felix Doubront, Jon Lester, and Clay Buchholz, Andrew Bailey

2. Dustin Pedroia.

3. Signing Ortiz to an overpaid contract, not knowing if he can be healthy for longer

than 110 games

4. Jacoby Ellsbury, which one do we get? The Superstar of 2011, or the 2010/2012 I'm too injured to do anything version

5. Cody Ross, Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Both good MLB players, both only good at platooning because neither can play more than 120 games without it having some effect on their performance.

6.  Will Middlebrooks--a guy who must show he can return from wrist injury and perform to Kevin Youkilis type numbers.

7. Shortstop, LeftField, First Base, Bullpen, Starting Rotation

8. Manager

This team is so far away from becoming a contender, has so many holes that the idea of winning is the furthest thing from even the CEO's long-term plan. A lousy team with a lot of lousy players, no superstars other than Pedroia who is not the same hitter of previous years, and a lot of spin doctoring by the organization bought by so many gullible fans, who still think Valentine was a good manager, and that the kids will eventually bring the Sox back to a WS....Pathetic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

James Loney, the poster child for why first base and production really are important.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This team is so far away from becoming a contender, has so many holes that the idea of winning is the furthest thing from even the CEO's long-term plan. A lousy team with a lot of lousy players, no superstars other than Pedroia who is not the same hitter of previous years, and a lot of spin doctoring by the organization bought by so many gullible fans, who still think Valentine was a good manager, and that the kids will eventually bring the Sox back to a WS....Pathetic.

A lot went wrong this year all at once that certainly missed the aggregate expectations of most of us. Some was foreseeable and even predictable, but others were not.

I agree that it is laughable to think we are contenders going into next year, even with a few modest pick-ups between here and there. However, I do recall 1975, and how a couple of golden rookies turned around expectations in a flash. I don't expect that in 2013, but perhaps by 2014, some serious youth infusion will boost us enormously. As I have said before, we should plan accordingly and only make moves that will help us in 2014 and beyond. Now, some of these moves can also help improve us for 2013 along the way, but I don't see much puirpose in 1 year deals to vets, unless they are just to help fill the seats and TV ratings as a bridge to 2014.

Our farm system is the deepest in Sox history. I have no doubt in this fact. We still have quite afew young players with their prime years still ahead of them, and a few more at the start or in the middle of the traditional prime year age span.

Prime                                    Pre-prime                                 Prospects

C  Salty                                       Lava                              Swihart, Vazquez

1B Gomez                                                                         T.Shaw

2B Pedey                                   DeJesus                       Coyle

3B Valen                                    Midds                             Cecchini, Vitek

SS Aviles                                   Chir                                 Iggy, Bogaerts, Marrero, Vinicio, TW Lin

LF  Nava                                     Linares                           delaCruz, Jacobs 

CF Ells                                         Kalsih                             Bradley, Lin

RF Sweeney                                                                       Brentz, Hazelbaker

SP Lest, Buch              Morales, Doub, delaRosa       Barnes, Webster, Owens, Britton, Ranaudo

Workman, Johnson, Pimental, Light, Buttrey

Montas, Callahan, Kukuc, Hernandez

RP Aceves, Bard                      Tazawa                          Wilson, Fields, Carpenter, Stewart

Mort, Mel, Mill

Yes, there are some lousy or probable lousy players on this chart, but there are also some promising and very promising players going forward. A few key pick-ups here and there can make us close to playoiff contenders next year, but not serious ring contenders until maybe 2014 and beyond, assuming we do better with our additions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

CERA Update:

Salty 4/2011-4/25/12:        953 Inn  4.88 CERA

Salty 4/26/12-9/29/12:      747 Inn  4.28 CERA

Shopp up to 4/25/2012:          63 Inn  4.14 CERA

Shopp 4/26/12-trade:        293.1 Inn  3.93 CERA

Lava 4/2011-4/25/12:         26.2 Inn  4.39 CERA

Lava 4/26/12-9/29/12:        221 Inn   5.70 CERA

As you can see, Salty has shaved off 0.60 from his CERA up to 4/25/12. When you consider that our pitching staff is worse this year than last, I think this is a significant number.

Lava's sample size is small, and a learning curve is to be expected, but Salty has a CERA 1.42 lower than Lava since April 25, 2012.

Let's look pitcher by pitcher for 2012  (Inn) CERA (note: some tiny sample sizes):

Sox          Salty             Shopp            Lava

Lester  4.94    (102) 5.89   (49) 3.70   (49) 4.01

Buch    4.22       (74) 5.47   (78) 3.28   (36) 3.79

Doub    4.86    (124) 4.95   (32) 4.18     (5) 7.20

Beck     5.23      (58) 4.47   (58) 5.46  (11) 7.94

Cook     5.65      (77) 5.28    (5)  3.60  (12) 8.76

Aceves  5.40     (51) 4.97  (15) 4.11  (15) 8.04

Morales 3.77     (52) 2.96  (22) 4.91   (3) 6.79

Bard      6.22     (36) 5.05  (21) 5.91   (2) 27.00

Atch      1.60     (37) 2.45    (9) 0.00    (4) 0.00

Padilla  4.69     (25) 5.68   (20) 2.75    (3) 9.00

Melan    6.44    (24) 9.99    (8) 2.35   (11) 1.59

Dice-K   7.68    (25) 4.68    (5) 7.20   (13) 13.50

Taz         1.50   (29) 1.55   (12) 1.50   (12) 1.50

Albers     2.29  (22) 2.86   (17) 1.56

Miller      3.23  (28) 3.74   (11) 3.97  (6) 0.00

Mort        2.95  (27) 2.33    (7) 2.70   (3) 3.00

Salty's CERA is better than the team CERA with 6 of the 16 pitchers with 20 or more total IP in 2012 (Beckett, Aceves, Morales, Bard, Dice-K & Mortensen). He is close to the team number with 4-6 others (Doubront, Cook, Aceves, Tazawa, Miller & Albers). He was significantly worse with 5 of 16 (Lester, Buch, Atchison, Padilla, Melancon). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Tonight was a perfect example of why CS% against catchers is a complete joke. And may I add that more than half of the time these types of things happen.

Granderson is on 2nd, thanks to Ciriaco trying to throw to 1st off balanced. Grandy takes off for 3rd on 1st pitch. Ball is in the dirt, so Salty's 1st job is to block that ball. Now with Granderson having some speed, its all but impossible to even attempt a throw and think he'd have a chance.

That one is on the pitcher. Honestly, they should have a PCS% (Pitchers cs%) and a CCS% (Catchers cs%). Although this would be difficult to determine which is which, at least its somewhat of an idea on who the blame should fall on...

You would have to determine a pitchers time from windup to the plate. If the ball is in in the dirt, too far inside. I imagine a zone would have to be determined, what pitch was thrown, etc.

Bottom line is that SB was not on Salty, as many havent been, and should be noted. Now Im not saying hes great at throwing guys out, but im curious to what his % would be if you took all the obvious ones that are on the pitcher out of the equation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ok NOW is the time to bench Salty or the 2012 season