Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

Not much to discuss these days, but soon some big decisions will be made, and one is certainly the "Who will catch FT in 2013?" question.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I say Salty will be here for at least 1 more year. But I think everyone knows my opinion on that subject by now...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

LaRoche will not be a FA. At worst, the Nats will sign and trade him or Morse. Morneau is just a bridge, but a good player none the less. notin mentioned K Morales as an option. 

Laroche has a 10mm option that might not be picked up, which would make him a FA.

I do believe the Nats and him are discussing a longer term deal though...

I like Morneau for a year if the twinkies arent asking for the Moon (no pun intended)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

LaRoche will not be a FA. At worst, the Nats will sign and trade him or Morse. Morneau is just a bridge, but a good player none the less. notin mentioned K Morales as an option. 

Laroche has a 10mm option that might not be picked up, which would make him a FA.

I do believe the Nats and him are discussing a longer term deal though...

I like Morneau for a year if the twinkies arent asking for the Moon (no pun intended)

The LaRoche option is a close call. I guess I am just not getting too excited about any 1 year offers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Morales and Iglesias are good friends. Morales promoted him verbally early on. Who knows. It might happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Morales and Iglesias are good friends. Morales promoted him verbally early on. Who knows. It might happen.

Hes a FA at the end of the 2013 also isnt he Boom?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

K Morales will be a FA after 2013, but will cost a lot less in $ and or players via trade than LaRoche, Morneau, and others mentioned here.

If he has a great season, he might want to stay here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

K Morales will be a FA after 2013, but will cost a lot less in $ and or players via trade than LaRoche, Morneau, and others mentioned here.

Id be fine with Morales as long as we dont have to part with a lot to get him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I say Salty will be here for at least 1 more year. But I think everyone knows my opinion on that subject by now...

I agree southpaw, maybe one more year for Salty to improve in all areas.  I would personally go after a guy like McCann to bring Lav along and trade Salty.  Lav could use someone better to learn from like Salty had with Tek.  I also predict it won't take Lav more than two or three years to be a very good all round player. 

If Lav hits well I may even play him a little at 1B next season to see how he handles the position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Id be fine with Morales as long as we dont have to part with a lot to get him.

He may be nearly free, and probably less than Morneau.

I would personally go after a guy like McCann to bring Lav along and trade Salty. 

We'd have to move heaven and earth to get him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

We'd have to move heaven and earth to get him.

[/QUOTE]

You'd be naive to think we wouldn't have to ask Pakistan for him as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe the whole U.N. !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

The "moving heaven" part may be difficult as well.  Maybe we should just go get him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moving heaven might be an underestimate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I agree southpaw, maybe one more year for Salty to improve in all areas.  I would personally go after a guy like McCann to bring Lav along and trade Salty.  Lav could use someone better to learn from like Salty had with Tek.  I also predict it won't take Lav more than two or three years to be a very good all round player. 

If Lav hits well I may even play him a little at 1B next season to see how he handles the position.

McCann is not needed for that craze. weve got tek, who will be working with both catchers and if Gary Tuck stays, him too. I also doubt that Atlanta will even consider trading McCann. Once again, if you have one of the top 5 catchers in the game who is still young, you hold on to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Between Salty, Lava and Swihart, we have a better catching situation both for 2013 and beyond than most MLB teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Id rather the pitching staff feel comfortable next year with all the change that is going on with the team. I also just have a feeling that Salty is going to put it all together next year. Sure, I could be wrong but for 2-4mm I dont think its that big of a risk. If were not in it by the ASB, then we could deal him. He would be worth more then.

I agree.  I have been somewhat harsh on Salty's defense, but I do agree with you guys that he is improving, and I think he will continue to improve next season.  Familiarity and comfort between pitchers and catchers are very important factors, and disrupting that again by trading Salty would do more harm than good, IMO.

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with a Salty/Lavarnway platoon, however.  I would prefer a backup with more experience, who has a reputation for handling his pitchers well.  Someone that Salty could bounce things off of and get advice from in game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The one big point in favor of dealing him is ... 1) We can get a nice prospect or two for him. 2) If he stinks next year for another team, we look like geniuses. 3) If he has a good to great year for another team next year, we can sign him as a FA.

In theory, we can't lose by trading him, except to make us worse in year 2013 ONLY- a year I consider "lost" anyways. 2013 is certainly a bridge year.

From a business point of view, your reasons for trading Salty make a lot of sense, especially if you truly feel that the team has no chance of competing next year.  

Personally, I don't think 2013 is necessarily a lost year.  From the point of view of who will give us the best chance of competing next year, I think you have to stick with Salty.  If he does show the improvement that we are hoping for, we potentially have a very good catcher for a long time.

I tend to agree with Southpaw that if the Sox offer him a competitive contract, he will stay in Boston even if another team offers him a slightly better deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Id rather the pitching staff feel comfortable next year with all the change that is going on with the team. I also just have a feeling that Salty is going to put it all together next year. Sure, I could be wrong but for 2-4mm I dont think its that big of a risk. If were not in it by the ASB, then we could deal him. He would be worth more then.

I agree.  I have been somewhat harsh on Salty's defense, but I do agree with you guys that he is improving, and I think he will continue to improve next season.  Familiarity and comfort between pitchers and catchers are very important factors, and disrupting that again by trading Salty would do more harm than good, IMO.

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with a Salty/Lavarnway platoon, however.  I would prefer a backup with more experience, who has a reputation for handling his pitchers well.  Someone that Salty could bounce things off of and get advice from in game.

Hi Kimmi,

I agree with Lavarnway getting more work in AAA and getting a vet like David Ross behind the plate to platoon with Salty. Hes a solid defensive catcher who bats right-handed that Salty could learn a few things from.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hi Kimmi,

I agree with Lavarnway getting more work in AAA and getting a vet like David Ross behind the plate to platoon with Salty. Hes a solid defensive catcher who bats right-handed that Salty could learn a few things from.

If Papi returns, Lava must start in AAA, unless he or Salty is traded.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bump to leapfrog the softy front page invasion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hi Kimmi,

IMO, Lav should start in AAA regardless and the Sox should sign a solid vet backup for Salty. Obviously this is under the assumption they keep both catchers, which I think they will.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

IMO, Lav should start in AAA regardless and the Sox should sign a solid vet backup for Salty. Obviously this is under the assumption they keep both catchers, which I think they will.

We'd need to find another Shoppach type- a catcher with a history of hitting lefties well and handling the staff even better.

Again, I agree that Lava needs more time, but with 2013 a pretty much lost season, I could see the benefits of letting him face ML pitching all year, which would mean trading Salty. Unless we extend or re-sign Salty, he's gane after 2013 anyways.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We'd need to find another Shoppach type- a catcher with a history of hitting lefties well and handling the staff even better.

Again, I agree that Lava needs more time, but with 2013 a pretty much lost season, I could see the benefits of letting him face ML pitching all year, which would mean trading Salty. Unless we extend or re-sign Salty, he's gane after 2013 anyways.

If David Ross doesnt re-sign with Atlanta, he would be my target. Strong defense and hits LHP well...Perfect platoon with Salty and could be a help with further improving Salty's defense...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If David Ross doesnt re-sign with Atlanta, he would be my target. Strong defense and hits LHP well...Perfect platoon with Salty and could be a help with further improving Salty's defense...

Good choice.

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts