Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

how about we just keep our young catcher who can hit for power and plays like he means it???

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to Ben as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let the fun begin!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

GM metting in Palm Springs starting. Maybe BC will start the conversation on a couple potential deals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we should and will do more rebuilding via trade(s) than free agency.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think we should and will do more rebuilding via trade(s) than free agency.

I agree. There are a number of options for us that wont require parting with top prospects that could help the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is we may have to part with at least one of the top 4 prospects to get top talent by combining them with lesser prospects. I do think we can make some 3 for 1 deals using mid-level prospects to get some good talent under team control for 3+ years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Has Salty been benched yet? Longest thread in Forum history

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This thread has taken on a life of its own...And no, not as of yet E. I think they sat him more to see what Lav could do than to "bench" him...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lots of threads have been longer, and yes, Salty was benched late 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Although Ross hits RH'd, he does better vs RHPs. Makes me wonder if a Ross/Lava platoon is in the works.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Although Ross hits RH'd, he does better vs RHPs. Makes me wonder if a Ross/Lava platoon is in the works.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It will depend what offers they get for salty and lav, but I think they would rather deal Salty if they can.

Although Im a fan of Salty Ive always said if he can bring back a player that will have an immediate impact on this team and makes us better, then Im all in.

Ben obviously has a plan. Probably more than we know and this move proves just that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It will depend what offers they get for salty and lav, but I think they would rather deal Salty if they can.

Although Im a fan of Salty Ive always said if he can bring back a player that will have an immediate impact on this team and makes us better, then Im all in.

Ben obviously has a plan. Probably more than we know and this move proves just that.

I'm sure he is already aware of the interest in Salty or Lava, and has an idea of which one he will choose to deal away.

Once that deal is done, I think only the Ellsbury decision comes before the FA signings begin.

(Trading for a pitcher such as B Anderson and/or an OF'er such as Upton may come first or during the FA signing period as well.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm sure he is already aware of the interest in Salty or Lava, and has an idea of which one he will choose to deal away.

Once that deal is done, I think only the Ellsbury decision comes before the FA signings begin.

(Trading for a pitcher such as B Anderson and/or an OF'er such as Upton may come first or during the FA signing period as well.)

If they do deal Ells they will need to get another OF in the deal or through FA since every OF position will now have to be filled.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If they do deal Ells they will need to get another OF in the deal or through FA since every OF position will now have to be filled.

Yes, but the OF position is the easiest to fill via trade or FA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, but the OF position is the easiest to fill via trade or FA.

True, and it would only have to be a 2yr deal at the most with a few of our own prospects that should be ready.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, we have plenty of OF prospects 1-2 years away, so we can easily find bridges to them, well at least easier than finding starting pitchers, SSs, and even (this year) 1Bmen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

still don't like putting all of our eggs into 1 basket with an OF composed of entirely prospects 1-2 years away (Xander,JBJ,Brentz) i still would like for us to resign ellsbury that way you don't have to count on all 3 of them to break through and perform. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

still don't like putting all of our eggs into 1 basket with an OF composed of entirely prospects 1-2 years away (Xander,JBJ,Brentz) i still would like for us to resign ellsbury that way you don't have to count on all 3 of them to break through and perform. 

If he has a solid year Im sure they will make him an offer. Ells will go where the money is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells will not be back here in 2014. I'd bet the farm on that.

Ells is not really reliable anyways.

I'm not for counting on and waiting for 3 of our many prospects to rise & shine. We should get one OF'er this year and possibly another after dealing Ellsbury or next winter, depending on the status of our prospects growth.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder what Ben's timetable and order of decisions will be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ells will not be back here in 2014. I'd bet the farm on that.

Ells is not really reliable anyways.

I'm not for counting on and waiting for 3 of our many prospects to rise & shine. We should get one OF'er this year and possibly another after dealing Ellsbury or next winter, depending on the status of our prospects growth.

Im all for a couple 2 year deals, like Ive stated many times, so they dont feel like they have to rush one of our prospects. It would be nice to see an all prospect OF by 2015 though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love to see it too. The money saved alone would put us in a great position to pad other areas with free agents.

However, I wouldn't bet on 3 of our young OF'er all performing very well by 2015. It helps that we have so many OF prospects, and I think the odds are good that 3 can make it to the bigs by 2015, but at a high performance level is another story. Here's a look at our OF'ers under control through 2015:

Kalish        24

Nava         29

Linares     28  (Not Rule 5 yet)

Sands        25

Bradley     22

Brentz       23

de la Cruz  20

Jacobs        21

Hassan       24

Jerez           20

Perkins        21

Hazelbaker  25

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'd love to see it too. The money saved alone would put us in a great position to pad other areas with free agents.

However, I wouldn't bet on 3 of our young OF'er all performing very well by 2015. It helps that we have so many OF prospects, and I think the odds are good that 3 can make it to the bigs by 2015, but at a high performance level is another story. Here's a look at our OF'ers under control through 2015:

Kalish        24

Nava         29

Sands        25

Bradley     22

Brentz       23

de la Cruz  20

Jacobs        21

Hassan       24

Jerez           20

Perkins        21

Hazelbaker  25

Also remember, Bogaerts could be shifted to LF as well if he doesnt stick at SS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kalish        24

Nava         29

Sands        25

Bradley     22

Brentz       23

de la Cruz  20

Jacobs        21

Hassan       24

Jerez           20

Perkins        21

Hazelbaker  25

Also remember, Bogaerts could be shifted to LF as well if he doesnt stick at SS.

True, as could Lava (LF). I think if Bogaerts fills out by adding weight, he might be best at 3B, but with Middlebrooks looking pretty solid in a small sample size, he may end up at 1B.

Sections
Shortcuts