1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd love to see it too. The money saved alone would put us in a great position to pad other areas with free agents.

However, I wouldn't bet on 3 of our young OF'er all performing very well by 2015. It helps that we have so many OF prospects, and I think the odds are good that 3 can make it to the bigs by 2015, but at a high performance level is another story. Here's a look at our OF'ers under control through 2015:

Kalish        24

Nava         29

Linares     28  (Not Rule 5 yet)

Sands        25

Bradley     22

Brentz       23

de la Cruz  20

Jacobs        21

Hassan       24

Jerez           20

Perkins        21

Hazelbaker  25

[/QUOTE]

Also remember, Bogaerts could be shifted to LF as well if he doesnt stick at SS.

[/QUOTE]

True, as could Lava (LF). I think if Bogaerts fills out by adding weight, he might be best at 3B, but with Middlebrooks looking pretty solid in a small sample size, he may end up at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Didnt Lav play OF in HS and College before being switched to catcher? Did he play an IF position?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd love to see it too. The money saved alone would put us in a great position to pad other areas with free agents.

However, I wouldn't bet on 3 of our young OF'er all performing very well by 2015. It helps that we have so many OF prospects, and I think the odds are good that 3 can make it to the bigs by 2015, but at a high performance level is another story. Here's a look at our OF'ers under control through 2015:

Kalish        24

Nava         29

Sands        25

Bradley     22

Brentz       23

de la Cruz  20

Jacobs        21

Hassan       24

Jerez           20

Perkins        21

Hazelbaker  25

[/QUOTE]

Also remember, Bogaerts could be shifted to LF as well if he doesnt stick at SS.

[/QUOTE]

True, as could Lava (LF). I think if Bogaerts fills out by adding weight, he might be best at 3B, but with Middlebrooks looking pretty solid in a small sample size, he may end up at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Didnt Lav play OF in HS and College before being switched to catcher? Did he play an IF position?

[/QUOTE]

I think he played RF at Yale before switching to catcher by his Junior year... something like that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boooomp

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kalish        24

Nava         29

Sands        25

Bradley     22

Brentz       23

de la Cruz  20

Jacobs        21

Hassan       24

Jerez           20

Perkins        21

Hazelbaker  25

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he played RF at Yale before switching to catcher by his Junior year... something like that.

[/QUOTE]

Your right. he played RF in HS and in College.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That could make the transition to LF a bit easier, but I think he will get a longer look at catcher due to the comparative positional value factor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

That could make the transition to LF a bit easier, but I think he will get a longer look at catcher due to the comparative positional value factor.

[/QUOTE]

I think so too but will/should make a decision by the end of 2013 what theyre going to do with him. I honestly think he would thrive at 1b.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) We are still not sure he can hit ML pitching well enough to be a 1Bman.

2) If he can just become an average defensive catcher (OR SLIGHTLY BELOW) behind the plate, but handle the staff well, he could still be a plus behind the plate. Then, if he can hit with an .800 OPS as a catcher, he'd be a huge overall plus as a catcher- even if as a platoon.

3) If he doesn't cut it at Catcher, an .800 OPS is LF is better than an .800 OPS at 1B.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

2) If he can just become an average defensive catcher (OR SLIGHTLY BELOW) behind the plate, but handle the staff well, he could still be a plus behind the plate. Then, if he can hit with an .800 OPS as a catcher, he'd be a huge overall plus as a catcher- even if as a platoon.

3) If he doesn't cut it at Catcher, an .800 OPS is LF is better than an .800 OPS at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think we will see what he can really do offensivly if hes catching. I just dont understand taking a players strong point (offense) and stifling it trying to be a catcher when numerous scouts have said that hes not starting cater material.

I hope he does well if they keep him behind the plate, but I dont have much confidence in it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont think we will see what he can really do offensivly if hes catching. I just dont understand taking a players strong point (offense) and stifling it trying to be a catcher when numerous scouts have said that hes not starting cater material.

I hope he does well if they keep him behind the plate, but I dont have much confidence in it.

[/QUOTE]

I think many GMs would view a catcher that has an .800 OPS as more valuable as a 1Bman with an .850 OPS. He's not likely to field well at any position. This is why they will give him every chance to become a ML catcher first.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but this is the reasoning involved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boooomp

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Only 31 MLB catchers have over 800 total PAs since 2010. Only 20 have over 600 PAs.

Last 3 year OPS:

#14: Ianetta: .749

AJ P. : .748 (#15 or middle of the pack catcher OPS)

Weiters: .748

RamHern: .747

G. Soto: .741

Hanigan: .740

Lucroy: .738

Salty: .737

Buck: .712

Martin: .711

Arencibia: .708

7 guys below .9

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 catchers protected on the 40 man roster: the writing is on the wall.

Trade is coming soon and probably for a prospect that does not need to be added to the 40 man roster (or as part of a 2 or 3 for 1 deal).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Salty is obviously on the trade block based on ben's hording of catchers....why? I have no idea considering he was cheap, hit for power, and seems like a truly great clubhouse guy....i love the fact that he overcame his personal demons to get himself into the starting unit...Unless we get an ace for him as part of a blockbuster deal, i see no reason for this....

this is why baseball is going down the tubes....the players i truly admired and played hard have all been traded, unsigned, or disregarded....how is a fan supposed to have loyalty when the team has so many new starters every year? (and few of them any good)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is obviously on the trade block based on ben's hording of catchers....why? I have no idea considering he was cheap, hit for power, and seems like a truly great clubhouse guy....i love the fact that he overcame his personal demons to get himself into the starting unit...Unless we get an ace for him as part of a blockbuster deal, i see no reason for this....

this is why baseball is going down the tubes....the players i truly admired and played hard have all been traded, unsigned, or disregarded....how is a fan supposed to have loyalty when the team has so many new starters every year? (and few of them any good)

[/QUOTE]

We share the same opinion of Salty. Although Its not written in stone that it will be Salty the Sox will deal, geo. We can get more for Lavarnway and if theres a pitcher or position player Ben wants, I dont think he would hesitate to do it.

Salty has worked his azz off to improve defensively, and should get his final arb year to see if hes worth giving an extension to. Hes a great clubhouse guy as well.

Honestly, I dont see Lavarnway as a FT catcher. Hes slow and lumbering behind the plate and didnt look even remotely close to being a good defensive catcher. Not sure how he won that award this year...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SALTY WILL be a FA after 2013. That is why he is being shopped.

Lava is still just potential or hype, whichever way you see it, and that is why he is being shopped.

One will not be here in 2013.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SALTY WILL be a FA after 2013. That is why he is being shopped.

Lava is still just potential or hype, whichever way you see it, and that is why he is being shopped.

One will not be here in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

And if they sign napoli, Saltys days are def numbered...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Was just thinking....Do you think the OP ever though this thread would reach 700 posts and stay at the top of OTFB for a few months after it originated?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Probably not, but there is a lot of data in this thread that I might need for future debates, so I try to keep it near the top.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i have resigned myself to Salty being traded....figures....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

i have resigned myself to Salty being traded....figures....

[/QUOTE]

I wanted Salty traded last winter, mostly based on his poor handling of the staff and not much sign of improvement.

In 2012, he improved dramatically with the staff after April 25th, and also blocking the plate. His PB+WP/innings was one of the best in MLB this year. 

I'd be fine keeping him if we extended him, but since he will be a FA next winter, it seems like the best move is to trade him (probably as part of a larger deal) for an upgrade at another position.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

:)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think he might be traded too, but Im still holding out on that thought completely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am near certain that either Salty or Lava will be dealt. If it is Lava, I think we will try to extend Salty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I imagine the brass is getting tired of Salty's strike outs. I can't remember anyone this bad who kept his job this long. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. Time to hand the job over to Lavanway. Nothing to lose at this point.

Time to bench this post!!! How long do they keep this stuff going ?