Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to youkillus' comment:

I predicted a Moon-Salty man crush! it's the time of the season...

13 months ago I was upset we hadn't traded him.

His HR last night came off one of best swings I've ever seen, he cleaned it out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I predicted a Moon-Salty man crush! it's the time of the season...

13 months ago I was upset we hadn't traded him.

His HR last night came off one of best swings I've ever seen, he cleaned it out.

It's his defense and handling of the staff that turned me around. To me, with a catcher and SS, it all starts with defense.

I'm not saying Salty is "there" yet, but he gained a lot last year and earned my respect enough to think we should have extended him before game 1 this year. I also said that if we didn't have him in our longterm plans, then we should trade him before we get nothing, if he walks after 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We will be facing some tough pitching the next 3 days: an early test for this offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ross gets the call with Price on the mound today. Hopefully Lester has another good game.

With Ross, I dont think they will be running as much today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ross gets the call with Price on the mound today. Hopefully Lester has another good game.

With Ross, I dont think they will be running as much today.

..and Lester being a lefty should help too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty:

.344 OBP

2.71 CERA & .665 OPS against

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Salty and Buch were in perfect sync yesterday. It was mostly about Buch's stuff, but he barely shook off Salty the whole game. Salty and this pitching staff are noticably more comfortable and know eachother much better. I think we will see even more improvement this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty and Buch were in perfect sync yesterday. It was mostly about Buch's stuff, but he barely shook off Salty the whole game. Salty and this pitching staff are noticably more comfortable and know eachother much better. I think we will see even more improvement this year.

Yes, as I have been saying since may of 2012. Salty is improving with the staff. Let's give him a chan ce to see how far it goes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Yes, as I have been saying since may of 2012. Salty is improving with the staff. Let's give him a chan ce to see how far it goes.

Hey moon,

I can't give Salty a great deal of credit for turning the staff around because hes been here for three years with most of these starters and hasn't been around guys like Dempster, Bailey, Uehara and others much at all.  I think the fact its happened quickly leans towards bringing in Farrell, Nieves and our FO creating a much better team chemistry.

What I do give Salty credit for so far are the little things a catcher must do in order for the pitching staff to respect and feel comfortable with him.  In that respect "Yes" it will surely help our staff.  Good game calling skills are great to have but take years for some and never happen with others.  Our staff knows how to pitch so Salty helps most by .........   

#1 Not allowing balls to get by him

#2 Keeping runners honest at 1B more often

#3 Giving us some offensive support

#4 Having strong leadership skills

I'm sure Salty is getting more familar with our staff, as he should be after three years.  If he can raise/keep his OBP respectable this season and continue doing the little things, then we have a viable starter long term.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Hey moon,

I can't give Salty a great deal of credit for turning the staff around because hes been here for three years with most of these starters and hasn't been around guys like Dempster, Bailey, Uehara and others much at all.  I think the fact its happened quickly leans towards bringing in Farrell, Nieves and our FO creating a much better team chemistry.

What I do give Salty credit for so far are the little things a catcher must do in order for the pitching staff to respect and feel comfortable with him.  In that respect "Yes" it will surely help our staff.  Good game calling skills are great to have but take years for some and never happen with others.  Our staff knows how to pitch so Salty helps most by .........   

I'm sure Salty is getting more familar with our staff, as he should be after three years.  If he can raise/keep his OBP respectable this season and continue doing the little things, then we have a viable starter long term.

He's greatly improved with the pitchers that have been here for 3 years, and showed marked improvement last year when farrell and Nieves weren't here.

I'm not giving him all the credit, but many here sure wanted to blame him when things went bad last year.

He's got the 2nd best OPS on the team (22+ PAs) at .938.

The staff has a 2.62 ERA when he is catching and the opps have a .638 OPS, including Lester and Buch under .500. Aceves and Doubront have struggled with Salty, but Salty looks a lot better this year in every area, except throwing out runners.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Hey moon,

He's greatly improved with the pitchers that have been here for 3 years, and showed marked improvement last year when farrell and Nieves weren't here.

I'm not giving him all the credit, but many here sure wanted to blame him when things went bad last year.

The staff has a 2.62 ERA when he is catching and the opps have a .638 OPS, including Lester and Buch under .500. Aceves and Doubront have struggled with Salty, but Salty looks a lot better this year in every area, except throwing out runners.

I agree he looks better in some areas moon like I mentioned above but he also had a good start offensively last season so #3 still remains to be seen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey moon,

I agree he looks better in some areas moon like I mentioned above but he also had a good start offensively last season so #3 still remains to be seen.

He finished in the top 16 catchers out of 30 last season in OPS. 3rd in HRs and 13th in RBI. Not bad for a second full season.

He needs to keep the OBP up for sure, but he has improved on defense in all but one area, CS%.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hey moon,

He finished in the top 16 catchers out of 30 last season in OPS. 3rd in HRs and 13th in RBI. Not bad for a second full season.

He needs to keep the OBP up for sure, but he has improved on defense in all but one area, CS%.

I dont think Salty is going to improve much, if any, in the cs% dept. But I can live with that if he keeps improving in every other area of his game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I dont think Salty is going to improve much, if any, in the cs% dept. But I can live with that if he keeps improving in every other area of his game.

If he keeps up this CERA improvement, his massive cut down in PBs and WPs even taking away Wake's earlier influence, and blocking and framing pitches much better, the CS% is minimal. It's really only about 10 to 15 more SBs per year over the average guy. How many of those lead to runs, and how many of those runs make a difference? 1-2 at most?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Salty has now adjusted to the high FB. He used to have that uppercut swing on every pitch, but has now adjusted and has a more level swing on high FB which has resulted in 2 HR recently. Just more noticable improvement.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Salty has now adjusted to the high FB. He used to have that uppercut swing on every pitch, but has now adjusted and has a more level swing on high FB which has resulted in 2 HR recently. Just more noticable improvement.

yeah i have SP. we are seeing him transform before our eyes. last season he had that uppercut swings (which led to some mammoth HRs) and poor eye. Now he refined his swing and is laying off pitches he would have been made to loook a fool on last season. this could lead to a great season for Salty. BC better start talking to his agent lol. So far looking like Moon had the right idea.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

yeah i have SP. we are seeing him transform before our eyes. last season he had that uppercut swings (which led to some mammoth HRs) and poor eye. Now he refined his swing and is laying off pitches he would have been made to loook a fool on last season. this could lead to a great season for Salty. BC better start talking to his agent lol. So far looking like Moon had the right idea.

His price tag is rising.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

His price tag is rising.

nothing he hasn't earned.. i'm ok with a player making what they deserve.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His price tag is rising.

I am too, but when you consider our restricted but high budget, it might have been better to lock him up when the price tag was lower.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

His price tag is rising.

I am too, but when you consider our restricted but high budget, it might have been better to lock him up when the price tag was lower.

shoulda coulda woulda. as long as he is on the team at a reasonable - modest price i'm OK.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, I get that. I understand that it was a gamble, and if he did poorly this year, Ben wins (except maybe vs trading him before he went poor). However, if he does well, we can still keep him, since we have payroll space that other teams can't afford.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think even with an improved year that locking up Salty will break the bank seeing that before arbitration cases (8 of them) we will start out with about an 88M payroll... That leaves quite a bit of flexability. He had to improve in order to resign him, so we had to see what he did this year. Hes earned a nice payday. The only possibilites I see for resigning are Salty and Naps with Ellsbury being a big longshot ...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I dont think even with an improved year that locking up Salty will break the bank seeing that before arbitration cases (8 of them) we will start out with about an 88M payroll... That leaves quite a bit of flexability. He had to improve in order to resign him, so we had to see what he did this year. Hes earned a nice payday. The only possibilites I see for resigning are Salty and Naps with Ellsbury being a big longshot ...

I didn't mean to imply he'd break the bank, but even a milluion or two more a year could mean we miss out on someone else. I think the plan is to walk the luxury tax tight rope for the next few years. We will have a lot of holes to fill over the next 1-2 winters, and if the kids aren't ready for some of them, the FA costs can be staggering.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I didn't mean to imply he'd break the bank, but even a milluion or two more a year could mean we miss out on someone else. I think the plan is to walk the luxury tax tight rope for the next few years. We will have a lot of holes to fill over the next 1-2 winters, and if the kids aren't ready for some of them, the FA costs can be staggering.

Well, Im not gonna worry about 1 or 2 million, although I understand your point. They spent a ton this offseason and are still 20+M shy of the luxury tax threshold. I also dont think they have to go as overboard next year as they did this year. Id have no issue spending a 4yr 30-40M deal for a good catcher who this staff is very comfortable with.