Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I dont think even with an improved year that locking up Salty will break the bank seeing that before arbitration cases (8 of them) we will start out with about an 88M payroll... That leaves quite a bit of flexability. He had to improve in order to resign him, so we had to see what he did this year. Hes earned a nice payday. The only possibilites I see for resigning are Salty and Naps with Ellsbury being a big longshot ...

I didn't mean to imply he'd break the bank, but even a milluion or two more a year could mean we miss out on someone else. I think the plan is to walk the luxury tax tight rope for the next few years. We will have a lot of holes to fill over the next 1-2 winters, and if the kids aren't ready for some of them, the FA costs can be staggering.

Well, Im not gonna worry about 1 or 2 million, although I understand your point. They spent a ton this offseason and are still 20+M shy of the luxury tax threshold. I also dont think they have to go as overboard next year as they did this year. Id have no issue spending a 4yr 30-40M deal for a good catcher who this staff is very comfortable with.

I think they are much closer than $20M. There is the player pension contribution and the Dodger payment that counts against the total.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I dont think even with an improved year that locking up Salty will break the bank seeing that before arbitration cases (8 of them) we will start out with about an 88M payroll... That leaves quite a bit of flexability. He had to improve in order to resign him, so we had to see what he did this year. Hes earned a nice payday. The only possibilites I see for resigning are Salty and Naps with Ellsbury being a big longshot ...

I didn't mean to imply he'd break the bank, but even a milluion or two more a year could mean we miss out on someone else. I think the plan is to walk the luxury tax tight rope for the next few years. We will have a lot of holes to fill over the next 1-2 winters, and if the kids aren't ready for some of them, the FA costs can be staggering.

Well, Im not gonna worry about 1 or 2 million, although I understand your point. They spent a ton this offseason and are still 20+M shy of the luxury tax threshold. I also dont think they have to go as overboard next year as they did this year. Id have no issue spending a 4yr 30-40M deal for a good catcher who this staff is very comfortable with.

I think they are much closer than $20M. There is the player pension contribution and the Dodger payment that counts against the total.

not to mention the ~8Mil Naps can earn in incentives

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Naps makes that bonus, we may be right below the limit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

yeah, I was going by cots.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just redid the payroll numbers based on average season salary...

2013 PAYROLL (LUXURY TAX THRESHOLD: $178 MILLION)

Guaranteed deals (Salary listed is the average contract salary per year)

John Lackey, $16.5 million
    Ryan Dempster, $13.25 million
    David Ortiz, $13 million
    Mike Napoli, $5 million
    Shane Victorino, $13 million
    Stephen Drew, $9.5 million
    Clay Buchholz, $7.4 million

Joel Hanrahan  $7.04 million
    Dustin Pedroia, $6.80 million
    Jon Lester, $6 million
    Jonny Gomes, $5 million
    Koji Uehara, $4.25 million
    David Ross, $3.1 million
    Jose Iglesias, $2.1 million

Jacoby Ellsbury  $9.0M

Jarrod Saltalamacchia  $4.5M
    Andrew Bailey $4.1M
    Alfredo Aceves  $2.65M
    Craig Breslow  $3.125M
    Andrew Miller  $1.475
    Daniel Bard  $1.8625
    Franklin Morales  $1.4875

Junichi Tazawa $ .815, Felix Doubront $.5185, Mike Carp $ .5085, Ryan Kalish $.498, Daniel Nava $.5055, Will Middlebrooks $.498, Clayton Mortensen $.5045, Pedro Ciriaco $.5025, Jackie Bradley $.490, Rubby de la Rosa $.4935, Drake Britton $.49, Dan Butler $49, Alex Hassan $.49, Brock Holt $.49, Ryan Lavarnway $.495, Christian Vazquez $.49, Allen Webster $.49, Alex Wilson $.49, Stephen Wright $.49

New Total:  ~ $150M

Additional expenses

Benefits, $10.8 million
    Dodgers subsidy, $3.9 million

ESTIMATED 2013 TOTAL COMMITMENTS:  ~$165 MILLION

(AS MEASURED FOR LUXURY TAX PURPOSES)

There are various performance bonuses, but one stands out as very significant:

Napoli: May earn $8M more if he stays on the active roster for 165 days. If he does not, he may still earn $1M more for each milestone: 400, 475, 550, and 625 PAs and $0.5M more for each 30 days on the active roster up to 120 days. If he earnes the full bonus, that would put us at about $173M. Not much wiggle room, unless we dump salary at some point this year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty seems to be back down to earth on his OBP number after a tiny sample size that is this season thus far, but here are some interesting trends (again 2013 is a tiny sample size):

Salty with Boston...

BB%: 6.2> 8.5> 11.1

K%: 30.8> 31.0> 35.6.2

AB/HR: 22.4> 16.2> 13.3

LD%: 20> 19> 29

OPS+: 95> 96> 123

PB/Inning:  26/856> 6/852> 0/92 (note: I think I once counted 14 of his 26 PBs in 2011 with Wake, so maybe one could adjust 2011 to about 12/700.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Salty seems to be back down to earth on his OBP number after a tiny sample size that is this season thus far, but here are some interesting trends (again 2013 is a tiny sample size):

Salty with Boston...

PB/Inning:  26/856> 6/852> 0/92 (note: I think I once counted 14 of his 26 PBs in 2011 with Wake, so maybe one could adjust 2011 to about 12/700.)

The bottom line?  Salty is still hurting us overall offensively and with throwing runners out.  I would have pinched hit for him with the bases loaded in the 8th, then brought in Ross.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Salty with Boston...

The bottom line?  Salty is still hurting us overall, I would have pinched hit for him with the bases loaded in the 8th, then brought in Ross.

c'mon.. i know you don't like the guy..... but he isn't hurting the team at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Salty with Boston...

The bottom line?  Salty is still hurting us overall, I would have pinched hit for him with the bases loaded in the 8th, then brought in Ross.

c'mon.. i know you don't like the guy..... but he isn't hurting the team at all.

Watching Salty throw the ball into CF yesterday and struggle to throw runners out in general shows us how much more valuable a guy like Perez can be defensively.  Offensively?Salty should have been pinched hit for in the eighth.  Now his OBP and BA is lower than the last two seasons which should begin to tell you something.  Like I said at the start of the season when I gave Salty praise for his fast start again.  It's all about where he goes from here and this season should decide his future in Boston. 

I don't hate the guy, but do close my eyes when he throws the ball and bats.  I never did that with Pudge or Tek until his last couple of years in the league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty with Boston...

Watching Salty throw the ball into CF yesterday and struggle to throw runners out in general shows us how much more valuable a guy like Perez can be defensively.  Offensively?Salty should have been pinched hit for in the eighth.  Now his OBP and BA is lower than the last two seasons which should begin to tell you something.  Like I said at the start of the season when I gave Salty praise for his fast start again.  It's all about where he goes from here and this season should decide his future in Boston. 

I don't hate the guy, but do close my eyes when he throws the ball and bats.  I never did that with Pudge or Tek until his last couple of years in the league.

Who would you have had hit for Salty?

Ross? Please!

Carp? They'd have brought in a lefty and the outlook would not have been any better.

The injured Victorino who does not usually hit RHPs very well anyways?

Salty had an .881 OPS vs RHPs before today's game.

This Monday morning QB'ing is the main reason I never visit the game threads.

Salty hits RHPs pretty well and was one of our best clutch hitters last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before today's game, Salty had the 11th best catcher OPS in MLB at .836 out of the 29 catchers with 40+ PAs this year.

You guys keep expecting 1B production from the catcher position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty also had the 5th best catcher OPS (.881) vs RHPs (35+ PAs) before today's game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Salty with Boston...

Ross? Please!

Carp? They'd have brought in a lefty and the outlook would not have been any better.

Yes moon, Carp or Victorino would have probably been a better choice.  I know you like Salty and hes a great guy but we have used/discussed every card including "stamina" and how insignifant SLG percentage alone can be with average defense.  The ball is in Salty's court the rest of the season to turn things around and there is plenty of time to do so. 

Tek was still as good or better long after he became a back up. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Salty was crushing the ball today.  Try watching the games first, and then forming opinions on it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty with Boston...

Ross? Please!

Yes moon, Carp or Victorino would have probably been a better choice.  I know you like Salty and hes a great guy but we have used/discussed every card including "stamina" and how insignifant SLG percentage alone can be with average defense.  The ball is in Salty's court the rest of the season to turn things around and there is plenty of time to do so. 

Tek was still as good or better long after he became a back up. 

Victorino is hurt.

Carp vs the assumed lefty is no better than Salty.

Salty has been one of our best clutch hitters since the start of 2012.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Salty was crushing the ball today.  Try watching the games first, and then forming opinions on it.

Yes, and there's a reason Salty was batting 6th and not 8th today. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I watch every game the Sox play Slomag.  The difference between fans like me is honesty and how I take criticism or praise.  I praised Salty after the great start again but will continue to show his weaknesses as well, not just mention OPS and improved defense blocking balls. 

Salty's "OPS" is and strictly has been SLG percentage "like Teks last days" nothing else.  Watching Perez and Salty play against eachother in this series shows the flip side of defensive weaknesses you guys don't like to discuss with Salty. 

Yes, he hit the ball hard a couple times today if thats all some of you want to hear.  Dempster also settled down but guess what?  The "first ball" down the center of the plate fastballs I mentioned earlier that KC jumped on ended up being all the only runs KC needed to win.  I don't just look at one side of the coin and never will. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I watch every game the Sox play Slomag.  The difference between fans like me is honesty and how I take criticism or praise.  I praised Salty after the great start again but will continue to show his weaknesses as well, not just mention OPS and improved defense blocking balls. 

Salty's "OPS" is and strictly has been SLG percentage "like Teks last days" nothing else.  Watching Perez and Salty play against eachother in this series shows the flip side of defensive weaknesses you guys don't like to discuss with Salty. 

Yes, he hit the ball hard a couple times today if thats all some of you want to hear.  Dempster also settled down but guess what?  The "first ball" down the center of the plate fastballs I mentioned earlier that KC jumped on ended up being all the only runs KC needed to win.  I don't just look at one side of the coin and never will. 

Before today, Salty's OBP was much better than last year's OBP, in fact, I think he had the 4th or 5th best OBP on the active 25 man roster.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Before today, Salty's OBP was much better than last year's OBP, in fact, I think he had the 4th or 5th best OBP on the active 25 man roster.

moon, I respectively need to ask you one question?

#1 Why is it you continue to use Salty's OPS to defend him as a starter when its so highly overated by SLG percentage and nothing else?  His defense "although improved" really is just average among league catchers. 

A few fans tried to do with Tek towards the end of his career even though it really didn't help the team win many games. 

You mentioned Salty being a clutch hitter last season.  He collected 59 RBI's with 25 HRS runs but only had a 222 BA, 288 OBP and only 38 BB's, compared to almost four times as many SO's.  Don't Salty's stats against righties/SLG just make him another decent "part time" platoon player, especially if he finishes a third year in a row with similar stats? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Thats not much of a reason to support Salty as our future starter especially if he finishes the same way as the past two seasons.  It does tell us we still have a lot of OB issues with our club if Salty's was one of the best going into today.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Time to bench Salty..??? Yikes! I don't think so. I know that numbers don't tell the whole story..but I am a numbers person when it comes to baseball and his numbers don't warrant benching..not by a long shot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Time to bench Salty..??? Yikes! I don't think so. I know that numbers don't tell the whole story..but I am a numbers person when it comes to baseball and his numbers don't warrant benching..not by a long shot.

Nobody is suggesting benching him, just questioning whether the guy is a true ML starter, or back up if he repeats another season like the last two.  Tonights another game and there are many left in the season but this will be a discussion all season.