Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty:
    [QUOTE]If he can catch 100 games a year a lot of teams would take him... he is not a bad catcher. I think Salty batting 8th or 9th is great... the fact he is in the 4, 5, and 6 slots shos how bad the team is lacking that 40/120 thunder bat.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

I guess some people just don't understand the state of Catchers in MLB today.

First, you have to drop the qualifying PA number to 200 this year, just to get a sample size of 30 MLB catchers to call "starters". (Salty: 320)

Some hate Salty's BA of .230 and think no team would want that.
    Fact: 10 teams have a starting catcher lower than .230. 7 teams have one at .207 or lower! For the love of God, come on men!

Ooooh, he strikes out way too much, but how many starting catchers have more HRs?  1 , and he's about 75 years old (AJ Pierz). 

How many teams have  a starting catcher with a lower OPS than Salty?
    Answer: more than half. You think none of them have had bad streaks?

Salty's OPS is in the high .760s, how many bad streaks do you have to have to have a season long OPS below .586 like 5 MLB starters right now? 
    7 below .616
    9 below .646

Even the great Mike Napoli has a handful more PAs than Salty, but less HRs, less RBIs and a lower BA.

Maybe Texas doesn't want him back, but I'm sure 5-10 teams would think he is better than what they have, and many many more would trade a decent prospect for him to be their back-up or platoon guy vs RHPs.

Salty's .799 OPS vs RHPs is 12th best in MLB out of the top 30 catchers with 150+ PAs vs righties (5th best SLG%).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]If he can catch 100 games a year a lot of teams would take him... he is not a bad catcher. I think Salty batting 8th or 9th is great... the fact he is in the 4, 5, and 6 slots shos how bad the team is lacking that 40/120 thunder bat.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]
    People complaining about Salty in the 6 hole are missing, or choosing to miss, the point you make about Boston's lineup.
    Not bad, indeed. If the Sox FO and BV ( but what do they know? ) thought that Salty was a disaster behind the plate ( I think he's pretty good ), he would not still be the starting catcher, even in a platoon; nor would any GM in either league ever be interested in discussing a trade for Salty. Power, notwithstanding. Defense at that position is too important. ( Even if at the moment that idea is being contested. )
    It's long past time to put this debate to rest. Developments await on the road not too far ahead. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty's actually done well in the 6 slot: .853.

But, much better in the 7 slot: .974.

(His 2 best slots)

Batting him 4th and 5th was out of necessity, and he did not do well there, nore in the 8/9 slots either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't understand why people think the whole "but he hit great as a #2 so he is a good # 2" when to me it makes little difference where you hit in the lineup. The numbers are the numbers. If Pedroia has 50 AB at #3 and tears it up and 50 AB at #2 and stinks it up he basically is in between those 2 numbers. He's not a great #3 and a bad #2. It really shouldn't make that much difference where a batter hits except for lineup protection. Yes, if a hitter hits in front of Pujols he is going to get better pitches to hit. That is about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

According to Cafardo, the FO "Definitely" tried to move Salty. And he couldn't understand why they wanted to keep Shoppach so much. What does that tell us? It's counterintuitive isn't it? Wouldn't most teams want to trade the back up? Wouldn't most teams want to have a left handed catcher and a right handed catcher? Instead they seemed to want to end up with 2 RH catchers. Why would they try so hard to trade Salty? Shoppach only had 1/2 year of control? Salty had 1.5.

It means they didn't want Salty back next year. It means they maybe had a FA in mind plus maybe Lavarnway. It means Salty was not in their plans going forward. It means they wanted to trade him and they didn't get the return they wanted or they would have traded him. But no doubt they wanted to trade him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It is freaking hot this summer. Maybe the heat is affecting all catchers. It's torrid out here in California right now. As bad as it's been all summer, it might get even worse soon for you east coasters. I'm telling you guys. It's bad! I was in Vegas the other week. Thought I was going to die. This week it's even worse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]Salty's actually done well in the 6 slot: .853. But, much better in the 7 slot: .974. (His 2 best slots) Batting him 4th and 5th was out of necessity, and he did not do well there, nore in the 8/9 slots either.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

EAST 

W

L

PCT

GB

HOME

ROAD

L10

STRK

ELIM#

New York YankeesYankees6746.5930.034-2233-247-3W4-
    Tampa Bay RaysRays6152.5406.032-2729-258-2W544
    Baltimore OriolesOrioles6153.5356.529-2832-256-4L143
    Boston Red SoxRed Sox5659.48712.029-3427-253-7L137
    Toronto Blue JaysBlue Jays5360.46914.028-2525-352-8L536

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : Oh, man.  That conjured up memories long-preferred to be forgotten:  Varitek flailing helplessly at strike three, up and out of the zone, every game!  Then the sheepish look to the ground as he trudged back to the dugout to don his shinguards and chest protector, daring not to look anyone in the dugout in the eye.....
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Varitek took unbelievable abuse, and he wasn't even in his prime. And his game-calling IMO was unmatched. There really is no comparison.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : It's difficult to have the kind of 'big hits' that get remembered when the pitching is this bad.  Last night Gonzalez had a 2-run homer that gave us the lead, but the pitching blew the lead.  The game before he had 3 RBI but our pitchers gave up 10 runs.  If we had won those games his RBI would look bigger.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Let's face it, there hasn't been much hitting in alot of games. It's time to stop blaming the pitching. Giving up the lead can mean one run. The only blame on the pitching should be the pitch calling, which has drastically changed for some of the pitchers this season. It's so obvious how important that is, and how much that has changed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : Yeah but we usually won with Varitek behind the plate (60-31 his last 2 seasons), and we usually lose with Salty behind the plate.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Harness, are you listening? You'd love this. I do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Uh huh......the "RUN" is the DEPENDENT VARIABLE........it is AFFECTED by a series of INDEPENDENT VARIABLES such as: Who was the pitching that day What relievers were used Who else was in the line up Who were we playing Who was the SP against us Etc etc etc Just looking at the catcher is ONLY OK if all of the other INDEPENDENT VARIABLES REMAIN CONSTANT, and they do not....... When you do the analysis your way, you will 99% of the time draw the wrong conclusions That like saying:  Hey, why do you think we won today?  Gee, I don't know, because we scored more runs than the other team?  Yeah Yeah, let's try and do that every time................ Yeah, but when you look at the Sox catchers since VTek turned 30, year after year after year after year, VTek had better head-to-head CERA with each individual pitcher   way more often than not. It's an undeniable trend and a large enough sample size to determine that VTek was a significant "variable" hjimself and had a hand in imroving our chances of victory even after his bat dropped off a cliff. VMart was a way better hitter than VTek, but even his better offense did not help us win more when he caught. We still had a vastly better winning % when VTek caught. CERA is not perfect by any means, and it is highly restricive stat with limited proper usage, but an 8 year sample size should even our those other variables. I even went back to see if VTek caught better pitchers than his back-up, but actually found the opposite from 2009-2011. Yet, we still won way more with VTek.

Go Moon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Is it possible that some of the abuse Beckett and Lester have taken this season is due to new catchers? Oh, right. That wouldn't help to perpetuate the beer and chicken agenda. They've even blamed Lackey for drinking in a season he isn't even pitching in.

I'm sure Jason Varitek is somewhere shaking his head.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

According to Cafardo, the FO "Definitely" tried to move Salty. And he couldn't understand why they wanted to keep Shoppach so much. What does that tell us?

You keep repeating this same tired old rant like it is the bible or something.

Cafardo could be 100% wrong for one thing. 

The fact (if indeed it is a fact just becuase a baseball writer said it was) that we tried hard to move Salty does not imply we thought he had little or no value.

Ben was looking to improve our team by addressing our weaknesses. You automatically assume that because Salty's name was the centerpiece, Ben must have viewed Salty as the weakest link. This is possible, but certainly far from obvious or even probable.

How about looking at it this way? Ben saw our catcher position as our psotion of strength. He really valued Salty, but determined that Lava and Shoppach had tremendous value too. He obviously wanted to keep Lava, since he is under team control for many many more years than Salty and at a much lower financial cost. He realized that Shoppach would not bring back much in return to seriously improve one of our other weaker areas. Just because other teams asked about Shoppach and not Salty, does not mean they valued Shoppach more than Salty, but rather they didn't have to give up nearly as much for a 2 month rental back-up catcher than a starter catcher with 20 HRs and another year of reasonable cost control. Ben might have seen the drop down from Salty/Shopp to Lava/Shopp as not a big a drop as the improvement differential might have been at the position he got a return player in, like SP.

You are jumping to illogical conclusions about a writer's rant.

It's counterintuitive isn't it? Wouldn't most teams want to trade the back up? 

Yes, assuming they'd get the same rturn as if they traded their starter, but we both know that is far from the truth here.

Wouldn't most teams want to have a left handed catcher and a right handed catcher? Instead they seemed to want to end up with 2 RH catchers. Why would they try so hard to trade Salty? Shoppach only had 1/2 year of control? Salty had 1.5.

See above. If you really think Shoppach was going to net us a useful piece for 2013, you are dead wrong. I'm sure the offers for Shoppach were a mid-level at best prospect, or a bottom relief pitcher or4/ 5th OF'er type...things we didn't need.

It means they didn't want Salty back next year.

You need to take a logic class. There are several alternative logical explanations for a GM looking into trading a certain player. I brought up one above, but there are more.

It means they maybe had a FA in mind plus maybe Lavarnway. It means Salty was not in their plans going forward. It means they wanted to trade him and they didn't get the return they wanted or they would have traded him. But no doubt they wanted to trade him. 

Please follow along:

They only "wanted to trade him" if the got equal or better return. Equal, if it was at a position of greater need, better if it helped our team overall in other ways (like very good future prospects). 

Looking to trade someone does not automatically mean we don't want him, of that he doesn't fit into our plans. Most GMs have several plans and contingency plans based on certain moves or non-moves, injuries, surprising player results (good or bad) and so forth. Ben was exploring one or more plans by supposedly shopping Salty. He may or may not have gotten an offer or two, and if he did, he decided he liked Salty better than what the alternative would have been had he traded him. One could just as easily look at the non-trade as evidence that Ben likes Salty more than any other GM in MLB. While this belief is as flawed as yours, it is just as plausible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I happen to like Salty, I happen to like Shoppach, and I also happen to like Lavarnway. With that said, the team is grossly under .500 with many, many people flat out blaming the starting rotation, and now an overworked and clearly no longer capable pen. If people are worried about the catchers, don't. If a catcher was to walk through the clubhouse doors with magic CERA hands for Lester, Beckett, it's not going to happen. So time to bench this thread. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Varitek took unbelievable abuse, and he wasn't even in his prime. And his game-calling IMO was unmatched. There really is no comparison.
    Right! All the abuse was over our back-up catcher, who I had shown time and time again performed better than almost half the league's starting catchers!

Let's face it, there hasn't been much hitting in alot of games. It's time to stop blaming the pitching. Giving up the lead can mean one run. The only blame on the pitching should be the pitch calling, which has drastically changed for some of the pitchers this season. It's so obvious how important that is, and how much that has changed.
    Comfort zones do not magically appear overnight. It might not have much to do with anything Salty does or does not due. It might just take time. The evidence points to a vast improvement with Salty since April 25, 2012. maybe the comfort zones are taking shape. just in time for many here to say we should give up and begin with a 24-year old catcher at ground zero.
    Harness, are you listening? You'd love this. I do.
    harness made the argument I just put forth above, and I was against him last winter. I thought Lava could not be any worse than Salty with the staff, but harness said be patient and give it time (it being Salty's improvement) and not to start all over with a new learning curve.

Quite honestly, I did not expect a Salty improvement this year. i gave up on him and wanted him traded last winter. It would be easy for me to cite 2012 stats to show Salty's CERA has not improved and I was right all along.nah nah nah! But, that would be ignoring clear evidence to the contrary. I was wrong. Salty took a while to adjust, and now he is doing very well with a staff that has serious issues like lost velocity by Beckett & Lester, a lost closer and 2 set-up men, and a new closer out of position.
    His ~4.00 ERA since April 25th is a huge improvement- like it or not.
    Is it possible that some of the abuse Beckett and Lester have taken this season is due to new catchers? Oh, right. That wouldn't help to perpetuate the beer and chicken agenda. They've even blamed Lackey for drinking in a season he isn't even pitching in.

I'm sure Jason Varitek is somewhere shaking his head.
    In all fairness, I'm not sure VTek could have done much better with these 2 guys having lost 2-3 mph velocity from 2011.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]According to Cafardo, the FO "Definitely" tried to move Salty. And he couldn't understand why they wanted to keep Shoppach so much. What does that tell us? You keep repeating this same tired old rant like it is the bible or something. Cafardo could be 100% wrong for one thing.  The fact (if indeed it is a fact just becuase a baseball writer said it was) that we tried hard to move Salty does not imply we thought he had little or no value. Ben was looking to improve our team by addressing our weaknesses. You automatically assume that because Salty's name was the centerpiece, Ben must have viewed Salty as the weakest link. This is possible, but certainly far from obvious or even probable. How about looking at it this way? Ben saw our catcher position as our psotion of strength. He really valued Salty, but determined that Lava and Shoppach had tremendous value too. He obviously wanted to keep Lava, since he is under team control for many many more years than Salty and at a much lower financial cost. He realized that Shoppach would not bring back much in return to seriously improve one of our other weaker areas. Just because other teams asked about Shoppach and not Salty, does not mean they valued Shoppach more than Salty, but rather they didn't have to give up nearly as much for a 2 month rental back-up catcher than a starter catcher with 20 HRs and another year of reasonable cost control. Ben might have seen the drop down from Salty/Shopp to Lava/Shopp as not a big a drop as the improvement differential might have been at the position he got a return player in, like SP. You are jumping to illogical conclusions about a writer's rant.  It's counterintuitive isn't it? Wouldn't most teams want to trade the back up?  Yes, assuming they'd get the same rturn as if they traded their starter, but we both know that is far from the truth here. Wouldn't most teams want to have a left handed catcher and a right handed catcher? Instead they seemed to want to end up with 2 RH catchers. Why would they try so hard to trade Salty? Shoppach only had 1/2 year of control? Salty had 1.5. See above. If you really think Shoppach was going to net us a useful piece for 2013, you are dead wrong. I'm sure the offers for Shoppach were a mid-level at best prospect, or a bottom relief pitcher or4/ 5th OF'er type...things we didn't need. It means they didn't want Salty back next year. You need to take a logic class. There are several alternative logical explanations for a GM looking into trading a certain player. I brought up one above, but there are more.  It means they maybe had a FA in mind plus maybe Lavarnway. It means Salty was not in their plans going forward. It means they wanted to trade him and they didn't get the return they wanted or they would have traded him. But no doubt they wanted to trade him.  Please follow along: They only "wanted to trade him" if the got equal or better return. Equal, if it was at a position of greater need, better if it helped our team overall in other ways (like very good future prospects).  Looking to trade someone does not automatically mean we don't want him, of that he doesn't fit into our plans. Most GMs have several plans and contingency plans based on certain moves or non-moves, injuries, surprising player results (good or bad) and so forth. Ben was exploring one or more plans by supposedly shopping Salty. He may or may not have gotten an offer or two, and if he did, he decided he liked Salty better than what the alternative would have been had he traded him. One could just as easily look at the non-trade as evidence that Ben likes Salty more than any other GM in MLB. While this belief is as flawed as yours, it is just as plausible.
    Cheers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : They must not want him catching right now.
    A bit puzzling as long as he's on the roster, when he could be getting more experience catching in Pawtucket. Looks like the Sox will continue to go with Salty/Shoppach as long as the race is still on. Maybe Lavarnway gets sent down, even for a week or so, when ( If? ) Ortiz is activated. Then the kid comes up in September. 
    I thought he might catch today -- but not, apparently, when guys familiar with the staff are still on board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : Do you have any idea what you mean by "lack of command"? I mean specifically.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]
    I mean he seems to be a terrible catcher in terms of his handling of pitchers.  How would you assess his handling of pitchers?  Sorry to irritate you in using lack command for a catcher rather than a pitcher.  I bet you played a lot of a baseball.  No I bet you did not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]All Red Sox Pitchers do better with Shoppach. Case Closed.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Does it matter that since April 25th, Sox pitchers have done about equally well with the long-time vet (Shopp) vs the 2 year starter (Salty)?

Here's a look at OPS against over the whole season in order of most PAs with each catcher. You will notice that Shoppach has caught Buchholtz more than any other starter...

Shoppach:                 Salty: 
    Buch  308  .622    Lester  409  .868
    Beck  252  .755    Doub    389  .792
    Lest   167  .673    Buch    244  .899
    Doub 151  .769    Beck     243  .708
    Bard   94  .793    Cook     193  .780
    Mora  93   .800    Mora     192  .546
    Pad    82   .704    Acev      147  .638
    Alb     67  .642     Bard      156  .795
    Acev   61  .632     Atch      146  .586
    Mill     48  .717     Mel          97  .938
    Atch   35  .410     Alb          90  .661 
    Mel    29   .612     Pad         89  .955
    Mort  27   .652     Taz         80  .646
    Cook  21  .762     Dice        80  .769
    Dice    20  .826     Mort       73  .562
    Taz     6  1.100     Mill         69  .494

As you can see, using OPS against, 5 of 16 pitchers (RED) have done better with Salty, and 5 more are pretty close (BLUE). I don't have the post April 25 numbers, but if they are like the CERA (7.23 before April 25 and about 4.00 after) then I'd bet Salty is matching up pretty well with Shopp for the past 0 weeks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : I mean he seems to be a terrible catcher in terms of his handling of pitchers.  How would you assess his handling of pitchers?  Sorry to irritate you in using lack command for a catcher rather than a pitcher.  I bet you played a lot of a baseball.  No I bet you did not.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]
    Do not make that bet if money is involved.
    I've given my opinion many times on Salty's handling of pitchers.
    So has Moon.
    So has Danny Cater.
    So has Southpaw.
    You have some catching up to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Try to follow this:

1) I've been saying trade Salty for over a year and most ardently for the past 2 months. What has he done since that time:

a) Horrible defense, CERA, BA, Strikeouts, ....etc. He is in the past 9 weeks averaging less than a .200 BA with very low OBP and overall performance. At no point in the past 9 weeks can we even remotely look at Salty as having performed up to par. 

And for some reason, Cherington apparently listened to GM's asking for Shoppach and immediately tried to ge them to take Salty. Maybe they were trying to sell high. They didn't trade either of them, but clearly tried to do so. Of course they didn't get the return they wanted! Of course they valued both catchers at least some. Nonetheless, according to reports they wanted to trade Salty more even though he was:

1) Better optimized for the team as a LH catcher
    2) Was the starter
    3) Was under more years of control

Can you guys follow what I'M SAYING? You have your position and I have mine. If anything, my position is proving correct. If anyone is ranting it's you guys who are holding on to your Salty pipe dream like it's the core of your existence.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Salty may not get non tendered but he is potentially a candidate given his overall performance and salary projections going forward. A lot of teams bail on such guys even before they get to the last year's arb. For example, Hermida, Aviles, Sweeney....etc. I hope he tears it up for the remainder of the year but I'm not holding my breath. Cherington looks to be trying to get some value from him before the non tender option comes up where he will maybe get little to no value for him at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Try to follow this: 1) I've been saying trade Salty for over a year and most ardently for the past 2 months. What has he done since that time: a) Horrible defense, CERA, BA, Strikeouts, ....etc. He is in the past 9 weeks averaging less than a .200 BA with very low OBP and overall performance. At no point in the past 9 weeks can we even remotely look at Salty as having performed up to par.  And for some reason, Cherington apparently listened to GM's asking for Shoppach and immediately tried to ge them to take Salty. Maybe they were trying to sell high. They didn't trade either of them, but clearly tried to do so. Of course they didn't get the return they wanted! Of course they valued both catchers at least some. Nonetheless, according to reports they wanted to trade Salty more even though he was: 1) Better optimized for the team as a LH catcher 2) Was the starter 3) Was under more years of control Can you guys follow what I'M SAYING? You have your position and I have mine. If anything, my position is proving correct. If anyone is ranting it's you guys who are holding on to your Salty pipe dream like it's the core of your existence.
    Posted by RedsoxProspects[/QUOTE]
    Get your position? Are you kidding? You've repeatedly bellowed it from Mt. Olympus as if it comes straight from the gods. Your position is the only position.
    Moon and I have been exploring possibilities. Neither of us has said flatly that Salty will or should retained. Your last sentence is nonsense, at best.
    The contest here is between rigidity and flexibility. Since none of us knows what goes on in Ben's mind or those of other GM's, the flexible position, at this moment is  -- well, the saner one. Thus Moon's use of the term "rant."
    How can your position be turning out to be correct when nothing has turned out yet?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I quote myself: "IF ANYTHING, my position is proving correct".

And I'm the one ranting when you guys keep holding onto Salty right down until he's the worst catcher in baseball apparently? We both have had our positions. We both have been entrenched to a large degree. I had mine when Salty was almost an all star. All of you guys were fawning over him. Now when my projection is looking a whole lot more accurate I'm the one ranting?

Yet again, you guys got it wrong. Just admit it and move on. Salty has been in the league 4 years now and is proving to be a bad defensive catcher with very poor on base skills who can maybe have some good HR pop from time to time. And he is starting to cost a lot more next winter. Time to sell as high as we can and it sure looks like Cherington got that memo.