Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Salty's CERA taking another leap tonight.  Ross caught Webster's first start.

It's a hard thing to explain, but it seems like whenever a Sox pitcher is really getting lit up, Salty is catching. 

That's true... all the huge opp's nights are vs Salty. If you threw out his worst 10 games, the differential change would be much greater than with VTek, VMart, Ross, etc...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After 2 PAs tonight, his OBP is at .337. That's huge for him and a lot of catchers too. His OPS is .831.

My guess is that after tonight, our combined catcher OPS will be one of the best in MLB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some interesting numbers on CERA.... (and opponent's OPS)

Note:

1) small sample sizes (7 or more IP)

2) some tiny sample sizes (look at the tiny ones with one catcher)

3) some wide innings differentials (in innings and results)

Lester:

w/Salty  (25.0) 3.24  .559

w/Ross  (18.2)  3.38  .735

Buchholz

w/Salty (29.2) 2.12  .596

w/Ross  (21.0) 0.86  .483

Dempster

w/Salty (21.2) 2.91  .544

w/Ross  (2.95) 2.95  .713

Doubront (before tonight's game)

w/Salty (22.0) 6.14  .826

w/Ross  (5.0)   3.60  .570

Lackey

w/Salty (11.0)  3.27  .645

w/Ross    (4.1)  4.15  .760

5 Starters:

CERA: Salty 3- Ross 2

Opp's OPS: Salty 3- Ross 2

Aceves

w/Salty (14.0)  9.00  1.100

w/Ross  (3.2)    7.36  .813

Mortensen

w/Salty  (11.0)  4.09  .562

w/Ross     (5.2)  3.18  .687

Tazawa

w/Salty  (9.0)  3.00  .654

w/Ross   (5.1)  1.69  .673

Uehara

w/Salty  (7.2)  2.35  .564

w/Ross   (6.0)  3.00  .857

Bailey

w/Salty  (8.1)  2.16  .641

w/Ross   (4.0)  0.00  .000

Wilson

w/Salty  (8.0)  1.12  .691

w/Ross   (3.2)  2.45  .718

Miller

w/Salty  (6.0)  3.00  .470

w/Ross   (2.2)  3.38  .800

Hanrahan

w/Salty  (5.1)  11.81  1.150

w/Ross   (2.0)   4.50   1.375

Relievers:

CERA- Salty 3- Ross 5

OPS- Salty 6- Ross 2

TOTAL:

CERA: Salty 6- Ross 7

OPS: Salty 9- Ross 4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And then we have this:

Ross 2.72

Varitek 3.57

Shoppach 3.77

Salty 2011 4.62 2012 4.84 2013 4.68

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Using overall CERA numbers is highly uninformative. 

There is certainly something very troubling going on when these huge runs allowed games all occur under Salty. His WP and PB rate this year is also up from 2012, after going down dramatically from 2011.

I'm not as concerned about the 40% K rate as many here, especially since his BB% is up significantly. His .333 OBP coupled with the power is nice, but his CERA battle needs to be monitored closely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... and looking at some other overall numbers... in the context of our staff at the time...

Opponent's OPS (PAs with pitchers)

2013: .700 (Before tonight- Buch 117, Lest 102, Doub 102, Demp 85, Acev 73)

2012: .779  (Doub 534, Lester 480, Buch 302, Cook 312, Beck 221)

2011: .746  (Wake 624, Lester 610, Lackey 591, Aceves 243, Buch 238)

2013: Ross (Demp 88, Buch 79, Lest 79, Uhe 25) Little time with Doubront/Aceves

2012: Shop (Buch 308, Beck 225, Lest 190, Doub 151) Huge differential % with Buch

2011: VTek (Beck 715, Acev 173, Lest 165, Albers 156) He was Josh's caddy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Really?  Then why have you talked so many times about 'Salty's CERA' improving after April/12?

And what great insights are you producing from your lengthy lists of comparisons?

CERA is an inexact science, moon.  We're all muddling around trying to make sense of the numbers.  Don't pretend to be the great authority.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Really?  Then why have you talked so many times about 'Salty's CERA' improving after April/12?

Because it improved pitcher by pitcher enormously, and when you compare one catcher against himself at an earlier time in the season, the ratios of who he was catching remained pretty consistent and stable.

When comparing 2 catchers on the same team by their overall CERAs, it is only fair if they both catch the same pitchers roughly at the same percent of the time. This has never been true with the Sox. We have nearly always used a personal caddy system that skewed the ratios wildly, thus making overall CERA a near useless stat.

This year, John seems to be using a L-R platoon of the catcher position, so maybe this will change over the full season, but looking at the numbers so far, despite the innings caught differentials being less than previous years, there is still a wide disparity between Salty and Ross on who they have caught proportionally more and less. 

And what great insights are you producing from your lengthy lists of comparisons?

CERA is an inexact science, moon.  We're all muddling around trying to make sense of the numbers.  Don't pretend to be the great authority.

I have  always said CERA is "flawed" and a highly "limited use" stat. I have not pretended to be an expert, but my opinion is that CERA is best used when you look at how each catcher does with individual pitchers (one by one). That is where the comparisons have less outside variable (less not perfectly equal). 

Are you really saying that the fact that Salty does about the same or better with our pitchers one by one is less valuable information than the overall numbers that are skewed by Ross catching our better pitchers more often?

Do you see any value in pitcher by pitcher CERA numbers?

Look, I'm not presenting these numbers out of a hat. I used to use this same criteria when blasting Salty as a poor "pitcher's catcher" when looked at side by side with VTek. I wanted Salty traded over the previous 2 winters before this last one. The disparities between Salty and VTek pitcher by pitcher was horrible. The overall numbers were worse due to the fact that VTek was beckett's personal caddy, and Salty was Wake's.

2011:

Salty: 624 PAs with Wake.

VTek: 53 PAs with Wake. 

Salty: 52 PAs with Beckett. 

VTek: 715 PAs with Beckett (almost 30% of all his PAs caught).

CERA is just one indicator of how pitchers do with one catcher vs another on the same team. That's about all it's good for. That's very limited.

I know Salty is not a great game caller, thrower, and possibly bad pitch blocker, but I do see improvement in the game-calling area both in my observations and with pitcher by pitcher comparisons between him and our other catcher. Ross was known as a very good catcher before coming here. I didn't expect Salty to beat him out in the CERA area. I did expect a small learning curve for Ross, but he has done a fantastic job so far, IMO. The fact that Salty is holding his own with most pitchers on our staff when compared to Ross, is encouraging to me, not discouraging. 

The huge runs allowed games are frustrationg to watch, and the fact that Salty is always the catcher when it happens is troubling... very troubling.

I do like Salty's improved BB% and OBP so far this year, but he needs to further improve his defense (and CERA-related skills) to be more positive influence on this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Because it improved pitcher by pitcher enormously, and when you compare one catcher against himself at an earlier time in the season, the ratios of who he was catching remained pretty consistent and stable.

When comparing 2 catchers on the same team by their overall CERAs, it is only fair if they both catch the same pitchers roughly at the same percent of the time. This has never been true with the Sox. We have nearly always used a personal caddy system that skewed the ratios wildly, thus making overall CERA a near useless stat.

This year, John seems to be using a L-R platoon of the catcher position, so maybe this will change over the full season, but looking at the numbers so far, despite the innings caught differentials being less than previous years, there is still a wide disparity between Salty and Ross on who they have caught proportionally more and less. 

I have  always said CERA is "flawed" and a highly "limited use" stat. I have not pretended to be an expert, but my opinion is that CERA is best used when you look at how each catcher does with individual pitchers (one by one). That is where the comparisons have less outside variable (less not perfectly equal). 

Are you really saying that the fact that Salty does about the same or better with our pitchers one by one is less valuable information than the overall numbers that are skewed by Ross catching our better pitchers more often?

Do you see any value in pitcher by pitcher CERA numbers?

Look, I'm not presenting these numbers out of a hat. I used to use this same criteria when blasting Salty as a poor "pitcher's catcher" when looked at side by side with VTek. I wanted Salty traded over the previous 2 winters before this last one. The disparities between Salty and VTek pitcher by pitcher was horrible. The overall numbers were worse due to the fact that VTek was beckett's personal caddy, and Salty was Wake's.

2011:

Salty: 624 PAs with Wake.

VTek: 53 PAs with Wake. 

Salty: 52 PAs with Beckett. 

VTek: 715 PAs with Beckett (almost 30% of all his PAs caught).

CERA is just one indicator of how pitchers do with one catcher vs another on the same team. That's about all it's good for. That's very limited.

I know Salty is not a great game caller, thrower, and possibly bad pitch blocker, but I do see improvement in the game-calling area both in my observations and with pitcher by pitcher comparisons between him and our other catcher. Ross was known as a very good catcher before coming here. I didn't expect Salty to beat him out in the CERA area. I did expect a small learning curve for Ross, but he has done a fantastic job so far, IMO. The fact that Salty is holding his own with most pitchers on our staff when compared to Ross, is encouraging to me, not discouraging. 

The huge runs allowed games are frustrationg to watch, and the fact that Salty is always the catcher when it happens is troubling... very troubling.

I do like Salty's improved BB% and OBP so far this year, but he needs to further improve his defense (and CERA-related skills) to be more positive influence on this team.

I believe CERA is a virtually useless statistic. We have been through this discussion before. But what I wanted to post is that as of this morning Salty is FOURTH in OPS in the AL among catchers with at least 50 ABs and he is SEVENTH of the 19 qualifying catchers. Unfortunately, he still strikes out way too often-40% of the time. He needs to make contact more often.

Interestingly, his WAR ranks 14th of the 19 catchers, currently at 0.1. I wonder how they calculate that, given that his offensive numbers are relatively high for his position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

From a TV screen (or laptop) in Ft Myers, it is easy to like Salty as a person. He comes across as a really nice guy; also, a hard worker and probably a good team mate. But, he can't catch, and he is no better than average hitter (considering the K's). And, considering he's been at it for a long time, it's hard to believe he'll ever be "VG" at either.

I'd consider him a "hold" and a No. 2 (or No. 3-in-waiting) catcher. Give Ross the job, and bring up Lavanway for spot duty. You can go blind looking at the mountains of stats that are available, but I'll still trust these old eyes (actually only one, now) that have been comparing catchers since the days of Al Lopez and Rick Farrell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

From a TV screen (or laptop) in Ft Myers, it is easy to like Salty as a person. He comes across as a really nice guy; also, a hard worker and probably a good team mate. But, he can't catch, and he is no better than average hitter (considering the K's). And, considering he's been at it for a long time, it's hard to believe he'll ever be "VG" at either.

I'd consider him a "hold" and a No. 2 (or No. 3-in-waiting) catcher. Give Ross the job, and bring up Lavanway for spot duty. You can go blind looking at the mountains of stats that are available, but I'll still trust these old eyes (actually only one, now) that have been comparing catchers since the days of Al Lopez and Rick Farrell.

As Tom Waits would croon, [you're] "blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other..."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unfortunately, he still strikes out way too often-40% of the time. He needs to make contact more often.

While 40% is an absurd numbers, K's are over-rated. I'll take the extra Ks if he can keep his OBP above .325.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I still dont understand how cera is even remotely reliable. Salty can call a great game, play great defense and all that, but bottom line is if the pitcher cant hit the spot he cant hit the spot. I respect all the work put into all the number crunching, but Ive said this before. CERA doesnt calculate for the intangibles. Salty has got better at a number of things. I like him. I have and will continue to support him because he is a good MLB catcher. I dont think he will ever be All Star material unless he can improve the offense and then he would be on line with Brian McCann who has 5 or 6 AS appearances. Their defensive numbers are almost identical. I do not agree with the people who refer to him as a butcher.

Hes a league average catcher who has some power. Not much of a throwing arm, but a 23% career cs rate, 1% lower than McCann. Hes batting .253 with a .330obp and a.493 slg. Thats good for todays MLB catcher, very good. He has shown improvement in all areas of his game except cs. Those are all facts, not opinions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I still dont understand how cera is even remotely reliable. Salty can call a great game, play great defense and all that, but bottom line is if the pitcher cant hit the spot he cant hit the spot. I respect all the work put into all the number crunching, but Ive said this before. CERA doesnt calculate for the intangibles.

CERA isn't reliable in the least.  If it was, Salty would be gone.

It's just a number.  An interesting number in my opinion, but impossible to draw precise conclusions from.

Nonetheless it has to be a concern that Salty's CERA always ends up so high.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I still dont understand how cera is even remotely reliable. Salty can call a great game, play great defense and all that, but bottom line is if the pitcher cant hit the spot he cant hit the spot. I respect all the work put into all the number crunching, but Ive said this before. CERA doesnt calculate for the intangibles.

It's just a number.  An interesting number in my opinion, but impossible to draw precise conclusions from.

I understand the concern, but when I watched him play for the last 3 years I see a good catcher. Not great, not an AllStar, but a good catcher who is improving. His offense has improved as well.

I guess what I dont understand is all the negativity towards this guy. Hes not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. If his offensive numbers were a little better, he and Brian McCann would be in line with each other because their defense is already almost identical.

Some here are calling for the sox to go get him and they use Saltys defense as a big reason.But their ok with McCann who makes almost 3 times what Salty makes, just returned from labrum surgery and has comparable defense? I agree BM is better offensively over his career, but dont knock Saltys defense and then call for a guy that is comparable to him defensively.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I understand the concern, but when I watched him play for the last 3 years I see a good catcher. Not great, not an AllStar, but a good catcher who is improving. His offense has improved as well.

I guess what I dont understand is all the negativity towards this guy. Hes not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. If his offensive numbers were a little better, he and Brian McCann would be in line with each other because their defense is already almost identical.

Some here are calling for the sox to go get him and they use Saltys defense as a big reason.But their ok with McCann who makes almost 3 times what Salty makes, just returned from labrum surgery and has comparable defense? I agree BM is better offensively over his career, but dont knock Saltys defense and then call for a guy that is comparable to him defensively.

I'm not saying Salty is ever going to approach VTek's reputation as a great catcher, game-caller, and overall leader, but many here forget this about VTek:

At age 27, he led the league in PBs and also allowed 22 WPs (BA .269).

At age 28, he led the league in PBs and allowed 16 WPs (BA .248/OPS .730).

At age 29, he missed significant time with an injury (only played in 51 games).

At age 30, he finally started to put together some impressive numbers, but still only had a .724 OPS, and his CS% never went over 28% in his entire career. His career CS% was 23%.

Salty:

At age 26, he led the league in PBs, but had a 31% CS rate (it is 27% career). His BA was .235, and his OPS was 737.

At age 27, he had one of the best PB+WP/inning rates in MLB (.222/.742)

At age 28 (this year), he is off to a bad start in PB + WP, but is .264/.831.

I know some of you distrust the flawed CERA numbers and justifiably so. I know some of you feel to overall CERA shows a better picture than pitcher by pitcher comaprative analysis, so to those posters, I present this:

VTek at age 26 in 1998 (Salty was 26 in 2011):

Hatteberg  4.10 (.722 OPS against) * Scott was never known for his defense.

VTek          4.29 (.725 OPS against)

Vtek at age 27 in 1999 (Salty was 27 in 2012):

Hatteberg  3.13 (.662 OPS)

VTek          3.98 (.712)

VTek at age 28 in 2000 (Salty's age now):

Hatt  5.02  (.783) Might be more about Hattie getting worse than Vtek better.

VTek 3.96  (.714) 

VTek at age 29 in 2001 (Salty next year):

VTek  3.00 (.631) vs team ERA or 4.18

Hatt   4.60  (.740)

Mira  4.75  (786) Became Wake's personal caddy.

Team ERA/ VTek CERA

2002: 3.75/3.74 (Mirabelli was close and caught Wake's games)

2003: 4.49/4.49 (Mirabelli was actaully slightly better at 4.46)

2004: 4.19/4.18 (Mirabelli at 4.26 and was a great def catcher)

2005: 4.74/5.02 (Mirabelli was at 3.73)

2006: 4.83/4.84 (Mirabelli was at 4.54)

2007: 3.87/3.80 (Mira 4.09/Cash 3.95)

2008: 4.01/3.66 (Cash 4.81) *When Vtek's CERA rule really began.

2009: 4.35/3.87 (VMart 5.22/Kott 5.36) 

2010: 4.20/4.05 (VMart FT'er 4.28/Cash 3.73/Salty 4.33 in 44 inn)

2011: 4.20/3.57 (Salty 4.62/Lava 4.39)

As you can see, the legend of VTek's CERA rule was really only his last 4 years at ages 36 to 39. He was also a great game caller and pitcher handler from about age 28-29, and his hitting was much better than the league average for much of his career, but at the ages Salty has been with the Sox, VTek was struggling with his fielding and his OPS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I believe Salty is improving every year and this year has worked on his offensive game. He did start out slow, but Ive noticed that hes done that in April. Hes like a batter it seems, in that Salty might have to get a few real games under his belt before he gets the "feel" for it again like a batter getting his timing.

I dont think he will get to the level of Tek either, but that doesnt mean he cant, wont or isnt a good MLB backstop. His offense has impressed me this year. people knock the K rate, but his OBP is up almost .50 from last year and his BA is up almost the same amount along with his SLG. Will it last? I dont know, but Ive already pointed out some adjustments in his swing that has allowed him to hit the high FB now. His patience is another noticable improvent also.

With a kid that works as hard as he does and has the raw talent that he has, hes going to get better IMO. He hasnt hit that plateau. If the improvement continues, a 4yr deal wouldnt be out of the question. I would, but Im not so sure the Sox would. they might offer a QO knowing that Salty should get at least 4 yr deal worth more than the QO if he continues performing this way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I believe Salty is improving every year and this year has worked on his offensive game. He did start out slow, but Ive noticed that hes done that in April. Hes like a batter it seems, in that Salty might have to get a few real games under his belt before he gets the "feel" for it again like a batter getting his timing.

I dont think he will get to the level of Tek either, but that doesnt mean he cant, wont or isnt a good MLB backstop. His offense has impressed me this year. people knock the K rate, but his OBP is up almost .50 from last year and his BA is up almost the same amount along with his SLG. Will it last? I dont know, but Ive already pointed out some adjustments in his swing that has allowed him to hit the high FB now. His patience is another noticable improvent also.

With a kid that works as hard as he does and has the raw talent that he has, hes going to get better IMO. He hasnt hit that plateau. If the improvement continues, a 4yr deal wouldnt be out of the question. I would, but Im not so sure the Sox would. they might offer a QO knowing that Salty should get at least 4 yr deal worth more than the QO if he continues performing this way.

Maybe someday real soon, he will put it all together: last year's fielding + this year's hitting + improve on his K rate, but I doubt he ever has a plus CS rate, so some here will always hold that against him, as that is about the only defensive stat that matters to some.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"There is certainly something very troubling going on when these huge runs allowed games all occur under Salty."

I am wondering if Salty's weakness is in making in-game adjustments.  Sometimes the game plan has to be changed because the opposing team comes out deciding they are going to be first pitch swinging, or because the pitcher doesn't have the feel for a certain pitch, .

Varitek seemed to have a knack for doing that.  There are many games where I've seen a pitcher struggle in one way or another early in the game, but Varitek was somehow able to coax that pitcher through 6 innings and keep the team in the game.  I'm not sure that Salty has shown that ability yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Some of you guys go nuts over the numbers. Use your eyes. Ross is more likely to get on base vs a lefty than against a right hander. I don't care what the numbers say. Yes, he will hit a mistake out of sight now and then, but a decent right hander will tease him to death with outside corner sliders, then put on 3 inches outside, and he's gone. Same with Napoli and Middlebrooks. All three are so determined to pulverize a middle-in fastball, they forget that the idea is to get on base--not strike out!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Does anyone know the wins and losses for each catcher right now? I think its going to be surprising.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Does anyone know the wins and losses for each catcher right now? I think its going to be surprising.

14-8 in games started by Salty.

8-7 in games started by Ross.

That is a little surprising.  If you dig into it a bit, most of Ross's starts have been against lefty starters.  And for some reason we have been hitting poorly against lefty starters this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

"There is certainly something very troubling going on when these huge runs allowed games all occur under Salty."

I am wondering if Salty's weakness is in making in-game adjustments.  Sometimes the game plan has to be changed because the opposing team comes out deciding they are going to be first pitch swinging, or because the pitcher doesn't have the feel for a certain pitch, .

Varitek seemed to have a knack for doing that.  There are many games where I've seen a pitcher struggle in one way or another early in the game, but Varitek was somehow able to coax that pitcher through 6 innings and keep the team in the game.  I'm not sure that Salty has shown that ability yet.

Good point. Another reason is maybe once the opponent's put up a big crooked number, maybe he gets dejected and gives up hope.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He sure seemed to adjust well during Lesters 1 hit performance. Im not saying hes an all around great catcher, but I am saying just like I said with Drews defensive numbers, Hes not as bad as the numbers say.

Defensive numbers are questionable at best. They just cant calculate the intangibles. Defense is too subjective, whereas offense and pitching numbers can be calculated very easily with many different stats. defense TRYS to, but it will never come close IMO. I know this will upset the "numbers" people and they will argue their case to me. I say save it, because no matter what you say I will say the same thing. With defense, theres no better overall measure then watching someone over a period of time than looking at some stat sheet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

14-8 in games started by Salty.

8-7 in games started by Ross.

That is a little surprising.  If you dig into it a bit, most of Ross's starts have been against lefty starters.  And for some reason we have been hitting poorly against lefty starters this year.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that salty seems to be a pretty relaxed person. Perhaps that has something to do with keeping the team a little loser.

Sections
Shortcuts