Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

Some of you guys go nuts over the numbers. Use your eyes. Ross is more likely to get on base vs a lefty than against a right hander. I don't care what the numbers say. Yes, he will hit a mistake out of sight now and then, but a decent right hander will tease him to death with outside corner sliders, then put on 3 inches outside, and he's gone. Same with Napoli and Middlebrooks. All three are so determined to pulverize a middle-in fastball, they forget that the idea is to get on base--not strike out!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Does anyone know the wins and losses for each catcher right now? I think its going to be surprising.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Does anyone know the wins and losses for each catcher right now? I think its going to be surprising.

14-8 in games started by Salty.

8-7 in games started by Ross.

That is a little surprising.  If you dig into it a bit, most of Ross's starts have been against lefty starters.  And for some reason we have been hitting poorly against lefty starters this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

"There is certainly something very troubling going on when these huge runs allowed games all occur under Salty."

I am wondering if Salty's weakness is in making in-game adjustments.  Sometimes the game plan has to be changed because the opposing team comes out deciding they are going to be first pitch swinging, or because the pitcher doesn't have the feel for a certain pitch, .

Varitek seemed to have a knack for doing that.  There are many games where I've seen a pitcher struggle in one way or another early in the game, but Varitek was somehow able to coax that pitcher through 6 innings and keep the team in the game.  I'm not sure that Salty has shown that ability yet.

Good point. Another reason is maybe once the opponent's put up a big crooked number, maybe he gets dejected and gives up hope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He sure seemed to adjust well during Lesters 1 hit performance. Im not saying hes an all around great catcher, but I am saying just like I said with Drews defensive numbers, Hes not as bad as the numbers say.

Defensive numbers are questionable at best. They just cant calculate the intangibles. Defense is too subjective, whereas offense and pitching numbers can be calculated very easily with many different stats. defense TRYS to, but it will never come close IMO. I know this will upset the "numbers" people and they will argue their case to me. I say save it, because no matter what you say I will say the same thing. With defense, theres no better overall measure then watching someone over a period of time than looking at some stat sheet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

That is a little surprising.  If you dig into it a bit, most of Ross's starts have been against lefty starters.  And for some reason we have been hitting poorly against lefty starters this year.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that salty seems to be a pretty relaxed person. Perhaps that has something to do with keeping the team a little loser.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some of you guys go nuts over the numbers. Use your eyes. Ross is more likely to get on base vs a lefty than against a right hander. I don't care what the numbers say. Yes, he will hit a mistake out of sight now and then, but a decent right hander will tease him to death with outside corner sliders, then put on 3 inches outside, and he's gone.

Newsflash: numbers actually do reflect what is done on the field. They are not some abstract concoction. I mmeantioned when we got Ross, that he was slightly better vs RHPs than LHPs. Just because that is a rarity, does not make if false.

"Use your eyes"? Have you been using yours or someone elses?

2013:

vs RHPs 22 PAs/ on base 9 times (.409 OBP)

vs LHPs 28 PAs/ on base 7 tines (.250 OBP)

His history tells the same story, although not to this degree:

2012: vs RHPs: .333/ vs LHPs .307

2011: .333/.333 (better BA vs RHPs)

2010: .439/.360

2009: .394/.348

2008: .375/.363

This is the 6th straight year Ross has gotten on base more vs RHPs than LHPs. What will it take to convince you that he is that rare player that defies the tradition? 

At the beginning of his career, he was the traditional hitter. He got on base much better vs lefties, but I'd say a 5+ year trend is a legitimate sample size, and my eyes have told me, this guy doies better vs RHPs.

The only reason he is playing mostly vs LHPs is that Salty's split differential is even wider than David's.

Salty's career splits:

vs RHPs: .323/.460/.783 (One of the best hitsting catchers vs RHPs in MLB)

vs LHPs: .256/.331/.587 (One of MLB's worst hitting catchers vs LHPs)

Open your eyes and actually watch the games. Did you miss the 9 times Ross got on base vs RHPs in just 22 PAs, or were taking a snack break to the kitchen?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think part of it has to do with the fact that salty seems to be a pretty relaxed person. Perhaps that has something to do with keeping the team a little loser.

The Sox have never been very good against soft tossing LHP for some reason. The will have a losing record against them more times than not.

I agree that Salty is a laid back kind of guy and that can be a calming effect on the pitchers. Just another thing that defensive stats cant measure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox are 14-9 in Salty starts.

Sox are 8-7 in Ross starts.

(One game Ross was pulled in the middle of the 5th, and Salty caught one more out, so one could adjust it to 14-10 vs 8-6)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some of you guys go nuts over the numbers. Use your eyes. Ross is more likely to get on base vs a lefty than against a right hander. I don't care what the numbers say. Yes, he will hit a mistake out of sight now and then, but a decent right hander will tease him to death with outside corner sliders, then put on 3 inches outside, and he's gone.

Newsflash: numbers actually do reflect what is done on the field. They are not some abstract concoction. I mmeantioned when we got Ross, that he was slightly better vs RHPs than LHPs. Just because that is a rarity, does not make if false.

"Use your eyes"? Have you been using yours or someone elses?

2013:

vs RHPs 22 PAs/ on base 9 times (.409 OBP)

vs LHPs 28 PAs/ on base 7 tines (.250 OBP)

His history tells the same story, although not to this degree:

2012: vs RHPs: .333/ vs LHPs .307

2011: .333/.333 (better BA vs RHPs)

2010: .439/.360

2009: .394/.348

2008: .375/.363

This is the 6th straight year Ross has gotten on base more vs RHPs than LHPs. What will it take to convince you that he is that rare player that defies the tradition? 

At the beginning of his career, he was the traditional hitter. He got on base much better vs lefties, but I'd say a 5+ year trend is a legitimate sample size, and my eyes have told me, this guy doies better vs RHPs.

The only reason he is playing mostly vs LHPs is that Salty's split differential is even wider than David's.

Salty's career splits:

Open your eyes and actually watch the games. Did you miss the 9 times Ross got on base vs RHPs in just 22 PAs, or were taking a snack break to the kitchen?

are those career numbers for Salty OBP  SLG and OPS Moon? Just wanna make sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty's career splits:

Yes, they are.

Salty should play only vs RHPs. I have said it all along. Tito was fixated on the personal caddy thing and played our ctahcers based on who was pitching for us, not for "them". This had 3 bad side effects:

1) Salty had too many PAs vs LHPs and too few vs RHPs.

2) Shoppach and Vtek had too many PAs vs RHPs and too few vs LHPs.

3) All catchers missed out on catching some pitchers, so when an injury forced them to catch them, they were unaccustomed to working with them. (A prime example was when Tito used VMart with Beckett in the playoffs, and we lost.)

BTW, check out these numbers:

Salty's recent splits:

2013: .912/.485  (OBP: .358/.250)

2012: .779/.494  (OBP .299/.211)

This is the reason Salty plays vs RHPs and Ross vs LHPs.

As I mentioned when we signed Ross, I thought Salty would be traded because Ross was better vs RHPs, and we could use Lava vs LHPs, but since Ross does well vs LHPs as well, I guess they felt it was a good idea to do as they are doing this year, and if Saklty falters, they have a catcher that hits RHPs well (unlike maybe Lava might do).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Salty's career splits:

Yes, they are.

Salty should play only vs RHPs. I have said it all along. Tito was fixated on the personal caddy thing and played our ctahcers based on who was pitching for us, not for "them". This had 3 bad side effects:

3) All catchers missed out on catching some pitchers, so when an injury forced them to catch them, they were unaccustomed to working with them. (A prime example was when Tito used VMart with Beckett in the playoffs, and we lost.)

Salty's recent splits:

As I mentioned when we signed Ross, I thought Salty would be traded because Ross was better vs RHPs, and we could use Lava vs LHPs, but since Ross does well vs LHPs as well, I guess they felt it was a good idea to do as they are doing this year, and if Saklty falters, they have a catcher that hits RHPs well (unlike maybe Lava might do).

Lavarnway seems to have good splits as well, but that in the minors.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Salty's career splits:

Yes, they are.

Salty's recent splits:

As I mentioned when we signed Ross, I thought Salty would be traded because Ross was better vs RHPs, and we could use Lava vs LHPs, but since Ross does well vs LHPs as well, I guess they felt it was a good idea to do as they are doing this year, and if Salty falters, they have a catcher that hits RHPs well (unlike maybe Lava might do).

Lavarnway seems to have good splits as well, but that in the minors.

True, but if he does struggle, it would more likely be vs tough RHPs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

He is obviously smart and calls a decent game. Love to see the pop he had few years ago. Looks like his not raking, but making decent contact with a clip of .313/.408/.475 in AAA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think Lava's eventual role will be DH and 3rd string catcher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty:

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : Oh, man.  That conjured up memories long-preferred to be forgotten:  Varitek flailing helplessly at strike three, up and out of the zone, every game!  Then the sheepish look to the ground as he trudged back to the dugout to don his shinguards and chest protector, daring not to look anyone in the dugout in the eye.....
    Posted by rickerd2

Yeah but we usually won with Varitek behind the plate (60-31 his last 2 seasons), and we usually lose with Salty behind the plate.   

We are going to lose a lot of games no matter who is catching. Its getting close to Lavarnway time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think they have been trying to trade Salty for 2 years now and just can't get much value for him or he would have been gone, baby, gone. Lavarnway had a chance but blew it last year, possibly due to health and stamina issues after losing 30 lbs. Notice they have been keeping him fresh this year. And although his HR pop hasn't been there he has hit extremely well for a catcher this year. He's drawing a lot of walks and not striking out much. He has largely adjusted to the hole in his swing from last year.

I think he will do much better this time around if he is given a chance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I think they have been trying to trade Salty for 2 years now and just can't get much value for him or he would have been gone, baby, gone. Lavarnway had a chance but blew it last year, possibly due to health and stamina issues after losing 30 lbs. Notice they have been keeping him fresh this year. And although his HR pop hasn't been there he has hit extremely well for a catcher this year. He's drawing a lot of walks and not striking out much. He has largely adjusted to the hole in his swing from last year.

I think he will do much better this time around if he is given a chance.

Another way to look at it is this: Ben thinks Salty's value is more than any other GM. That does not mean other GMs don't value Salty- they may or they may not, but it could just mean Ben likes Salty more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Out of the 25 catchers with at least 25 starts behind the plate and have 95 AB's, salty ranks #7 with a, .828OPS so far this year. I also believe he is an average catcher, but certainly not a "butcher" as some here suggest.

I think there are a number of teams that will be talking to Salty this winter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Out of the 25 catchers with at least 25 starts behind the plate and have 95 AB's, Dsalty ranks #7 with a, .828OPS so far this year. I also beloeve he is an average catcher, but certainly not a "buthcer" as some here suggest.

They may be talking to Ben right now or at the deadline.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Out of the 25 catchers with at least 25 starts behind the plate and have 95 AB's, Dsalty ranks #7 with a, .828OPS so far this year. I also beloeve he is an average catcher, but certainly not a "buthcer" as some here suggest.

They may be talking to Ben right now or at the deadline.

Very possible. Nothing wrong with an average defender with above average offense for a catcher. Lots of them with long careers. he has been upping his value this year IMO, which is good for the Sox if they are trying to deal him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

With defense, theres no better overall measure then watching someone over a period of time than looking at some stat sheet.

Thats why I believe he might be the worst defensive starting catcher in baseball. I have watched him enough to tell. Also think his intangibles make him a worse catcher then the stats say.

As for his offensive numbers, he is a below average offensive starter. Unless you just look at his numbers from 95 AB's this year. Even then they are inflated by a high BABIP[.382].  When his BABIP comes down his OPS will too. Especially considering his career high K %.

For a starting catcher, he is a poor offensive and terrible defensive catcher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

With defense, theres no better overall measure then watching someone over a period of time than looking at some stat sheet.

Thats why I believe he might be the worst defensive starting catcher in baseball. I have watched him enough to tell. Also think his intangibles make him a worse catcher then the stats say.

As for his offensive numbers, he is a below average offensive starter. Unless you just look at his numbers from 95 AB's this year. Even then they are inflated by a high BABIP[.382].  When his BABIP comes down his OPS will too. Especially considering his career high K %.

Well, from the people I have discussed him with, who have MLB experience and or a lot of experience either pitching or catching including myself, agree that hes average for MLB compared to all the starters. Below average in some areas and above in some. Its not everyday your lucky enough to get a great 2-way catcher like Buster posey or Yadier Molina. I guarantee someone would sign Salty to a 3-4 year deal this winter. The Sox have Vasquez, who I believe is going to be more like Molina, so we dont need Salty after this year regardless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict one of two things:

1) You value BA above all else on offense.

2) You have no idea baout the state of catching offense in MLB these days.

Here'a a look at some MLB catcher stats: (Salty in Red)

Catcher     BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

MLB 2013: .242/.312/.400/.712    Salty: 263/.333/.495/.828

Catcher HR per team: <5/163 PA   Salty 4/105 PA

RBI: <18   Salty 11 in about 2/3rd the PA

K%: 21%   Salty 34%

BB%: 8%   Salty 10%

Per about 700 PAs (average total team catcher numbers)

2012: .247/.319/.399/.718  18 HRs  74 RBI .222/.288/.454/.742  25  59 (448 PA)

2011: .245/.314/.390/.704  21 HRs  83 RBI  .235/.288/.450/.738  16  56 (386 PA)

11-12: .246/.316/395/.711  20 HRs  79 RBIs in ~700 PAs

Salty: .228/.288/.452/.740  41 HRs  115 RBI in 834 PAs

You have to go to a combined 2011-2013 seasons 600 PA to find 30 catchers (30 MLB teams). Here's how Salty stacks up against the top 30 MLB catchers by PAs the last 2+ seasons (which includes Napoli, who is no longer a catcher).

BA: .232  24th (but better than 9 team catching BA)

BAbip: .294 12th

K%: 31.3  30th 

BB%: 7.7  18th

OBP: .293  25th (Better than 7 team catcher OBP)

Slg%: .457  5th (Better than every team catcher Slg%)

OPS: .750  17th (Better than 20 team catcher OPS)

PAs: 939  14th

HR:  45  7th  (Better than 18 team catcher HR totals in 66% PAs)

LD%: 22.4  5th (Maybe part of why he has a higher BAbip number)

GB%: 31.2 29th

HR/FB: 17.1% 4th

I wouldn't argue with anyone saying he has been an average hitting catcher, but he has certainly not been "poor" when compared to the top 30 catchers since he became our starting catcher, and most definitely when compared to the league catching numbers or team catching numbers.

Catchers today can't hit, so a little context is needed when you say he is a poor hitting catcher.

Here are some poor hitting catchers with 600+ PAs: ('11-'13)

AB   catcher BA  HR  RBI OPS

784 G Soto .213  28  96  .666

926 J Buck .215  38  88  .681

626 Barajas .217  27  58  .670 (153 SB & only 26 CS- you think Salty's bad!)

851 Olivo    .221  34  85  .630

929 Arenc.  .226  50  108  .717

934 Martin  .228  45  120  .739

653 Ianetta .233  26  89  .751

942 Suzuki  .237  22  96  .656

591 Hundley .239  15  61  .685

661  Thole    .251   4  46  .639

643  Jaso     .252  16  79  .745

858  Salty     .232  45 120 .750

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict one of two things:

1) You value BA above all else on offense.

2) You have no idea baout the state of catching offense in MLB these days.

You have to go to a combined 2011-2013 seasons 600 PA to find 30 catchers (30 MLB teams). Here's how Salty stacks up against the top 30 MLB catchers by PAs the last 2+ seasons (which includes Napoli, who is no longer a catcher).

I feel poor is the perfect word to describe his offense the last 2+ years for a "starting" catcher. But if you forced me to change the description to either average or bad I would lean towards BAD.

In the last 2+ years[glad you used those numbers because that was what I was looking at when I did the post], Salty is 17th in OPS, 19th in wOBA, a distant 19th in wRC+, and 25th in OB% out of 30 catchers with atleast 600 PA's. My favorite offensive stat is OPS+. Can't find those numbers, but I am guessing it would be even worse then his OPS numbers. Those are the most important offensive stats to me and the stats I looked at from Fangraphs when making the statement. Didn't have a clue what his BA was or is. Let me add these numbers are with him playing half his games in a good hitters park.

If you wish to remove Napoli and go with 550 PA's, then Salty ranks 18th in OPS, 27th in OB%, 20th in wOBA, and a distant 20th in wRC+. All out of 32 players. Below average and poor numbers.

Now if we compare him to backup catchers he is an excellent offensive catcher. But still terrible on defense. Thats why I was careful to use starting catcher.

I think your limb just broke.Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts