Time to bring our Pappy Back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Time to bring our Pappy Back?

If the Phillies were willing to trade Paplebon to free up some payroll would you consider bringing him back? Not at full price but say for 10 Million? Maybe a swap of Bailey + cash for Paplebon? He's a proven closer we know he can handle the pressure of playing here, and honestly there isn't too many closers out there available that can really truely handle playing here. (And yes, I am giving up on Andrew Bailey. It's not that I don't like him it's just why take a chance now when we could go out there and get someone we know will work.)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Re: Time to bring our Pappy Back?

Lol? Yes the Phillies need to free up salary hence the reason there are rumors they could be looking to move Cliff Lee this offseason.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ill give Bailey 2013 to see what he can do. hes got a solid track record as a closer and just came off an injury this year that kept him out basically the whole season.

I looked at Paps pitchfx and his velocity has gone from a steady 95+ and being able to dial it up to 98-100 to a 92-93 and reaching 95-96 on rare occasions this year. It looks as if the velocity started to dip a little more last year and this year it was very obvious.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=5975&position=P&pitch=FA

He still has 3 years left and a vesting option for 2016 (13mm per) if he finishes 55 games in 2015 or 100 combined for 2014 and 2015. Unless he gets injured he should reach that.

Hes at the age where most power pitchers lose their velocity and have to find another way to beat hitters, ie; He has to become a true pitcher.

If this is the start of a trend, I dont want to be part of it.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

If the Phillies were willing to trade Paplebon to free up some payroll would you consider bringing him back? Not at full price but say for 10 Million? Maybe a swap of Bailey + cash for Paplebon? He's a proven closer we know he can handle the pressure of playing here, and honestly there isn't too many closers out there available that can really truely handle playing here. (And yes, I am giving up on Andrew Bailey. It's not that I don't like him it's just why take a chance now when we could go out there and get someone we know will work.)

Maybe the Red Sox should have tried to resign Papelbon.  Although, I believe he didn't want to resign with Boston and would have signed with Philadelphia, even if the Red Sox had offered him  the same or more than Philly is paying him.  Considering how bad the Red Sox were this season, I don't think Papelbon would have made much of a difference.  We might have won a few more games, but one player couldn't have made us a playoff team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I like Papelbon and would have loved to have him back, but not at the price it would have cost.   I think big contracts are a bad idea in general.  I think big contracts to relief pitchers are a very bad idea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If these playoffs have shown nothing else, they show that closers are overrated and not necessary to winning ballgames.

They have only emerged because someone believed that starting pitchers have to be protected by limiting their pitch count. Two complete games and two blown saves has to tell you something.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

IN A HEART BEAT HE WOULD IMMEDIATELY FIX THE BACK END OF THE BP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Given the money owed to Lee, Halladay, Hamels, Howard, Utley and Rollins, dealing Papelbon won't make a significant difference for Philadelphia.

Expect them to try and compete in 2013.  Their window to win it all opens widest while they still have Halladay...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

Lol? Yes the Phillies need to free up salary hence the reason there are rumors they could be looking to move Cliff Lee this offseason.

And there is your salary.

Why don't you go over to www.cartoonnetowk.com?

Learn to spell Network next time please, and try and come up with a more structured comment and not just random statements thank you.

As far as Paplebons velocity drop maybe that is a warning sign. He does need to learn how to pitch, however I think Paplebon could do it because I always thought he had good secondary stuff, especially for a closer. All he would have to do is learn how to use it more often and efficiently. I would still put Paps in the top 5 best closers in the game at the moment. I'm not going to get into top 3 or 2 or anything like that I'll just leave it at top 5.

Sections
Shortcuts