Time to Change Lead-Off Hitter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Time to Change Lead-Off Hitter

So the square peg going into a round hole---just doesn't work.

Betts and JBJ similar players in CF. JF has pretty much kept Betts in CF not much time in LF or RF. No opportunities in the Inf. Betts will be here or JBJ will be here or Castillo will play CF.

With that kind of confidence I would say Betts has a higher ceiling and will be traded unless the Sox got the best possible return for Pedroia and made a Mankins deal that shocked the baseball world.

I want to see how Betts responds to batting 1st in the lineup..he has been a leadoff guy at least at AA and AAA and has been extremely successful. He makes things happen. For a 21 year old to have that kind of confidence shows the potential leadership skills you want and that we've seen in Pedroia.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

One game doesn't make a season but I think Mookie can breathe again after being resurrected from the lower third of the order to lead-off. This is his natural spot-this is where he belongs.

When will the WMB experiment come to an end BenC and JF? I will grant anyone that Will is playing some spectacular 3 B however there are great defenders that can also hit .240. This is truly an embarrassment to trot him out there every day to exhibit his futility at the plate. I'll agree Cecchini is batting .240 to .250 but he is making contact. 

You can't hide WMB and Xander any longer---send them someplace to learn the strike zone. 7 and 8 in the order so we have at least a shot at scoring a run with Vaz batting 9th.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Sooooooo.......what you're saying that Brock Holt isn't who you THOUGHT he was???? 

Can we please stop all of this nonsense of taking a young kid, moving him everywhere and batting him everywhere in the lineup?????  I swear....the people running the Sox Minor League system is screwing these kids up.  Half of them shouldn't even be playing in the Bigs yet.....and that includes Xander!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Betts and JBJ similar players in CF. JF has pretty much kept Betts in CF not much time in LF or RF. No opportunities in the Inf. Betts will be here or JBJ will be here or Castillo will play CF.

With that kind of confidence I would say Betts has a higher ceiling and will be traded unless the Sox got the best possible return for Pedroia and made a Mankins deal that shocked the baseball world.

I want to see how Betts responds to batting 1st in the lineup..he has been a leadoff guy at least at AA and AAA and has been extremely successful. He makes things happen. For a 21 year old to have that kind of confidence shows the potential leadership skills you want and that we've seen in Pedroia.

[/QUOTE]

First of all, there is tear and wear on Holt due he is playing his full first season as a major league player as well he is batting lead off.  That is alot of pressure on him.  By playing next year again as another full major league season will give him more confidence as a lead off hitter if Boston decided to keep him.  

Cant just move players around base on one week for any player.  Boston need as many players who can stay at one position at the same time to be able to play full season.  Yes Bett is looking good as a CF.  No one saw it coming.  But he is still a young kid and Boston can afford putting him back at AAA for another season until someone get hurt like Victorino or Pedy.  I rather to keep him than Bradley!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First of all, there is tear and wear on Holt due he is playing his full first season as a major league player as well he is batting lead off.  That is alot of pressure on him.  By playing next year again as another full major league season will give him more confidence as a lead off hitter if Boston decided to keep him.  

Cant just move players around base on one week for any player.  Boston need as many players who can stay at one position at the same time to be able to play full season.  Yes Bett is looking good as a CF.  No one saw it coming.  But he is still a young kid and Boston can afford putting him back at AAA for another season until someone get hurt like Victorino or Pedy.  I rather to keep him than Bradley!!!

[/QUOTE]

Beg your pardon (no-one saw it coming?), I did. And further, I think Holt will do even better when he's down there about 6 or 7. He'll be a little more aggressive early in the count, especially with men on base. Castillo will change the equation when he gets there in the middle of the month with only a couple of weeks to go.

Betts, eventually, will be a No. 3 hitter. No one on this team has his "eye" at the plate. Doesn't mean he won't guess now and then, and flail away at a good splitter in the dirt, (usually for strike 3) but overall, he has relatively few hard, check, swings, I can see (this all depends on Castillo), a Castillo, Pedroia, Betts, Ortiz, Espedes, Holt, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Vazquez lineup sometime before the end of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sooooooo.......what you're saying that Brock Holt isn't who you THOUGHT he was???? 

Can we please stop all of this nonsense of taking a young kid, moving him everywhere and batting him everywhere in the lineup?????  I swear....the people running the Sox Minor League system is screwing these kids up.  Half of them shouldn't even be playing in the Bigs yet.....and that includes Xander!! 

[/QUOTE]

So who's perfect? They got it wrong on both Bogaerts and Bradley, but got it right on Mookie Betts.  I guess that's probably about the average formost of the clubs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So who's perfect? They got it wrong on both Bogaerts and Bradley, but got it right on Mookie Betts.  I guess that's probably about the average formost of the clubs.

[/QUOTE]

Betts sample size is too small to say 'they got it right'.

And to answer your question..... I'm perfect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

guy goes into a mini slump and its panic time, and we have to change our leadoff hitter?  Sorry. some need to exhibit more patience. That is exactly how NOT to manage a lineup. Baseball players (the real good ones) only fail 70% of the time. Holt has been around 290-300 most of the season. Thats a very good MLB hitter.

The last four games before last night Holt was 6-19 with 7 runs scored and you want to take him out of the leadoff spot?? Sorry, just another over reaction to a bad game. Why switch Mookie when hes doing fine where hes at? Were not trying to win a WS this year so theres no need to put any pressure on a 21 yo kid. Dont over think things at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Betts has a better eye at the plate. That's obvious. Also, Castillo is going to move into the lead-off spot soon, if not immediately, after he shows up. Betts will probably move to the middle of the pack as will Holt. Eventually, I see Betts as the No. 3 hitter in 2015, with Holt about No. 6. Nobody is goig to nudge Pedroia out of the 2 slot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

guy goes into a mini slump and its panic time, and we have to change our leadoff hitter?  Sorry. some need to exhibit more patience. That is exactly how NOT to manage a lineup. Baseball players (the real good ones) only fail 70% of the time. Holt has been around 290-300 most of the season. Thats a very good MLB hitter.

The last four games before last night Holt was 6-19 with 7 runs scored and you want to take him out of the leadoff spot?? Sorry, just another over reaction to a bad game. Why switch Mookie when hes doing fine where hes at? Were not trying to win a WS this year so theres no need to put any pressure on a 21 yo kid. Dont over think things at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Betts has a better eye at the plate. That's obvious. Also, Castillo is going to move into the lead-off spot soon, if not immediately, after he shows up. Betts will probably move to the middle of the pack as will Holt. Eventually, I see Betts as the No. 3 hitter in 2015, with Holt about No. 6. Nobody is goig to nudge Pedroia out of the 2 slot.

[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge Betts fan.......but I doubt he will be with the team next year.  They are VERY crowded in the OF and he is one of a handful of chips that can be traded and get something meaningful in return.  I'm thinking the Phils would LOVE to get Betts in a trade for Hamels.  Betts at 2B with Utley moving to 1st and the Sox picking up a lot of Howards contract along with Hamels..... Mark it down!!!!  My perfection streak will continue!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillyKlaus. Show BillyKlaus's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the winter following 2012, the sentiment was that we missed an opportunity to trade Iglesias since he would never amount to anything.  By May of 2013, the sentiment was that Iglesias should start and Drew be traded.

In pre-season 2013, the sentiment was that Ellsbury should be traded before he played out his option, and that JBJ should be starting, since JBJ was obviously ready.

And in pre-season 2014, signing Drew was out of the question since Bogaerts was clearly ready.

When WMB got hurt, we didn't need Drew because Holt was a rising star.

This thread is has been re-hashed a dozen times, only with different names.  Give it time.

[/QUOTE]

Let's face it. We're all as clueless as some people think John Farrell is.  We just aren't held as accountable as he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to BillyKlaus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the winter following 2012, the sentiment was that we missed an opportunity to trade Iglesias since he would never amount to anything.  By May of 2013, the sentiment was that Iglesias should start and Drew be traded.

In pre-season 2013, the sentiment was that Ellsbury should be traded before he played out his option, and that JBJ should be starting, since JBJ was obviously ready.

And in pre-season 2014, signing Drew was out of the question since Bogaerts was clearly ready.

When WMB got hurt, we didn't need Drew because Holt was a rising star.

This thread is has been re-hashed a dozen times, only with different names.  Give it time.

[/QUOTE]

Let's face it. We're all as clueless as some people think John Farrell is.  We just aren't held as accountable as he is.

[/QUOTE]

Nor paid as well. Btw, Farrell is clueless, but he'll be back next year because the SOX FO is also clueless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Betts sample size is too small to say 'they got it right'.

And to answer your question..... I'm perfect.

[/QUOTE]

There's an old saying, "The trend's your friend". Try going back to Mookie's first year of organized baseball. Pull up stats that are NOT small samples, and see where the progression line goes. Through the roof! This small sample is worth even more than the AAA samples. because many people conveniently forget that Betts is not even 22 years old! Take a look in the future ans see a guy with 2 more years of experience, 15 pounds heavier, no speed loss, and what are you looking at: a right handed Yaz; a little different build, but similar hitting talents --with speed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I would put Betts lead-off too. Nothing to lose good time to see what he's got in that role. I want the guy with more speed leading off, makes rest of line-up better. #2 Batter gets to see more Fastballs, helps him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would put Betts lead-off too. Nothing to lose good time to see what he's got in that role. I want the guy with more speed leading off, makes rest of line-up better. #2 Batter gets to see more Fastballs, helps him.

[/QUOTE]

Putting Betts at lead-off at this point and forward s/b a no-brainer. I think even Farrell can see the logic of it, but I wouldn't bet too much money on that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bett's is an ideal lead-off guy--Ellsbury speed, get's pitchers concerned about him. Mookie is a smarter hitter than Xander and JBJ. I think the ideal top of the order would be Mookie, Brock and Pedroia or Cespy. I'm not a big Nap fan in fact if the Sox put a deal together for Hamels and Howard with Howard platooning with Craig and Nap moving to Philly it works for me.  If we are taking on payroll no Betts no Xander.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Holt was more aggressive when he was down in the order? When was that? He's batted lead off almost his entire time up here. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Tuesday vs Yankees. Back to L-R-L-R; good for Betts, not so much for Holt

1) Betts gets to watch 5 or 6 pitches before he gets in the box, and

2) Ortiz bats after Betts, so Betts sees better pitches.

IMO they should have continued with the LR by switching Nava And Napoli (at least against RH pitching)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Over the last 10 games,

Pedroia ---2 walks, 9 strikeouts

Holt-------4 walks, 11 strikeouts

Betts------8 walks, 4 strikeouts

The last 6 at batss for Betts, when leading off or hitting second, after a Middlebrooks lead-off strikeout, Mookie has reached base: single, double, HR and 3 BB.  Time to change lead-off hitters. AND, Holt was more aggressive when he was down in the order!

[/QUOTE]

Pede will be the first to admit he hates the leadoff spot and Holt has been the only shining light in the position this season so cut him some slack.  I think Betts and Castillo will both be capable at some point if Mookie doesn't get traded to land a big fish.

[/QUOTE]
    mooie untradeable! methinks its Rumsey! followed by holt (perfect 2-holer).. talk about "speed" at top of lineup.. pedy will sink to 6 or 7 hole!

[object HTMLDivElement]