Time to change the batting order

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Time to change the batting order

I know they're on a roll so it would seem like a dumb thing to do, but I'd like to see them start moving Middlebrooks up in the order.  He's obviously not a 9th batter.  For me by the postseason it would be good to have him in the 5 or 6 slot if he's still hitting.  I think it would be best to do this gradually, maybe find a way to put him in the 7 slot for a little while.  Something like 5-Napoli, 6-Drew, 7-Wil, 8-Catcher, 9-Nava.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Time to change the batting order

I know they're on a roll so it would seem like a dumb thing to do,

I understand the why

but yeah  that little voice in my head says

' if it's not broken don' fix it'

really impressive how that ball is jumping off his bat again

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm fine with whatever Farrell decides to do.  His lineups to date have produced the best offense in all of MLB.  The thing about Middlebrooks in the 9th slot is that it does give him opportunities to knock in runs, plus he is followed by the first three hitters, plus it has got to be a pain for any pitcher to finally get to the 9th guy and find out he's a stud.  Didn't Mueller bat 9th for the Sox in 2004? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

I know they're on a roll so it would seem like a dumb thing to do,

I understand the why

but yeah  that little voice in my head says

' if it's not broken don' fix it'

really impressive how that ball is jumping off his bat again

I totally agree....one, there is no need to put any pressure back on Will.....he is doing just fine where he is and two,  this isnt your typical # 9 slot.....even in the 9 hole Will is going to come up with alot of guys on base.....and then he rolls the lineup over to a terrfic top of the order who can alos drive in runs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The way WMB is making contact to left but more importantly to the RCField gap he would provide the needed protection for Ortiz. Nava will hit the singles and doubles but having the power to keep the opposing pitcher from walking Ortiz and Nava, like Girardi did last night, to get to Nap.

greenwell and tomnev--I can see your point about doing it gradually but in my estimation I think JF should do it while WMB's confidence is high and while he still represents a threat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am fine with your hypothetical Greenwell.  Looks very good to me.  The thing is, at this moment in time, with Middlebrooks and Drew hitting, I really have no issue with any way the line-up could be shuffled.  As long as there is a speed/OBP guy at the top, you could throw the names in a hat and however they come out, it pretty much spells nightmare for opposing pitching.  Just non-stop pressure, no matter who is where.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm OK with him batting 9th,but he sure would look good providing some protection for Ortiz.If  Middlebrooks was hitting 5th,Papi would be seeing better pitches to hit and getting less intentional walks.

Will's got good pop in his bat and since he's come back from the farm,he's hitting .361.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Leave all as is please.  Just maybe Will is super comfortable in that 9 slot.  Must be an awful feeling right now for pitchers to see him come up to the plate and realize what spot in the order it is. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I definitely agree that with this team it's not your normal 9 slot.  He gets plenty of opportunities.  For me it's almost as much about getting Nava out of the 5 slot.  He's been great, but not enough pop to protect Ortiz.  Also, even though Nava's a switch hitter, with his splits he might as well be a lefty.  I'd rather have a righty behind Ortiz.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts