Time to cut bait

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Time to cut bait

Ben C. has serious work ahead which could set Sox up for success in 2013 or 2014.
    In case anyone hasn't noticed Josh Reddick with 24 has hit exactly two fewer home runs than ALL SOX OUTFIELDERS IN 2012 TOTAL ( 26 ).

This may indicate something about the quality of our prospects in the system. I believe with the Mets needing bullpen help, and Washington needing starting pitching plus a catcher, and so many other teams seeking reinforcements for playoff pushes, we should be dealing anything and anyone not in our long term plans.
    Maybe Beckett and Shoppach to Nationals ?  Cook, Aviles, Albers, Miller, Melancon, Sweeney , Punto, Lars Anderson, etc.etc. ? Matsuzaka to Texas Rangers ? Jon Lester to Chicago for Jose Quintana and Pedro Hernandez ?
    Either sign Ross to a three year extension or trade him ? Judicious trades of these above plus blocked prospects could net two or three high A or even AA pitching prospects, or better in some cases.
    Send Crawford for his surgery, trade Aviles and Shoppach, and bring up some kids. Lavarnway, Iglesias, , Kalish, even J.C. Linares could all be getting valuable on -job training, experience, and evaluation for the future.

What's the worst that could happen ? Finish 81-81 ? Looks like that anyway.
    Why not lower payroll slightly and stock the pitching pond with fish ?
    Matt Barnes , Drake Britton , Pimental and Henry Owens are all two years away at least. Celestino, Noe Ramirez and M. Pena probably three. Zach Stewart and Franklin Morales ? Ready now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Time to cut bait

In Response to Time to cut bait:
    Ben C. has serious work ahead which could set Sox up for success in 2013 or 2014. In case anyone hasn't noticed Josh Reddick with 24 has hit exactly two fewer home runs than ALL SOX OUTFIELDERS IN 2012 TOTAL ( 26 ). This may indicate something about the quality of our prospects in the system. I believe with the Mets needing bullpen help, and Washington needing starting pitching plus a catcher, and so many other teams seeking reinforcements for playoff pushes, we should be dealing anything and anyone not in our long term plans. Maybe Beckett and Shoppach to Nationals ?  Cook, Aviles, Albers, Miller, Melancon, Sweeney , Punto, Lars Anderson, etc.etc. ? Matsuzaka to Texas Rangers ? Jon Lester to Chicago for Jose Quintana and Pedro Hernandez ? Either sign Ross to a three year extension or trade him ? Judicious trades of these above plus blocked prospects could net two or three high A or even AA pitching prospects, or better in some cases. Send Crawford for his surgery, trade Aviles and Shoppach, and bring up some kids. Lavarnway, Iglesias, , Kalish, even J.C. Linares could all be getting valuable on -job training, experience, and evaluation for the future. What's the worst that could happen ? Finish 81-81 ? Looks like that anyway. Why not lower payroll slightly and stock the pitching pond with fish ? Matt Barnes , Drake Britton , Pimental and Henry Owens are all two years away at least. Celestino, Noe Ramirez and M. Pena probably three. Zach Stewart and Franklin Morales ? Ready now.
    Posted by jimedfred
    This is why I always read your posts, even when you start going off about economics. You're a move ahead of me as always. What do you think about Drew Pomeranz and Dan Strailly?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut bait:
    In Response to Time to cut bait : This is why I always read your posts, even when you start going off about economics. You're a move ahead of me as always. What do you think about Drew Pomeranz and Dan Strailly?
    Posted by carnie

Love them both .Something about 23 year old righthanders with W.H.I.P.'s under 1.000 that I kind of like. A bit wary on trading with Oakland now though, LOL. Straily with one L  btw.

After paying a high price  for Pomeranz and given the success of ex-Rockie pitchers in Boston , Colorado may be leery of us.....plus I have no idea what they'd want, seems they're in same boat we are.
    But definitely we agree on the direction.  Now about that supply side / low tax / business and hiring - friendly / encouragement of capital formation thing......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut bait : Love them both .Something about 23 year old righthanders with W.H.I.P.'s under 1.000 that I kind of like. A bit wary on trading with Oakland now though, LOL. Straily with one L  btw. After paying a high price  for Pomeranz and given the success of ex-Rockie pitchers in Boston , Colorado may be leery of us.....plus I have no idea what they'd want, seems they're in same boat we are. But definitely we agree on the direction.  Now about that supply side / low tax / business and hiring - friendly / encouragement of capital formation thing......
    Posted by jimedfred
    A couple of other guys I like are Daniel Corcino and Martin Perez. As far as the economics goes I'm a communist and you're a capitalist so best not go there if we're to stay friends. And don't even get me started about Stalin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Hey   , I studied Lenin and Marx,.......but much preferred listening to / watching Lennon and Marx ( Groucho).
     I suspect that I'm more learned in actual Marxist theory than most seen on MSNBC, for that matter. No offense here , moving on.

Saw movie " The Rock "last night, was actually thinking about you. Had an aunt lived a bit south of you, Mapache Drive down in Portola Valley...next door to Tennessee Ernie Ford.She passed on about 15 years ago, had offered to finance education if I went to Stanford.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Hey   , I studied Lenin and Marx,.......but much preferred listening to / watching Lennon and Marx ( Groucho).  I suspect that I'm more learned in actual Marxist theory than most seen on MSNBC, for that matter. No offense here , moving on. Saw movie " The Rock "last night, was actually thinking about you. Had an aunt lived a bit south of you, Mapache Drive down in Portola Valley...next door to Tennessee Ernie Ford.She passed on about 15 years ago, had offered to finance education if I went to Stanford.
    Posted by jimedfred
    And you didn't bite? Who are you, Will Hunting? Anyway, I agree about the current state of our Sox. I think we need to go after strong minor league arms unless we can somehow get enough top 50 prospects at the deadline to pry Felix Hernandez loose from the M's. I've also read Marx and Lenin as well as Engels, altough I have to say that everyone but Marx is a bit derivative and quite off in their analysis. My main economic inspiration comes from Peter Kropotkin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Not ever going to get King Felix.....Seattle repeatedly denies willingness to trade him.
    For 2013 I could live with rotation of Buchholz-Morales-Doubront-Lackey- one of  Mortensen/ Ohlendorf / Zach Stewart.......IF we had sufficient real prospects in AA and AAA competing for 2014 spots in bigs.
    Make balance of 2012 and 2013 real Bridge Years, and could be set to dominate for a long time. Middlebrooks-Iglesias or Marrero-Bogaerts-Pedroia-Gonzo-Lavarnway-Kalish-Bradley a pretty good sounding nucleus.

Recent articles read on other sites suggested P Owens has highest potenial upside of all current pitchers, even Barnes. Another place suggested Bogaerts as a second baseman, allowing us to ( perish the thought ) move Dustin Pedroia.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Not ever going to get King Felix.....Seattle repeatedly denies willingness to trade him. For 2013 I could live with rotation of Buchholz-Morales-Doubront-Lackey- one of  Mortensen/ Ohlendorf / Zach Stewart.......IF we had sufficient real prospects in AA and AAA competing for 2014 spots in bigs. Make balance of 2012 and 2013 real Bridge Years, and could be set to dominate for a long time. Middlebrooks-Iglesias or Marrero-Bogaerts-Pedroia-Gonzo-Lavarnway-Kalish-Bradley a pretty good sounding nucleus. Recent articles read on other sites suggested P Owens has highest potenial upside of all current pitchers, even Barnes. Another place suggested Bogaerts as a second baseman, allowing us to ( perish the thought ) move Dustin Pedroia.
    Posted by jimedfred
    I kind of like Bogaerts in Left, I think he has the bat for it. I think an outfield of Bogaerts, Bradley and Linares could be pretty good. I also like an infield of Middlebrooks, Marrero, Pedroia and Gonzalez.  Marrero in particular looks like a guy who could come up as fast as Pedroia or Ellsbury. I'm thinking all our catchers are placeholders until Swihart is ready. I like both Barnes and Owens a lot. Owens has the highest K/9 in MiLB doesn't he? But neither looks to be ready next year. Corcino looks like a guy who could make the jump from AA to the bigs successfully.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

"Time to cut bait / baiting". Wasn't that the last post of Babe from Fort Lauderdale before he left the forum a few months ago? Or was it Gickchum - I also get those two mixed up.
    Posted by Calzone65
    And here we were talking about baseball. Foolish children...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut bait : But the problem is that you never scolded Babe for ruining the forum while he was here. He was troll #1 and you never said a word about it. Babe ruined every baseball discussion by irritating, annoying, and inflaming. You were here.
    Posted by Calzone65
    Because he was funny. You're not. Now, could we please get back to baseball?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut bait : Trolls are funny. Those who try to annoy and irritate RS fans are "funny?" Apparently you come here for weird reasons. Do you go to Church to hear a heathen preach? Why come to a RS Forum to hear anti-Sox fans troll. I don't get it, please explain?
    Posted by Calzone65
    I don't go to church because I hate group think. Do I like to laugh? Guilty as charged. The thing about you pike, is I've never read a single post by you that was about baseball. Babe may have been a Yanquis fan that was only trying to get a rise but he was at least inventive about it. Unlike you, who has never had an original thought in his head as far as I can tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut bait : I kind of like Bogaerts in Left, I think he has the bat for it. I think an outfield of Bogaerts, Bradley and Linares could be pretty good. I also like an infield of Middlebrooks, Marrero, Pedroia and Gonzalez.  Marrero in particular looks like a guy who could come up as fast as Pedroia or Ellsbury. I'm thinking all our catchers are placeholders until Swihart is ready. I like both Barnes and Owens a lot. Owens has the highest K/9 in MiLB doesn't he? But neither looks to be ready next year. Corcino looks like a guy who could make the jump from AA to the bigs successfully.
    Posted by carnie

If Bogaerts ends up hitting like we think ( and he profiles to ) he can play just about anywhere. Crawford looks to be stuck in left field for a long long time. Early reports on Marrero very positive, but don't forget Jose Iglesias. And yes, Swihart could pan out well, but a long ways out while Ryan L. very close now.

Calzone , does it ever enter your mind that maybe we just ignore trolls and idiots and prefer to discuss baseball ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut bait : If Bogaerts ends up hitting like we think ( and he profiles to ) he can play just abou anywhere. Crawford looks to be stuck in left field for a long long time. Early reports on Marrero very positive, but don't forget Jose Iglesias. And yes, Swihart could pan out well, but a long ways out while Ryan L. very close now. Calzone , does it ever enter your mind that maybe we just ignore trolls and idiots and prefer to discuss baseball ?
    Posted by jimedfred
    Lavarnaway's another guy I like too. He doesn't profile like Fisk, but he looks a lot like Piazza. Obviously that's the best case...

Sections
Shortcuts