Time to man up, Experts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Time to man up, Experts

A nod to ADG for getting me started with his DOPE string ...

and this is almost word for word in that string from me.

Really, that Fancoma stuff is so boring. 

Got an assignment.  Hard, hard work.

Get out your mamangerial histories, and I know some of you have them because you tell us all the time.

Post them, W-L, competition level, AND THE COMPLAINTS OF THOSE WHO DISAGREED WITH YOU ALONG THE WAY.  And I know there are those folks too.

I helped start the booster club for our JV/Varsity Soccer about 14 years ago, was an unpaid parent aide at each practice for two seasons, which I loved, not a sacrifice at all, but I got the coach's side of things and every parent who was a soccer know-sumthing, too.

That coach never made one right call.  Not one.  According to the experts in the stands.  Some of them listened to their kids - the same kids that would not put out in practice like they should.  Some of them coched children's teams in the community, so they knew better.  Some of them had phenom kids for players, so they knew better.

I never understood how the parents could be so crass, hateful and negative - and some of them go to work with the guy the next day (teachers) and act like the whole thing didn't happen.  

I wanna hear it from you experts.

Not just what you know, but what other people know you don't know.  I want to hear the carp people said about you.  

That's the hard part of the assignment. 

What?

You didn't keep record of that?

And here we are, keeping record of all our expertese with this dope who has led this unbelievably hard sports town with their peerless negative wisdom (I say that because when things go well, YOU NEVER GIVE HIM ANY CREDIT) ... for all the word to see and only the mods to erase ...

So,

let's be honest.  Give us your  - NO, NOT YOUR OPINION, WE KNOW THAT ALREADY - opposing opinions.

Can ya man up?

Huh? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: Time to man up, Experts

In Response to Time to man up, Experts:
    [QUOTE]A nod to ADG for getting me started with his DOPE string ...   and this is almost word for word in that string from me. Really, that Fancoma stuff is so boring.       Got an assignment.  Hard, hard work.    Get out your mamangerial histories, and I know some of you have them because you tell us all the time.    Post them, W-L, competition level, AND THE COMPLAINTS OF THOSE WHO DISAGREED WITH YOU ALONG THE WAY.  And I know there are those folks too.   I helped start the booster club for our JV/Varsity Soccer about 14 years ago, was an unpaid parent aide at each practice for two seasons, which I loved, not a sacrifice at all, but I got the coach's side of things and every parent who was a soccer know-sumthing, too.   That coach never made one right call.  Not one.  According to the experts in the stands.  Some of them listened to their kids - the same kids that would not put out in practice like they should.  Some of them coched children's teams in the community, so they knew better.  Some of them had phenom kids for players, so they knew better.   I never understood how the parents could be so crass, hateful and negative - and some of them go to work with the guy the next day (teachers) and act like the whole thing didn't happen.     I wanna hear it from you experts.    Not just what you know, but what other people know you don't know.  I want to hear the carp people said about you.      That's the hard part of the assignment.          What?     You didn't keep record of that?      And here we are, keeping record of all our expertese with this dope who has led this unbelievably hard sports town with their peerless negative wisdom (I say that because when things go well, YOU NEVER GIVE HIM ANY CREDIT) ... for all the word to see and only the mods to erase ...     So,     let's be honest.  Give us your  - NO, NOT YOUR OPINION, WE KNOW THAT ALREADY - opposing opinions.     Can ya man up?     Huh? 
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Had to laugh Yaz. I was one of those parents, see I played a little basketball, baseball and coached some too. Coached my kid in basketball for a few years, great times. When he moved up to the next level I watched with amazement, and credulity at the coach's practices. He kept trying to run an offensive set from the LH side of the court, the kids being predominately RH, would execute all the way to the point of driving in for the lay-up, which they couldn't do left handed. I mentioned it to the coach, lo-and behold, two weeks later he started running it from the RH side and it was lay-up city! Too bad he waited two weeks!! The coaches always wanted to put my kid in at center bc he was the tallest(just barely), yet he had a exceptional wingspan, very good ball handling skills and an eye for passing, I always used him at guard on defense, he would harass and control the other teams ballhandlers, so we excelled at mid court turnovers transitioned to lay-ups. Finally after much prodding by me, they slotted him at guard and let the stronger kids handle the middle...complete turn around! Half the time the opponent couldn't foray much past mid court and if they did, we had two wide bodies to box them out, completely different team. Meanwhile the father of another very skilled but smallish player anguished on the bleachers next to me as they used an out of control dribble freak to bring the ball up court, he was a former coach and just wouldn't lobby for his kid...his loyalty was to the coaching profession and not to his kid or the team, his son was definitely a  better player and helped the team more when he played, which wasn't much.
     The High School I went to had a long serving basketball coach, when he retired the named the gym after him, one year his overmatched team made a furious comeback in the closing 2 minutes, coming all the way back within one point, a turnover gave them the ball under their own basket with two seconds left, the last shot was taken by the low scoring center, he missed, they lost. The coach admitted they didn't have a set go-to play!! The ball was inbounded by the guy who just hit a three pointer to close the gap, so he was automatically eliminated from the play, the defense focused on the other scoring threat with double coverage, and the stiff was left wide open. The dumb coach blew it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Coached high school ball for 30 years; God knows how many years of American Legion ball.  The few years of coaching my kids in Little League were the worst.  Everybody thought they knew something and of course the main concern was their kid(rightfully so) not baseball. If you coach, you'll be second-guessed; it's the nature of the beast.  We should appreciate them more though.  I wrote a blog entry that Francona should never be fired because of the 2 titles he brought to Boston.  That being said, I can still be very critical of him at times - his bullpen moves, and stubborn adherence to certain players despite the situation.  I know I've been right in certain situations, but one time i was definitely wrong was the use of Mark Bellhorn.  All of his K's drove me crazy; I never would have stuck with him.  Terry did and Bellhorn helped us have the greatest comeback ever against the most vile team ever and finally end the drought and win a championship. OP was correct; we should see both sides of the situation and I have been as guilty as anyone of not doing this.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Players play, coaches coach, managers manage, umpires ump...while fans root for the home team....That's how it works...

Manager's never get much credit when you're team wins, and way too much is placed on them when the team losses...Second guessing the manager and the umpires in game decisions is a birthright bestowed on every fan, time honored tradition...right or wrong that is how it's always been and will always be...

Francona get's it...What we the fans often don't understand is the why of his pregame and in game personel moves...He manages the team with the end in mind and most of his pitching decision are based on availabity, the score and inning...everyone in the pen has role and when the phone the rings in the 7th and we're up by 1...The guys in the pen already know who's name will be called because before the game even begins Young and Francona go over the game plan of who's availble and for how long and then Young and Tuck make sure the guys are ready when the phone rings...

Then once the call to the pen is made (like Bard last night and Aceves the night before)...it's their job to get guys out! If they both had done their jobs...we'd have won at least 3 of the 10 we've lost in the last 2 weeks...So is that poor management of the bullpen or poor execution by the pitchers...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we watched any team all year, we'd see "mistakes" everyday. It's the nature of the game: second-guessing. I try to stay away from game-by-game managerial criticism. Managers have to mix things up, so as not to be too predictable, but when they do and it fails, they are easily bashed. 

I have basic philosophical differences with Tito, but never pretend to be better than him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Guys,

I appreciate your input.

I coached from 1980 to 2006 as a professional.  I coached from 1972 to 1980 on assistant and learning levels.

Not baseball, but it was still coaching.

Teaching, fundamentals, higher skills, recovery and rehabilitation ....

Individual coaching and also summer camps, weekend retreats, and conventions ...

I almost always started with a 100% ratings approval.  Until folks figured out that the coaching INCLUDED THEM ... then it often fell off.  But only once did it drop below 78%. 

I lost a few, those who wouldn't be coached.  I won a few, those that were eager to be coached.

These are scary days.

I don't mean the Sox sliding.

I mean terrorists and wild weather ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I was reading an article in a local paper out here in Southern California about my favorite manager, Mike Scioscia.  He has faced the same things as Francona has faced, weak bullpen, injuries, veterans not earning their keep, and injuries to his rotation, but he has his team in the thick of things in the AL West.  We suffer an injury and it seems the team just starts reeling, and why is it the last three seasons our team has looked like a MASH unit?  Our medical staff has come under fire, and maybe the players don't work extra hard in the off season, possibly we are entering another snake-bitten era.  Well h@ll, it could be a lot of things.  One thing about Francona....he is stubborn to a fault and he does makes strategical blunders too many times, some of them the same kind over and over again.  Another thing is that he does not surround himself with good baseball people to help him out.  Scioscia had Joe Madden, Ron Roenicke, and Bud Black as coaches and they have all had their share of success.  It seems like none of Francona's help ever get a managing job and when one does like Brad Mills he flops badly on the job and is most likely on his way out this fall and maybe back to Boston as a Francona crony.  I have never been a Francona man.  He is too predictable what with his station-to-station mantra, his refusal to move his runners very often, his reluctance to bunt while we lead the league in hitting into double plays way too often.

This is now the torture test for Tito.  I want to see if he does has the quality of grit and toughness to rally the team out of his miserable funk they are in.  When he was hired the one thing Henry and Company asked was whether this guy was tough enough to handle Boston.  Yes as far as  the press was concerned.  As for being rough on the players when necessary, I have deep doubts about that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

http://www.talksox.com/forum/fights-crap-archive/9803-seabeachfred-now-rockies-fan.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thesoftlaw. Show thesoftlaw's posts

sea, your best post ever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Personal Data"I'm a retired teacher from Arcadia, CA. My wife and I are fans of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Vlad Guerrero!"
    Member Name: seabeachfred
    Hometown: Arcadia
    Home State: CA
    IM Contact: seabeachfred (Yahoo!)
    Interests: Subways, history, ice cream, and baseball forums.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene-. Show Bad-Scene-'s posts

In Response to Re: Time to man up, Experts:
    [QUOTE]Personal Data"I'm a retired teacher from Arcadia, CA. My wife and I are fans of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Vlad Guerrero!" Member Name: seabeachfred Member Since: August, 2007 Hometown: Arcadia Home State: CA IM Contact: seabeachfred (Yahoo!) Occupation: Retired teacher Interests: Subways, history, ice cream, and baseball forums.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

Is this baseball related?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]I was reading an article in a local paper out here in Southern California about my favorite manager, Mike Scioscia.  He has faced the same things as Francona has faced, weak bullpen, injuries, veterans not earning their keep, and injuries to his rotation, but he has his team in the thick of things in the AL West.  We suffer an injury and it seems the team just starts reeling, and why is it the last three seasons our team has looked like a MASH unit?  Our medical staff has come under fire, and maybe the players don't work extra hard in the off season, possibly we are entering another snake-bitten era.  Well h@ll, it could be a lot of things.  One thing about Francona....he is stubborn to a fault and he does makes strategical blunders too many times, some of them the same kind over and over again.  Another thing is that he does not surround himself with good baseball people to help him out.  Scioscia had Joe Madden, Ron Roenicke, and Bud Black as coaches and they have all had their share of success.  It seems like none of Francona's help ever get a managing job and when one does like Brad Mills he flops badly on the job and is most likely on his way out this fall and maybe back to Boston as a Francona crony.  I have never been a Francona man.  He is too predictable what with his station-to-station mantra, his refusal to move his runners very often, his reluctance to bunt while we lead the league in hitting into double plays way too often. This is now the torture test for Tito.  I want to see if he does has the quality of grit and toughness to rally the team out of his miserable funk they are in.  When he was hired the one thing Henry and Company asked was whether this guy was tough enough to handle Boston.  Yes as far as  the press was concerned.  As for being rough on the players when necessary, I have deep doubts about that.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

Personal Data"I'm a retired teacher from Arcadia, CA. My wife and I are fans of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Vlad Guerrero!"
    Member Name: seabeachfred
    Hometown: Arcadia
    Home State: CA
    IM Contact: seabeachfred (Yahoo!)
    Interests: Subways, history, ice cream, and baseball forums.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Fred is pretending to be a concerned Red Sox fan when he is not. Such posters are called CONCERN TROLLS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene-. Show Bad-Scene-'s posts

[QUOTE]Fred is pretending to be a concerned Red Sox fan when he is not. Such posters are called CONCERN TROLLS.

You're bringing things here from an entirely different forum that are inconclusive, there could be another Fred.  Please stick to the OP.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1918Babe1918. Show 1918Babe1918's posts

I know stuff about Fred but I'll keep it under my hat. I enjoy his effect on this forum too much to ruin it for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Guys,    I appreciate your input.    ...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

PIKE yearns for ban #3. When are they gonna lock this puppet-cop up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]If we watched any team all year, we'd see "mistakes" everyday. It's the nature of the game: second-guessing. I try to stay away from game-by-game managerial criticism. Managers have to mix things up, so as not to be too predictable, but when they do and it fails, they are easily bashed.  I have basic philosophical differences with Tito, but never pretend to be better than him.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Great post Moon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bad-Scene-. Show Bad-Scene-'s posts

[QUOTE]PIKE yearns for ban #3. When are they gonna lock this  puppet-cop up.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

He's out of control.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Mike Scioscia.  He has faced the same things as Francona has faced, weak bullpen, injuries, veterans not earning their keep, and injuries to his rotation, but he has his team in the thick of things in the AL West. 

Fred, this is where you lose credibility.

Scioscia has had exactly 9 starts from his non-regular rotation.

Tito has had 49 starts from his non-regulars.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Personal Data"I'm a retired teacher from Arcadia, CA. My wife and I are fans of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Vlad Guerrero!" Member Name: seabeachfred Member Since: August, 2007 Hometown: Arcadia Home State: CA IM Contact: seabeachfred (Yahoo!) Occupation: Retired teacher Interests: Subways, history, ice cream, and baseball forums.

Fred is a diehard RS fanatic.  Emotional and no interest in numbers, but a fanatic nonetheless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Had to laugh Yaz. I was one of those parents, see I played a little basketball, baseball and coached some too. Coached my kid in basketball for a few years, great times. When he moved up to the next level I watched with amazement, and credulity at the coach's practices. He kept trying to run an offensive set from the LH side of the court, the kids being predominately RH, would execute all the way to the point of driving in for the lay-up, which they couldn't do left handed.

Not for nothing, but isn't that what you're supposed to do?  It depends on the age of course, but I would tape off the right side of the court in practice, and make them wear an oven mitt on their right hands.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

IRT the OP, I get frustrated, but it would be low class to say anything.  My rule is simple:  either coach or shut up.

My solution is to hang around a little with the coaches and kids.  If i don't like something, I'll simply mention something to the kid when the coach is occupied.  Comment on pitch selection, etc.  The kids were lousy baserunners (early age), so I made sure I walked over to the 3B before we got up, kind of informally like I was hanging out, and the regular 3B coach never came back over.  Then I got to talk to each individual kid about every possible scenario.