Time to manage our manure.... Too good an analogy to pass up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Time to manage our manure.... Too good an analogy to pass up

I was a bit tired the other day I guess ... but I found myself absolutely guffawing at the early am radio NE Farm Rreport.  I was putting the lst touches on my peanut butter cup donuts, the last of the shift ...

"September was harvest month, now in October it's time to manage your manure."

Baseball is rife with farm terminology.  But while the reality is this is a serious issue for farming ... danger hides behind all the built up gasses and such in silage and silos and other things, so apply safety was the prime message.

I still couldn't hold back as the nasally voice on the radios talked of making sure we didn't irritate the gasses by using wrong methods ... don't use power washers or the result could be explosive, don't let the gasses remain and build up either because the result could be deadly.

What a loss of natural gas ...

But our harvest this season is over and we have surely been shaking up the place ... lots of gas has escaped, a fair number of explosions as well ..

But we still need to manage our manure correctly so that next season and the next  and the next help provide better harvests ....

Some of the gas around here could still escape ... but we know it will linger in the corners and burst out from time to time.  All too often, I think.

But one of the points of the story is that EVEN AFTER A SUCCESSFUL HARVEST there will always be this dangerous gas to deal with.

We have noticed that here, haven't we?

This season wasn't all that successful, but for many seasons the harvest has been quite good.

And the gas has remained.  Actually, the gas is a natural by-product of the whole season. 

So, while we know the manure needs to be managed, I guess we will never get free of the gas.  They - uh - it will always be here, even when the harvest is the finest it can be.  The possibility is really high that the more successful a harvest, the more delicately one has to treat the manure, so the ensuing explosions are kept to a minimum, if not avoided all together.

So, I guess the gas, the manure, the process will always be among us.

Airy thought, eh?

:: :: :: :: ::

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Re: Time to manage our manure.... Too good an analogy to pass up

The manure and resulting methane gas emanates predominately from the back five acres of the Herbert Globe spread. We call that section the Dirt Dogs tract. The methane gas is so strong in that area that Sly Whipple's dad was entered into orbit after he lighted up his corncob pipe last week. They found him hanging by his suspenders on the weather vane on Clyde Monroe's barn down the road. Somebody's got to put up a sign near the Dirt Dogs area. The townfolk are downwind of it and aren't very happy. Minnie Lawson has called for a meeting at the 4H Club building at 9 pm tonight.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

h

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Time to manage our manure.... Too good an analogy to pass up:
    [QUOTE]The manure and resulting methane gas emanates predominately from the back five acres of the Herbert Globe spread. We call that section the Dirt Dogs tract. The methane gas is so strong in that area that Sly Whipple's dad was entered into orbit after he lighted up his corncob pipe last week. They found him hanging by his suspenders on the weather vane on Clyde Monroe's barn down the road. Somebody's got to put up a sign near the Dirt Dogs area. The townfolk are downwind of it and aren't very happy. Minnie Lawson has called for a meeting at the 4H Club building at 9 pm tonight.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]

Too funny!  Thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Zac,

another excellent production.

Time to pony up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nothin' like a fine pile of manure to clear the sinuses.
    Thankfully, this board has allowed me to take a breather.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Idiots .... enough said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

At least I threw you off your game, rather that waste the entire boards time by starting 5 numb-numb threads daily you're now too busy following me. Loon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Time to manage our manure.... Too good an analogy to pass up:
    [QUOTE] 
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]That was pretty funny zac.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to manage our manure.... Too good an analogy to pass up : That was pretty funny zac.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

At the risk of offending some,  a fair amount of manure posted, too.

:o)

Or was that the explosive gas ....?

GM, Carnie!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

• Keep manure away from wells and water resources (drainage ditches, ponds, streams, wetlands, areas with a high water table, etc.) Over 200 feet away is best and at least 100 feet away.
    • Locate manure storage areas downslope of wells and water resources where possible.
    • Keep as far away from property lines as possible. Some communities may have laws.
    • Consider neighbors and prevailing winds.

Contain the manure - line it, cover it, contain it. This helps to prevent water mixing in with the pile and nutrients and pathogens from being carried away in runoff.

Sections
Shortcuts