Time to move on from Jenks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Time to move on from Jenks

I'm not a fan of closers as setup men.  The Jenks experiment doesn't seem to be working very well.  Unfortunately, I believe there is another year on his contract.
    Not sure if there is a medical reason for Jenks, or if he just doesn't have it.
    Thought he was headed for the DL again according to Boston.com stat page for him (June 29th)
    http://stats.boston.com/mlb/playerstats.asp?id=7285&fn=Bobby&ln=Jenks&tm=02&p=T
    but he pitched yesterday...

Thoughts....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Time to move on from Jenks

One good game, one bad since coming off the DL..He really hasnt pitched enough this year for me to even really have an opinion..That in and of itself is problematic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

ANOTHER GREAT SIGNING BY THE BOY WOUNDER !! TELL ME HOW THIS GUY STILL HAS A JOB !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The verdict is still out on Jenks, but so far it has been mediocre at best when hes not on the DL..If jenks can put together a solid second half, hes worth the 6mil IMO..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Time to move on from Jenks:
    I'm not a fan of closers as setup men.  The Jenks experiment doesn't seem to be working very well.  Unfortunately, I believe there is another year on his contract. Not sure if there is a medical reason for Jenks, or if he just doesn't have it. Thought he was headed for the DL again according to Boston.com stat page for him (June 29th) http://stats.boston.com/mlb/playerstats.asp?id=7285&fn=Bobby&ln=Jenks&tm=02&p=T but he pitched yesterday... Thoughts....
    Posted by Koolga

Jenks seems to be an injury prone waste of salary.  Hopefully I'm wrong and he can help us down the stretch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee--yazzer. Show thee--yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Time to move on from Jenks:
    ANOTHER GREAT SIGNING BY THE BOY WOUNDER !! TELL ME HOW THIS GUY STILL HAS A JOB !
    Posted by ncsoxfan4life

he was adopted by john henry a few years ago. i can't think of any other reason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Bobby just yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Theo need to call the Brewers on the availability of Kameron Loe. Having a good year, will do what Jenks should be doing. His salary this year 1.25 million, which is very reasonable...he is acting as set-up guy...he's 6'8"...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Red Sox once traded for a pitcher named Frank Tanana who was a hot shot for the Angels before injury.

They had no patience with him as he struggled through one season with the Sox (4-10, 1981 season). They dumped him on Texas and he had an even worse year in 1982. In 1986 he rebounded and put together 7 fair to solid seasons for Detroit in the mid to late 80's.

Jenks my be struggling now, but given time , he could be effective again. But the problem is ( and always has been) Boston fans, and media are relentless and have no patience, no sympathy for a pitcher who is trying to resurrect a career. They want results and they want them now.

It may take a while ( possibly years) for Jenks to regain his form. I do believe he will not be doing it in a Red Sox uniform. No one has the stomach to wait it out.

I am not arguing "right or wrong" here, I am just stating a fact. Jenks may be a vital part of a future team's World Series winning bullpen...and if he is I know the same people who are screaming to get rid of him will be blaming management for giving up on him, also.

Think also of Dennis Eckersley, so ineffective as a starter, that they let him get away. Eckersley is not in the Hall of Fame because of his no hitter for Cleveland or for his pitching while with Boston, he is in the Hall of Fame because of his days in Oakland. I'm sure many Boston fans wished they had never let him go...although it took a few seasons for Eck to become the top closer of his era.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I know we had a 5 run lead, but we were playing the team with the best record in baseball in their park and Tito brings in Jenks. I couldn't believe it. Bring in Paps, don't take any chances and salvage one game of the series. Jenks can be used in other situations to see what he can contribute, but to risk an implosion seemed foolhardy to me. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So any time we have a 5 run lead or less, it's Papelbon?

Seems to me the guy's arm will fall off around August 20 or so if they do that.

And it's not as if Papelbon hasn't blown 5-run leads or almost blown 5-run leads before.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I know we had a 5 run lead, but we were playing the team with the best record in baseball in their park and Tito brings in Jenks. I couldn't believe it. Bring in Paps, don't take any chances and salvage one game of the series. Jenks can be used in other situations to see what he can contribute, but to risk an implosion seemed foolhardy to me. 
    Posted by trouts
    This is why we watch and Francona manages IMHO. It was a five run lead as you say. Jenks has missed a lot of time with injury. He needs steady work to either regain his form OR for the manager to determine he is DNU (do not use).

Better that situation than waiting until he has burnt out his top 2 guys (Bard and Papelbon) and is forced to use him in a higher leverage situation.

Most of all, it worked! He saw that Jenks still isn't sharp in his command and won the game.

Fans are very impatient and in this market more than most. It is great that every game is of such interest but the hero to zero continuum is a residual negative. Jenks was VG in ST and has missed a lot of time with physical ailments. This is going to happen all the time with BP pitchers and cutting them every time they go through a down cycle is not only bad policy it can't be done for very long without having an empty BP. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee--yazzer. Show thee--yazzer's posts

Red Sox once traded for a pitcher named Frank Tanana who was a hot shot for the Angels before injury. They had no patience with him as he struggled through one season with the Sox (4-10, 1981 season). They dumped him on Texas and he had an even worse year in 1982. In 1986 he rebounded and put together 7 fair to solid seasons for Detroit in the mid to late 80's. Jenks my be struggling now, but given time , he could be effective again. But the problem is ( and always has been) Boston fans, and media are relentless and have no patience, no sympathy for a pitcher who is trying to resurrect a career. They want results and they want them now. It may take a while ( possibly years) for Jenks to regain his form. I do believe he will not be doing it in a Red Sox uniform. No one has the stomach to wait it out. I am not arguing "right or wrong" here, I am just stating a fact. Jenks may be a vital part of a future team's World Series winning bullpen...and if he is I know the same people who are screaming to get rid of him will be blaming management for giving up on him, also. Think also of Dennis Eckersley, so ineffective as a starter, that they let him get away. Eckersley is not in the Hall of Fame because of his no hitter for Cleveland or for his pitching while with Boston, he is in the Hall of Fame because of his days in Oakland. I'm sure many Boston fans wished they had never let him go...although it took a few seasons for Eck to become the top closer of his era.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

impatience is not a virtue; however, when a team's GM forks over 12 million dollars for a relief pitcher, most of us don't believe that money's for a reclamation project.
    new rule: theo should stick to drafting and taking care of the farm; he should not be allowed to take part in anymore free agent business. he's failed miserably.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Jenks has thrown well in his 2 appearances since coming off the DL. He did give up a HR to one of the game's leading HR hitters. Who, by the way can hit a HR on a pitcher's perfect pitch. His fastball is in the mid to high 90s. I don't think he should be let go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Time to move on from Jenks : Jenks seems to be an injury prone waste of salary.  Hopefully I'm wrong and he can help us down the stretch.
    Posted by craze4sox

I agree with you.  We have to be optimistic about him, but he really hasn't been much help this season so far. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In Response to Re: Time to move on from Jenks : This is why we watch and Francona manages IMHO. It was a five run lead as you say. Jenks has missed a lot of time with injury. He needs steady work to either regain his form OR for the manager to determine he is DNU (do not use). Better that situation than waiting until he has burnt out his top 2 guys (Bard and Papelbon) and is forced to use him in a higher leverage situation. Most of all, it worked! He saw that Jenks still isn't sharp in his command and won the game. Fans are very impatient and in this market more than most. It is great that every game is of such interest but the hero to zero continuum is a residual negative. Jenks was VG in ST and has missed a lot of time with physical ailments. This is going to happen all the time with BP pitchers and cutting them every time they go through a down cycle is not only bad policy it can't be done for very long without having an empty BP. 
    Posted by fivekatz

I can agree with you that Jenks "needs steady work" but I disagree with a couple of your other statements. You state "better that situation than waiting until he has burnt out his top two guys". Papelbon hadn't pitched since the last game of the Pirate series on Sunday. Since we've been losing he hardly appears to have been overworked. You continue on to say "Most of all it worked". It's an odd statement to suggest that bringing in Jenks, who stunk up the joint was a plus. That's like saying that batting McDonald second was another plus because we suddenly discovered that he can't hit anywhere in the order. I'm pretty sure that this is what most folks call "spin". And I didn't suggest "cutting" Jenks, only using him in less vital situations, until he shows what he has left in the tank.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Red Sox once traded for a pitcher named Frank Tanana who was a hot shot for the Angels before injury. They had no patience with him as he struggled through one season with the Sox (4-10, 1981 season). They dumped him on Texas and he had an even worse year in 1982. In 1986 he rebounded and put together 7 fair to solid seasons for Detroit in the mid to late 80's. Jenks my be struggling now, but given time , he could be effective again. But the problem is ( and always has been) Boston fans, and media are relentless and have no patience, no sympathy for a pitcher who is trying to resurrect a career. They want results and they want them now. It may take a while ( possibly years) for Jenks to regain his form. I do believe he will not be doing it in a Red Sox uniform. No one has the stomach to wait it out. I am not arguing "right or wrong" here, I am just stating a fact. Jenks may be a vital part of a future team's World Series winning bullpen...and if he is I know the same people who are screaming to get rid of him will be blaming management for giving up on him, also. Think also of Dennis Eckersley, so ineffective as a starter, that they let him get away. Eckersley is not in the Hall of Fame because of his no hitter for Cleveland or for his pitching while with Boston, he is in the Hall of Fame because of his days in Oakland. I'm sure many Boston fans wished they had never let him go...although it took a few seasons for Eck to become the top closer of his era.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I agree mostly. In all honesty, I think the fans are more impatient than the media. There always will be someone who likes to start fires, but most in the media have more patience than the fans when it comes to struggling players.

Eckersley isn't necessarily the best example. It was years after he left the Red Sox and after playing with the Cubs that his career was revived when the A's moved him to the bullpen as a last resort.

But your point in general about the need to be patient is well-taken. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Kyle Weiland has been "lights out" at Pawsox recently.  Since he was a reliever in college, he would seem to be a much better option.  But I doubt if Theo will eat more salary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

It's pretty sad when Jenks can't be trusted to close out a game in the 9th inning with a 5-0 lead. He has not been impressive from the get go. Bad signing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

"So any time we have a 5 run lead or less, it's Papelbon?

Seems to me the guy's arm will fall off around August 20 or so if they do that.

And it's not as if Papelbon hasn't blown 5-run leads or almost blown 5-run leads before."

I agree in part, but the reality is that Paps is 16-0 this season in save opps.  That's the best in the AL right now.

They're not going to use him for anything more than this.  The bigger problem, imo, is the fact that Wheeler has suc*ed up the joint since joining this team.  Neither he nor Jenks has done anything at all to help the Sox right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to Time to move on from Jenks:
    I'm not a fan of closers as setup men.  The Jenks experiment doesn't seem to be working very well.  Unfortunately, I believe there is another year on his contract. Not sure if there is a medical reason for Jenks, or if he just doesn't have it. Thought he was headed for the DL again according to Boston.com stat page for him (June 29th) http://stats.boston.com/mlb/playerstats.asp?id=7285&fn=Bobby&ln=Jenks&tm=02&p=T but he pitched yesterday... Thoughts....
    Posted by Koolga

I'm glad you posted this.  Just look at his ERA from the last few seasons.  He is not to be relied upon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee--yazzer. Show thee--yazzer's posts

Kyle Weiland has been "lights out" at Pawsox recently.  Since he was a reliever in college, he would seem to be a much better option.  But I doubt if Theo will eat more salary.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan

it isn't theo who has to eat it; it's his father by adoption, john henry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Time to move on from Jenks :      I can agree with you that Jenks "needs steady work" but I disagree with a couple of your other statements. You state "better that situation than waiting until he has burnt out his top two guys". Papelbon hadn't pitched since the last game of the Pirate series on Sunday. Since we've been losing he hardly appears to have been overworked. You continue on to say "Most of all it worked". It's an odd statement to suggest that bringing in Jenks, who stunk up the joint was a plus. That's like saying that batting McDonald second was another plus because we suddenly discovered that he can't hit anywhere in the order. I'm pretty sure that this is what most folks call "spin". And I didn't suggest "cutting" Jenks, only using him in less vital situations, until he shows what he has left in the tank.
    Posted by trouts
    They won the game and Tito got to see how Jenks would respond in back-to-back performances. In that regard it worked. Your complaint seems to be that what did not happen, could have happened and even though it didn't happen it was an awful decision. Facts are Francona got what he needed to and won the game. Scoreboard says it worked, style points aside.

Now you are right that Papelbon did not need rest at all. Point taken. OTOH Francona can't predict when he will have two back-to-back low leverage situations to use Jenks in again.

I am not saying this is your tact but it surprises me how often Francona's detractors point to his mistakes in victory and his inability to predict his player's failures in losses.

Back to Jenks, his profile suggests that if the RS can get him on track they are a way better BP than they are with him relegated to low leverage situations, where many "adrenaline" pitchers don't do as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

You have to give jenks a chance....one he has had some moinor injuries, but 2 and more importantly....he has been a closer for years.....and it takes a while to get used to a different role.....the adrenaline is different....ever notice how horrible Paps is when they bring him in in a non save situation....wait till the season progresses and every game and every iniing has more pressure...Jenks wil perform...he will do it in a Cardiac fashion as he alwasy did when he closed in Chicago....but he will perform. How may people calling for his head were calling for Paps head and saying Bard should close.....and now they want Paps to pitch everyday.....Bullpens need to jell together....roles need to be set....the Sox had a plan in the Spring that hasnt materialized as of yet, but all the piecss are still there....accept probably Aceves has replaced Wheeler in the 6/7 role and we still don;t have a good lefthander.....which will be Doubront when he is ready....but Jenks, Bard, and Paps at the end. It would be my suggestion to use Jenks to close a few when Paps isnt available....it will get his juices flowing again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

"So any time we have a 5 run lead or less, it's Papelbon? Seems to me the guy's arm will fall off around August 20 or so if they do that. And it's not as if Papelbon hasn't blown 5-run leads or almost blown 5-run leads before." I agree in part, but the reality is that Paps is 16-0 this season in save opps.  That's the best in the AL right now. They're not going to use him for anything more than this.  The bigger problem, imo, is the fact that Wheeler has suc*ed up the joint since joining this team.  Neither he nor Jenks has done anything at all to help the Sox right now.
    Posted by soups

Detroits Valverde is the best in the AL.  Papelbon is 15-1. 

Sections
Shortcuts