Time to move Salty to 9th? Bogaerts or Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Time to move Salty to 9th? Bogaerts or Drew?

He is just striking out way too much and has been kind of a rally killer.

Is it also time to Bogaerts instead of Drew, Drew has also been slumping has always been just a streaky hitter.    

My lineup would be:

With Drew:

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Middlebrooks

Drew

Salty

With Bogaerts

Same top 7 but Have Salty 8th and Bogey 9th to so if he gets on base have his speed on the bases with more speed coming up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

Re: Time to move Salty to 9th? Bogaerts or Drew?

Both Salty and Drew need to sit when there is a lefty starting.  Then they both need to sit on a bus out of town after the season.  Brian McCann would be worth the money and is a true dirtdog.  

Does Salty get the occasional hit...yes....but its how he makes an out that bothers me....its either via the strike out or ends up hitting into a double play.  Neither him nor Drew can hit great pitching, which is what you see in playoffs...their good hitting days were usually off of mediocre pitching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I like Drew vs rhp obviously and bogy vs lhp. I think after yesterday we may see that moving forward. As for Salty....I wouldn't be too quick to move him down. I do like him in the 8th spot and maybe Drew or bogy in 9. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Neither Oakland nor Detroit will start a left-hander in the next series, so Salty and Drew will start every game. (Ros might get a start.)

Drew is batting .284 with an .876 OPS against right-handers, so I'll stick with Drew starting. I'd certainly consider Bogaerts as a PH late in a close game if a lefty is in. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The only problem with calling Salty a rally-killer is the fact that he did bat .300 in the ALDS and drove in three runs in four games. That's not a bad ratio.

Now having said that, it doesn't look good that in the seven times he got out he struck out, although it's better than hitting into double plays. That would be a bigger rally killer.

But he went 2-for-4 in the first game of the series and 1-for-4 on Monday. So it's hard to get too upset that he went 0-for-2 on Tuesday. It looks worse because there were runners on base and he struck out, but again, a K was better than a double play. Now when the bases were loaded with no outs, I'd like to see him fly out and drive in a run with a SF.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to sox4life2280's comment:

Both Salty and Drew need to sit when there is a lefty starting.  Then they both need to sit on a bus out of town after the season.  Brian McCann would be worth the money and is a true dirtdog.  

Does Salty get the occasional hit...yes....but its how he makes an out that bothers me....its either via the strike out or ends up hitting into a double play.  Neither him nor Drew can hit great pitching, which is what you see in playoffs...their good hitting days were usually off of mediocre pitching.

Salty hit into only 7 double-plays all season; his upper-cut swing keeps him from hitting into too many. McCann will cost much more and take time to familiarize himself with the Sox' staff which is very comfortable with Salty. Drew was one of the most productive shortstops in baseball this year, both offensively and defensively. Don't let the facts get in the way of your arguement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Nothing like drawing conclusions from a small sample. Salty had a pretty solid year and so did Drew over all. As someone brought up earlier Ted William only hit .200 in post season play.

Hetch  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

[QUOTE]

Salty hit into only 7 double-plays all season; his upper-cut swing keeps him from hitting into too many. McCann will cost much more and take time to familiarize himself with the Sox' staff which is very comfortable with Salty. Drew was one of the most productive shortstops in baseball this year, both offensively and defensively. Don't let the facts get in the way of your arguement.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the insightful answer to the strange comments above. I love when someone bases an opinion on a very small sample rather than a large body of work. Too many base opinions on "what have you done for me lately" like yesterday and the day before.

Hetch 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The only problem with calling Salty a rally-killer is the fact that he did bat .300 in the ALDS and drove in three runs in four games. That's not a bad ratio.

There you go again, bringing facts to counter emotion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Do you have documentation for the fact that he doesn't hit good pitching?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty belongs up 7th vs RHPs: not Drew or Bogey. I could see hitting him 8th behind Middy, but not our SS.

Salty has done well this year and actually had a .364 OBP vs the Rays.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Salty belongs up 7th vs RHPs: not Drew or Bogey. I could see hitting him 8th behind Middy, but not our SS.

Salty has done well this year and actually had a .364 OBP vs the Rays.

Sox4ever

Agree.  He's streaky as can be.  Plus, if you bat him 9th, he becomes a potential baseclogger (is that a word) ahead of Ellsbury and Victorino.  Drew isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he's faster than Salty and is a better bet to go 1st to 3rd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Eddymon's comment:

Is it also time to Bogaerts instead of Drew, Drew has also been slumping has always been just a streaky hitter.    

My lineup would be:

With Drew:

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Middlebrooks

Drew

Salty

With Bogaerts

Same top 7 but Have Salty 8th and Bogey 9th to so if he gets on base have his speed on the bases with more speed coming up.

why Farrell need to make a change??  He used his same line up most of the time in all season along as well during this recently post season series,  and this team won .600 of the games this year!!

So why Farrell need to try to do some new experience by changing the line up a bit.  He is not going to do it.  He will leave it alone.   If Boston loses the first two games, of course, Farrell will make some change in the line up.

For now, it is game one!!!  If they win the first two, Farrell is more likely never make a change in the line up for the whole series unless Boston goes back to Boston for game 6 and 7.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jburtt. Show jburtt's posts

Agree with the earlier poster about Salty clogging up the basepaths for the top of the order if he bats ninth but striking out in key situations is not good either. There are chances to reach base and score runs on balls in play. Absolutely no chance when you strike out continually. He had terrible plate appearances Tuesday night. Farrell was right to pinch hit for him in that game.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Take it easy, in Play-offs things change quickly. One of the best hitters in National League Carpenter, went something like 1-18. And he's a lead-off hitter.
    Salty has improved a lot this year in hitting in the Clutch. Believe me I was always the one that was always negative on his hitting with men on base. He's improved.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Wow. You really have no clue do you? Salty hit .300 in the ALDS and drove in three runs in four games. Yup, big rally killer there.

Both McCann and Salty are basically the same defensively, and this year McCann was slightly better offensively. all for 8M more this year. McCann will get a lot more cash than Salty from someone, and with just a little better offensive production. Thats it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Take it easy, in Play-offs things change quickly. One of the best hitters in National League Carpenter, went something like 1-18. And he's a lead-off hitter.
    Salty has improved a lot this year in hitting in the Clutch. Believe me I was always the one that was always negative on his hitting with men on base. He's improved.

And, if a player goes that cold, he can then go that hot next game or series.

You don't jerk players around based on 3 or 4 game sample sizes.

Salty was one of the team's best clutch hitters last year. He had a rough start this year with men on base, but he has done very well recently.

His OPS was over a thousand the last 28, the last 14, and the last 7 days of the regular season. He did well in the ALDS. For someone to even think that "now is the time" to demote him, that person is not paying attention to the facts.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Softy---The first three games and maybe the first 7 games of the ALCS we may not see a lefty unless we get to the pens.

Even if we do I'm sticking with the top four guys that got us here. I would like to see stats for the four games we have played to date---it seems like both Ells and Vic have been on base a plethora of times.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

My lineup would be:

With Drew:

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Middlebrooks

Drew

Salty

With Bogaerts

Bogaerts should play.... Naps must go..... Is it me or when Naps bats you feel automatic out ? Iwas hopeing  that 2nd half and playoffs he would shine. Dam is he a bad hitter. Carp to first? Anyone at all at first that can at least have a good at bats....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

My lineup would be:

With Drew:

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava/Gomes

Middlebrooks

Drew

Salty

With Bogaerts

Why does a guy like Salty who hits 280+  from left side and 200 or less from right side continue to bat righty.... Thats not a switch hitter thats just plain stupid.Can someone tell him to forget right handed batting.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts