Time to put Ball in the OF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Time to put Ball in the OF?

Straight to the point, is it still early to give up on Trey Ball who was drafted #7 overall in 2013 as a starting pitcher?  I know he's still very young and only has 25 starts in the low level but his struggles have been pretty ugly.  His ERA doesn't look promising in those 25 starts and also SO to BB ratio gives you an alert.  Ball was two way player in high school and scouts also saw him as above average OF with 20+ HR potential and strong arm.  With lots of OF moves are made and more to come, is moving Ball to OF could be discussed internally at this point?

"There is no try.  Do or Don't"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Time to put Ball in the OF?

He is 20 years old and in A ball, and though his last start was not pretty, he has been trending upward since the beginning of July.

So my guess is yes, it is still way too early to consider such a move.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Really???? after a HORRIBLE start he's been around a 3.00 era type pitcher in the second half.

You don't give up on a first round draft pick who shows considerable improvement from the first to the last half of the season...you just don't do that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Flapjack07 nailed it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He throws strikes, doesn't walk a lot of guys and he's seen his arm speed and velocity return since early July.  With a smooth repeatable delivery and a full season under his belt I'm excited to see what he can do next season.  Especially if he adds some strength, with an uptick in velocity and a curve ball that according to those in the industry has shown considerable improvement over the last couple months I'm curious to see how he progresses next year.

This was a young, raw high school pitcher....they are high ceiling, high risk, long lead players.  They didn't draft him to pitch in the majors in a couple years I sincerely, highly doubt a switch to the outfield is in the cards anytime soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is 20 years old and in A ball, and though his last start was not pretty, he has been trending upward since the beginning of July.

So my guess is yes, it is still way too early to consider such a move.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

[/QUOTE]

This, I even said a couple weeks ago that I wouldn't be concerned at all if his numbers start to regress again at this point in the season.  He has shown obvious adjustments and improvements but he has got to be close to his innings limit.  He's close to 100 innings in his first full season of pro ball.....that just sniffs shut down. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Straight to the point, is it still early to give up on Trey Ball who was drafted #7 overall in 2013 as a starting pitcher?  I know he's still very young and only has 25 starts in the low level but his struggles have been pretty ugly.  His ERA doesn't look promising in those 25 starts and also SO to BB ratio gives you an alert.  Ball was two way player in high school and scouts also saw him as above average OF with 20+ HR potential and strong arm.  With lots of OF moves are made and more to come, is moving Ball to OF could be discussed internally at this point?

[/QUOTE]
    I always wonder why do fans continue to push our young inexperienced talent into roles they simply can't handle at this point.  Have we not learned anything from this season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really???? after a HORRIBLE start he's been around a 3.00 era type pitcher in the second half.

You don't give up on a first round draft pick who shows considerable improvement from the first to the last half of the season...you just don't do that. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

you tend to be very harsh whenever there's an opinion that is against your thinking.  I'm just trying to make a point that Trey Ball was a 2 way player and he could have been drafted as an OFer as well.  I'm not suggesting he should be moved to a position player.  I was asking a question it could be an option internally discussed.  It is true when he struggles, it's not pretty and it's just A ball.  One could think Ball might have better chance of succeeding as a positional player than a pitcher.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I always wonder why do fans continue to push our young inexperienced talent into roles they simply can't handle at this point.  Have we not learned anything from this season?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He was an OFer in high school as well.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

you tend to be very harsh whenever there's an opinion that is against your thinking.  I'm just trying to make a point that Trey Ball was a 2 way player and he could have been drafted as an OFer as well.  I'm not suggesting he should be moved to a position player.  I was asking a question it could be an option internally discussed.  It is true when he struggles, it's not pretty and it's just A ball.  One could think Ball might have better chance of succeeding as a positional player than a pitcher.  

[/QUOTE]

Harsh??? I'm just stating the obvious.  Has any team given up on a player, a top ten pick none the less after so little time??? 

Also he was considered 3rd round talent as a hitter, where he was almost a consensus top 10 talent as a pitcher across the board.  No team would make this transition this quickly, especially when you consider that he has been much much much better in the second half.

The Sox system is deep, they drafted him for his upside, they aren't going to freak out and move him to the outfield, especially since he has made a lot of improvements and adjustments this year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Every high school pitcher was also a high school position player as well.  He was drafted as a pitcher because he was considered a top ten talent on the mound. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

We need to draft or trade for kids that play the positions we have weaknesses in and stop trying to take every young prospect and turn them into something they simply are not prepared for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

We need to draft or trade for kids that play the positions we have weaknesses in and stop trying to take every young prospect and turn them into something they simply are not prepared for.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and even if Ball could hypothetically be converted into an outfielder.  The bust rate for 3rd round talent high school outfielders is insanely high.  And even if he did pan out, we would probably not see him up in Boston for another 5 years, and by then we could have the best outfield in baseball and a horrible infield. 

But a team always needs pitching, I say keep him where he shows the most talent. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox, or any other team for that matter, would never do that.  In baseball, you draft who your scouting department, which costs tens of millions of dollars to operate, comes up with as the consensus "best available" player, with "sign-ability" a huge factor as well.  You don't draft a "2nd baseman" when there are 10 players ranked ahead of him, because your organization is having a "down year" at the position.  

MLB teams are "lucky" to get one or two productive players out of each draft. Also, if they drafted a 1st baseman, for example, because it was an organizational "need," in 3 or 4 years when that player "may or may not" develop, that position could be an organizational strength at that point.  It makes no sense to take a lesser rated player, any way you look at it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox, or any other team for that matter, would never do that.  In baseball, you draft who your scouting department, which costs tens of millions of dollars to operate, comes up with as the consensus "best available" player, with "sign-ability" a huge factor as well.  You don't draft a "2nd baseman" when there are 10 players ranked ahead of him, because your organization is having a "down year" at the position.  

MLB teams are "lucky" to get one or two productive players out of each draft. Also, if they drafted a 1st baseman, for example, because it was an organizational "need," in 3 or 4 years when that player "may or may not" develop, that position could be an organizational strength at that point.  It makes no sense to take a lesser rated player, any way you look at it.

[/QUOTE]

jasko

I won't get into a long discussion on this but that's simply crazy.  We try our best to draft kids to play certain positions we need not just the best possible athlete we can spin the bottle on and place in any position because we are desperate.  Hanley, Sanchez, Iggy, Rizzo, Youk and Ells all succeeded at their natural positions.  We traded or let them all go to try and achieve short term success period.  We have three WC's as a result and may do the same with more short term fixes but don't have anything close to the same type prospects we did in the past. 

Middy can't hit while Cecchini, Holt and Bogy can't defend 3B like Beltre or Youk could.  Bogy and Holt can't play SS well and JBJ is what he is, a good solid late inning defender with little power at this point.  Betts may be our best prospect moving forward if we keep him at one every day position and let him develop.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I think if the sox felt ball would be more successful as an outfielder they would have drafted him to be one. I think they are committed to ball as a starter and he has pitched better since july so there is reason to believe he will continue to improve. The major failure in all of this is the fact that the sox drafted ball with the 7th (unusually high for us) when we already had a lot of quality pitching prospects and had litteraly no outfield prospects aside from bradley. Heck, we had shortage of quality position prospects in general, especially ones with pop. Many people expected us to take an outfielder with 7th pick, the 2 guys often linked to the sox were clint frazier and austin meadows. Frazier went 5th, but meadows was still on the board. Now, considering all of the high end pitching prospects in our system already, taking an outfielder would have made a ton of sense. Austin Meadows is a 6 ft 3 left handed outfielder, can play all 3 outfield positions but is currently a CF, and has hit well at each level so far. He is already a top 50 prospect in the game and is only 19 years old. I know many people will say “hindsight is 20/20”, but this is just a case of common sense. Its not like one of the top pitchers fell to us and we took him for the value, ball was seen as a mid first round talent by many. Meadows was the obvious picked based on need and value, but instead we took another pitcher who did have a ton of experience pitching when the need wasn’t there. Just a bad pick, without question. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

jasko

I won't get into a long discussion on this but that's simply crazy.  We try our best to draft kids to play certain positions we need not just the best possible athlete we can spin the bottle on and place in any position because we are desperate.  Hanley, Sanchez, Iggy, Rizzo, Youk and Ells all succeeded at their natural positions.  We traded or let them all go to try and achieve short term success period.  We have three WC's as a result and may do the same with more short term fixes but don't have anything close to the same type prospects we did in the past. 

Middy can't hit while Cecchini, Holt and Bogy can't defend 3B like Beltre or Youk could.  Bogy and Holt can't play SS well and JBJ is what he is, a good solid late inning defender with little power at this point.  Betts may be our best prospect moving forward if we keep him at one every day position and let him develop.

[/QUOTE]

Your response makes absolutely no sense.  What exactly are you trying to say here?  The Red Sox do NOT draft players based on "current organizational weakness," ever.  I really don't understand how any of what you just typed has anything to do with the Sox drafting players based on "current organizational need."  Just a quick reminder, that was my original point.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think if the sox felt ball would be more successful as an outfielder they would have drafted him to be one. I think they are committed to ball as a starter and he has pitched better since july so there is reason to believe he will continue to improve. The major failure in all of this is the fact that the sox drafted ball with the 7th (unusually high for us) when we already had a lot of quality pitching prospects and had litteraly no outfield prospects aside from bradley. Heck, we had shortage of quality position prospects in general, especially ones with pop. Many people expected us to take an outfielder with 7th pick, the 2 guys often linked to the sox were clint frazier and austin meadows. Frazier went 5th, but meadows was still on the board. Now, considering all of the high end pitching prospects in our system already, taking an outfielder would have made a ton of sense. Austin Meadows is a 6 ft 3 left handed outfielder, can play all 3 outfield positions but is currently a CF, and has hit well at each level so far. He is already a top 50 prospect in the game and is only 19 years old. I know many people will say “hindsight is 20/20”, but this is just a case of common sense. Its not like one of the top pitchers fell to us and we took him for the value, ball was seen as a mid first round talent by many. Meadows was the obvious picked based on need and value, but instead we took another pitcher who did have a ton of experience pitching when the need wasn’t there. Just a bad pick, without question. 

[/QUOTE]

With Nava, Craig, Holt, Betts, Ces, Shane & JBJ already playing OF positions why would even consider turning a young pitcher into one right now?  In my opinion we should allow Betts to play and become more comfortable in the OF but still try to pull off a Stanton or Tulo trade along with possibly Beltre using kids like JBJ, Webster, Middy and Bogy as part of the bait.  Fill 3B and SS if Stanton isn't available with competent every day players and sign a couple FA pitchers period. 

End of story!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With Nava, Craig, Holt, Betts, Ces, Shane & JBJ already playing OF positions why would even consider turning a young pitcher into one right now?  In my opinion we should allow Betts to play and become more comfortable in the OF but still try to pull off a Stanton or Tulo trade along with possibly Beltre using kids like JBJ, Webster, Middy and Bogy as part of the bait.  Fill 3B and SS if Stanton isn't available with competent every day players and sign a couple FA pitchers period. 

End of story!

[/QUOTE]

Stanton "isn't" available, and whether you "like it" or not, barring injury, Bogaerts will be the starting SS next year.  No one, including the Red Sox, is going to take on Tulowitski's 100 plus million dollar dollar deal, coming off hip surgery.  The Sox have a lot of work to do this off season, but Stanton and Tulowitzki won't be any part of plans A through Z.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Common sense indeed. Everyone and their mama wanted them to sign Meadows.  Oh well.... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Picking a guy who was a consensus top ten pitcher with a big ceiling with a top ten pick is never a bad pick.

You can call any pick in hindsight a "bad pick" but at the time they drafted ball right where everyone thought he would be drafted.

Yes the Sox had pitching in their system, but they didn't have any high end pitching.  Give or take pitching is about half your roster, it's not the same thing as drafting a catcher, or a second baseman...you will always need pitching.  Taking the best pitcher left on the board who was a consensus top ten will always be justified 100% of the time.

It's also a lot easier to buy an outfielder in free agency than it is to go out and get an ace.  If the Sox took the best pitcher, or the highest ceiling pitcher left on the board with every 1st pick they ever have I'll never call it a bad pick.

Also the Sox have historically hit gold with position players in the rounds beneath the 1st round.  And it's a lot easier to convert a SS/2nd/3B base type who puts on too much muscle to the outfield after a couple years as opposed to converting a pitcher to a position player.  Actually players playing a different position in the majors than the one they were drafted in is very very common.

Even in hindsight, you can't really judge a pick until several years afterwards.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wanted Meadows as well, but that's because I wanted an outfielder.  Reality is you don't draft for need, and I only wanted Meadows because of the draft reports I read on him.  No one in here had any scouting on any of these players that was more in depth and more detailed than what the Sox scouting department had.

We all had, all we had, were brief summaries of industry consensus....and by consensus Ball was just as highly regarded as Meadows, if not higher.  And again, you never draft for a MLB need, because your needs are likely going to be different by the time that kid reaches the majors.