Time to shut Bard down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Time to shut Bard down

The year and his season has been lost and it is now time to shut Bard down completely for the season.

Pitching him any more is only going to hurt him even more. He has nothing to gain by pitching any more this year.

He has had his head messed with all year, and he is completely mentally beaten down.  Time to start his recovery for possible improvement for 2013 if that is even possible after all he has gone through this year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Time to shut Bard down

Shouldn't have brought him back to start with.  He had a 32/29 K/W in AAA.  They're just beating a dead horse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Should have been/will be packaged during the hot stove league !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

unconditional release is about as much as he deserves right now. Went from a prospect and a very good setup man to a joke in 3.5 starting seconds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Why shut him down?

He can hardly get much worse, and these games are just like exhibition games for the Red Sox.

If I was manager, I wouldn't care about winning or losing, strategy would be out the window. Pinch hit for a guy with 2 strikes on him? Please! Let's see what these younger players can do. I'd have a lineup of every borderline player, I'd be sitting veterans like Pedroia , Aviles , Ross and Ellsbury. We know what these can do, it's time for guys like Bard to get some work in and try to return to some kind of consistency.

I'd risk losing every game this season and finish dead last if it helped the team for future years. Even winning all the rest of the games wouldn't change the fact that this season has been a complete and utter disaster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He should have been shut down months ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why shut him down?

He can hardly get much worse, and these games are just like exhibition games for the Red Sox.

If I was manager, I wouldn't care about winning or losing, strategy would be out the window. Pinch hit for a guy with 2 strikes on him? Please! Let's see what these younger players can do. I'd have a lineup of every borderline player, I'd be sitting veterans like Pedroia , Aviles , Ross and Ellsbury. We know what these can do, it's time for guys like Bard to get some work in and try to return to some kind of consistency.

I'd risk losing every game this season and finish dead last if it helped the team for future years. Even winning all the rest of the games wouldn't change the fact that this season has been a complete and utter disaster.

He should be shut down. Until he gets his velocity up to 96+, he's not going to be effective. If he can't do that consistently in bullpen sessions, don't pitch him in games, period.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Of all the outcomes from a dishearting 2012, Bard is the most troubling.  He right now has essentially minimum value, either on the field or in a trade.  Hopefully he gets fixed mentally and/or physically over the winter, because his career will be on the line in the spring.

Not sure if there would be value shutting him down now - depends on whether its a physical issue.  I do wonder if winter ball is being considered.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Should have trade him for a better starting pitcher during last off season.  Oh well, he is just like Craig Hansen!!!