1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

Re: Time to start PH for our DH?

great idea, he struck out? let´s just release him

we dont need the batting leader, HR leader, RBI leader, OPS leader, under the bus he goes!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He's the most productive player in this team.  Obviously troll is being troll.  

But I think he needs to make sure he's 100% healthy at this point.  He missed two straight fastball last night.  That doesn't happen often with Ortiz.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm certainly not a supporter of PH'ing for Papi in an ordinary situation but the situation last night was far from ordinary.  Papi was 0 for his last 21 at that point and 1 for his last 18 against that pitcher - and the game was on the line.  Were it ONLY the 0-21 OR the 1-18 I'd have let him hit, but considering both of those things, what kind of odds would Vegas give on his getting a hit at that moment?

The rub comes in who's going to do the PH'ing.  With Carp unavailable, and Gomes and Nava already playing that leaves only three semi-viable options, Bogarts, Ross and Napoli.  There's no way I'm going to throw Bogarts with limited ML experience up there in that situation as a PH, and it's not going to be Ross until he gets his timing back.  That leaves Napoli.  And yeah, I'd have done it. 

Otiz is a big boy who's making a lot of money.  He's also been around baseball for a long time and he knows when he's hurting the team.  He also must realize that baseball is a team sport and the win is more important than his own ego or his feelings. 

Or is he now so big that we have to coddle him to keep from having an "incident"?  ....and that's a question and not an indictment. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They didnt PH for papi when he took 2 months to get going one season. Hes been in a funk for 5 games. No big deal. You dont PH for your best hitter in this situation. He can change the game with one swing at any time, slump or no slump. Sorry guys, you just dont do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Why not throw Boggie in?  It seems the rest of the league has studied Ortiz and has his number.  Even before the 0 for 21, pitchers were happy to give up the single or double to ortiz to avoid the homer.

Boggie is still new and a lot of pitchers have not seen him.  I am hearing two different things on this board about Boggie.  Bring him and start him every game but don't let him get in the way of a slumping not into the game Ortiz.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

Papi is in a major funk.. ever since he started cheering for the Yankees he has been horrific!

tying run on third, Papi 0 for last 22... 8th inning... I say PH for the DH....  Papi has his old slow, dejected, baby face on... sit him down he is contributing NOTHING right now.. Send him to NY for a weekend getaway or something

Yea, I know that dejected look but there have been a few times on this homestand when he came up looking like he was going to air mail the ball, but still struck out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Papi is in a big time slump and its killing the Sox right now (not to mention my fantasy team).
    Let's hope he snaps out of it.  Usually, when he goes the other way he gets out of it.  There isn't a better option so they have to stick with him and ride it out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

We won 4 in a row(last 2 LA & first 2 Orioles) while Papi went 0-18 or so & then 0-4 last night. Pedroia, Gomes & Salty were also 0-4 last night & they could have bailed us out so Papi's slump wouldn't be so critical.  It really would have  been nice since Tampa lost to have won last night & also put Baltimore further behind us. Just a couple of weeks ago many were on Napoli but he seems, hopefully, to have  come out of his slump. Letting Papi continueone hopes the law of average comes into play but there is something called inertia & the streak can continue. Monday morning quarterback, but I'd PH Napoli for Papi when we had tying run on 3rd. He will break out of his slump...we need him to do so if we want to face Dodgers in World Series.

Last night, although many said shame Lester lost, is that Balt's 2 and 3rd runs were after a walk and then a double. Without the walks we might have won 2-1. Just saying.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Definitely a nominee for stupidest post ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Definitely a nominee for stupidest post ever.

The 0 for 22 is fact.  Ortiz definetely has a look right before he air mails a ball.  I have seen it many times this season and knew that this forum what about to light up with comments directed at Bill and me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

Papi is in a major funk.. ever since he started cheering for the Yankees he has been horrific!

tying run on third, Papi 0 for last 22... 8th inning... I say PH for the DH....  Papi has his old slow, dejected, baby face on... sit him down he is contributing NOTHING right now.. Send him to NY for a weekend getaway or something

April = you want to get rid of Middlebrook cuz he started out a slump

May = You want to get rid of Victorino or Drew cuz they are always injured

July = You want to get rid of Bucholtz

August = You want to get rid of Napoli cuz he struck out too much

Today = You want to get rid of Papi

Who are you?  do you know anything about baseball?  Did you realize that Boston sorted have the best record in AL??

They are more likely make into the post season.

Leave this team alone.  Do not try to bother to bring up bunch of rookies cuz they are hitting so good in AAA or AA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

The 0 for 22 is fact.  Ortiz definetely has a look right before he air mails a ball.  I have seen it many times this season and knew that this forum what about to light up with comments directed at Bill and me.

I know it's a fact. He's slumping. It happens in baseball. Dustin Pedroia had a dreadful July but now he's back to being the Destroya. Ellsbury was batting .241 in May. Now he's at .299. 

I'm not addressing you specifically (though if the shoe fits ...), but there is a certain faction here that takes pleasure when certain players on their so-called team fail. I'll never be one of those.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

test

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts