Time to tear Fenway down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SandyRowBelfast. Show SandyRowBelfast's posts

Time to tear Fenway down

I know it's old. I know it's history. I know the memories. But after visiting other new ball parks around the states, Fenway has to be the worst. Time to get a new stadium that will hold 70k plus. We'd almost fill it with every home game and our revenue will double. Need to get with times. Cant keep putting orniments and tinstle on and old tree. So uncomfortable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Time to tear Fenway down

This is what you lead off with?  They are not tearing Fenway down.  They are doing upgrades each year.  The park is what you got.  And it is the best no matter what any other parks try to do.  I've been to Camden Yards, Yankee, Citizens Bank, the Ball yard at Arlington and none of them holds a candle to Fenway.  Yes, the seats are bigger, the bathrooms are nicer and its easier to get a beer.  I'm there for the experience.  Wrigley and Fenway own the "experience".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

70K, how the hell would you even see the ball from so far away in a park so big? no way dude, plus i disagree with your entire idea of tearing down fenway

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Time to tear Fenway down:
    I know it's old. I know it's history. I know the memories. But after visiting other new ball parks around the states, Fenway has to be the worst. Time to get a new stadium that will hold 70k plus. We'd almost fill it with every home game and our revenue will double. Need to get with times. Cant keep putting orniments and tinstle on and old tree. So uncomfortable.
    Posted by SandyRowBelfast

And so will somebody's debt. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Time to tear Fenway down:
    This is what you lead off with?  They are not tearing Fenway down.  They are doing upgrades each year.  The park is what you got.  And it is the best no matter what any other parks try to do.  I've been to Camden Yards, Yankee, Citizens Bank, the Ball yard at Arlington and none of them holds a candle to Fenway.  Yes, the seats are bigger, the bathrooms are nicer and its easier to get a beer.  I'm there for the experience.  Wrigley and Fenway own the "experience".

Posted by jimdavis

If your idea of "the experience" includes uncomfortable seating, urine smell, rat infested with mile long lines for the bathroom I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV. Not to mention the beige colored franks........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Man, you guys must not like roller coasters either. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

In Response to Time to tear Fenway down:
    Posted by SandyRowBelfast

Nothing better than to read a post by someone with   ZERO%  sports IQ .
      This is baseball not football dude .     NO TEAM IN MLB HAS A STADIUM WITH MORE THAN 56000 SEATS AND THIS WHATEVER WANTS 70000. Must be a slow day at summer school

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Would you "tear down" Mount Rushmore?

Would you "tear down" The Taj Mahal?

Would you "tear down" The Great Pyramid at Giza?

Would you "tear down" Disneyland?

Would you "tear down" the Eiffel Tower?

Would you "tear down" Graceland?

Would you "tear down" the Grand Canyon?

Would you "tear down the home of Buzz Aldrin?

Would you "tear down" the farm in Kansas where Dorothy grew up?

Would you, could you even think of tearing down these monuments to humanity? These marvelous tourist attractions?

This is real life, my friend, not fanasty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sight lines are the worst in MLB, but that's fine with me because I've seen 2 games at Fenway in 60 years of fandom.  I don't think it's fair to the fans who fill the park and pay top dollar (or close to it), but I'm sure the FO has a finger on the RSN pulse. 

I love watching games at Fenway on TV.  Oozes with history and ambiance.  Always sold out.  Green monster.  Idiosyncratic right field. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Time to tear Fenway down : If your idea of "the experience" includes uncomfortable seating, urine smell, rat infested with mile long lines for the bathroom I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV. Not to mention the beige colored franks........
    Posted by The---Babe---

Never saw a rat, never smelled urine outside the bathroom, and never had to wait in an excessively long line to pee at Fenway.
    Plus, we'd all rather you stay home and watch.
    Hell no don't tear it down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Would you "tear down" Mount Rushmore? Would you "tear down" The Taj Mahal? Would you "tear down" The Great Pyramid at Giza? Would you "tear down" Disneyland? Would you "tear down" the Eiffel Tower? Would you "tear down" Graceland? Would you "tear down" the Grand Canyon? Would you "tear down the home of Buzz Aldrin? Would you "tear down" the farm in Kansas where Dorothy grew up? Would you, could you even think of tearing down these monuments to humanity? These marvelous tourist attractions? This is real life, my friend, not fanasty.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

They did tear down the Berlin Wall though.  I don't think the Wall in Fenway is a symbol of oppression unless one wants to relive the Bucky Dent experience. 

Great post, Zilla.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If you don't like Fenway Park,don't go there.They'll sell out the games with or without your support.Personally,I can't think of a ballpark or stadium I'd rather see a game at.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Would you "tear down" Mount Rushmore? Would you "tear down" The Taj Mahal? Would you "tear down" The Great Pyramid at Giza? Would you "tear down" Disneyland? Would you "tear down" the Eiffel Tower? Would you "tear down" Graceland? Would you "tear down" the Grand Canyon? Would you "tear down the home of Buzz Aldrin? Would you "tear down" the farm in Kansas where Dorothy grew up? Would you, could you even think of tearing down these monuments to humanity? These marvelous tourist attractions? This is real life, my friend, not fanasty.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Excellent,Zill.  Excellent!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Time to tear Fenway down : Never saw a rat, never smelled urine outside the bathroom, and never had to wait in an excessively long line to pee at Fenway. Plus, we'd all rather you stay home and watch. Hell no don't tear it down.
    Posted by LloydDobler

The reason he knows there are rats there is he's hangin' with his own!

Honestly, can anyone ever remember this guy (Babe) ever saying anything good or constructive?   Even once?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Heresy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It's a terrible park. 

Most of the infield grandstand seats have something that interferes with the view.  A pole blocking something on the field (I had a seat where I had to lean forward to see the pithcer and backward to see the batter) and/or you can't see fly balls.

Many of the box seats face the wrong direction - the right field box seats face CF and you have to twist your body to watch the game.  The seats behind the dugouts face 1st/3rd base and you have to keep your head twisted to watch the batter (this is very dangerous because it's tiring to keep your neck twisted but you have to pay attention otherwise you risk getting a foulball upside your head). 

The box seats behind the plate used to be great, but they replaced the seats with narrower ones a couple of years back to squeeze in a few more per row.  People have to alternate who leans forward and who leans back in order to sit in the seats.

The new seating areas are great - the seats on top of Fenway and the monster seats are great.

It would be one thing if the seats were cheap, but they aren't.  Grandstand seats against a decent team are typically $100, although they have been coming down in price lately.  I don't mind paying to see a game, but for $100, I should be able to watch a game without being in pain.

And the prices of concessions are stupid high.

A new stadium with 45,000 seats would be nice (70K is way too many and there is nothing worse than seeing empty sections in a stadium). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Not happening anytime soon.   Too much politics involved.    John Henry will continue to patch and put green paint where needed.    Wherever fire law allows, more seats will be squeezed in as tight as possible.
    Tickets, concessions, and parking will increase every year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Time to tear Fenway down : Never saw a rat, never smelled urine outside the bathroom, and never had to wait in an excessively long line to pee at Fenway. Plus, we'd all rather you stay home and watch. Hell no don't tear it down.
    Posted by LloydDobler

From call of the green monster

Rats at Fenway Park Joined in World Series Celebration

Rat

Red Sox officials were happy to report that the rats that infest Fenway Parkjoined in the celebration of the team’s World Series victory.

“We were pleased to see that the rats conducted themselves quite nicely,” said head groundskeeper Joe Mooney. “They seemed to be genuinely delighted, and frolicked on the field and in the stands. You have to love their enthusiasm.”

A spokesman for the Boston Police said the situation was monitored, but no problems were reported. “We kept close watch on the revelry, but they conducted themselves in an orderly way. There were no injuries, no property damage, and aside from some expected mischievousness, things went fine. One rat was spotted climbing up a rope to get to the top of the Green Monster, but responded immediately when asked to get down.”

Although the new Red Sox ownership has taken some steps to control the rodent population within the park, the feisty critters still maintain a steady population and are a cherished part of the Sox fan base.

“You have to keep in mind that the rats are an important part of the history of this ball club,” said a nostalgic Johnny Pesky. “They’ve been here for generations upon generations, and I honestly believe that they are just as much a part of this World Series celebration as anyone else. They are some of our most devoted fans.”

While Red Sox ownership has announced no formal plans to include the rats in the various celebrations that will follow in the months to come, owner John Henry did grudgingly acknowledge their presence. “The rats will always be here,” he said, shaking his head. “Always.”

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

All my Yankee friends say the new Yankee Stadium is cold.  Maybe if there was some urine odor ... and a few beige hot dogs ...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dareynolds. Show dareynolds's posts

Ask the Yankee's how well their monstrosity of a stadium is working out with their insane ticket prices that go largely unsold. 

I agree that Fenway, even with all the improvements ownership has done, is still probably the most uncomfortable facility in the country to watch a game.  But I'd take that over having another luxury box / corporate ownership driven stadium and crowd.  The fun that is Fenway and RSN today would be gone.

/******************************************************** This Script will be included in all web pages to show an Icon on Mouse over, Clicking the Icon will show a Zoominto Viewer (a Flash made viewer) to Zoom the Image Content ********************************************************/ var tmppluginServername = "http://www.zoominto.com/zoomapi/"; //tmppluginServername= "http://localhost:9999/zoomapi/" var versionswf="1100"; versionswf=""; var tmppluginSwfname="" tmppluginSwfname=tmppluginServername + "zoomplugin" + versionswf + ".swf"; var tmppluginimageURL=tmppluginServername + "displayimage.php?image="; var protocol = "http://"; var isInternetExplorer = navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1; plugin_run(); function BrowserZoomPlugin() { var ua, s, i; this.isIE = false; this.isNS = false; this.version = null; ua = navigator.userAgent; s = "MSIE"; if ((i = ua.indexOf(s)) />= 0) { this.isIE = true; this.version = parseFloat(ua.substr(i + s.length)); return; } s = "Netscape6/"; if ((i = ua.indexOf(s)) >= 0) { this.isNS = true; this.version = parseFloat(ua.substr(i + s.length)); return; } s = "Gecko"; if ((i = ua.indexOf(s)) >= 0) { this.isNS = true; this.version = 6.1; return; } } var browser = new BrowserZoomPlugin; var dragObj = new Object; dragObj.zIndex = 0; function zoominto_dragStart(event, id) { var el; var x, y; if (id) { dragObj.elNode = document.getElementById(id); } else { if (browser.isIE) { dragObj.elNode = window.event.srcElement; } if (browser.isNS) { dragObj.elNode = event.target; } if (dragObj.elNode.nodeType == 3) { dragObj.elNode = dragObj.elNode.parentNode; } } if (browser.isIE) { x = window.event.clientX + document.documentElement.scrollLeft + document.body.scrollLeft; y = window.event.clientY + document.documentElement.scrollTop + document.body.scrollTop; } if (browser.isNS) { x = event.clientX + window.scrollX; y = event.clientY + window.scrollY; } dragObj.cursorStartX = x; dragObj.cursorStartY = y; dragObj.elStartLeft = parseInt(dragObj.elNode.style.left, 10); dragObj.elStartTop = parseInt(dragObj.elNode.style.top, 10); if (isNaN(dragObj.elStartLeft)) { dragObj.elStartLeft = 0; } if (isNaN(dragObj.elStartTop)) { dragObj.elStartTop = 0; } dragObj.elNode.style.zIndex = ++dragObj.zIndex; if (browser.isIE) { document.attachEvent("onmousemove", zoominto_dragGo); document.attachEvent("onmouseup", zoominto_dragStop); window.event.cancelBubble = true; window.event.returnValue = false; } if (browser.isNS) { document.addEventListener("mousemove", zoominto_dragGo, true); document.addEventListener("mouseup", zoominto_dragStop, true); event.preventDefault(); } } function zoominto_dragGo(event) { var x, y; if (browser.isIE) { x = window.event.clientX + document.documentElement.scrollLeft + document.body.scrollLeft; y = window.event.clientY + document.documentElement.scrollTop + document.body.scrollTop; } if (browser.isNS) { x = event.clientX + window.scrollX; y = event.clientY + window.scrollY; } dragObj.elNode.style.left = dragObj.elStartLeft + x - dragObj.cursorStartX + "px"; dragObj.elNode.style.top = dragObj.elStartTop + y - dragObj.cursorStartY + "px"; if (browser.isIE) { window.event.cancelBubble = true; window.event.returnValue = false; } if (browser.isNS) { event.preventDefault(); } } function zoominto_dragStop(event) { if (browser.isIE) { document.detachEvent("onmousemove", zoominto_dragGo); document.detachEvent("onmouseup", zoominto_dragStop); } if (browser.isNS) { document.removeEventListener("mousemove", zoominto_dragGo, true); document.removeEventListener("mouseup", zoominto_dragStop, true); } } function imgplayerprogress_DoFSCommand(command, args) { var imgplayerprogressObj = isInternetExplorer ? document.all.imgplayerprogress : document.imgplayerprogress; } function zoominto_addElement(divIdName, htmlval) { try { var newdiv = document.createElement("div"); newdiv.setAttribute("id", divIdName); newdiv.setAttribute("title", ""); newdiv.style.position = "absolute"; newdiv.style.display = "none"; newdiv.innerHTML = htmlval; document.body.appendChild(newdiv);; } catch (e) { } } function zoominto_addmyelems(divIdName, htmlval) { try { var newdiv = document.createElement("div"); newdiv.setAttribute("id", divIdName); newdiv.innerHTML = htmlval; document.body.appendChild(newdiv);; } catch (e) { //_L(e); } } function zoominto_initializelements() { zoominto_addElement("plugpanel", "ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos "); zoominto_addmyelems("plugincheck_0909", ""); } function zoominto_GetElementPostion(theElement) { var selectedPosX = 0; var selectedPosY = 0; tmpw = theElement.width; tmph = theElement.height; while (theElement != null) { selectedPosX += theElement.offsetLeft; selectedPosY += theElement.offsetTop; theElement = theElement.offsetParent; } var tempelement = new Array(selectedPosX, selectedPosY, tmpw, tmph); return tempelement; } function plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(Xwidth, Yheight, divid) { var scrolledX, scrolledY; if (self.pageYOffset) { scrolledX = self.pageXOffset; scrolledY = self.pageYOffset; } else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.scrollTop) { scrolledX = document.documentElement.scrollLeft; scrolledY = document.documentElement.scrollTop; } else if (document.body) { scrolledX = document.body.scrollLeft; scrolledY = document.body.scrollTop; } var centerX, centerY; if (self.innerHeight) { centerX = self.innerWidth; centerY = self.innerHeight; } else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientHeight) { centerX = document.documentElement.clientWidth; centerY = document.documentElement.clientHeight; } else if (document.body) { centerX = document.body.clientWidth; centerY = document.body.clientHeight; } var leftOffset = scrolledX + (centerX - Xwidth) / 2; var topOffset = scrolledY + (centerY - Yheight) / 2; var o = document.getElementById(divid); var r = o.style; r.position = "absolute"; r.top = topOffset + "px"; r.left = leftOffset + "px"; r.display = "block"; } function pluginalertShow(layerid) { document.getElementById(layerid).style.visibility = "visible"; document.getElementById(layerid).style.display = "block"; plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(280, 115, layerid); document.getElementById("plugin_btn_activate").focus(); } function pluginalerthide(layerid) { document.getElementById(layerid).style.visibility = "hidden"; document.getElementById(layerid).style.display = "none"; } function zoom_getValidString(){ return "&isValidviewer=1";// all things are valid } function zoominto_showflash(zoomres) { try{ if(zoomres == undefined) zoomres="600x442"; zoomarr=zoomres.split("x",2) var divimgplayer = document.getElementById("div_plugin_img_player"); divimgplayer.style.display = "block"; divimgplayer.style.visibility = "visible"; //old movie 550 400 // plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(600, 371, "div_plugin_img_player"); plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(parseInt(zoomarr[0]), parseInt(zoomarr[1])+120, "div_plugin_img_player"); // zoominto_setImage(); zoominto_changeobject(document.getElementById("plugpanel").title,zoomres); } catch (e) { } } function zoominto_closeflash() { var divimgplayer = document.getElementById("div_plugin_img_player"); divimgplayer.style.display = "none"; divimgplayer.style.visibility = "hidden"; } function hidezoomicon(){ document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "hidden"; } function getMouseX( e ) { return e.pageX || ( e.clientX + ( document.documentElement.scrollLeft || document.body.scrollLeft ) ); } function getMouseY( e ) { return e.pageY || ( e.clientY + ( document.documentElement.scrollTop || document.body.scrollTop ) ); } function dhtmlLoadScript(url) { var e = document.createElement("script"); e.src = url; e.type="text/javascript"; // document.getElementByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(e); document.getElementById("addiv").appendChild(e); } function getactualimgdimensions(imgsrc){ zoomintoheavyImage = new Image(); zoomintoheavyImage.src = imgsrc var tempelement = new Array(zoomintoheavyImage.width, zoomintoheavyImage.height); return tempelement; } function plugin_run() { var newcss = "#div_plugin_img_player td {padding:0;} \n #div_plugin_img_player th {padding:0;}"; if ('\v'=='v') /* ie only */ { document.createStyleSheet().cssText = newcss; } else { var tag = document.createElement('style'); tag.type = 'text/css'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(tag); tag[ (typeof document.body.style.WebkitAppearance=='string') /* webkit only */ ? 'innerText' : 'innerHTML'] = newcss; } var image = document.getElementsByTagName("img"); var totimgLength=image.length; zoominto_initializelements(); for (var i = 0; i < image.length; i++) { if (image[i].className.match("myplug_img")){ image[i].onmouseout = function (evt) { document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "hidden"; } }// Zoom icon hidden zoomarrdim= getactualimgdimensions(image[i].src); //arrdim[0] - width arrdim[1] - height if (!image[i].className.match("myplug_img") && zoomarrdim[0] > 50 && zoomarrdim[1] > 60) { image[i].onmouseover = function () {imgvals = zoominto_GetElementPostion(this); document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.display = "block";document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "visible";document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.left = imgvals[0] + "px";document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.top = imgvals[1] + "px";document.getElementById("plugpanel").title = this.src;}; image[i].onmouseout = function (evt) { imgvals = zoominto_GetElementPostion(this); strx=imgvals[0]; stry=imgvals[1]; endx=imgvals[0] +imgvals[2] ; endy=imgvals[1] + imgvals[3]; tmpcurx=evt.pageX; tmpcury=evt.pageY; if(tmpcurx > strx && tmpcurx < endx && tmpcury > stry && tmpcury < endy ){ l=1 } else{ document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "hidden"; } }; }// End of Condition Image smaller if(zoomarrdim[0] == 1 && zoomarrdim[1] == 1){ // remove Image element image[i].style.display="none"; image[i].style.visibility="hidden"; } } } function zoominto_URLEncode(clearString) { var output = ""; var x = 0; clearString = clearString.toString(); var regex = /(^[a-zA-Z0-9_.]*)/; while (x < clearString.length) { var match = regex.exec(clearString.substr(x)); if (match != null && match.length > 1 && match[1] != "") { output += match[1]; x += match[1].length; } else { if (clearString[x] == " ") { output += "+"; } else { var charCode = clearString.charCodeAt(x); var hexVal = charCode.toString(16); output += "%" + (hexVal.length < 2 ? "0" : "") + hexVal.toUpperCase(); } x++; } } return output; } function Closeiepluginpanel() { closeflash(); } function logme(txtstr) { // try { //alert(txtstr); return ""; } function zoominto_changeobject(url,zoomres) { //Method to Display the Viewer for Image imgName_bfr=(tmppluginimageURL +url + zoom_getValidString()) escimgName_bfr=escape(imgName_bfr); trkval = "?chkme=" + imgName_bfr + "&rootstr=" + tmppluginServername; pagetitle = ""; urlstr = zoominto_URLEncode(document.location); zoomarr=zoomres.split("x",2) playerwidth=parseInt(zoomarr[0]);// 800 tablewidth=playerwidth ;//-2 ;//798 playerheight=parseInt(zoomarr[1]);//600; adwidth=468;//playerwidth -10 ;//768; adheight=60; document.getElementById("div_plugin_img_player").innerHTML = "
    \n"; document.getElementById('resselect').value=zoomres; }

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Time to tear Fenway down : If your idea of "the experience" includes uncomfortable seating, urine smell, rat infested with mile long lines for the bathroom I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV. Not to mention the beige colored franks........
    Posted by The---Babe---

I think Red Sox fans are quite happy for you to stay home.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Teardown Fenway? 

What we need to tear down is the Japanese automobile market so that we can export more U.S. cars. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

Perhaps not but those mentioned .... Fenway absolutely needs to be replaced.  Lets face it, none of those places mentioned need to generate revenue like a MLB team's home field is required to do today.  In fact ALL of those mentioned are trophies, .. not 21st century sporting venues.

Not with some 70K seat park that will be half empty for a lot of games.  However, when it is replaced, not if, it will have likely about 40-45K seats.  The field will look a lot like, if not identical to, the current Fenway, "Monsta" with Monster seating and all.  What will be different is there will be easy access to the MUCH better seats from the many new and IMPROVED concessions and bathrooms.  It will have a number of new elevators and escalators so that the faithful don't feel like they need to train just to get to their seats.  IT WILL HAVE PARKING, (which also means it might not be in Boston proper to accommodate this aspect). Like it or not, it will have a VIP section like the Yankees have that the faithful will ridicule relentlessly, .. as do Yankees fans do with the "Mote".  

Fenway will be replaced, likely the planning will start in earnest after it's centennial.  The RS need it to compete.  They need better revenue streams with higher profit margins less they truly become second class citizens.  Also, the fans need it too.  They need a first class venue, .. despite the Flat Earth Societies encouragement to stick with essentially the Model T of baseball venues.  BUt, ... and it's a BIG but, .. everything will be more expensive.  Of couse that's not new in life.

Sections
Shortcuts