Tip o' the Cap to Yu Darvish!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Tip o' the Cap to Yu Darvish!

Spun quite the gem. The shift may have cost him a no-hitter.

Dominant pitching is always a fun thing to watch, even when it's at the expense of the Olde Towne Team.

Going to be an interesting season...it's looking like 90 wins would absolutely run away with the east.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Tip o' the Cap to Yu Darvish!

And to preempt the goofy error judgement, it was technically a very correct call:

""This is a judgment call,'' explained official scorer Steve Weller. "In my judgment, when the ball goes up in the air, I felt like the second baseman or the right fielder, under normal effort, could've clearly caught the ball. I don't think there's a lot of argument about that. Under the rule, 10.12a1, it clearly states that a fly ball that lands, that's allowed to hit the ground, that in the judgment of the official scorer under normal effort could be caught -- you're to award an error on that play. "

http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/sox-controversial-call-extended-no-hitter?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

USUALLY this is ruled a hit. That doesn't change the rules though, just because scorers usually ignore this rule doesn't mean it SHOULD be ignored.

Pedroia and Ortiz weigh in:

Dustin Pedroia chose a more diplomatic approach (Farrel commented that it's rare to see a ball not touching a player ruled an error).

"I don't get paid to think about stuff like that,'' he said. "The (official scorer's) got a difficult job. I don't have an opinion either way. I've got to worry about hitting Yu Darvish.'' (that last line was absolutely perfect)

Ortiz, not surprisingly, was animated about the call.

"OK, I know I hit a ball that was supposed to be caught,'' said Ortiz. "A guy throwing a no-hitter...we all understand that. But when it comes down to the rules in the game, that's a hit. That's the rule we all know and that's the rule the game has had for more than 100 years. A ball in the outfield drops and nobody touches it? That's a hit.'' (-_-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Interestingly enough, in the last game of the Oakland series, Reddick was also charged with an error on a ball hit by Gomes that he misplayed but didn't touch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Interestingly enough, in the last game of the Oakland series, Reddick was also charged with an error on a ball hit by Gomes that he misplayed but didn't touch.

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's a conspiracy to keep team AVG down!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

The official scorers are so inconsistent that I don't even pay attention.  I've seen balls that a little leaguer could easily catch, but the OF completely misjudges, misses it by a foot, and they call it a hit.  Time to 'team errors'.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

The official scorers are so inconsistent that I don't even pay attention.  I've seen balls that a little leaguer could easily catch, but the OF completely misjudges, misses it by a foot, and they call it a hit.  Time to 'team errors'.

I agree with Papi. He called into MLBNET last night and cited a few examples where in the past similar plays were ruled a hit. His point being the official scorers need to get their act together.

He said he felt he had two hits last night and so do I. That was Rios ball and he failed to call off the 2nd baseman.

But a great game by Darvish. This guy is everything that was advertised. So many different pitches that he can throw at different speeds. He'll get his no-hitter at some point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Darvish indeed pitched a gem, and would have gotten the no-no against a team without Papi.  Kudos to Papi to prevent the no hit.

Now that is behind, time to get back to 500 and climb on that W column and the division.  Yankees and Orioles could start separating if Sox don't make a run, although still too early in the season.  I am hoping Yankees' starting rotation and Orioles' BP to help out Sox in making the run.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No doubt Darvish is a hell of a pitcher!  But, there is no denying that our lineup has done a hell of a job making loads of pitchers LOOK great.

Sections
Shortcuts