Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka

Nice work today. Great outing. Deserves praise. Hope he continues.
  2. 3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1R2ADRA_enUS400%26biw%3D1053%26bih%3D409%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1" class="rg_l">

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka

The fans won't praise much...as you can see.  That was a great outing today and the guy stepped up in an envionment where many were ready with pitchforks.  Nice job Dice K!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

this is dice k for you, you never know what you are going to get from the guy hes either going to be lights out or hes going to get lit up. maybe we will see some more lights out dice this year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I wonder what his next outting will be like... but congrats all the same on the low pitch count Victory!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Nice game Dice-K. Great job!

But I won't be a hypocrite. Dice-K has to consistently pitch decently (not great) before he proves me wrong on my prediction of mediocrity. And I really hope he does! I promise to start a thread stating I was wrong about Dice-K as soon as he pitches a few good games. Go Dice-K! Make me eat my words!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lscheue. Show lscheue's posts

Great game by Matsuzaka!!!  Give him all the rest he needs between starts.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

We kill him when he's bad so let's priase him when he's good! A great outing today!!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Karlosantonylimtiaco. Show Karlosantonylimtiaco's posts

perhaps now is the time to trade him when his value could not be higher? i trust FO knows what vthey are doing. nice to see a few wins in a row. now this is like it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Ditto, and no "buts."

What a difference from his last start, where everything was right down the middle, kind of like he was doing it on purpose just to show those who insist he must attack the strike zone wrong.  Does anyone think Varitek might have been a big contributor in this?  Even if Tek only hits .200 or so, if this is how Dice-K and Beckett pitch when he is behind the plate, then make him catch 2 out of every 5 games.  (Actually, the only pitcher who has proven he can pitch to Salty so far is Lester.)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka:
    [QUOTE]perhaps now is the time to trade him when his value could not be higher? i trust FO knows what vthey are doing. nice to see a few wins in a row. now this is like it.
    Posted by Karlosantonylimtiaco[/QUOTE]

enough with the trade talk.  a. he has a NO TRADE CLAUSE in his contract.  B. why trade a good fifth starter, makes no sense at all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

Got to give DK credit today. He pitched great!
    I was one of the fans that wanted him gone.
    If he can continue to pitch like this, I will change my mind.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Great game Matsuzaka san! Three in row, Woo-Hoo!!! We have a pitching staff!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka :   enough with the trade talk.  a. he has a NO TRADE CLAUSE in his contract.  B. why trade a good fifth starter, makes no sense at all.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I would think it is well known by everyone by now that Dice-K has a no trade clause, but the thought is that if he's that unhappy here in Boston that he would waive the no trade clause.

As for why trade a good 5th starter. Although I really want to congratulate Dice-K for a great start today, hope he gets over what his problems might be, and hope he continues to pitch well, you trade your 5th starter if he is inconsistant, and gets bombed as much as Dice-K has. Let's just hope that Young, the new pitching coach who has a reputation for being one of the best can help Dice find his way. 

Hetchinspete.   

• You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Seven innings, 88 pitches, 1 hit, no runs, great command. Who was that guy?!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka : I would think it is well known by everyone by now that Dice-K has a no trade clause, but the thought is that if he's that unhappy here in Boston that he would waive the no trade clause. As for why trade a good 5th starter. Although I really want to congratulate Dice-K for a great start today, hope he gets over what his problems might be, and hope he continues to pitch well, you trade your 5th starter if he is inconsistant, and gets bombed as much as Dice-K has. Let's just hope that Young, the new pitching coach who has a reputation for being one of the best can help Dice find his way.  Hetchinspete.   
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

As long as Dice has been healthy, he has been actually pretty darn effective.  And, you generally expect your fifth starter to be somewhat inconsistent:  that is why they are a fifth starter.  But if your fifth starter can get you 12-16 wins, which we know is well within Dice's capacity, you might be kinda crazy for wanting to trade that pitcher.

As for Dice being unhappy in boston, that is a fanciful construct of the imagination of some fans and some press.  He has, and should be, unhappy with his poor performances and tough couple years.  But, other than some early bucking at the reins of the American pitching system, he has shown nothing either way of happiness or unhappiness with the Red Sox.  We would be inferring his unhapiness with no support for our inference if we were to do so.

My take has been, and is still, this guy is going to play an important role for this club.  The reports of Dice's demise/misery are way overblown.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

A fantastic game...let's hope he builds on it for a successful season. Many have been counting the guy out completely, and if he could start giving us some regular quality starts out of the #5 spot it would be absolutely huge.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The situation in Japan has to have been weighing on him(not an exuse simply an issue to think about) and kudos to the guy for finding himself particularly after that train wreck of a performance last week!  Toronto's lineup is also not a bad one!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Spotting his pitches like Greg Maddux...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Pitched a great game. Got a large enough lead so even tito couldn't mess this one up. Nice work Dice-K hope you can build on this one.

In Response to Tip of the cap to Matsuzaka:
    [QUOTE]Nice work today. Great outing. Deserves praise. Hope he continues. 3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1R2ADRA_enUS400%26biw%3D1053%26bih%3D409%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1 " class="rg_l" />  
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]