Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Re: Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times...

i actually can't believe i read this entire thread. can i have my 5minutes back? Some of these anti Tito BS being spewed is sad and beyond stupid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times...

In Response to Re: Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times...:
    i actually can't believe i read this entire thread. can i have my 5minutes back? Some of these anti Tito BS being spewed is sad and beyond stupid.
    Posted by lvanDrago

Yeah, here's the golden rule:  DON'T READ IT.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Looks like you hit a nerve. The sox could very well have won the series in 03 had it not been for a manager who very much like the one we now have. That team was not as good as the one tito got handed to him in 04. He bumbled his way through the playoffs and the team did win and everyone was happy. But this team is even better than the 04 and 07 team and they are playing like the way tito manages(bad).

Someone mentioned he was in philly when they had a lousy team. Well the sox have a great team and they are not playing well at all. So I once again ask who is the common denominator? (Hint Tito) That should tell you something. Perhaps the philly teams would have produced if they had someone who actually knew how to manage!

In Response to Re: Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times...:
    In Response to Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times... : Do you truly believe he "led" the 2004 team to a championship?? He was a putrid manager in Philly and because of Schilling, he got the job here. Any high school coach could have won with the 2004 team. The fact that the Sox had to overcome his managerial deficiencies to win speaks for itself. He never was, is not now and never will be a competent baseball manager. The Sox should have been a dynasty in the last seven plus years. Instead fans are grateful that the Sox have been able to overcome a managerial idiot and won 2 titles. They should have been in 4 and maybe 5 World Series in the last 7 plus years. The way i see it, Francona has prevented the team from succeeding 5 out of 7 years that he's been the mangler. So instead of a hero that led the Sox to being called a dynasty, he's held them back from more glory! The mentality of some fans was illustrated after yesterdays game...they said,"We won the game, didn't we?" It was another of the 15 to 20 "In Spite Of" games that will happen this year, just as they've happened every year of Francona's tenure here.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Looks like you hit a nerve. The sox could very well have won the series in 03 had it not been for a manager who very much like the one we now have. That team was not as good as the one tito got handed to him in 04. He bumbled his way through the playoffs and the team did win and everyone was happy. But this team is even better than the 04 and 07 team and they are playing like the way tito manages(bad). Someone mentioned he was in philly when they had a lousy team. Well the sox have a great team and they are not playing well at all. So I once again ask who is the common denominator? (Hint Tito) That should tell you something. Perhaps the philly teams would have produced if they had someone who actually knew how to manage! In Response to Re: Tito "inherited a championship team".... Gee, No wonder they played so poorly at times... :
    Posted by REDSOX-11

That is really good analytical comparison 11:  Tito's Red Sox team in the first half of April 2011 and his clubs over his entire Philly tenure.  The common denominator is certainly Tito.  All we have to do is overlook the great success of his clubs in between these two bookends and you have a fantastic point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Spaceman ... I iggied 11 ... there's no hope for him.  His thinking process works more poorly than his outlook on the failures of Tito's management skills.

And that, we all know is really poor....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

What do guys want?

Theo replaced the inherited championship team of 1918 with newer guys.  They won two World Series.

Theo was called a bum for letting certain high calibre players "get away" and he comes along and gets some of those high quality players .... and they playe poorly for now.  For now. 

May I ask you to cast your eyes on the Ancient Adversary to the south?  THe year?  2009.  The very same season Theo didn't get "Teix".  But the AA signed three players to $462 -ish million contracts .... and started off slowly.

But we played well.

Care to tell me where the poorly starting AA finished????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think the Red Sox have bought one too many players - and now like the Yankees you can expect a lot of near misses with 1 or 2 WSC every 10 years..... but for me that saps the hell out of my enthusiasm.  Nothing is worse than the direction MLB is heading....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Burrito, I totally agree with your statement, Ive always loved the homegrown talent and i believe if we look back at the last 20 years you will see many teams that won with homegrown talent. It is not easy playing for the Boston Red Sox, I personally believe that the pressure is  actually higher than playing for the Yanks. Some people just cannot cut it under the spotlight of hell! Seems when they are brought up through the system they are gradually introduced to the pressure, I also think that home grown ball players are not put under the scrutiny that high priced free agents are under, hence a little bit easier to play without the pressure. Just my thoughts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

promise try getting the members of this board that claim to be righteous and true RS fans - they will never admit to any of this.

Carl Crawford was unnecessary - Tampa seems okay without him.  Lackey was an extravagant b-chip purchase, again unnecessary.  

Gonzalez no matter what the end result is was a necessary piece - and lets hope it pans out.  Even if it doesn't I will always support the move.  I do not make my judgements after the fact - 

I do not want to purchase rings!  

Anyhow thanks for agreeing - good to know I am not alone in this respect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

I have to admit, i was against the Gonzo trade, I wanted to keep the kids. I have nothing against Gonzo and he is one hell of a player. Ive never been a fan of big money free agent signings either, I believe they will be the destruction of our game. And quite honestly I think they only work out about 40% of the time, go ask teams like the Mets and Blue Jays how theirs worked out and there are plenty more. Maybe one of the stats guys will go back and look at big money signings and show how many actually worked out and then maybe they can look at what player was taken in the draft for signing that player and how they did in their careers. Despite 2 WS wins, I long for the old days when teams were built from with in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Eddie Kasko's kiddie corps!  The best of times - not since matched.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Promise ... I have nothing against the homegrown teams.  I am a child of the pre-free agency days myself.

This thread was specifically based on the ridiculous notion that Tito was handed a team that was already a championship one.  All he did was ride it to the winning end.  If it were just that easy, then surely any number of our highly rated skippers in the recent past (last 30 to 40 years or so ...) would surely have won several, but none ever delivered one ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Burrito -

Not sure I can agree.

If we win a WS every decade or so, we will certainly sate the crown needs for many. 

I also tire of the double standard of the FO stinking because they didn't get the players needed and when they do, it's a mistake too.

I realize you and Promise are talking of a different issue than most.  You're talking more of the team as it's developed or built.  I'm more focused on the morass of maroons that complain no matter what and never give credit where it's due.

I am pleased with both Adrian and Carl.  I am surprised we got Adrian.  I went on record saying that we never would land him.  After all, 3 years of chasing ....

I am just about as pleased we got Carl.  We may have overpaid some, even the candid Carl seems to think so.  But the argument over whether we needed someone or not seemed moot to me.  I really am grateful for our emergency sustitute OF of last year ...but I don't think they were ready for a title run either.

But again ... this is more about the abject negativity thrown at Tito ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Easy my friend, the conversation kinda shifted. You know I would never knock my sox, players or management. I did not mean to interrupt any conversation pertaining to your lead. Not sure why your message seemed so angry? As I said am not a Tito fan, my personal feeling is he handles pitchers poorly, but again, I know nothing, these guys make big bucks to do what they do! There is nothing wrong with a thread leading to other conversations. Sometimes they go south and are repeated to no end. I do apologize if I offended you, that was certainly not my point in my post's, I was merely having a conversation with Burrito, If i had started another thread to do that I would have been chastised by someone else. I have to admit my friend i'm really confused by your post to me. Be safe out there, again sorry I offended you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes on all fronts - who doesn't love the Red Sox!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The team sports a fusion of FA's and farm products.
    This fusion is necessary to sustain a competitive group that also allows for a re-building process.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 4/16/2007
    Last: 5/7/2011
    Easy my friend, the conversation kinda shifted. You know I would never knock my sox, players or management. I did not mean to interrupt any conversation pertaining to your lead. Not sure why your message seemed so angry? As I said am not a Tito fan, my personal feeling is he handles pitchers poorly, but again, I know nothing, these guys make big bucks to do what they do! There is nothing wrong with a thread leading to other conversations. Sometimes they go south and are repeated to no end. I do apologize if I offended you, that was certainly not my point in my post's, I was merely having a conversation with Burrito, If i had started another thread to do that I would have been chastised by someone else. I have to admit my friend i'm really confused by your post to me. Be safe out there, again sorry I offended you.

No worries at all, Promise.  Didn't mean to sound antagoinstic.  That would be the last thing I meant. 

I did not mean to chastise or criticize in any fashion. 

I guess I was too concise saying I was a pre-free agency child ... that means I am right there with the notion of homegrowns and all the pleasure that comes from seeing them come to blossom.  Youk is a great example.  Did anything and everything the parent team asked.  Bounced between Pawtucket and Boston three times a day if needed.  Then became an everyday.  Then became a mainstay and big producer.

I do lovingly accept Adrian and Carl into the fold.  They were both HUGE surprises to me.  I suppose that is why I am all the more thrilled they are here. 

And like you, I'm gonna stand behind any Red Sox come hell or high water.

I am sorry that it sounded bad in any fashion.

Heck, I was trying to call out those other guys ... the ones who are so fiercely angry at the team and calling for heads.  That's all.

Mia Culpa. 

I'm the last one to complain about threads going off in different directions ... I wasn't complaining about that ... I was just trying to explain what I had started the thread about.  LOL  I'm chasing my tail here.  I was trying to be a good thread author and respond to each person.  Ooops.

You don't have to be a TIto fan.  I've had my own issues about his pitching decisions and have said so ...

What I'm talking about is the overly negative stuff.  Emphasis on "overly."

Sections
Shortcuts