Tito has thrown in the towel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Tito has thrown in the towel

babying all of pitchers like they were just hatched ducklings and this lineup tonite without our 2 high priced superstars...I will say exactly what I said in 2009 -
    YOU CAN'T BACK INTO THE PLAYOFFS....I was 100% correct then and I will be again-

expect another short playoff experience....maybe then we can get rid of this albatross of a manager

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel

In Response to Tito has thrown in thr towel:
    [QUOTE]babying all of pitchers like they were just hatched ducklings and this lineup tonite without our 2 high priced superstars...I will say exactly what I said in 2009 - YOU CAN'T BACK INTO THE PLAYOFFS....I was 100% correct then and I will be again- expect another short playoff experience....maybe then we can get rid of this albatross of a manager
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Good for you.  You're staking your claim before the game starts.  I think a day off makes sense for AGon because his hitting has dropped off, especially with RISP.  His lowest monthly rbi total this season was last month, and September promises to be worse. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Tito has thrown in the towel

hardly...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From NESN.com:

Gonzalez had started every game since July 29. Of the three games he has missed this season, two have seen Romero on the mound. Gonzalez and Crawford are a combined 3-for-23 (.130) with eight strikeouts against zero walks against Romero.

The shuffle allows Dustin Pedroia to bat third for the first time since July 6, which was also the last time Boston faced Romero. Marco Scutaro jumps up to the second spot in the lineup, looking to extend an impressive four-game hitting streak. Scutaro is batting .563 (9-for-17) with nine RBIs during the surge.

Kevin Youkilis takes Gonzalez's spot at first base. Jed Lowrie will start at third. Lowrie is 5-for-8 in his career against Romero. The top six hitters in the Boston batting order are 41-for-96 (.427) vs. the lefty

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Tito has thrown in thr towel : Good for you.  You're staking your claim before the game starts.  I think a day off makes sense for AGon because his hitting has dropped off, especially with RISP.  His lowest monthly rbi total this season was last month, and September promises to be worse. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

That's the ticket. Sit our best player. I'm sure Lowrie will pick upt the slack. If not him, Dmac for sure!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel : That's the ticket. Sit our best player. I'm sure Lowrie will pick upt the slack. If not him, Dmac for sure!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Look at the numbers.That's why the line up is set up like it is.

Gonzalez and Crawford are a combined 3-for-23 (.130) with eight strikeouts against zero walks against Romero.

Jed Lowrie will start at third. Lowrie is 5-for-8 in his career against Romero. The top six hitters in the Boston batting order are 41-for-96 (.427) vs. the lefty

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xmen. Show xmen's posts

maxbialystock can Francona do any wrong in your eyes.Unbeleivable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel : That's the ticket. Sit our best player. I'm sure Lowrie will pick upt the slack. If not him, Dmac for sure!

You do know, don't you, that no best player is the best all the time? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IN TITO I TRUST .... I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HIM ALL THE TIME !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He should play these guys until their backs break.  He should run them into the ground.  After all, winning the division is so much more important than being ready for the post season.

They are 7 games ahead in the Wild Card.  No one can catch them.

They have 2 choices - go full out for the division and home field advantage, or focus on being ready for the post season (if the win the division, then great, if not, fine - after all, they've won the WS in the past as the WC).

Remember all the belly aching at the end of the 2007 season?  Constant complaining about how often Gagne was getting the ball?  I forget how they did in the post season that year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I think the Sox take the game but you live by the numbers, you die by the numbers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

What are you talking about, Ellsbury is playing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel:
    [QUOTE]He should play these guys until their backs break.  He should run them into the ground.  After all, winning the division is so much more important than being ready for the post season. They are 7 games ahead in the Wild Card.  No one can catch them. They have 2 choices - go full out for the division and home field advantage, or focus on being ready for the post season (if the win the division, then great, if not, fine - after all, they've won the WS in the past as the WC). Remember all the belly aching at the end of the 2007 season?  Constant complaining about how often Gagne was getting the ball?  I forget how they did in the post season that year.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

yea because our players are sooooo overworked....get a grip...our manager has GIVEN UP - where is that thread froma  few days ago asking people who has given up??? forward that to Francona and let him sign off on it...you people are morons if you dont think that the lineups for the rest of September wont be filled with scrubs....once again our manager has blown an All-Star Game lead and led us to another wild card spot....big whoop...too bad many of you Sox fans who care so much about your manager's rep dont care as much about your team winning and beating the Yanks for the division....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xmen. Show xmen's posts

No one can catch them.They lose tonight and Tampa's 6 behind.We play them 6 more times.With the pitching we have right now anything is possible.This probably won't happen,but lets be real.After being a Red Sox fan for 45yrs. anything is possible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]maxbialystock can Francona do any wrong in your eyes.Unbeleivable.
    Posted by xmen[/QUOTE]

It's this simple.  He has been doing this professionally for about 22 years, plus he played the game at the MLB level.  Plus he has all those stats to inform his judgment as well as his own knowledge of the players.  There is no way we can put together a better lineup than he can. 

But, even when he does put together a good lineup, bad things can happen.  Recently he put Ortiz in the 4 slot, which made all kinds of sense against a righty starter and considering that Youk hasn't been Youk since he came off the DL.  So what happens?  In the very first inning Ellsbury, Pedroia, and AGon all reach, giving Ortiz the bases loaded with nobody out.  So Ortiz strikes out.  Now, if that had happened in the 9th inning with a close game, this board would light up with accusations of ineptitude--not directed at Ortiz, but at Francona.  Or take that recent Yankee game when the Sox were down in the 9th but had loaded up the bases against Rivera and AGon struck out.  His fault?  No way.  That was Francona's fault. 

Francona is going to makes mistakes, but not many of them.  And, even when he does, he will have good reasons for why he did something. 

Away from Boston it's hard to find any commentators who agree with the boo birds on this board who insist Francona is the worst manager in MLB, costs the Sox many losses, doesn't know about managing pitchers, etc, etc. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xmen. Show xmen's posts

georom4.I started a discussion on this subject a week or so ago.I agree with you.You don't play to be second best.All these Red Sox fans that are always happy with winning the wild card are a bunch of losers.I wonder if the Yankees and their fans feel this way.I think not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xmen. Show xmen's posts

Yeah he was a hall of fame player.He manages as well as he played the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel : yea because our players are sooooo overworked....get a grip...our manager has GIVEN UP - where is that thread froma  few days ago asking people who has given up??? forward that to Francona and let him sign off on it...you people are morons if you dont think that the lineups for the rest of September wont be filled with scrubs....once again our manager has blown an All-Star Game lead and led us to another wild card spot....big whoop...too bad many of you Sox fans who care so much about your manager's rep dont care as much about your team winning and beating the Yanks for the division....

Geo, if the rest of the month is filled with a line-up of scrubs, i will eat my hat, change my screenname to space moron, and admit that Tito is a bad manager.  But, it won't be.  Sure, he will rest guys.  And I am very glad he will. I want everyone ready to go for the post.  Every manager salts in some rest in September.  Its standard practice, for a reason.

As for tonight, Gonzalez and Crawford have never been able to see Romero with a telescope.  Why force a square peg in a round hole?  The ideal night to give them a night off.  It has nothing to do with babying.  The line-up as is is actually much more likely to hit Ricky.  Disagree if you must, but see it for what it is.  This isn;t about babying anyone.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]georom4.I started a discussion on this subject a week or so ago.I agree with you.You don't play to be second best.All these Red Sox fans that are always happy with winning the wild card are a bunch of losers.I wonder if the Yankees and their fans feel this way.I think not.
    Posted by xmen[/QUOTE]

Who is playing for second place or wild card and who is rooting for it?  No one I know of. 

The problem right now is that of the opening day starters only Lester and Lackey are available, and Lackey continues to look bad.  Against Toronto and then Tampa Bay, we are going to see the likes of Miller, Weiland, Lackey, and, finally Lester (facing Price at Tropicana).  The pitching is broken, period.  Last night our ace setup man gave up 5 runs.  Albers, once effective, looks awful.  Wheeler, recently better, is slipping back.  Morales is not a factor.  Aceves has been a great long reliever, but . . .  Doubront and Bowden are both chancy.  Only Papelbon has remained solid.  And Bard has most of the time.

You want to know who has thrown in the towel?  It's Becket, Buchholz, Matsuzaka, Bedard, Lackey, Wakefield, Albers, Wheeler, Jenks, Atchison, et al.  Bard, last night notwithstanding, Papelbon, and Lester are all ready to pitch and pitch well.  In the lineup possible towel-throwers have to include Drew, Crawford, Lowrie, McDonald, Cameron, Aviles, and maybe Youkilis.  Plus right now both Pedroia and AGon are backsliding a little. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

space u are my fav poster on bdc for a number of reasons (first and foremost your screenname is my boyhood idol) but the "injuries" that have sidelined Beckett and Bedard are phantom injuries and will be milked JD Drew style to "rest" everyone....maybe its the built in hate I have for the Yankees (before wild card)  but I HATE losing to them for the division championship -  I am not consoled by the wild card and disagree with  our manager that the most important thing is to get in the plaoffs and to be rested...as far as our hitters being benched to save them from hitting tough lefties, I can not accept that...not in April or May, and certainly not in Septemeber when we will be facing serious pitching in the post-season ....are we going to play DMac then?????
    you cant walk into the plyaoffs backward....I just hope we pull off 10/12 to end the regular reason....we lost a great opportunoity to play most of american league games in Fenway during the post season

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

What is Reddick doing in there? TF must have forgot about Connor Jackson,Nate Spears, Mike Aviles. He's really going against the matchup metrics tonight. He must have got permission from Bill James on this one. "T" better hope Reddick doesn't do anything close to spectacular tonight ,like get a couple of hits against Romero or make a catch and throw out somewhere, or maybe drive in a run or two from the 8 hole. As the thread states, he must have thrown in the towel when there are so many RH'ed pretenders he could have used.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]space u are my fav poster on bdc for a number of reasons (first and foremost your screenname is my boyhood idol) but the "injuries" that have sidelined Beckett and Bedard are phantom injuries and will be milked JD Drew style to "rest" everyone....maybe its the built in hate I have for the Yankees (before wild card)  but I HATE losing to them for the division championship -  I am not consoled by the wild card and disagree with  our manager that the most important thing is to get in the plaoffs and to be rested...as far as our hitters being benched to save them from hitting tough lefties, I can not accept that...not in April or May, and certainly not in Septemeber when we will be facing serious pitching in the post-season ....are we going to play DMac then????? you cant walk into the plyaoffs backward....I just hope we pull off 10/12 to end the regular reason....we lost a great opportunoity to play all of american league games in Fenway during the post season

He has this line up in because it's the best line up to face Romero.Agon is hitting .167 against him,his replacement,Lowrie, is hitting .680. Francona has this line up in because he wants to win TONIGHT.
       The Yankees already lost today so this gives Boston the best chance to gain a game in the standings.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]space u are my fav poster on bdc for a number of reasons (first and foremost your screenname is my boyhood idol) but the "injuries" that have sidelined Beckett and Bedard are phantom injuries and will be milked JD Drew style to "rest" everyone....maybe its the built in hate I have for the Yankees (before wild card)  but I HATE losing to them for the division championship -  I am not consoled by the wild card and disagree with  our manager that the most important thing is to get in the plaoffs and to be rested...as far as our hitters being benched to save them from hitting tough lefties, I can not accept that...not in April or May, and certainly not in Septemeber when we will be facing serious pitching in the post-season ....are we going to play DMac then????? you cant walk into the plyaoffs backward....I just hope we pull off 10/12 to end the regular reason....we lost a great opportunoity to play most of american league games in Fenway during the post season

Hey, I agree with you wholeheartedly about settling for the WC.  A. Personally it sticks in my craw to concede the division to he Yankees.  B.  More importantly, backing into the playoffs is a bad thing.  But, where I disagree is the perceived motives.  i don;t think tito is settling for anything. I don't think beckett or Bedard are phantom injuries.  And, i don't think tito is conceding anything.  I just don't see any real evidence that he is.  Resting Gonzo and CC tonight?  Already deiscussed:  they blow vs. romero.  Beckett and Bedard?  I don't know.  You might be right, but it is totally conjecture at this point.  The team is scuffling right now, but it is not due to some sort of macro-backing-off-the-pedal that is happening.   Its just baseball.  I don't want to see them back into playoffs either G.  '09 was a bitter end.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xmen. Show xmen's posts

We will have to face lefties all through the playoffs ,are we going to bench certain starters then.No we will not.Better to start letting them face them now,to get some at bats against them.Many posters on this board have said they're satisfied with the wild card.that way we can rest players for the playoffs.I think the Yankees have no problem winning the division and being ready for the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]We will have to face lefties all through the playoffs ,are we going to bench certain starters then.No we will not.Better to start letting them face them now,to get some at bats against them.Many posters on this board have said they're satisfied with the wild card.that way we can rest players for the playoffs.I think the Yankees have no problem winning the division and being ready for the playoffs.
    Posted by xmen[/QUOTE]

Yes,you're right.The Sox are going to settle for winning the wild card.Maybe if they get lucky Tampa will pass them to so they won't have to exert themselves in the postseason.
      We should all concentrate on football now.The Red Sox aren't trying to win.
     SMH.