Tito has thrown in the towel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Tito has thrown in the towel

In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel:
    [QUOTE]i was wrong in 2009??? LOLOLOL    i was totally right about the playoffs (and you my friend were wrong about our chances)...you are referring to the Sox before they traded for VMART when they stumbling...which made all the difference (it allowed us to get swept in three games)....yea ok harness - you want to hold me to that - let's talk about your support for Cameron and your belief that Ells was better off in right field....will you own up to that? LOL  as a matter of fact lets put up my predictions to yours regarding wakefield, the playoffs, important games, the rotation....you pick it...what you will find is that not only do i have the huevos to make a prediction, but im usually right..actually closer to 100% -  you on the other hand are good at cutting at pasting and reacting to other people's posts with your usual mixture of meaningless minutia and personal pettiness.... I'm telling you that Tito has mailed it in for the season....are you going to comment on that? I told you that our manager doesnt have the intestinal fortitude to go for the division championship because that would require hard choices and he's a soft guy...so soft in fact that apparently our players can even get dressed without hurting themselves....I'm telling you that Wakefield will be in the playoff roster because even though he stinks, our manager is weak and wont tell veterans the cold hard truth (like to go retire). i ALSO MADE A PREDICTION (AN EASY ONE MIND YOU) that TampA will not pass us - The question for you an all the other bootlicking apologists is why are you so willing to concede the division to the Yanks and not admit that our manager once again blew it? Another All-star break lead wasted...hmmm see a pattern? You guys always accuse Softy of putting his opinions before the team but you are just as bad. You would rather cover up for your manager that you defend to save face because you wont' admit that youre wrong about him...he is a bad field manager who cant manage a bullpen, cant condition his players properly, and most sadly, cant motivate his players to play consistent, dominate baseball (the way their payroll and talent says they should be playing) I started this thread before the game and cited the starting lineup as proof...was i wrong? did i get lucky again? I guess i just gave up on them (of course what does that say about our manager who has already admitted that winning the division is just not the important)????
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Yes, you were wrong. Tito took two players with poor numbers against opposing starter out in favor of ones with better numbers. That's a tough one, eh?

In 2009 you said there was a better chance of a mid-air collision between the Rangers and the Rays than Boston making the playoffs. You said this when they were in fact leading in the WC race - in August.

So spare me your doom/gloom predictions. You were wrong in 2009 in that the team did make the post season, so anything 'predicted' afterwards is not relevant.
    Spineless fans quit. To then claim Tito is weak is completely hypercritical of you.

In 2009, I said they lost any advantage they had when Tito chose VMART to catch the staff. He should have manned first over Lowell, with Tek catching Beckett/Lester.

Last year Cameron was hurt. So was Jake. Their seasons were both lost.

This year you actually had them winning 100 games. UR optimism has turned completely sour as you can't handle or admit to coming up short. Weak managers don't win rings. They don't survive in Boston's fanatical landscape.

Is Tito to blame for the pitching set-backs? You call Josh's ankle sprain phony, with no conclusive knowledge of the situation. That tells me all I need to know. Your season win projections fell short, so you blame the manager.

Show me a more successful Boston manager in UR lifetime. Or better yet, become a NY Mets fan. Then you'll see how not to run an organization.

You were a decent poster this year while you had some faith.
    But you reverted back to jelly without it. That was an easy call.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why didn't he pinch hit Gonzalez when they were down 3? Why did he bat Spears?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Darnell McDonald is hitting what for the season? How much is invested in McDonald, is he the go-to player in Sox lineups? CC makes 142 million to what? platoon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

so AGON could rest before he needed to rest.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I am not consoled by the wild card and disagree with  our manager that the most important thing is to get in the plaoffs and to be rested.."

This is one of the wackiest things I have ever read in this forum. You're basically saying you care more about winning the division than the World Series and you judge your manager based on that premise. Good thing you aren't in charge. I really don't care about division titles, once you talk about the pennant, I get interested. 

I love how you place it all on Francona by rationalizing the injuries of pitchers who CAN'T PLAY right now. 

If Francona doesn't make the wild card there will be fair and justified criticisms but I for one am willing to let it play out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I realize that injuries are the reason the Sox are having such a tough time of it...but I just think that the past few years injuries seem to visit the Sox teams way too much.  Maybe they need a better training regimen that helps avoid injuries.  Most of the injuries are not from collisions or the like - they are from muscle pulls, strains, etc. - especially the pitching staff.  At any rate they can't continue to pay top dollar and field 2nd rate players especially against the east - injuries not withstanding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If your salary were doubled, would you perform UR tasks twice as fast or more effectively?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Why didn't he pinch hit Gonzalez when they were down 3? Why did he bat Spears?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Unless there was something we don't know, I agree with this.  I think resting the guys is a good idea, but Tito tends to rest guys completely.  I don't think one AB would bother Gonzo.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Exactly, joe....exactly....but Tito's philosophy is if a guy sits, he wants them to sit the whole night, rest the whole game...I don't discount the reasoning, but again sometimes you have to be flexible, sometimes the circumstances warrant "forcing" the players to play rather than sit during a time when the team could pick up ground. It's a big failing of Tito's. He never thinks about going for the jugular or going for the opening. The opening is there, and then he closes the door before there's even a chance to sneak through.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harness, for me, more effectively.  I would want to do well for my employer for giving me the money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Darnell McDonald is hitting what for the season? How much is invested in McDonald, is he the go-to player in Sox lineups? CC makes 142 million to what? platoon.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I care more about DMac's recent production than what he did in the first half.  since the end of June, his OPS is .793.  CC's production has been a bit better lately, with a .836 over his last 15 games, but his OPS v lefties this year is .567.  Even with his bad start, DMac is still at .754 against lefties this year.  Couple those stats with their histories against Romero, starting DMac over CC against Romero is an absolute no-brainer, imo.

Do you have any stats that suggest CC is more likely to hit Romero than DMac?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No, but I have stats to prove that the Sox just wasted 142 million on a platoon player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you just printed those stats that I can use in my defense of post 4871

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Exactly, joe....exactly....but Tito's philosophy is if a guy sits, he wants them to sit the whole night, rest the whole game...I don't discount the reasoning, but again sometimes you have to be flexible, sometimes the circumstances warrant "forcing" the players to play rather than sit during a time when the team could pick up ground. It's a big failing of Tito's. He never thinks about going for the jugular or going for the opening. The opening is there, and then he closes the door before there's even a chance to sneak through.

But that's a separate complaint.

You can't take the shotgun approach firing into the air and hoping a couple of pellets hit something.

This thread was started to criticize Tito for not starting CC and Gonzo.  Clearly Dmac was a better choice than CC under almost any conditions.  Starting Lowrie over Gonzo makes sense only if you plan on resting Gonzo at some point.  If you want to complain about resting players, that again is a different subject, and it's simply the team philosophy.

FWIW, I said yesterday that I thought Girardi made a mistake bringing in all the guys he had decided to rest.  But I didn't disagree with his decision not to bring in Mo today even though Proctor was melting down.  If it was up to me, I'd have every NYY regular playing every single day, but then again, I loathe the NYY.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]harness, for me, more effectively.  I would want to do well for my employer for giving me the money.

Well, then doesn't that mean you are not being as effective as you could be now?
    Do you feel you are earning UR current salary under false pretenses?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]harness, for me, more effectively.  I would want to do well for my employer for giving me the money.

You would want to, but you can't.  My boss can double my salary, but I'd never be able to double my production.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Tito has thrown in the towel:
    [QUOTE]babying all of pitchers like they were just hatched ducklings and this lineup tonite without our 2 high priced superstars...I will say exactly what I said in 2009 - YOU CAN'T BACK INTO THE PLAYOFFS....I was 100% correct then and I will be again- expect another short playoff experience....maybe then we can get rid of this albatross of a manager
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

In 2005, the Chicago White Sox had a 14 game lead over Cleveland on August 1.  On September 24 of that year, the White Sox had a 1.5 game lead over the Indians with 7 games left, the final 3 in a showdown against Cleveland.  The White Sox went 24-26 in that stretch while Cleveland went 40-13.  However, the Sox held on to win the division as they were saved by Cleveland finally struggling in a series with KC.  The final 3 games against Cleveland were barely meaningful, since the White Sox had a 3 game lead when they began.

And then White Sox went 11-1 in the post-season that year, including sweeping the World Series.

You sure teams cannot back into the post-season?

Or, we could go the other way.  Has any team ever entered the post-season or a World Series hotter than the 2007 Colorado Rockies?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]No, but I have stats to prove that the Sox just wasted 142 million on a platoon player.

It's not a waste, and he's not a platoon player, but he isn't worth $142M.  I understand, kind of, how the Nats' drunken spending on Werth into the stratosphere, but I'd have told him that if LAA had $142M, then so be it.  They're paying Wells more per season, so I assume they'd have paid it, but I think you have to draw a line.

He's a good player, but he's not a great player.

But that's not part of the thread either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel : Well, then doesn't that mean you are not being as effective as you could be now ? Do you feel you are earning UR current salary under false pretenses?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Yes, if I was making 142 million, I would be earning under false pretenses, and no wanting to be effective, being effective, and having the expectations of being effective are actually all different things.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Joe, you concede that you are proving that a .200 hitter in McDonald for statistical purposes and for pitcher matchup is a better choice than a 142-mil, All-Star LF signed with the idea that he would probably be a 145-game player at least. You can't then turn around and say that the money spent was spent on a "good" player. If he was a platoon player at best, then I'm not sure that is what the Sox were paying for. As for Tito using DMAC, that's his decision as manager with approval by the GM.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And then White Sox went 11-1 in the post-season that year, including sweeping the World Series.

You sure teams cannot back into the post-season? 

Or, we could go the other way.  Has any team ever entered the post-season or a World Series hotter than the 2007 Colorado Rockies?

Unless someone has a study, I think this is just urban myth.  The RS finished off 16-15,  The Rox finished off 23-8, with 14 of their last 15.  The Cards went 3-9 down the stretch and won.  Heck, they went 25-36 after 7/26.  In 2000, the NYY went an incredible 3-15 down the stretch prior to winning the WS.  CL went 32-10 down the stretch in 1995, and didn't win it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Joe, you concede that you are proving that a .200 hitter in McDonald for statistical purposes and for pitcher matchup is a better choice than a 142-mil, All-Star LF signed with the idea that he would probably be a 145-game player at least. You can't then turn around and say that the money spent was spent on a "good" player. If he was a platoon player at best, then I'm not sure that is what the Sox were paying for. As for Tito using DMAC, that's his decision as manager with approval by the GM.

He's a good player, but lots of good players can have splits, particularly lefties.  Under normal conditions, CC is a better start than DMac, but CC is not having a good year, and his splits v romero are much worse than DMac's.

Like you said, if you're looking at him to start 145 games, wouldn't it make sense to sit him the 17 games against pitchers that he can't hit?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]Why didn't he pinch hit Gonzalez when they were down 3? Why did he bat Spears?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Looking to get a kid his first major league hit instead of trying to win a ball game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel : He's a good player, but lots of good players can have splits, particularly lefties.  Under normal conditions, CC is a better start than DMac, but CC is not having a good year, and his splits v romero are much worse than DMac's. Like you said, if you're looking at him to start 145 games, wouldn't it make sense to sit him the 17 games against pitchers that he can't hit?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned that his not good year could have resulted in 60 or 70 games in which another hitter would have been a better alternative. That again would be my point that CC is not doing his job, nor is the team confident that he can do the job in an important Sept. game at Toronto.

Sections
Shortcuts