Tito in St. Louis?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Tito in St. Louis?

Finally another coaching job opens up for Tito (aside from the Sox) and it's a heavily veteran team with a rich tradition that knows how to win. Looks like a great fit for him. 

Maybe good things do happen to good people. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Tito in St. Louis?

Maybe it is a good move for him since he wouldnt have to see his team to play against the Boston team!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

He  is the best of any field  you put together...  but not sure if he can manage  National League ball....
    I don't think the Sox sacrificed more than 15  times in any of his years as manager.

He has a tendency  to   run the offense   waiting for the  home run to happen  and when it doesn't  it's  many long nights..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tito in St. Louis?:
    He  is the best of any field  you put together...  but not sure if he can manage  National League ball.... I don't think the Sox sacrificed more than 15  times in any of his years as manager. He has a tendency  to   run the offense   waiting for the  home run to happen  and when it doesn't  it's  many long nights..
    Posted by jackyldo

hard to know what was his personal philosophy on such things and what was organizational doctrine.  I don't think he had too much leeway in Boston to play smallball or manufacture runs.  Moneyball to the death.  It would be interesting to see him take over a club like st. Louis, which has had a totally different approach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

He  is the best of any field  you put together...  but not sure if he can manage  National League ball.... I don't think the Sox sacrificed more than 15  times in any of his years as manager. He has a tendency  to   run the offense   waiting for the  home run to happen  and when it doesn't  it's  many long nights..
    Posted by jackyldo

jacky, not sure how you can make that assertion, since Tito managed based on the line-up he was given:

The Sox did not sacrifice much because they were not a small-ball type line-up, and they were one of the top scoring line-ups in baseball year after year...so I guess Francona let the boys hit more times than trying to play small ball...doesn't mean he didn't know when a situation called for it.

The NL is designed more for bunting...considering the pitcher always bunts if there are any runners on and less than two outs.

The Tito bashers out there wanted him to manage the Sox using the old school baseball handbook which focused on manufacturing runs any way possible. Once again the Red Sox and Yankees and Rangers, Tigers, etc were not built for this type of play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Tito in St. Louis?:
    Finally another coaching job opens up for Tito (aside from the Sox) and it's a heavily veteran team with a rich tradition that knows how to win. Looks like a great fit for him.  Maybe good things do happen to good people. 
    Posted by wfdog

He probably would be a good choice for their next manager.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Posted by jackyldo

Tito managed for Philadelphia before he came to Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I think you are on to something, nice blog.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

With the Cards position opening now, it may just be saying that the Cards are not going to re-sign Pujols and that the job may be a bit more difficult without him on the team.  Can Tito fill the manager shoes? - of course he can - though many of the Sox faithful don't wish him well since he has now left Boston and Sox fans are not in the habit of embracing those departed sports personnel who left the team on bad terms.  I for one wish him well and would love one day to face him in a WS...and of course beat him!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I'm with Zill on this one, in that he most likely will and should take a year off. Chance to get healthier and clear his head of the mess that was the 2011 Red Sox. I do think he would have to readjust to the NL Manager job which is far more intensive, in game, than the AL. Double Switches, pitch hitting for the pitcher, managing the bull pen more are all things he did not have to worry about in Boston. Also the St. Louis roster was built for La Russa's style of over managing. Lots of role players like Shumaker, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Finally another coaching job opens up for Tito (aside from the Sox) and it's a heavily veteran team with a rich tradition that knows how to win. Looks like a great fit for him.  Maybe good things do happen to good people. 
    Posted by wfdog

Tito won two WS here in Boston but a few teams may be turned off with the fact he lost control of his team.  Having A resume that says you may be too soft to address certain issues can't help your cause.

Just a thought!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am thinking he is in a position to take the year off.

Those ads for Bigelow Tea plus the W.B.Mason commercials likely gave him a little financial cushion. Don't expect him to join any of the "occupy" groups , he may not be in the 1% but I'll bet he's not hurting for cash enough to jump on the first opening that comes along.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

I'm with Zill on this one, in that he most likely will and should take a year off. Chance to get healthier and clear his head of the mess that was the 2011 Red Sox. I do think he would have to readjust to the NL Manager job which is far more intensive, in game, than the AL. Double Switches, pitch hitting for the pitcher, managing the bull pen more are all things he did not have to worry about in Boston. Also the St. Louis roster was built for La Russa's style of over managing. Lots of role players like Shumaker, etc.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Yeah exactly, if you give any other manager thatteam they don't win the Series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

When he took over the Sox, he got a championship waiting to happen. In St Louis, he'd be getting a team that won the WS the previous year, and wasn't the best team. If they hire him, there would be a distinct possibility that they wouldn't make the playoffs. They certainly won't over achieve with him as manager.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

When he took over the Sox, he got a championship waiting to happen. In St Louis, he'd be getting a team that won the WS the previous year, and wasn't the best team. If they hire him, there would be a distinct possibility that they wouldn't make the playoffs. They certainly won't over achieve with him as manager.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Still insist on keeping your sig line? Can't you just let the hate go already? The man is gone. You should be happy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Fine I will knock on Tito a little more.

If Pujols remains you can expect Tito to rest Albert every Sunday (or in Tito's book Sub-day) regardless of the situation, and you can expect Holliday to be rested every Monday - effectively the Cardinals would be without 1 of their 2 best hitters twice a week. 

You can further expect Tito to nurture Adam Wainright's return from surgery all season long, never letting Adam surpass 99 pitches or 5 innings (whichever comes first).

You can also expect the same cautionary treatment to pitchers like Chris Carpenter. Carpenter had 4 complete games in 2011 and is a champ, however Tito will ensure that Chris never pitches even 8 innings let alone 9 in any one game.

This is exactly how it would be in MO. under Tito's management.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by wfdog

I find it very interesting that as much as Tito has been knocked by some around here, that every open manager's position has folks talking about how happy they would be to get him!

There are those in Chicago who set aside a long standing desire to have Sandberg manage in the favor of Tito coming there.

There are those in St Louis - or at least sports talking heads are saying - that Tito would be a perfect fit there.

While I am not pleased at the way things ended here, I am very pleased that he is being shown respect by many others.

Good for you, Tito!  I hope that you do well, no matter what the endeavour!  Be happpy!

::  ::   :::

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by BOSOX1941

We had championships waiting for over 80 years.  Some of the finest managers of the day.  Some of the best talent.  The managers in the 20's didn't get it done.  The managers in the 30's, when Mom and Dad graduated HS, college, post graduate programs, didn't get it done.  The managers in the shadow of the second world war didn't get it done.  The managers in my birth decade didn't get it done. None of he managers with Teddy Ballgame got it done.  The managers during my grade school years and the Impossible Dream team didn't get it done.  My favorite Yaz playued for over 20 seasons, and never had a manager who got it done .... and what happened when the Sox won the pennant?  But not the World Series?
       What happened in '86?  We should have won.  What?  The manager wasn't good enough?  He GOT US THERE!!!  
       Those were CERTAINLY Championships waiting to happen.  Only, we just didn't quite get there.  Not with Pudge Fisk in game 6, not with Manny, Papi and Pedro ....

What galls you so to give this guy credit for getting our team to a place no one else did?

Who gives a flip if he had a team ready for it?  They were ready the season before -really, really ready - what happened?  They were ready the season before that. 

Your guile is absurd.

::  ::  :::

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Tito interviews today for the cardinals job.
    Posted by jackbu

Mike Wilbon seems to think it would be a great fit.  Good baseball town, good baseball organization with rich tradition, the kind of place that could appreciate the track record Tito had in Boston and enjoy each season with a positive point of view going forward.

IF he doesn't have Albert, the job becomes tougher, but the town, the organization and the sense of tradition stay positives.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Tito interviews today for the cardinals job.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GARCIA1. Show GARCIA1's posts

if tito gets the job, the CARDS better have a bench coach to provide discipline because there will be none coming from tito. he's the "i only want to be their friend" manager. complete opposite of larussa. if the CARDS are smart, they'll take a pass on 'cona.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by BOSOX1941

hahaha.  well, i guess as long as tito is in the news, you will have a reason to post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Man without a country, Bosox1941 without Tito on the BDC forum.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Posted by BOSOX1941

I can;t believe anyone who had been long time Sox fan would use the term "Championship waiting to happen".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Tito in St. Louis? : I can;t believe anyone who had been long time Sox fan would use the term "Championship waiting to happen".
    Posted by tomnev

I know, and this from a fan born in 1941, who was alive when the great teams of the 40's with Ted Williams came up empty...wasn't 1946 a 'championship waiting to happen'?

Sections
Shortcuts