Tito on Hot Seat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from spider-man. Show spider-man's posts

Re: Tito on Hot Seat

Tito lacks the ability to motivate. He also doesn't want controversy, as in changing the line-up so players like Youk bat further down the line-up. Youk is not a clean-up hitter, he should be batting 6th, behind Ortiz. Crawford should be batting 2nd, that's his natural position, and Gonzo[that was a ball] clean-up.
     With the caliber of players the Red Sox have, even I could coach them to a 100 win season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They are never going to get rid of Terry Francona, so that is rediculous.
    Andrew Miller has pitched against weak teams and has pitched okay. I was shocked to see him pitch well against the Texas Rangers last week (lightening in a bottle), but I realistically did not think that he was going to catch lightening in a bottle twice (hence last nights abysmal performance).

Andrew Miller I do not believe has ever completed 7 innings in a game with the Red Sox team. What I am saying he is an okay 4th starter at best. He is definitely a strain on the bullpen where they have to follow him up with at least 3 innings everytime he pitches.
    Maybe he will get better in time as he builds up his pitch count and endurance strenghth, but I think posters were getting carried away with him as a playoff pitcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Tito on Hot Seat:
    [QUOTE]I know the Coma-lovers (now an official love call with some in Boston) don't want to hear this, but many are thinking that Tito has run his course. Too many seed-spitting camera shots with Sox pitchers getting annihilated! Saw it again tonight with Miller. No-one out there to calm him down...no words of support...just a whoopin with Coma FINALLY, and usually, belated, warming up some poor soul in our bullpen. The chickens are coming home to roost here and Terry will go down if we continue to flame out. It's September now, no more excuses from the Tito-lovers will be acceptable. But go ahead, say your piece.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]  MAYBE  THE  REV. WRIGHT  WILL BE THE NEXT MANAGER........  OR MAYBE  TITO & BILL-806 WILL BE GOING TO THE CUBS WITH THEO !!!!!Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat : Once again a 95+ win team doesn't have a "WINNING ATTITUDE" instilled?  The whole lot of you concern trolls are insane!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]
    Look William please be civil, I'm not a Troll, and I've probably been a Red Sox fan since long before you were born......  Just because the Red Sox FO has assembled a virtual All Star team does not mean it's gifted them with a winning attitude. That's a key part of what a manager does. And to me is really Tito's only glaring fault. 
       Watch any Yankee game. Come the 5 inning and beyond they amp up the pressure from that point forward.  A team with  winning attitude does not leave 10 -15 men on base in close games.  A team with a winning attitued can be counted on to get the key hit at the right time. 
       Sure our team may win 95+ games this year but so what if all that means is another trip to the post season as a runner up!!
       Just because I want the Sox to be the divison winners this year not a wild card team again does not make me a Troll...... Now if you would like to respond to my orginal post as an adult please do....... I would welcome an intelligent discussion on this subject.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"Watch any Yankee game. Come the 5 inning and beyond they amp up the pressure from that point forward.  A team with  winning attitude does not leave 10 -15 men on base in close games.  A team with a winning attitued can be counted on to get the key hit at the right time."

They're 11-4 vs the Yankees this year.It seems they were getting the key hits at the right time in eleven out of fifteen chances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouV. Show LouV's posts

Whether you realize it or not, The Sox have been in slide going downward!!
    And Francoma just goes with the flow. No imagination nor creative mind.
    He keeps on playing McDonald, B.A. 190, & trying to get 200 wins for Wakefield!
    With the team we have nothing less than 1st place should be acceptable. Francoma has been blessed with great teams, so he should get NO credit for
    anything. That's why he is NOT rated such a great mgr. Another also ran who
    just manages to survive by being a LACKY to upper management. With this
    roster we should be perrenial winners, not making excuses that its not important
    to win the division. We need a decisive & a born leader, which will NEVER be
    accepted in Boston. Thats why we get a stumbler like FRANCOMA!!!!!  LouV

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'll say this as simply as possible.

Tito is NOT on any "hot seat" because:

This team (that would be John Henry) has spent a lot of money in an attempt to assemble people who are the best at what they do while being both available and affordable.  That starts at the top, with Theo and the FO and works on down.  And it includes Tito as well as the players.

Tito is a proven commodity, proven over his run in Boston.  He's consistently either in the hunt or in the playoffs, and that's all one can ask for in a field manager. 

JH is NOT going to scrap this known entity just because he doesn't win the WS EVERY YEAR -especially since right now he's one of the eight managers who have a chance to win it.

Some posters can sit here and do the easiest things in the world - second guess and ridicule - but this guy's record can't be denied no matter what this minority of posters says. 

Tito's here until he's no longer successful, and that's certainly not now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i knew we were in trouble, even with youk back, when i saw connor, darnell, lowrie ss and tek in the lineup....miller was terrible too

we can get em today...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Seeing if they go get them today will really be an indicator of what is to come in October. The Red Sox need to win games like this and they have for the most part since the blip at the beginning of the season to stay on track.  A collapse of the pitching staff and constant mix and matching in the outfield now are not going to get this time ready for what should be a World Series this year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

we need ama nager who wins every game if he does hes good for the sox adn the sox shuld fiere coma and theo who plays guitar not gms' well

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]The Coma-lovers are fighting mad...I wish the Sox were! 10-0 on Sept 2nd...not acceptable!
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]
    Again ... other than you and select other posters, who is saying he's on the hot seat?

If you'd have told me in pre-season that Clay Buchholz and Daisuke Matsuzaka would have a combined 21 starts and Andrew Miller and Tim Wakefield a combined 30, I'd have guessed we'd be battling Toronto for third place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Clearly we will make it to the play offs and I guess that's good but do we really think our pitching as it currently is matches up with New York's?

Playoffs are a coin flip, but it's difficult to make the leap from the NYY having trouble beating us in the regular season to us having trouble beating them in the playoffs.

If it helps you, most NYY feel they match up very poorly in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat : still a long way from 95+ wins
    Posted by udontnojack[/QUOTE]

I'd bet we get there sometime this month.  that's not too far away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Woe is me. I don't think we'll ever win another game, much less a play off game or World Series game. No one can hit anymore, and even fewer can pitch or field...And I think I may have diverticulitis...devil (remember Rob and Wendy Whiner from SNL?)...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat : Again ... other than you and select other posters, who is saying he's on the hot seat? If you'd have told me in pre-season that Clay Buchholz and Daisuke Matsuzaka would have a combined 21 starts and Andrew Miller and Tim Wakefield a combined 30, I'd have guessed we'd be battling Toronto for third place.  
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

At the end of the day, most of the complaints are often impossibly generic.  They need to step back and figure out how many games we'd have won with a healthy Dice and a healthy Buchholz, not to mention that both Beckett and Lester have missed time as well.

We're on pace for ~98 wins.  It's not impossible that a healthy Dice with about a 4.50, and a healthy Buchholz could have put up 105 wins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]The real problem here is NOT that Francona may cost us a game once in a while.  Half of our starting pitching staff has been on the DL most of the year, and the FO did little to help. We have a line up that scores 10 runs a game one day, and then gets shut out the next day. The Yankees have been relentlessly consistent all year, and no matter what the most Sox fans would like to admit, right now sure look to me anyway like they have much better starting pitching options then we currently do.  Bottom line Tito he needs to be perfect, and simply put he like all mangers is not.   If I were to blame Tito for anything I would have to say a really good manager finds a way to instill a winning attitude in it's team. You need that attitued to help you score those key runs at key times. I just don't see that kind of emotion in our team.  If all a winning attitude gave us all season long was a few extra key hits in close games we would have a 3 or 4 game divison lead now instead of once again find ourselves trailing the hated Yankees like the very well behaved second place team we seem to settle for each year.    Clearly we will make it to the play offs and I guess that's good but do we really think our pitching as it currently is matches up with New York's?
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight....

The Sox and Yank's have been neck and neck all year both teams on pace to win 100 games...Head to head the Sox having already won the season series but somehow we find ways to gripe becasue the Sox aren't running away with it? Because clearly the Yanks are lucky that the Sox don't posses a winning attitude under Francona are underachievers with suspect winning attitude and lack the starting pitching to match up agaist the Yank's. Because clearly if they did posses a better winning attitude they'd be 3 or 4 games up....Wow!

Someone forget to tell the Yankees that...

Name one team that is currently on pace to win 100 games? That lost 2 of thier 5 opening day starters to injury, one season ending, the other their #3 guy and still managed to stay in contention for the division and have a comfortable lead in the WC. Yet they lack a winning attitude?

As for how we match up with the Yank's come post season...If the post season started today even though we wouldn't play the Yankees...cause like it or not we both will need to win a series before thr dream matchups could take place and if it did the starters for the series would look like this...

Lester v Sabathia
    Beckett v Colon
    Bedard v Garcia
    Lackey v Nova

Call me crazy but that doesn't look like either team has a decided advantage...It'll come down to who brings their A game and the same is true if you match us or them up against the Tigers or the Rangers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Tito is a good manager his record speaks for itself, is he a perfect tactician? no. But he's okay. I've said many times in here that he has throw away games, every year he throws a few games away, by sitting on his hands. Last night against Holland was not one of those, Miller stunk, and Lowrie helped Miller stink. The guy has no range at SS. He will be a big liability in crunch time.

Back to Tito, I was surprised he let Aceves go out in the 7 th against the Yanks the night before, (throw away game) Aceves had thrown 30 pitches in the 6 th, he was lucky to get out of the 6 th , Cano hit a rocket with the bases loaded , right at Lowrie, he walks the first batter on 4 pitches in the 7 th , then hits Texiera. Tito should have never sent him out there in the 7 th. He clearly didn't have his usual stuff.

Overall, the should win either the wild card , with ease, or the East if they get back on track. So Tito will be there next year, throwing a few games away, as he has done since he got here, and have them right in the pennant race as always. He's not perfect, he makes some errors, but he is a winner.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat : Francona is very successful and he appears to be a player's manager.  Francona's problem is that he may not be a good game day manager.  He often makes moves too late and often seems to give games away.
    Posted by scarhill2000[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean, people say that.  But that's a very, very easy thing to say when you are not the one that has to decide things.  In order to say that, and to have it stand up, you would need to inlcude some analysis that includes things like 1) how often would they have lost anyway if he made the move you think he should have? 2) How many other games would they loose due a depleted bullpen if he always makes the moves just when you say and especicially, 3) how many times did I think he should yank a pitcher, but he doesn't, and that pitcher recovers and does OK?

Without that sort of thought, it's nothing but second guessing, armchair managing.  And if that's all it is, I'm going to go with that fact that he has great results and the confidence of the front office, who by the way, actually DO that kind of analysis, and would obviously replace the manager if they thought they could do better.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but the sentiment you expressed is all over the message boards and I think it's just getting to be like a fad moaning complaint.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Tito on Hot Seat:
    [QUOTE]I know the Coma-lovers (now an official love call with some in Boston) don't want to hear this, but many are thinking that Tito has run his course. Too many seed-spitting camera shots with Sox pitchers getting annihilated! Saw it again tonight with Miller. No-one out there to calm him down...no words of support...just a whoopin with Coma FINALLY, and usually, belated, warming up some poor soul in our bullpen. The chickens are coming home to roost here and Terry will go down if we continue to flame out. It's September now, no more excuses from the Tito-lovers will be acceptable. But go ahead, say your piece.

You are a tool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Tito is a good manager his record speaks for itself, is he a perfect tactician? no. But he's okay. I've said many times in here that he has throw away games, every year he throws a few games away, by sitting on his hands. Last night against Holland was not one of those, Miller stunk, and Lowrie helped Miller stink. The guy has no range at SS. He will be a big liability in crunch time.

I never quite get that either.  We lost 10-0.  There was very little to be done.  Had you gotten stuck at a traffic light, you'd have missed the first 10 pitches, and the game was over at that point, in retrospect.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

[QUOTE]Listen to your friends, or whomever you trust. The worm is turning here. Those whose minds are closed or made up will continue to live in 2004. No-one hangs around forever...even Joe Torre, who was beloved in NY, got moved. Listen. In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat :

Listen to my friends? 75% of them are Yankee fans! NOT!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Tito on Hot Seat : You are a tool
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

ADG,

Not picking on you but the word is TROLL, although tool does work.

Pete 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Nasty ADG...your mother will wash your mouth out with soap! But then again, the Coma-lovers just insult the rest of us...so sad.

[QUOTE]In Response to Tito on Hot Seat : You are a tool
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat : Yeah, I mean, people say that.  But that's a very, very easy thing to say when you are not the one that has to decide things.  In order to say that, and to have it stand up, you would need to inlcude some analysis that includes things like 1) how often would they have lost anyway if he made the move you think he should have? 2) How many other games would they loose due a depleted bullpen if he always makes the moves just when you say and especicially, 3) how many times did I think he should yank a pitcher, but he doesn't, and that pitcher recovers and does OK? Without that sort of thought, it's nothing but second guessing, armchair managing.  And if that's all it is, I'm going to go with that fact that he has great results and the confidence of the front office, who by the way, actually DO that kind of analysis, and would obviously replace the manager if they thought they could do better. Not trying to be a jerk here, but the sentiment you expressed is all over the message boards and I think it's just getting to be like a fad moaning complaint.
    Posted by OhEFFU[/QUOTE]
    3. How many times did I think he should yank a pitcher, but he doesn't , and that pitcher recovers and does OK? Your spot on there baby.

That's the big reason I am loathed to criticize Tito. I can't remember how many times I have been shouting at the TV ( not really) pull the pitcher Tito, only to have the guy recover and get out of the inning. One has to honest, Tito overall is terrific, is he perfect? No one is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Nasty ADG...your mother will wash your mouth out with soap! But then again, the Coma-lovers just insult the rest of us...so sad. In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat :

No insult intended by 'Coma-lovers', though, right?  LOL Just like a hater to get all snooty and sensitive when someone strikes back.